View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Sr Bowl practice 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Sr Bowl practice
A few things from day 1 of practice that stuck out to me from the offensive guys....

Lance Kendricks is explosive. I really like this guy. Better than average blocker, and a REALLY willing one from what I saw at Wisconsin, and what I saw today was that he's a real fluid athlete and natural pass catcher. He'll be an absolute steal for whoever grabs him in Day 2.

Jake Locker......Just no.

Darell Scott is really explosive. He looks like a RB too. Could be a steal for somebody in the late rounds.

Kendall Hunter is REALLY quick. Beats LB's with ease on 1v1 drills.

Lee Smith (TE out of Marshall) is SLOW. No thanks.

DeMarco Murray is so smooth in everything he does.

Both Boise St. WR's are really good. Both legit Day 2 guys. Pettis is really quick for his size, and Young is just straight line fast with good ball skills. Both are good route runners. Both tremendous after the catch. They brought it up on the broadcast, and I agree, Young is a poor man's Mike Wallace or Desean Jackson.

Colin Kaepernick is not a QB. Period.

John Moffit looked real good at OG. He needs to learn to be more active with his hands and feet, but those are technique and balance issues which can get resolved, IMO. He'll make a good LG or OC in the NFL.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Sr Bowl practice
Phins Rock wrote:

Jake Locker......Just no.

Colin Kaepernick is not a QB. Period.

Per Scouts Inc

Checking in on Locker
Washington's Jake Locker's day was a little bit like a microcosm of his career. He made some unbelievable throws, like one fade route in the back of the end zone. Perfect timing, perfect touch and dropped it right in. He nailed a couple skinny posts where he led the receiver and put it in the perfect spot for yards after catch. And maybe his best throw of the day was a sideline comeback route where he just drilled it with perfect timing. But he can't bottle it up and do it consistently. He had a handful throws that he made one time, but didn't do it the next time. It's that inconsistency that is frustrating. If it was just today and you saw something else on film, you could attribute the inconsistency to just being Day 1. But if this pattern continues, this isn't going be the week he needs it to be. Still, he did not have a bad day. In fact, he had the best day of the QBs here and there is no doubt who is the most naturally talented QB here.

QB check
A quick look at the QBs on the North team: Washington's Jake Locker has made some great throws, but he's inconsistent with his accuracy. The same can be said about Iowa's Ricky Stanzi. Nevada's Colin Kaepernick is throwing the ball pretty well, but his long delivery is a little concerning.
Per Rotoworld:

According to CBS Sports' Rob Rang, Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick showed "spectacular" arm strength at Senior Bowl practice Monday.
By virtually all accounts, Kaepernick was the most impressive quarterback on Monday. NFL Network's Mike Mayock also praised Kaepernick's arm power, noting that it had Eli and Peyton "giggling" at last year's Manning Quarterback Camp before Monday's eye-opening display. It's early, but Kaepernick already appears to be gaining ground on the elite draft-eligible QBs.
Source: CBS Sports

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Elite arm strength??

From what I've seen (mostly Nevada games...the practice feed from yesterday focused in on the WR's. So you could tell the accuracy, but not really the velocity of the throws) Colin has a very average arm. He can sling it down field, but in terms of getting the ball out quickly on a 15 yard out, or deep hitch, he just doesn't have the zip on his fast ball to do that.

As far as Locker, he made a few nice throws....but so did everyone. He didn't make any throw that a college level starting QB shouldn't make, but made plenty of horrendous throws, including completely missing his check down twice.

I know exactly what skinny post route they are talking about because Mayock and Davis were going nuts about it....if that's an NFL safety in a full contact practice or game, Locker either gets picked off or his WR gets KILLED.

I'm really not a fan of either of them.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Elite arm strength??

From what I've seen (mostly Nevada games...the practice feed from yesterday focused in on the WR's. So you could tell the accuracy, but not really the velocity of the throws) Colin has a very average arm. He can sling it down field, but in terms of getting the ball out quickly on a 15 yard out, or deep hitch, he just doesn't have the zip on his fast ball to do that.

As far as Locker, he made a few nice throws....but so did everyone. He didn't make any throw that a college level starting QB shouldn't make, but made plenty of horrendous throws, including completely missing his check down twice.

I know exactly what skinny post route they are talking about because Mayock and Davis were going nuts about it....if that's an NFL safety in a full contact practice or game, Locker either gets picked off or his WR gets KILLED.

I'm really not a fan of either of them.

I don't want Miami to reach for a QB just to draft one in the first round. Seems like the 4 first round projected guys are not really getting most analysts overly excited.

Again I read from Ben Volin that Miami hold Kaepernick in high regard and interviewed him last night.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Some things I noticed from today's practice (South team. Missed the North team practice this morning)...(again, focusing on the offense).

Christian Ponder - Made some decent throws, missed some as well. Arm strength a huge issue. Doesn't look like an NFL QB physically.

Andy Dalton - Looks like the stage is too big for him to be honest. He's trying to hard. It's not coming naturally to him. His throws aren't tight spirals, his accuracy is erratic, he seems to be trying to throw harder than he's comfortable with. Maybe he gets more comfortable as the week goes on. Disappointing to see him struggle.

DJ Williams - Sneaky fast. I agree with Mayock in that he's not a true TE but more of an H-back.

Kernley, WR out of TCU - Looks good. Has good speed, good routes, good hands. I like him as a round 3 guy. Could be a good pick-up to stretch the field.

Luke Stocker - Looks like a Fasano clone. Would make a good #2 TE.

Derrick Locke - Small but fast. WOW fast. Great burst. Interesting prospect. less durable version of Noel Devine.

Noel Devine - Looks to have his quickness back. Looks quicker than he did at WVU this season. Looks really small without pads.

Greg McElroy - The guy might not have a great arm. But he's so cool in the pocket, has good feet, and has good accuracy. He'll make it somewhere. He's the perfect scout team QB.

Hankerson looks slow. Not getting good separation.

Rodney Hudson does not have great downhill power. More of a zone blocking guy I think.

Danny Watkins, OG from Baylor - Looked good in 1v1's. He's 27 though. Looks like a classic LG.

James Carpenter - Looks like a really powerful OT/OG. Interesting prospect. Miami should do their HW. With coaching, he can become a stud.

Kris O-Dowd, C out of USC - Got owned in the 1v1's. Didn't use his hands or feet well. Looked real stiff.

Not much today. The coverage didn't show a ton of useful drills.

Phil Taylor - I'm only focusing on offense, but wow. If Miami needs a NT, this is a guy I want. He is POWERFUL and athletic. 330 pounds and plays like it. Really good prospect.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]