View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Dolphins interested in Boldin? 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Quote:

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 10, 2010 7:13 AM ET
Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin said last month that he won't request a trade.

But that doesn't mean other teams won't contact the Cardinals about trading for him.

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports, citing "two people in contact with the Dolphins," that the Dolphins might offer a draft pick to the Cardinals for Boldin.

According to Jackson, an offer from the Dolphins would be for a third-round pick or later. It's not known whether the Cardinals would accept a later-round pick for Boldin, but it would make sense for the team to consider moving him: The Cardinals have some good younger receivers in Steve Breaston and Early Doucet, and Arizona's offense has actually been more productive in games Boldin missed than in games Boldin played.

Per Jackson, the Dolphins are not likely to make a move for another receiver who might be available, Denver's Brandon Marshall.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/10/dolphins-interested-in-boldin/

Last edited by Ohio Phin Fan on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Post Re: Dolphins interested in Bolden?
Boldin maybe... but not Bolden ; )

IF they take a third... I'd be all over it. But I highly doubt they will.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:27 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Dolphins interested in Boldin?
wow i cant spell lol , thanks coots

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

I think they would take a 3rd. It wouldn't make sense for them to not ship Boldin this off season. His contract is up after this year, and there is no way he would resign.

Might as well get what you can now before you get nothing next year. I think a 3rd round pick works out for both teams.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:27 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I don't like injury prone players...

I'd say no because even tough he's a great player, I would try to find a player via draft or a player that doesn't get injured every 3 games. that pretty much sums it up.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

BTW... weren't we after him last year? (or something related). That being said, he got injured several times in 09, plus the Cards were actually playing better without him...

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:08 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Pennington was injury prone and won comeback player of the year and took us to the playoffs. If we could pick up Boldin for a 3rd, would you really say no to that? Our 3rd round WR we got last year hasn't even sniffed the field, Boldin is proven talent, even if he is only here for one year.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

joeschmoe wrote:
Pennington was injury prone and won comeback player of the year and took us to the playoffs. If we could pick up Boldin for a 3rd, would you really say no to that? Our 3rd round WR we got last year hasn't even sniffed the field, Boldin is proven talent, even if he is only here for one year.

Ok, you have a point.

Still... I don't think we're in a position to trade draft picks... at least not yet.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:17 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Dan wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

Ok, you have a point.

Still... I don't think we're in a position to trade draft picks... at least not yet.

I'd love to have Boldin on the roster, but I'd hate to give up our 3rd pick. Marshall is probably the only guy I'd give up a 3rd for.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Ohio Phin Fan wrote:

Man, it's bad when a redneck from Alabama can outspell ya;)

I like Boldin, but he's been injury-prone the past couple of years and is viewed as a declining player. Still, if we can get 3 good years out of him then maybe he's worth a 3rd round pick. Then we can draft two ILB with our first two picks and trade Crowder.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Great point about our 3rd pick not seeing the field, but what about our first 2nd round pick that was TOTALLY wasted on Pat White????? I'd give up a 2nd all day for Boldin!!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:21 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
Ohio Phin Fan wrote:

I like Boldin, but he's been injury-prone the past couple of years and is viewed as a declining player. Still, if we can get 3 good years out of him then maybe he's worth a 3rd round pick. Then we can draft two ILB with our first two picks and trade Crowder.

Is he really INJURY PRONE??? I know last year he got his face busted and this year he had that ankle injury, I can't remember anything else though?

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Even with the injury this year he had 84 catches and over 1000 yards. Better than any 2 of our WRs combined!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:26 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

dolphinjim wrote:
Great point about our 3rd pick not seeing the field, but what about our first 2nd round pick that was TOTALLY wasted on Pat White????? I'd give up a 2nd all day for Boldin!!

good point

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The deal makes a lot sense, but I think Miami will still have some competition to get him. I'm just curious who the sources are? While I dont think Miami can recoup a 3rd rounder by trading a player, they probably could get a 5th or 6th rounder for someone on the roster.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinjim wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Ohio Phin Fan wrote:

Is he really INJURY PRONE??? I know last year he got his face busted and this year he had that ankle injury, I can't remember anything else though?

http://www.nfl.com/players/anquanboldin ... =BOL283010

He's only played a full season twice. Those numbers are playing along side Fitzgerald in a wide open offense and against crappy NFC West defenses....yes, he's been productive, I don't deny that. I just don't think you can take those numbers and put them on the Dolphins as if nothing changes.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:00 pm

Well, Arizona never had the run game we have iowa, so Quan should be facing plenty of 1v1 match-ups, especially with Ginn's speed opposite him.

His rookie season, before Fitz got there, had nearly 1400 receiving yards, so I'm not buying the 'he was a product of Fitzgerald opposite him', argument.

