All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:56 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4152
Location: The Bluegrass
Light background, dark text. Uniformity with the front page is a lofty goal, but not at the expense of readability.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 12197
Location: Raleigh, NC
eleaf wrote:
Light background, dark text. Uniformity with the front page is a lofty goal, but not at the expense of readability.


I was wondering how that was working for you all. I was starting to think it was just because I'm as old as dirt;)

Anyone else?

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24899
Location: Miami, FL
Big Dave wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Light background, dark text. Uniformity with the front page is a lofty goal, but not at the expense of readability.


I was wondering how that was working for you all. I was starting to think it was just because I'm as old as dirt;)

Anyone else?


The font could be a little bigger. But I wouldn't change anything else.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:53 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 4104
I've recently started to change my own site from "light on dark" back to "dark on light"... it seems to be much much easier to read.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 am 
Offline
2016 Site Design Admin
2016 Site Design Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 4036
Location: Sweet Home ALABAMA!
Well ... if we need to, now is the time to change the forums. Not later down the road when we have 10 mods installed on a style.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 990
Location: West Caldwell, NJ
If you guys can get back as close as possible to the way it used to be that would be great, definately needs a splash of aqua somewhere.

Nice job anyway!

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 am 
Offline
2016 Site Design Admin
2016 Site Design Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 4036
Location: Sweet Home ALABAMA!
phinsfanmel wrote:
If you guys can get back as close as possible to the way it used to be that would be great, definately needs a splash of aqua somewhere.

Nice job anyway!


PZ and I are going to work on the forum design this weekend (Sat.) so just hang in there with us guys.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:52 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4152
Location: The Bluegrass
Good. I'm not the only one. I can't stay on the site for more than a few minutes without my eyes going haywire. There's a reason we bleach the pulp that becomes paper, and not darken it.

It is simply easier to read dark on light. We figured that out over 2000 years ago.

And yes, the lack of aqua in the design, other than the logo at the top, is just plain wrong!

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:37 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 4104
Lol default design guys... give us some time, a bunch of us brainstormed the homepage and that looks great... the forums will get there.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:12 pm 
Offline
2016 Site Design Admin
2016 Site Design Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 4036
Location: Sweet Home ALABAMA!
eleaf wrote:
Good. I'm not the only one. I can't stay on the site for more than a few minutes without my eyes going haywire. There's a reason we bleach the pulp that becomes paper, and not darken it.

It is simply easier to read dark on light. We figured that out over 2000 years ago.

And yes, the lack of aqua in the design, other than the logo at the top, is just plain wrong!


You are more than welcome to jump in on the design team and give us your thoughts and your skills needed to carry out the overall design of the forum.

If you want to help with the css / php /html of it all, give us a PM.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24899
Location: Miami, FL
eleaf wrote:
There's a reason we bleach the pulp that becomes paper, and not darken it.



Because most ink and lead is dark...

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:21 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4152
Location: The Bluegrass
Coots wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Good. I'm not the only one. I can't stay on the site for more than a few minutes without my eyes going haywire. There's a reason we bleach the pulp that becomes paper, and not darken it.

It is simply easier to read dark on light. We figured that out over 2000 years ago.

And yes, the lack of aqua in the design, other than the logo at the top, is just plain wrong!


You are more than welcome to jump in on the design team and give us your thoughts and your skills needed to carry out the overall design of the forum.

If you want to help with the css / php /html of it all, give us a PM.


I could help (as in I have experience with CSS), but I'm slow. I could likely come up with something good, but it would take FOOOOOOORRRRRRRRREEEEEEVVVVVEEEEERRRRRR.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:23 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4152
Location: The Bluegrass
Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
There's a reason we bleach the pulp that becomes paper, and not darken it.



Because most ink and lead is dark...


Inks were specially blended (shop to shop in most cases during the middle ages) and just about any color was possible for early writers.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24899
Location: Miami, FL
eleaf wrote:
Inks were specially blended (shop to shop in most cases during the middle ages) and just about any color was possible for early writers.


I did not realize "we" were still in the "middle ages".

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4152
Location: The Bluegrass
Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Inks were specially blended (shop to shop in most cases during the middle ages) and just about any color was possible for early writers.


I did not realize "we" were still in the "middle ages".


All of writing technology descended from the middle ages, but something tells me you're lookin' to pick a fight.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24899
Location: Miami, FL
eleaf wrote:
but something tells me you're lookin' to pick a fight.


Not at all, but it is a little irritating to have someone who only wants to keep complaining despite the hard work that was put in to get the forums back up and running. You don't seem appreciative at all but seem ready to chime in continually on what YOU want the forums to look like.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:22 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 4104
eleaf wrote:
Coots wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Good. I'm not the only one. I can't stay on the site for more than a few minutes without my eyes going haywire. There's a reason we bleach the pulp that becomes paper, and not darken it.

