View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
 I know its early but thoughts on next years draft 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post I know its early but thoughts on next years draft
I know we have a lot of issues right now and wanted to see what you guys thought we needed to draft. With Ricky still solid but getting older and Ronnie seeming to dance a lot this season/not signed a new contract yet I think a steal for us could be Mark Ingram. Espn has him rated 21st right now which is ridiculously high IMO. The guy makes plays, period. I think he is a pounder with speed that could help the run game a ton for us. It just seems we are really young everywhere else so not sure what else we would draft for that would give us the bang for our first round buck

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:33 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: I know its early but thoughts on next years draft
In the first round we'll definitely be looking at a RB. I think we'll bring Ronnie back; Ricky looks real old this season. I doubt he's back in 2011.

TE is another area that Miami could address depending on how things fall. The TE group is a MAJOR downgrade over this year's class. There might only be 1 or 2 starting caliber guys. Kyle Rudolph makes sense because he's well rounded, and a Notre Dame guy. Some say he's the best TE to ever come out of that school, which is telling of how good he is. I think he's a little over-rated, but I definitely think he'd pair well with Fasano. He wouldn't be the Antonio Gates or Dallas Clark or Jermichael Finley that everybody wants, (that might be Lance Kendricks), but he'd be Fasano's next David Martin.

Later in the draft (3rd and 4th rounds), I definitely see Miami attacking the guard position. Incognito is here on a one year deal and has shown nothing thus far. They could look to replace Berger at Center as well. I guess this whole interior depends on how they feel about Nate Garner.

ILB or CB could be positions they look at. It will be interesting to see how those things shake out.

If I had to bet right now I'd say they would go with either TE or RB. The defense is young enough...if anything they need more veteran FA's to patch up what needs finishing off. And they are not going interior O-line in the first round.

I like Rudolph, but I don't know if I see them going with a number 2 TE over a starting RB, or at least 2nd horse at the position. I love Ingram, Ryan Williams, Shane Vereen (he's my man crush for this year's draft) in the first round. We'll see where we are in regards to position, but I doubt we'll be able to snag Williams or Ingram. Vereen reminds me a lot of Ricky Williams. If we got him I'd be stoked. Another guy to look out for is Mikel Leshoure; right now it's hard to tell whether he's a 1st round candidate, or a 5th rounder. He has character concerns, but man is he talented.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:51 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Lemichael James if he comes out early ...The guy has speed on speed and power.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Bigdogphin wrote:

He's not eligible.

I love him though...the next LT.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:48 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We don't have to "waste" a 1st rd pick on a RB. There are quality backs taken in the 2nd and 3rd rd every year. Ditto for TE. We need to go DL, safety :) , or OL in the 1st.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:33 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

With the way this draft is shaping up, we will go Corner in first round. too much talent to ignore and the drop off is too much to wait till the second round.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 am

Iceberg85 wrote:
With the way this draft is shaping up, we will go Corner in first round. too much talent to ignore and the drop off is too much to wait till the second round.

Nah. I think they trust Sean Smith will progress and take a hold of the starting job.

I think Chris Clemons is developing at FS. He's clearly got the ball skills for the position...... :)

Mak, I can't see them taking an interior O-lineman in the 1st round. I think they will take a guard or center at some point, but not until the 3rd-4th rounds. That's what they've done in the past.

I think in the first round you need to grab either a RB or TE. There is a HUGE drop off at TE after Rudolph. As always, there are quality backs in the later rounds, but, in all likely hood Miami will be looking for a guy who is a lock to come in and get at least 40% of the load. I'm a big fan of Shane Vereen....unfortunately, he's not their type of guy. At the end of the day, I think we'll go with Mikel Leshoure out of Illinois; we could probably trade back down into the second round to get him, and pick up extra picks in the process to use on some of these pesky needs we have elsewhere.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:21 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

What about Mark Ingram from Alabama? Durability issues?

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:11 pm

IamPZ wrote:
What about Mark Ingram from Alabama? Durability issues?

He'll be picked way before our selection.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Lets make sure the current regime is still in place. If Ross decided to go in a different direction a new coach and GM could want a lot of new things.

If all us stays equal, this team needs some upgrades to the interior OL and DL. I wouldn't rule out a MLB or S either.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Bigdogphin wrote:

He's not eligible.

I love him though...the next LT.

My bad. James is eligible as he's a redshirt sophomore.

So is Dion Lewis.

That said I don't know if either will enter...

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:16 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

well after today it's hands down QB! This team needs to invest in a franchise QB for once. Remember the last time we did that? Yeah it was Marino!