The guy averages 79 yards per game, over the course of his career. In a 16 game season, that's 1265 yards.

I realize the guy has had some injuries....but it's a 3rd round pick. Yes it's a strong draft, but we're not giving up a first day pick or anything...

Last year we spent our 3rd rounder on Pat Turner....Not saying this year's will be a bust too, but for a proven stud like Quan, (who may be the only viable WR available this off season), a 3rd rounder is well worth it.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:18 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Anquan Boldin put up big numbers the years before Fitzgerald got to Arizona as well.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:32 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think he could be the big receiver we've been looking for. We have a bag full of smaller, quick guys who can catch. One burner who rarely burns. Not really a dominating physical WR who can take over a game. For a 3rd rounder, I'm game.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Earlier today, an Arizona sports radio station apparently reported that the Dolphins and Cards were in active negotiations regarding Boldin.

What about throwing in Porter with that 3rd round pick? The Cards could use a pass rusher, and could definitely use a big time locker room presense (good or bad, not sure, lol), like Porter with Dansby, Quan and Rolle likely leaving, and Warner having retired.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:29 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Just remember that a draft pick isn't a guaranteed stud. Go with the proven player and make your move for this year.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:45 pm

1984phins wrote:
Just remember that a draft pick isn't a guaranteed stud. Go with the proven player and make your move for this year.

Exactly.

Although this would be the exception....that's actually usually a terrible philosophy. Lol.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Earlier today, an Arizona sports radio station apparently reported that the Dolphins and Cards were in active negotiations regarding Boldin.

What about throwing in Porter with that 3rd round pick? The Cards could use a pass rusher, and could definitely use a big time locker room presense (good or bad, not sure, lol), like Porter with Dansby, Quan and Rolle likely leaving, and Warner having retired.

I doubt they'd want to take on Porter's contract. I'm sure they'll ask for Ginn, Bess or Camarillo to go with a pick.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Anquan Boldin put up big numbers the years before Fitzgerald got to Arizona as well.

Years? One...Anquan's rookie season was without Fitz.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Well, Arizona never had the run game we have iowa, so Quan should be facing plenty of 1v1 match-ups, especially with Ginn's speed opposite him.

His rookie season, before Fitz got there, had nearly 1400 receiving yards, so I'm not buying the 'he was a product of Fitzgerald opposite him', argument.

The guy averages 79 yards per game, over the course of his career. In a 16 game season, that's 1265 yards.

I realize the guy has had some injuries....but it's a 3rd round pick. Yes it's a strong draft, but we're not giving up a first day pick or anything...

Last year we spent our 3rd rounder on Pat Turner....Not saying this year's will be a bust too, but for a proven stud like Quan, (who may be the only viable WR available this off season), a 3rd rounder is well worth it.

Look at Chambers' rookie season. He was phenomenal. Michael Clayton's rookie year? After that, teams had tape on them and Chambers would become invisible in games and Clayton still is. So to say he's not a product of Fitz being on the other side just because he had an outstanding rookie season isn't fair. Anquan has put up numbers, yes, but how much of it was having Fitz on his other side?
Also, the idea that Miami runs the ball well means Miami would need a guy that can stretch the field. How many of Anquan's passes have been caught more than 20 yards downfield? Most of his grabs are on screens, drags, and hooks, and then he maneuvers his way for YAC.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:43 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

In 2003, the year before Larry Fitzgerald arrived Boldin put up 101 catches for 1,377 yards and 8 touchdowns and Jeff Blake was the QB for that Cardinal team.

You can make a very valid case that Fitzgerald has benefited just as much from playing with Boldin as Boldin has with Fitzgerald. You did not know what Larrry would do when he first came into the league, but you knew what you had across from Larry in Anquan.

There numbers have been remarkably similar over the years they have played together and both have benefited from playing with one another.

Is Anquan the player he was 3-4 years ago, no, but what player is. He still had 84 catches for over 1000 yards this past season and as it has been pointed out, he missed a few games this year.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:44 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

1984phins wrote:

Trading a pick or picks for a stud can be just as much of a crapshoot as drafting.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
In 2003, the year before Larry Fitzgerald arrived Boldin put up 101 catches for 1,377 yards and 8 touchdowns and Jeff Blake was the QB for that Cardinal team.

You can make a very valid case that Fitzgerald has benefited just as much from playing with Boldin as Boldin has with Fitzgerald. You did not know what Larrry would do when he first came into the league, but you knew what you had across from Larry in Anquan.

There numbers have been remarkably similar over the years they have played together and both have benefited from playing with one another.

Is Anquan the player he was 3-4 years ago, no, but what player is. He still had 84 catches for over 1000 yards this past season and as it has been pointed out, he missed a few games this year.