It is simply easier to read dark on light. We figured that out over 2000 years ago.

And yes, the lack of aqua in the design, other than the logo at the top, is just plain wrong!


You are more than welcome to jump in on the design team and give us your thoughts and your skills needed to carry out the overall design of the forum.

If you want to help with the css / php /html of it all, give us a PM.


I could help (as in I have experience with CSS), but I'm slow. I could likely come up with something good, but it would take FOOOOOOORRRRRRRRREEEEEEVVVVVEEEEERRRRRR.


Well ideas are always welcome as well... you won't necessarily have to code it if you don't feel comfortable doing so.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 12197
Location: Raleigh, NC
I like the color but it is tougher to read on it. It may just take some getting used to it.

I'll create a poll on the front page and see what others think. I like it that it matches the main site, but it isn't important. A white posting background won't kill me ... just Coots and PZ.

:fart:

/.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:42 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 4104
Big Dave wrote:
I like the color but it is tougher to read on it. It may just take some getting used to it.

I'll create a poll on the front page and see what others think. I like it that it matches the main site, but it isn't important. A white posting background won't kill me ... just Coots and PZ.

:fart:

/.


Yeah... just a little!!!

Will kill you with the smiley's though :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:03 pm 
Offline
2015 Phinfever VIP Donor!
2015 Phinfever VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 187
Location: Honolulu, HI
First thing I did after re-registering, was change my background to white with black text. White on dark is too hard on my eyes. :embarrassed:


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:50 pm 
Offline
2016 Site Design Admin
2016 Site Design Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 4036
Location: Sweet Home ALABAMA!
That's why we added that option Miss, people can have what they want. We will eventually get to styling those boards as well. Just don't expect it anytime soon.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 494
Location: Ruff Buff NY
:grin: I like the black background makes this site look more diff than any others plus we dont need anymore birght colors the Dolphins have that covered lol

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 12197
Location: Raleigh, NC
phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
:grin: I like the black background makes this site look more diff than any others plus we dont need anymore birght colors the Dolphins have that covered lol


True, dat.

We do have another theme you can choose from if you don't like this one, but we make this one the default look. Just go into your User Control Panel at the top to change it to a white background.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 1107
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Big Dave wrote:
phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
:grin: I like the black background makes this site look more diff than any others plus we dont need anymore birght colors the Dolphins have that covered lol


True, dat.

We do have another theme you can choose from if you don't like this one, but we make this one the default look. Just go into your User Control Panel at the top to change it to a white background.


Where at the top. Lol. I cannot find it for the life of me =P

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 12197
Location: Raleigh, NC
hypocritex wrote:

Where at the top. Lol. I cannot find it for the life of me =P


Try it again, Hypo. It is under "user preferences" in the User Control Panel. Someone had it overriding user preference, so, it wasn't available.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 12197
Location: Raleigh, NC
Big Dave wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

Where at the top. Lol. I cannot find it for the life of me =P


Try it again, Hypo. It is under "user preferences" in the User Control Panel. Someone had it overriding user preference, so, it wasn't available.


There is a problem that Coots is working on, so, you will not be able to change the template.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:07 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 4104
Lol oops did I find another booboo ... I gotta stop doing that!!


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:45 pm 
Offline
2016 Site Design Admin
2016 Site Design Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 4036
Location: Sweet Home ALABAMA!
No, the last time Coots worked on it... Coots had it fixed.... just sayin ;)

Now I've got to figure out what ol' timer did and re-fix it LOL


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:57 pm 
Offline
2016 Site Design Admin
2016 Site Design Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 4036
Location: Sweet Home ALABAMA!
User Control Panel -> Board Preferences (on the left) -> My Board Style...

Select which you want and hit Submit. Ta-da


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 990
Location: West Caldwell, NJ
I got the white background and didnt change it. I had asked where this feature was once before and then when I changed it to the white background, it changed it for everyone, and then you took the option down until you figured out how each user can change the board style on their own.

Just trying to help you remember!

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:14 pm 
Offline
2016 Site Design Admin
2016 Site Design Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 4036
Location: Sweet Home ALABAMA!
Right now the boards are defaulted to the white, and will not change, and I don't know why. If you want the black background, simply follow the instructions above, and select the black background. (acidtech tiger)


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 12197
Location: Raleigh, NC
Coots wrote:
Right now the boards are defaulted to the white, and will not change, and I don't know why. If you want the black background, simply follow the instructions above, and select the black background. (acidtech tiger)


I just registered a new test user and it does go to the white background. As soon as I log in with the new username it defaults to the dark bg. Just an FYI for you, Cooter.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r