View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Dolphins interested in Boldin? 
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Post Re: Dolphins interested in Boldin?
Alright fellas, let's hop back on topic here please.

Like I said before, if we can snag Boldin for a 3rd rounder... I have zero problem with it... at all.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Phin wrote:
[

:boo:

mmmm, no thanks, too yellow and round for my tastes
:ann0y:

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
MTFan wrote:
you should know what your talking about

I should know what my talking about?

That doesn't make sense.

:hithead: my bad, I hope Iowa doesn't see that, I've already been reprimanded once

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:27 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phin wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phin wrote:
[

mmmm, no thanks, too yellow and round for my tastes
:ann0y:

How did you manage to miss Coots's post asking us to get back on topic hours after he posted it?

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:42 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

And yet theres 3 more posts after Coots post that are off topic... we don't like locking topics fellas... so please, back to the topic.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sorry Coots, I hit reply on page four and never clicked on page five to see your post asking people to get back on topic. It was meant as a joke any ways, I was trying to lighten things (apparently the humor was missed).

At any rate, I'm a bit surprised to see interest in Porter, I figured the salary would scare the Cards away. Perhaps if we toss him in for Boldin, the demand for a third rounder (For Boldin) will decrease to a fourth or fifth?

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just to throw a new wrinkle in this, what if Miami does nothing major regarding WR? What if they think Hartline and Bess will increase their play, Camarillo is now a full season removed from his injury, Ginn still offers speed and Turner can still develop into that big target they were hoping for?

I know everyone is excited about the Boldin rumors or Dez Bryant, but I could see them using their first 3 or 4 draft picks on NT, OLB, ILB and S. With no 5th round pick and nothing in the free agency department they may just grab a guy in the 6th or 7th round, possibly even a rookie FA like Bess.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Just to throw a new wrinkle in this, what if Miami does nothing major regarding WR? What if they think Hartline and Bess will increase their play, Camarillo is now a full season removed from his injury, Ginn still offers speed and Turner can still develop into that big target they were hoping for?

I know everyone is excited about the Boldin rumors or Dez Bryant, but I could see them using their first 3 or 4 draft picks on NT, OLB, ILB and S. With no 5th round pick and nothing in the free agency department they may just grab a guy in the 6th or 7th round, possibly even a rookie FA like Bess.

This is a distinct possibility. This is actually what I figured would happen going into the offseason, but with the talk that Marshall could be leaving Denver, I got excited thinking about the possibilities. Certainly, though, WR is not a pressing need, but rather a luxury that could help this offense.
I can easily see Ginn being traded for a 3rd or 4th rounder....Spielman likes to deal picks for players. Cam Cameron would probably like to have Ginn and his family on his team.
If Miami takes a swing at Dansby, I think you'll see Crowder dealt as well for another mid round pick.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:

I have been secretly thinking this all along. If our guys take a step forward and Turner can get on the field, we dont even have room for another WR. I would LOVE to see a big play guy brought in, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not Boldin for our need for a number one receiver. Plenty to go against this decision. Injuries and IMO, not a true number one go to guy.

I wish Brandon Marshall wouldnt carry so much baggage and have such a steep value as that is the type of talent Miami could really use to create havoc on defenses.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead wrote:
I wish Brandon Marshall wouldnt carry so much baggage and have such a steep value as that is the type of talent Miami could really use to create havoc on defenses.

What a ridiculous thing to say. If that were the case, Denver would have him locked up and he'd be going nowhere...ever.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IowaFin: I have no idea what caused you to say that my comment was ridiculous.

All I was saying is that I think Brandon Marshall is THAT good as a wide receiver and thats the kind of talent Miami could really use to exploit defenses and its too bad that there are isssues with the guy in order to even consider bringing him on your team.

I really dont know how you would have interpreted my comment to be ridiculous dude.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:06 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Not to counter myself, but I really hope Miami is somewhat aggressive in targeting a receiver. They have been aggressive each year in targeting big needs.

Year 1 - Signing Smiley, Wilford and Starks to big contracts. Trading picks for Ferguson, Fasano and Ayodele.

Year 2 - Signing Wilson, Grove. Resigning Bell, Crowder and Carey to big contracts.

Unfortunately the only FA is Antonio Bryant who I would rather not target. I know TO and Torry Holt are out there but neither is appealing.

I could definitely see them staying put or drafting WR late in the draft, but it would be great if they went after Boldin or drafted Bryant.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:10 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think Boldin would be a steal for a 3rd round pick. Here is a look back in Dolphin 3rd round draft history.

