View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Henne: Draft a receiver at #12 "who's 6-3 and can run" 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Henne: Draft a receiver at #12 "who's 6-3 and can run"
Greg Stoda wrote:
Now, though, Henne is Miami's most clearly identified quarterback-of-the-future since Marino left the building. As such, Henne has a wish list should, for example, Dolphins czar Bill Parcells ask his advice on using this year's first-round (12th overall) NFL Draft pick.

"A big receiver," Henne said. "Somebody who's 6-3 and can run. I like our receivers, but we don't have a power guy, We do a lot of finesse stuff."

Hmmm. A 6-3 burner.

Sounds like a Braylon Edwards, who was Henne's teammate at Michigan.

"I didn't say Braylon," Henne said, "but somebody like him would be good."

Somebody like him would be better than good.

Somebody like him would be another element toward getting Henne to a Super Bowl as a participating quarterback rather than one left to shake his head at the radio-row media glut in his NFL home city.

Mr. Parcells?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dol ... 15871.html

RotoWorld wrote:
Of course, Edwards and Henne were college teammates at Michigan and Edwards will be a restricted free agent. Options in the draft include: Dez Bryant, Brandon LaFell, and Arrelious Benn.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... _teams=MIA

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Henne: Draft a receiver at #12 "who's 6-3 and can run"
I'm okay with getting someone 'like' Braylom Edwards, just not Braylon Edwards. He made more plays this season then he ever has, but if Ted Ginn gave you headaches with his drops, Braylon Edwards would make your head explode.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:17 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I'm surprised Henne would say it out loud, but I'm happy to hear it. He may not be as subtle about it;), but just like Marino, he's a perfectionist and will not settle for anything less from himself, or his players.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I am glad Henne is being outspoken as the way he is coming across is still respectful to the other receivers, but getting his opinion out. He obviously recognizes Miami needs a big time playmaker on offense. If Miami does bring in a Dez Bryant or someone with that type of ability, that will help continue to improve the rest of our receivers production.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:43 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wow....so Henne's choice for the Dolphins wasn't an inside linebacker :ann0y:

If Henne doesn't think our receiving corps has all the pieces we need, then maybe the rest of the brain trust and others might finally see the light :hithead:

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:33 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

That was a good read. As far as getting a WR with our 12th pick I don't agree even though WR is a big need but our defense is definitely a bigger need IMO. But I guess it all depends who's there when we pick.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

GIVE ME ARRELIOUS BENN!!

Illinois didn't know how to take advantage of his skills, but the guy is a beast/stud! Any projections on where he will go yet?

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:45 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I like Arrelious Benn also, but there only one Dez Bryant. The kid is the truth and he can definately be the big WR Chad Henne needs.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:59 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He looks very good in the open field....sets up defenders well with his ability to shift gears and change direction. Not a lot of highlights there of him in traffic though.....how tough is he? Will he elevate over defenders and come away with the ball?

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:06 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
He looks very good in the open field....sets up defenders well with his ability to shift gears and change direction. Not a lot of highlights there of him in traffic though.....how tough is he? Will he elevate over defenders and come away with the ball?

Great question. He is 6'2" 220 lbs and VERY physical. As for his leaping abilities, I cannot say for sure where he is with that. I guess that's what we have the combine for; we will see.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Arrelious Benn Scouting Report
Projected Draft Position
by FFToolbox Writers
Ben Standig's 2/3 Mock Draft Round 1: #25 by BAL
Forrest N. Long's 2/3 Mock Draft Not selected
Randall Weida's 2/1 Mock Draft Round 2: #11 by MIA
Joel Welser's 2/1 Mock Draft Not selected
Raul Colon's 1/25 Mock Draft Round 1: #21 by CIN
Ricky Dimon's 1/18 Mock Draft Round 1: #22 by BAL