Sure, but I'm saying that production is not going to happen in Miami. It's the same argument with Wes Welker. Welker is an outstanding receiver, but the system he's in in New England allow him to catch 100 balls and get 1000 yards...playing along side Moss helps as well.
Anquan Boldin plays in a wide open offense, with Larry Fitzgerald. Yes, he had a great rookie season by himself, but it's not like teams geared up to stop Boldin because you could beat the Cardinals and Boldin could still get his 5 catches for 80 yards and a score every week. I'm not saying Boldin is no good, or that Welker could have done what Boldin did in Arizona.

I'm simply saying the 1000 yard season will not be attainable for Boldin elsewhere...in my opinion I guess.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:58 pm

While I still disagree, it's not even about the production, iowa. It's about him opening up the offense, making it easier on the run game and our other WR's. It's giving Henne a dependable WR he can trust on 3rd down, and a tough, pyhsical guy on the outside. It's about adding a player who knows how to get it done to a unit that does not.

Even if he does not rack up 1200+ yards, he is still a stud, and the best WR available this year.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
While I still disagree, it's not even about the production, iowa. It's about him opening up the offense, making it easier on the run game and our other WR's. It's giving Henne a dependable WR he can trust on 3rd down, and a tough, pyhsical guy on the outside. It's about adding a player who knows how to get it done to a unit that does not.

Even if he does not rack up 1200+ yards, he is still a stud, and the best WR available this year.

I just don't have a good feeling about Boldin. I'd rather have Marshall, which seems somewhat contradictory, but I feel like Marshall has another dimension to his game, and although he also brings another dimension off the field, I think he could have ridiculous production with Henne.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Marshall is one of the top 2 or 3 most talented WR's in the NFL....but he'd also cost way more. I don't think he's an option, especially with his ... mental state.

Boldin's the best WR available....I say go out and get em'!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:35 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin, I am a fan of most of your post, but we obviously disagree on Anquan, and that's fine. For what it's worth, at this point I would rather have Brandon Marshall over Anquan right now as well because one is 25 and hitting his prime and the other one is 29 and will be 30 when we get into the season.

But IF Denver does not bring Marshall back, I can't see them not putting the 1st and 3rd round tender on Marshall. Miami can possibly get Quan for a 3rd, then get Rolando McClain in the 1st and take Terrence Cody in the 2nd round.

It certainly will be entertaining to see how all this plays out. Personally, the move I would love to see Miami make is signing Karlos Dansby and booting Channing Crowder butt to the curb. Team him with McClain and you have a HUGE upgrade at the ILB position.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:38 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

this is at the top for most ridiculously misplaced posts

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:43 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
1984phins wrote:

Trading a pick or picks for a stud can be just as much of a crapshoot as drafting.

What is your reasoning? I can understand it being a crapshoot when your getting an older player, but Boldin is in his twenties.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin, I am a fan of most of your post, but we obviously disagree on Anquan, and that's fine. For what it's worth, at this point I would rather have Brandon Marshall over Anquan right now as well because one is 25 and hitting his prime and the other one is 29 and will be 30 when we get into the season.

But IF Denver does not bring Marshall back, I can't see them not putting the 1st and 3rd round tender on Marshall. Miami can possibly get Quan for a 3rd, then get Rolando McClain in the 1st and take Terrence Cody in the 2nd round.

It certainly will be entertaining to see how all this plays out. Personally, the move I would love to see Miami make is signing Karlos Dansby and booting Channing Crowder butt to the curb. Team him with McClain and you have a HUGE upgrade at the ILB position.

I think the Denver front office has gotten so ridiculous, and Josh McDaniels is such an ego maniac that they will let Marshall walk. I don't see anybody throwing a 1st and 3rd at him.
If, however, it requires a 1st and 3rd to get him, I say forget it. Also, I say forget it when it comes to giving up any sort of pick for a player. If they do, I'd want it to be for Marshall...such a freakin' stud.
Marshall can take this offense from good to great. McClain, Hughes, then a NT would be a great draft. I think you could also get a late round ILB that would be an upgrade over Crowder. I could also see Crowder being traded for a 4th rounder because in this year's draft you can find a ILB that late.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:

this is at the top for most ridiculously misplaced posts

How do you figure? Phins Rock posted a video of Boldin after I said I'd rather have Marshall. So I posted a video of Marshall.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Marshall is one of the top 2 or 3 most talented WR's in the NFL....but he'd also cost way more. I don't think he's an option, especially with his ... mental state.

Boldin's the best WR available....I say go out and get em'!

So you're saying Boldin is in the top 3 of best receivers in the NFL?

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:47 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
So I posted a video of Marshall.

alright, you get a pass. Thought for a second everyone was going to start posting videos of WR's around the league when the topic is "Dolphins interested in Boldin"

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next