2009 Patrick Turner
2008 Kendall Langford
2007 Lorenzo Booker
2006 Darek Hagan
2005 Channing Crowder
2004 Traded for Lamar Gordon
2003 (2 picks) Wade Smith & Taylor Whitley
2002 Seth McKinney
2001 (2 picks) Travis Minor & Morlon Greenwood
2000 Ben Kelly

Last edited by bobby0112 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

That list leaves a lot to be desired. Would be interesting to see a list of all 3rd round picks over the past decade who turned into big contributors for their teams.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IMO that list is a snap shot of what is wrong with the Phins today. To many blown, wasted draft picks over the last 9 years used to fill the needs of this team. If you looked at the entire drafts over the last 9 years, you would see why there are so many holes in this roster today. A lot of picks have been thrown at the QB, RB, WR positions during that time that were dismal failures. I also understand the apprehension some folks have at trying to trade draft picks to fill these needs when Miami has done such a poor job trying to do that very thing since 2000. Miami tried to fill the WR spot with Hagan & Turner in the last 4 years. Then throw in the 1st round, 9th over all, pick used for Ginn. Miami has used 3 decent picks over the last 4 years to fill this hole at WR with little to show for it.

Last edited by bobby0112 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:21 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Maybe Turner will be that big target we are looking for.....??? :) :) :) :hithead:

Look.....the guy never even saw the field on a team whose receiving corps is bottom shelf. Hartline was our most dynamic receiver.....and I think he is a darn good receiver now, but not all that explosive or dominant. Bess is a wonderful slot receiver, but he has almost no ability to produce yardage after the catch. Ginn can't seem to catch a cold and avoids contact at all times.

If Turner never saw the field with that squad.....then what makes anyone think he is ready to contribute in any meaningful way? Might as well believe in Santa Claus.

This team has spent years with no receivers worth note in a league that has shifted to pass first and pass often. Stuck on stupid.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

"Dolphins receivers. Here's a rundown of Miami's last four season leaders in receiving yardage. Davone Bess ('09, 758 yards, 2 TDs); Ted Ginn Jr. ('08, 790 yards, 2 TDs); Marty Booker ('07, 556 yards, 1 TD); Wes Welker ('06, 687 yards, 1 TD). Chris Chambers was the team's last 1,000-yard receiver with a breakout '05 (1,118 yards, 11 TDs). What would Henne give to have Welker and Chambers now? Ginn, Bess and Greg Camarillo each had one 100-yard game last season. Brian Hartline is an up-and-comer, but none of these receivers are every-week fantasy plays. Hence the need for a big-time receiver."

:) :) :) Nope, no problem there. We are LOADED at WR :youwin:

The Dolphins are stuck on stupid. Perhaps a real WR might enable us to keep pace with all those high scoring offenses? Oh yeah.....defense wins championships.....that is why the two teams in the Super Bowl featured top ten defenses.....not. Sure was a lot of flinging of that ball through the air though.....what kind of game were they playing? Marino devotees will remember.....

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:15 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

bobby0112 wrote:
I think Boldin would be a steal for a 3rd round pick. Here is a look back in Dolphin 3rd round draft history.

2009 Patrick Turner
2008 Kendall Langford
2007 Lorenzo Booker
2006 Darek Hagan
2005 Channing Crowder
2004 Traded for Lamar Smith
2002 Seth McKinney
2000 Ben Kelly

Thanks, Bobby. That is exactly how I have been looking at it. And since interest in him is decreasing, perhaps he will not be asking for Fitzgerald type of money as he once did. So, with that said, it would be obvious the Dolphins would have to hammer out a contract with him before any trade could be made.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:

2009 Patrick Turner
2008 Kendall Langford
2007 Lorenzo Booker
2006 Darek Hagan
2005 Channing Crowder
2004 Traded for Lamar Smith
2002 Seth McKinney
2000 Ben Kelly

Traded for Lamar Smith after he played for Miami from 2000-2001, and then was cut? I think you're thinking of Larmar Gordon.

Regardless, you can't take the Dolphins' crappy drafting history and make a case. Before this, Jason Taylor was a 3rd round draft pick. Steve Smith of the Panthers was a 3rd rounder, and I'd take him over Boldin.
I could list some more, but the point is there is still some talent to be had in the 3rd round that Miami has just missed. It'd be a shame to potentially miss again just because they looked at the history of their own draft picks.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:20 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

This regime has been here for 2 years. And has hit one of their 3rd rounders. It's too early to say whether or not they hit on Turner. We should really focus on this regimes track record.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

2009 Patrick Turner
2008 Kendall Langford
2007 Lorenzo Booker
2006 Darek Hagan
2005 Channing Crowder
2004 Traded for Lamar Gordon
2002 Seth McKinney
2000 Ben Kelly

Traded for Lamar Smith after he played for Miami from 2000-2001, and then was cut? I think you're thinking of Larmar Gordon.

