View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Phinsider: A quick look at free agent inside linebackers 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinsider: A quick look at free agent inside linebackers
Quote:
A quick look at free agent inside linebackers
by Matty I
Feb 4, 2010

We're now just about a month away from the beginning of free agency in the NFL. So I think it's time to start talking about some of the free agents who could be available once free agency begins in March.

But do keep in mind that we're going off the assumption that there will be no new collective bargaining agreement reached, meaning 2010 will be without a salary cap. Therefore, we'll be using those "uncapped season restrictions" we've talked about when discussing the potential free agents.

It's also important to remember that more often than not we spend all this time talking about free agents only for the Dolphins to not make any plays for the top free agents out there. So let's try to keep this somewhat realistic.

With that said, we'll kick off our look at potentially available free agents with those who could play the inside linebacker position in Miami's 3-4 defense - a position that the Dolphins could clearly use an upgrade.

Karlos Dansby, Cardinals - Dansby is the cream of the crop at inside linebacker and is only 28 years old (he'll be 29 in November). According to reports, there have been no talks about a contract extension. And the Arizona Republic thinks that Dansby will make it to free agency this year after being slapped with the franchise tag the past two seasons. Dansby has the size and speed to be a star in Mike Nolan's aggressive 3-4 defense. But would the Dolphins consider giving Karlos upwards of $30 million in guaranteed money? Personally, I hope so.

DeMeco Ryans, Texans - Ryans is a pure stud at middle linebacker in Houston. But he's only 25 years old and is a restricted free agent. That means even if the two sides can't reach a long-term deal, it would be very costly for the Dolphins to try to steal Ryans away. He's also never played in a 3-4 - so that could be a little bit of a risk. Most likely, of course, he'll end up back in Houston - they'd be crazy to let him go.

The Rest of the Article

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Phinsider: A quick look at free agent inside linebackers
Ugh the lack of a CBA kills any options really.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:11 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Dansby would be a beast under Mike's system I think,but I don't think we'll get him. Sure hope we do.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:59 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I would get Dansby for the right price... The more I think about it the more I like it.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:30 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Yup, I brought up the idea of Dansby a few weeks ago on here and it's one of the moves that I would really love to happen.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:52 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dan wrote:
I would get Dansby for the right price... The more I think about it the more I like it.

Why so concerned about the price? There are no salary cap ramifications in this scenario and he's going to be UFA. This off season could easily turn into an arms race where owners just pay more and more money to try to lure the best players without any negative ramifications. Karlos Dansby may easily net the largest LB contract in history. I'm certain Peyton Manning will sign the largest contract in NFL history this off season as teams won't have the "i have to keep everyone under the cap" bargaining chip.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dan wrote:

He's going to command good money and be worth it compared to other linebackers. I think we should go out and pay for one high priced free agent, and I would be happy with Dansby as that guy.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Karlos Dansby was a guy I bought up last year, but Arizona ended up putting the franchise tag on him last year. He is everything that Channing Crowder is not at the ILB position, a playmaker. He good in pass coverage as he has 10 career interceptions, 2 returned for touchdowns. He has 25.5 career sacks and 442 solo tackles in his 6 year career.

He is 28 years old and will be 29 once into the football season. Needless to say, he would be a huge upgrade over Akin to say the least or any other ILB on Miami's roster.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I also wouldn't mind looking at Kirk Morrison, he is one of the few bright spots on the Raiders. 496 tackles, 7 interceptions, though he only has 5 sacks total.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:13 am

Could you imagine getting Dansby and drafting McClain??? OMG I just got excited!!

Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]