Position: WR
School & Year/Status: Illinois - Junior
Jersey Number: #9
Height & Weight: 6'2 - 220 lbs.
Ranked #16 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
person
Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois
Arrelious has made a wise move in declaring for the 2010 NFL draft. Benn has great size for the position, and also possesses elite speed compared to many of this years' other receiving prospects. Benn has been a starter since the beginning of his freshman year in Champaign. During that time, he has found a wide variety of ways to contribute for the Illini. During his three year career at Illinois, Benn has amassed 2221 yards receiving on 159 catches for an average of 13.9 yards per catch. He has caught 7 touchdown passes and also run for three scores. Benn doesn't just display his playmaking skills on offense, he is also a valuable contributor to Illinois' special teams. He has returned 42318 kickoffs in his career for an average of 23.7 yards, and returned one for a touchdown his freshman year. Benn had a disappointing 2009, due mostly to frequent double teams by opposing secondaries and underwhelming quarterback play. Benn has all the physical tools to be an All-Pro wide receiver in the NFL, but will have to work on sharpening his route running if he wants to succeed on the next level. If Benn shows improvement in his route running during the combine and workouts he could sneak into the first round, but likely will be drafted early in round two.

The only 40 time I found was 4.4, but I don't know if that is accurate or not.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:17 am

Phin, a 4.4 looks about right. Very good, but not elite speed.

If we are going to settle, and go with WR in Rd. 2, I would want it to be Damian Williams. I don't know if he has the proto-typical number 1 WR measurables in terms of size, but he's a very good and explosive WR who, like Benn, did not get used very well at USC this past year.

The only problem I have with him is that he seems to be a sideline WR. If you watch the highlights, you'll know what I mean.

Couldn't find a highlight vid. of just him in the Emerald Bowl, but a lot of these are him. He tore up BC's secondary for 189 on 12 rec. and was the MVP of the game. It's too painful for me to watch, but you guys enjoy;-).

Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Williams from USC is 6'1 and 195 lbs. He really has good open field vision. Uses his blocks well and displays some nice patience there. He looks to have outstanding acceleration. Again....I just don't see enough on highlight reels to see if he can leap well and fight for the ball in traffic....He might be an outstanding slot wide receiver or return man based on what you see here, but not necessarily the big body we need to go up for the ball and come down with it in traffic. Nothing is for sure though....who would have thought Desean Jackson was going to be so prolific in the NFL? His size was a major issue prior to the draft, but obviously he has such great speed and ability to beat press coverage that it was proven to be not a problem at all. Maybe Damien Williams will be similar?

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Here is the guy we need.....Dez Bryant. His highlight reel shows some nice leaping ability and catches in traffic. He runs with deceptive speed.....looks like he is gliding along and the separation created is incredible.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The offense can score. On the flips side, the defense can't keep other teams from scoring. Draft defense, or next season will be a long one.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin, a 4.4 looks about right. Very good, but not elite speed.

I'm not sure how you can look at a highlight real and tell me he has 4.4 speed, 4.3 speed, or 4.6 speed, but ok?
Most of the stuff I have read on Benn has said that he has elite speed at the NFL level. A 4.4 is very fast, not sure it's 'elite', but it ain't slow. Really it only matters how fast a guy can run with pads on. I don't care what a guy runs without pads.

Phins Rock wrote:
If we are going to settle, and go with WR in Rd. 2, I would want it to be Damian Williams. I don't know if he has the proto-typical number 1 WR measurables in terms of size, but he's a very good and explosive WR who, like Benn, did not get used very well at USC this past year.

Too small for what we need and I really don't like what has come out of USC for receivers, they have not excelled in the NFL. I would like to see a guy with that 6'2"-4" height and over 195 lbs.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Phin. Steve Smith made the Pro Bowl just this past year, a WR with a lot of similarities to Williams, and out of USC.

I like Benn and Williams, but to me, if you are going to draft one, go big or forget it. Go get Bryant, or don't. I'd rather get a veteran, but if we feel we need to take care of D in FA, and finish up Offense in the draft, take Bryant at 12.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:44 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins, Steve Smith went to Utah and I would not compare Damien Williams to Steve Smith.

Miami has 9 picks and they can use the majority of those picks for defense and should. Miami finished 15th in scoring offense at 22.5 points a game and were 25th in scoring defense giving up 24.4 points a game.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:14 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
The offense can score. On the flips side, the defense can't keep other teams from scoring. Draft defense, or next season will be a long one.

ditto

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:39 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins, Steve Smith went to Utah and I would not compare Damien Williams to Steve Smith.

Miami has 9 picks and they can use the majority of those picks for defense and should. Miami finished 15th in scoring offense at 22.5 points a game and were 25th in scoring defense giving up 24.4 points a game.