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:21 pm

MdDolfan wrote:
well after today it's hands down QB! This team needs to invest in a franchise QB for once. Remember the last time we did that? Yeah it was Marino!

Yup. I'm for trading up for Luck. I know it's expensive as hell, but you know what, it's worth it.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:40 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

HELL YEAH!!!!!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:24 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

stay where we are and grab Newton?

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Iceberg85 wrote:
stay where we are and grab Newton?

Probably won't be available where we are. Even if he is, I think he is a David Garrard and nothing more. Very mediocre QB in the NFL, and a huge project at that.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:11 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Sorry Rock but Newton has 4.5 speed and way more athleticism than Garrard. Garrard is also 6 foot 1 and 240. Newton is 6 foot 5 and 250. Very different. Newton is also a very underrated passer.

Plenty of Running Backs to be had throughout the draft as always and don't count out Lex Hilliard. DaRel Scott out of Maryland and Derrick Locke out of Kentucky would be nice late round speedsters to compliment Lex.

Would not be suprised if Oline was the pick, it seems to be initially a deep top tier class. The Phins need a standup pass rusher too

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:57 pm

ggippo wrote:
Sorry Rock but Newton has 4.5 speed and way more athleticism than Garrard. Garrard is also 6 foot 1 and 240. Newton is 6 foot 5 and 250. Very different. Newton is also a very underrated passer.

Plenty of Running Backs to be had throughout the draft as always and don't count out Lex Hilliard. DaRel Scott out of Maryland and Derrick Locke out of Kentucky would be nice late round speedsters to compliment Lex.

Would not be suprised if Oline was the pick, it seems to be initially a deep top tier class. The Phins need a standup pass rusher too

I'm really liking Mikel Leshoure. Not sure where he'll go, but he could be a steal if he gets past round 1.

As far as Newton, I don't know if he's anything more than an average passer. Strong arm, sure, but his accuracy is average and his ability to read defenses is average at best as well. Definitely smooth as a runner, but I don't see the athleticism that VY had. I don't think there's anyway he runs a 4.5.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:12 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Nah hes a superstar. Hes a tough inside runner and that run at 2 minutes and that burst at 5:08 shows better athleticism than VY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-P8I6h-GOI

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_hMsHoQ-yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL2nUITjOqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaMEr3eVdIc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POw6aJF8SUs&feature=fvst

Cam Newton isn't what VY was coming out, IMO. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do in the National Championship game though.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:51 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Hes just as fast and good a runner as Young but he does it with 20 more Pounds. Hes a better inside runner and most importantly his throwing motion destroys VY's low elbow sidearm motion coming out of college. If it wasnt for Tebow Cam would have built a college football legacy for himself and despite the scandal around him Newton played the good soldier at UF and has a great attitude. Can't say the same for VY. Newton also came very close to Tebow's greatest single season with an Auburn team half as talented.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:31 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

And if you don't think the SEC isnt gonna make it five in a row your in for a suprise. When are people going to realize?

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:33 am

ggippo wrote:
And if you don't think the SEC isnt gonna make it five in a row your in for a suprise. When are people going to realize?

I expect Auburn to win.

As far as Newton, he won't be running the ball 20+ times in the NFL. That also hampers the passing game because of how open it is at Auburn because people have to respect the run.

I want to see what he does when he is playing in a conventional offense.

Also, I don't know if he had to throw a 15 yard out all season. He didn't throw a lot of routes at Auburn, nor did he get rid of the ball quickly.

The talent is there, but I don't know if I see real QB skills to be an elite NFL QB. I think with a lot of developing he can be an OK starter, but nothing special.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Im not sure where you are getting that from. Hes talented has a strong arm makes his own time in the pocket and loves the game. Hes a winner. You want him to show something that he hasnt been given the chance to show or hasnt had to yet so your gonna assume he cant. What QB doesnt need development coming into the NFL? Hes a much better prospect than Tebow and Teebs already has a decent start under his belt.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:16 pm

ggippo wrote:
Im not sure where you are getting that from. Hes talented has a strong arm makes his own time in the pocket and loves the game. Hes a winner. You want him to show something that he hasnt been given the chance to show or hasnt had to yet so your gonna assume he cant. What QB doesnt need development coming into the NFL? Hes a much better prospect than Tebow and Teebs already has a decent start under his belt.

I didn't assume he couldn't. Just saying it's something I want to see before calling him a star.

My point is just that the reason he gets a lot of what he gets in the air will not be there in the NFL.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:34 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Its tougher than what Andrew Luck gets.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:54 pm

ggippo wrote:
Its tougher than what Andrew Luck gets.

What do you mean?