View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 rex ryan at it again 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post rex ryan at it again
Rex Ryan lets his finger do the talking
Posted by Mike Florio on January 31, 2010 2:16 PM ET
Jets coach Rex Ryan, who made a name for himself in his first year as a head coach by constantly running his mouth, communicated with another part of his anatomy while attending Saturday night's "Strikeforce" event in South Florida.

Our pal Brooks has the photo of Ryan giving the middle finger. (Jorge Sedano of 790 The Ticket and the Miami Herald passed the photo along to Brooks.)

Regardless of the words or behavior that precipitated the gesture, an NFL head coach needs to have slightly thicker skin. (Figuratively, not literally.) And if he was only "kidding around," Ryan needs to consider tweaking his sense of humor, especially when in the presence of a stranger with a cell phone.

If Ryan can do neither of those things, why in the hell is he attending a public event like this in Miami?

Of course, it didn't help matters that Ryan told the crowd over the P.A. system that he plans to beat the Dolphins twice in 2010. (And that would be two more times than he beat them in two 2009 encounters.)

There also was a slightly newsy item in Ryan's comments. He said that he'll be sending "a bunch" of his guys to work out with Randy Couture and Jay Glazer in the offseason. Couture and Glazer have been providing MMA training to an increasing number of NFL players during the offseason.

If Ryan plans to continue to give random folk the finger, he might need some of that training for himself. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/31/re x-ryan-lets-his-finger-do-the-talking/?related=1
Photo: Rex Ryan’s Middle Finger At Fans In Miami
Posted by Brooks on Jan. 31, 2010, 1:49pm

Jorge Sedano of 790 The Ticket in Miami and the MIAMI HERALD sent me this photo today of Rex Ryan flipping off fans last night at the MMA Strikeforce event in Miami:

Rex Ryan Gives Fans Middle Finger At Miami Strikeforce MMA Event

Background on the shot from Sedano:

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/photo-rex ... iami-27737

Last edited by moley on Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: rex ryan at it again
Oh calm down. He's allowed to flip the bird.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:08 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
Oh calm down. He's allowed to flip the bird.

everybody is allowed to but it is classless

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:04 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Maybe a coach should be held to higher standards but we loved when Brian Cox did it.

But I agree Iowa ... with all else going on , its really no big deal.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:18 pm

FINesse wrote:
Maybe a coach should be held to higher standards but we loved when Brian Cox did it.

Cox had good reason.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

That's a really bad angle to take that picture from...he looks a bit tipsy there :P

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:35 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Cox had good reason.

And how do you know Ryan didn't?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:49 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

From what I heard there was a Phins fan barking in his ear all night about the Jets suckin and stuff... so the guy prolly had good premise to turn around and flip him the bird... I would've.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 am

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Cox had good reason.

And how do you know Ryan didn't?

I was being sarcastic.

And PZ....there was a Dolphin fan giving him you-know-what? That's a disgrace...

...There should have been at least a half a dozen running him out of the place.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
I was being sarcastic.

And PZ....there was a Dolphin fan giving him you-know-what? That's a disgrace...

It's not necessary to lower our fan base to the level of a Jets fan, or even a Jets coach.

Let him have his fun now, come next year, he'll be crying again when he's swept by the Phins for a 2nd consecutive year.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
I was being sarcastic.

It's not necessary to lower our fan base to the level of a Jets fan, or even a Jets coach.

Let him have his fun now, come next year, he'll be crying again when he's swept by the Phins for a 2nd consecutive year.

Yeah, that's why I'm so upset about this tattling on him. The more exposure this guy gets, and the more riled up we get about every little thing he does, the more power he thinks he has over the Dolphins community.
Let his fat butt do he wants, and don't cry foul everytime he does something stupid. We know he's stupid, no need to whine about it. Whoever was taunting him and took the picture gives Miami fans a bad name.
The Jets are scum, and acknowledging them by wasting our breath when Fat Ryan walks into a room is ridiculous.

That's my soapbox, and I'm sticking to it.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:27 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Tampering charges could be on the horizon for Rex Ryan
Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2010 2:46 PM ET
The good news is that Jets coach Rex Ryan possibly has come up with a way to get people to quit talking about his middle finger misadventures. The bad news is that the diversion could get him in a lot more trouble than the flipping of a bird.

Per Tim Graham of ESPN.com, Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha wants to be a Jet. And Asomugha says that he has spoken not only to Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis regarding the possibility, but also to Ryan himself.

Uh-oh.

The problem is that Ryan can't talk to Asomugha about acquiring the shut-down cornerback's rights. Even if Asomugha intiated the contact, Ryan has an absolute obligation to refrain from speaking to the player, and to immediately report the contact from Asomugha to the league office.

Here's the relevant language of the Anti-Tampering Policy: "If a club is contacted by a player (or his representative) who is under contract to or whose negotiating rights are held by another club, and such player had not been given permission to deal with other clubs, or such player is not in a permissible negotiating period under the terms of an operative collective bargaining agreement, then the contacted club is prohibited from talking or otherwise dealing with the player or his representative, and the contacted club must immediately report such contact to the owner or operating head of the club which holds the player's rights."

And consider the Berkeley-educated Asomugha's comment -- "Me and Revis have been talking to Rex to try to do something." The choice of words implies multiple direct communications between Asomugha, who has two years remaining on his deal with the Raiders, and Ryan.

Of course, Asomugha likely would invoke the Lawyer Milloy defense, claiming after letting the cat out of the bag that he was misquoted and/or that he misspoke. But at a time when Ryan is proving that he's as reckless and unpredictable as a dog driving a Dodge, the league has no choice but to deal with the situation, with or without a tampering claim being made by the Raiders.

Then again, if anyone thinks that the Raiders will be bashful about bashing the Jets over this one, consider the beliefs of owner Al Davis that the Patriots tampered with receiver Randy Moss prior to the trade that sent him to New England.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

So now coaches are restricted to whom they can even speak? I honestly don't know how that is tampering if the player initiates conversation...is he just suppose to ignore him?
"Hey Rex...Rex! Rex what's up! Are you ignoring me? Talk to me Rex!"
He then flips him off because he won't shut up and is fined by the NFL.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:38 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
So now coaches are restricted to whom they can even speak? I honestly don't know how that is tampering if the player initiates conversation...is he just suppose to ignore him?

Wow, just wow

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Wow, just wow

Pretty funny, right?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:32 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Wow, just wow

Pretty funny, right?

Iowa - I like you, I find we agree on most personnel matters, but when it comes to things like this we are in two different worlds

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:42 pm

MTFan wrote:
Iowa - I like you, I find we agree on most personnel matters, but when it comes to things like this we are in two different worlds

Awww isn't that nice *pukes*

But for real Iowa don't be so naive to think that they were just walking down the street one day and the kid ran into Rex and now that's why he's being investigated for it. There's more to it than that, there always is.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:31 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

IamPZ wrote:
MTFan wrote:

Awww isn't that nice *pukes*

But for real Iowa don't be so naive to think that they were just walking down the street one day and the kid ran into Rex and now that's why he's being investigated for it. There's more to it than that, there always is.

I had to say something nice to him, I feel I rag on him alot and vice versa

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]