I wasn't talking about THE Steve Smith, SC.......The Giant Steve Smith went to USC, and made the Pro Bowl this year.

:ann0y:

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin. Steve Smith made the Pro Bowl just this past year, a WR with a lot of similarities to Williams, and out of USC.

I like Benn and Williams, but to me, if you are going to draft one, go big or forget it. Go get Bryant, or don't. I'd rather get a veteran, but if we feel we need to take care of D in FA, and finish up Offense in the draft, take Bryant at 12.

Umm, Dez Bryant won't be there in the 2nd round, whereas Benn might. I don't think taking a WR at #12 is Parcell's style, nor do I think it would be wise.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I guess Henne is just not as smart as many folks on this board. Sure.....pass on Dez and take a linebacker......if that happens, then this organization is stuck on stupid. The only way that is a good move is if we have made a trade for Brandon Marshall....and that probably costs your high pick anyway.

Our defense needs a lot of help too....and every pick after the 1st one should probably go there....but passing on Dez Bryant is just a stupid move. It would be a great match of BPA and need. Parcells might not think it is a good move, but he is probably already planning on his next job anyway.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Sorry Chad, we will get you a WR in free agency who is 6'3" and can run, but we need DEFENSE in the 1st round!

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:29 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I can honestly say that looking at what our options seem to be right now in February... I can't really find a guy that I'd be "upset" taking at #12... at least from the options that everyone here has laid out.

Whether it be McClain or Bryant or Kindle... whatever... I think any of them would be fine pickups.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I guess Henne is just not as smart as many folks on this board. Sure.....pass on Dez and take a linebacker......if that happens, then this organization is stuck on stupid. The only way that is a good move is if we have made a trade for Brandon Marshall....and that probably costs your high pick anyway.

Our defense needs a lot of help too....and every pick after the 1st one should probably go there....but passing on Dez Bryant is just a stupid move. It would be a great match of BPA and need. Parcells might not think it is a good move, but he is probably already planning on his next job anyway.

It has nothing to do with who is smarter. Henne simply stated he wanted a true number one receiver to throw to. Its a request, not a statement of that being the most pressing need on the team.
MOST receivers take 3 years to develop before they start posting solid numbers. Do we want to spend a first round pick on a player that may not contribute for another 3 years? I can honestly say that I'm not big on that gamble. I'd add to defense in the first round and then address the offense in the 2nd or 3rd (IF we havent answered the receiver issue via FA). Passing on Bryant isn't a 'stupid move' as you state, it's simply a difference of philosophy.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I will not say taking Dez Bryant at #12 is stupid, but if he is not a consideration at #12, it would be a disapointment.

And for the folks saying the offense scored points, if you think 22 points a game is were Miami needs to be, then you are sadly mistaken.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I don't know much about any of these guys but after watching the highlight reels it looks as though Bryant is the man. His video has a lot of high traffic catches, good ball adjustment skills. Benn's reel looked weak. A lot of wide open catches, nothing spectacular.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Benn's reel looked weak. A lot of wide open catches, nothing spectacular.

Thats because of the offense he played in; he has the size and tools to be a true #1, a guy who can catch in traffic. I think the combine will tell us a lot more about these fellas. I would take Bryant over Benn as well, but I am fairly opposed to taking a receiver in the first this year. That's why I mention Benn, there is a chance he is there in the 2nd round and I believe him to be the 2nd best receiver in the draft.

Note: If Marshall leaves the Broncos this year, I think you could see them take Bryant just ahead of us at #11.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The question should be what is the most realistic scenario for Miami? I know a lot of guys want Bryant drafted, some want a trade for Boldin, and others want neither.

If I had to guess Miami waits until the 2nd or 3rd round to draft a WR. I've read they like Brandon LaFell and will admit I dont know much about him, Arrelious Benn or Damian Williams.