Regardless, you can't take the Dolphins' crappy drafting history and make a case. Before this, Jason Taylor was a 3rd round draft pick. Steve Smith of the Panthers was a 3rd rounder, and I'd take him over Boldin.
I could list some more, but the point is there is still some talent to be had in the 3rd round that Miami has just missed. It'd be a shame to potentially miss again just because they looked at the history of their own draft picks.

Thanks Iowa. It was Lamar Gordon. I fixed it. I was trying to show how many times Miami has tried to fill this need for a #1 WR through the draft and come up empty. And how few impact players they have drafted recently with 3rd round picks. The decision that has to be made by this Dolphin management team is whether trading a 3rd round pick for a proven & really good WR with 3 to 4 years left in his career is better than using draft picks or signing a free agent to fill the void.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
MTFan wrote:
but throughout "history" players traded away in their prime still play at a high level with their new team

How did that trade for Jay Cutler work out for the Bears?

How did that Roy Williams trade work out for the Cowboys?

Or Deangelo Williams, who was ranked 76th in the NFL at the cornerback position by Profootballfocus?

And that is just in the past year or two alone.

Might want to brush up on your history.

Cutler was traded to a nobody team with no good receivers. Even their defense isn't very good anymore.

Roy Williams was never good.

Agreed about Deangelo Williams.

You might want to find better examples.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Rich wrote:
MTFan wrote:
Deangelo Williams plays cornerback? Time to brush up on personnel

I meant Deangelo Hall. Time to brush up on common sense.

When I make mistakes, it's always your fault.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Rich wrote:
I meant Deangelo Hall. Time to brush up on common sense.

I knew who you meant, but if you are going to banter you should know what your talking about. If I would have made that mistake you would have been all over it and probably a little harsher.

A little?

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
"Dolphins receivers. Here's a rundown of Miami's last four season leaders in receiving yardage. Davone Bess ('09, 758 yards, 2 TDs); Ted Ginn Jr. ('08, 790 yards, 2 TDs); Marty Booker ('07, 556 yards, 1 TD); Wes Welker ('06, 687 yards, 1 TD). Chris Chambers was the team's last 1,000-yard receiver with a breakout '05 (1,118 yards, 11 TDs). What would Henne give to have Welker and Chambers now? Ginn, Bess and Greg Camarillo each had one 100-yard game last season. Brian Hartline is an up-and-comer, but none of these receivers are every-week fantasy plays. Hence the need for a big-time receiver."

:) :) :) Nope, no problem there. We are LOADED at WR :youwin:

The Dolphins are stuck on stupid. Perhaps a real WR might enable us to keep pace with all those high scoring offenses? Oh yeah.....defense wins championships.....that is why the two teams in the Super Bowl featured top ten defenses.....not. Sure was a lot of flinging of that ball through the air though.....what kind of game were they playing? Marino devotees will remember.....

And Marino devotees will also remember that despite him being the best QB in a vacuum in NFL history, he didn't bring us a single championship in 17 years, and he only brought us to the big dance during his 1st season (which is nearly 30 years ago now).

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

....yeah, and fans will also remember how for most of the Marino years we had absolutely no running game and a pathetic defense. He also accomplished most of his passing records with good, but not elite, receivers. A pattern here?

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:36 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Boldin is a steal for a 3rd round pick.

This FO better not be naive and make the same mistake it did last year and say, "our young receivers will develope"...time to be agressive and go get a big time WR, and Boldin is just that. The guy is an absolute stud, and has been so from day 1.

Go get him. We've been waiting 3 off seasons for it....better late than never.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Boldin for a #3 would be a good get but clearly this is not the same guy we coveted for 3 years now. Injuries & the "heart" issue come with this guy now. Fans in Arizona still question that he was able to go this season in the playoffs & simply did not.
It seems all these available wide receivers are prima donnas. Our current core of receivers needs upgrading but to think Boldin is the instant fix we are kidding ourselves.
The decisions this regime makes on the receivers will be very interesting & could make or break the season.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Boldin for a #3 would be a good get but clearly this is not the same guy we coveted for 3 years now.

I agree, but if he were, he would cost far more than a 3rd round pick.
While he is not an instant 'fix', he is an instant upgrade/improvement to our receiving corp.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3