View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Tyler Thigpen wants blame for Bears loss 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Tyler Thigpen wants blame for Bears loss
Quote:
by: Omar Kelly November 19th, 2010 | 1:49 PM “I put the blame on me.”
That’s what Miami Dolphins quarterback Tyler Thigpen said after his team’s disappointing 16-0 loss to the Chicago Bears, and it’s exactly what I wanted to hear.
Even though it’s not accurate, or fair, it’s what a good leader would say. It’s what I’d expect the 15th quarterback to start since Dan Marino to say after his unit contributed just 187 yards of total offense.

The offensive line looked like Swiss cheese. The Dolphins played the second-half of the game without Brandon Marshall, who suffered a hamstring injury, and the running game was invisible.
But someone had to stand in front of the bullet and it would have absolutely bothered me if Thigpen didn’t do it.

Sure he’s a No.3 quarterback. Sure he was being harassed all game by the Bears offensive line, which mustered six sacks on him. His unit converted JUST ONE of 11 third-downs.
His QB rating was a disappointing 63.4 percent despite completing 17-of-29 passes for 187 yards and scrambling for 27 yards on six attempts.
But at least Thigpen had enough sense, conviction, and leadership savvy to take one for the team.
Those who have followed me for a while are aware of my dislike for quarterbacks (it’s the defender in me). There’s too much credit given to them in victories, and too much blame pointed their direction in losses.
But I’ve learned to respect those who don’t have a habit of blame shifting, even if it’s done subtly (and I’m not hinting that any quarterback on the Dolphins roster does that).
Despite what you thought about Thigpen’s performance, which coach Tony Sparano even admits would be difficult to judge under Thursday night’s circumstances, you’ve got to respect the fact he took one for the team.
Deuces.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... ent-385515

Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Tyler Thigpen wants blame for Bears loss
Quote:
MikeBerardino RT @mortreport: RT @cohn99: @mortreport gotta ask if you are still so so high on Thigpen after last night's game? > Yes

http://www.phins.com/phins-urls.html

Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Quote:
Sure he’s a No.3 quarterback. Sure he was being harassed all game by the Bears offensive line, which mustered six sacks on him.

Wow, the game was worse than I thought if the Bears' O Line was sacking our QB. :)

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thigpen has good character and really is a good QB. The poor kid was running for his life last night. I would love to see this kid behind the 1's. LOVE!

Really, I think we went in to the season deeper than the Eagles at QB.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think he is a career backup. You give a defense a week to plan for the guy, even with a healthy team around him, you can figure out a way to frustrate him. The guy has one victory in his 12 starts, and that came against Miami. There is something to be said for that. I like him as a backup, but only if the plays for a quarter or two. I don't ever care to see him starting games for us again.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:01 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Thigpen has good character and really is a good QB.

He's won one game in his career. Wow, what's a bad QB in your opinion then? A QB that wins no games?

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:01 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I'd be more impressed if Dan Henning would stand up and take blame for a loss one of these days.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Lokki wrote:
I'd be more impressed if Dan Henning would stand up and take blame for a loss one of these days.

That isn't going to happen. The guy needs to retire NOW.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:11 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Phin wrote:
The guy has one victory in his 12 starts, and that came against Miami. There is something to be said for that.

I don't think they won that game. If I remember right Fasano caught the game winner in the final seconds.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thigpen's performance should make everyone appreciate Henne a lot more. You see how much Thigpen struggled with our offensive problems and it shows you just how good is Henne that he could overcome such poor playcalling and execution and still have us sitting at 5-4 before this last game. If we had an easier schedule I think Henne would have us sitting at 7-3 or better right now. I'm convinced that Henne is still our quarterback of the future, he just needs to get healthy and return.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:52 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It sounds to me as if he's drinking the Kool-Aid ....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3089

Are these guys brainwashed?

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:
I think he is a career backup. You give a defense a week to plan for the guy, even with a healthy team around him, you can figure out a way to frustrate him. The guy has one victory in his 12 starts, and that came against Miami. .

KC beat Oakland in '07. Not Miami. In a few years if he can harness his ability into a offense & reduce the improv then he will be a starter. He has the arm & I believe the intelligence.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Ski_Money wrote:

Then Henne is a hall of famer.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:

Let's keep Tyler Thigpen in perspective here: his career record as a starter is 1-11. He is NOT what anyone might consider a good QB. He is 3rd string for a reason. It was very obvious on Thursday night that this team does not believe in him as a player or a leader.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:31 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Consider where we've seen him. A Dolphins team with only 1 starter left on the OL playing hurt? Or a Chiefs team so decimated it couldn't win more than 1 game (we know how that is). Give him the protection Michael Vick is getting and see what happens.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:50 am

Ski_Money wrote:
Consider where we've seen him. A Dolphins team with only 1 starter left on the OL playing hurt? Or a Chiefs team so decimated it couldn't win more than 1 game (we know how that is). Give him the protection Michael Vick is getting and see what happens.

Even when he had time, his passes were erratic. The only thing he has going for him is he can run.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He had a lot of them tipped. I'm not saying he's the 2nd coming, I'm saying I don't think he's had a fair shake yet and I like what he's done with what he's had.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Ski_Money wrote:
He had a lot of them tipped. I'm not saying he's the 2nd coming, I'm saying I don't think he's had a fair shake yet and I like what he's done with what he's had.

Well maybe he shouldn't be throwing them in such a way that defenders are able to get a hand on them. Isn't part of being a QB finding the throwing lanes? A mobile guy like him should have an easier time of that.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:21 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

He couldn't have handed those two passes to Marshall any better. Those two drops in the first quarter along with his stupidity killed any offensive momentum the team might have gotten started.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Marshall's play and antics over the last couple weeks has been very grating. You have to expect, no demand, more professionalism than that.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Thigpen's performance should make everyone appreciate Henne a lot more. You see how much Thigpen struggled with our offensive problems and it shows you just how good is Henne that he could overcome such poor playcalling and execution and still have us sitting at 5-4 before this last game. If we had an easier schedule I think Henne would have us sitting at 7-3 or better right now. I'm convinced that Henne is still our quarterback of the future, he just needs to get healthy and return.

Could Henne also overcome an offensive line like the one marched out there on Thursday? You know the one with a our anchor LT playing with 1 arm .... the one with Incognito playing center, McQuistan at left guard, and Vernon hobbled with his injuries .... What about playing without the only offensive player who requires any attention? Since we have absolutely no run game, it gets even worse for the WR's out there without Marshall commanding doubles and triples.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:

Precisely Ski ..... he was passing out of pocket the size of a phone booth. Those tipped passes were from D-lineman eating their way up field. When he did have time his completions were on the money. He put the ball in places that made life easier on the receiver. They didn't have to make plays to get the ball .... and let's face it the only guy even capable of doing that is Marshall, but even he was still dropping them.

The argument that he's a 3rd stringer is a little murky. Had Pennington not come back he would have been our No.2 ..... In fact we probably had one of the more desirable QB situations prior to these injuries.

Alas, a Dolphins team decimated by injuries playing on 3 days rest and 12 games with a decimated KC Chiefs team that was the laughingstock of the league that year is no way to judge this kid's talents or potential. In fact check this out:

KC's offensive output in their first five games without him as the starter: 8, 14, 0, 10
KC's offensive output the rest of the season with him as the starter: 24, 27, 19, 20, 31, 20, 17, 21, 31, 6

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]