And I'm not so sure a WR in the 2nd round is a given. I think McClain or a pass rushing OLB will be selected in Round 1. If a pass rushing OLB, Brandon Spikes, or even Dan Williams fell to the 2nd round they might grab them (think Philip Merling in 08) instead.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That stuff about WR's taking 3 yrs to develop is horse hockey. Recent drafts have proved otherwise. Last year's draft was chock full of guys who made meaningful contributions to their team. The NFL is clearly a passing league now....the running game can win games....but it requires consistency on long drives, so the odds are against you. You also must have a top defense if you rely on your running game, because you can't play catch up. Look at the playoff teams this year. The majority of them featured high-powered passing games and that was definitely true of the Super Bowl contestants. It appears we finally found the QB to lead our team. We have the running game, but between age and injury that window will close shortly. Let's bring in a true #1 receiver. Put that kind of player out there with Hartline, Ricky and Ronnie and watch defenses suddenly give us more respect. No more stacking up and daring us to throw deep if we have a weapon that makes that work. Play action would become positively awesome if we had a receiver who actually could be counted to fight for some jump balls and win the battle....on top of having the speed to go deep.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Frusterated. It does take 3 years for a WR to develope.

Last year's leading rookie WR was Percy Harvin...But 790 yards and 6 TD's isn't number 1 quality, and most of those were in the slot.

While a WR might be able to make an impact right away, it is extremely rare that you see a WR have an Anquan Boldin, or an Andre Johnson type of rookie season.....and there isn't an Andre Johnson in this year's draft.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:31 am
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

Phins Rock wrote:
Frusterated. It does take 3 years for a WR to develope.

Last year's leading rookie WR was Percy Harvin...But 790 yards and 6 TD's isn't number 1 quality, and most of those were in the slot.

While a WR might be able to make an impact right away, it is extremely rare that you see a WR have an Anquan Boldin, or an Andre Johnson type of rookie season.....and there isn't an Andre Johnson in this year's draft.

DeSean Jackson
1st year - 912 yards receiving, 96 yards rushing
2nd year - 1214 yards receiving, 146 rushing

I wouldn't call a receiver having a great 1st year "extremely rare".

Jackson was the 18th pick in second round. I think if Parcells and Company do their homework we can address defense and Wr this year.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
I will not say taking Dez Bryant at #12 is stupid, but if he is not a consideration at #12, it would be a disapointment.

And for the folks saying the offense scored points, if you think 22 points a game is were Miami needs to be, then you are sadly mistaken.

Scoring 22+ is a heck of a lot better, and gives a team MUCH better chances at winning, than allowing 24+. I'm not saying that we don't need help, but when put in perspective what our O scores is not nearly as troubling as what our D allows.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:

Miami scored a touchdown more than that with Brown in the line up....and still lost games. What does that tell you?

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:26 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Miami scored a touchdown more than that with Brown in the line up....and still lost games. What does that tell you?

we need to score more points

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:14 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

If we can't hold opponents under 30 ppg then we will be in serious trouble, with or without an explosive offense.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Lol..you could say that, yes.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
I don't know much about any of these guys but after watching the highlight reels it looks as though Bryant is the man. His video has a lot of high traffic catches, good ball adjustment skills. Benn's reel looked weak. A lot of wide open catches, nothing spectacular.

I dont judge anything on highlight reels...
My basic breakdown goes something like this.

Games Played -
Stats Per Game -
Teamates of same position -
Team Orientaion (defense minded/passing team/running team)

All these can be taken into account...

For me, a guy like McClain, coming from a defensive program run by he whos name we dont speak, with some of the other talented players at his position is a shoe in for 12 if available. The guy is going to be a star.
Comparable to Clay Mathews who we let go by in order to take Davis (a choice that is equally just as good) but Mathews was a ROY candidate, while Davis was not. Coaching/System may play a role in that.

As far as WR's go, a guy like Bryant seems to be a very good fit for our system. He comes from a run hungry school, they avg more yards per game rushing than passing and being a top WR in that system gives me the idea that he was able to make routine catches along with his highlight reel stuff. The quick corner routes and sideline stuff is what I like.

Just my 2 cents.. I would be happy with either one of these two... But, if they are both gone, we need a NT...
Cody is my first choice, and Dan Williams is my second...

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:36 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

10acjed wrote:
Stats Per Game -
Teamates of same position -

even though a teams top WR is usually doubled or covered by the opposing teams best CB, leaving other WR's open?

10acjed wrote:
As far as WR's go, a guy like Bryant seems to be a very good fit for our system. He comes from a run hungry school, they avg more yards per game rushing than passing and being a top WR in that system gives me the idea that he was able to make routine catches along with his highlight reel stuff. The quick corner routes and sideline stuff is what I like.

OK State runs the spread offense, you do run the ball well, but I wouldn't call a team that runs the spread a run hungry school.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]