View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Myron Rolle a hit at Senior Bowl; Lay off Tebow 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Myron Rolle a hit at Senior Bowl; Lay off Tebow
Quote:

this scout was more intrigued with former Florida State safety Myron Rolle.

"He's looking great,'' the scout said.

Rolle, of course, took the year off to study abroad as a Rhodes Scholar. Now he's ready to start his footbal career and, "for a guy who hasn't played in a while he's done everything you'd want,'' the scout said. "He's making people notice him. No one really came here thinking about him and he's jumped out a little."

Where will he go?

"Second round, I'm guessing, maybe third,'' he said. "He's got so many things outside football that he might get downgraded just a little because you might wonder in three or four years what he's going to do."

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:28 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Myron Rolle a hit at Senior Bowl; Lay off Tebow
wow.... talk about a young man with a good head on his shoulders.

This is the type of person who will have success at anything he chooses to do.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:38 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I love Myron Rolle...he's a scary good athelete as well. Considering we need a safety...:D

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:10 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
Well jeez if he slips all the way to the third Miami could have McClain, Cody, and Rolle...all need positions, and all very good at where they play.
Throw in a possible Brandon Marshall and this team could go some places.

that would be a monster draft

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

here is some other hits at the senior bowl

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... o-chew-on/

Senior Bowl giving Dolphins plenty to chew on
by Edgar Thompson

MOBILE, Ala. - Odds are the Dolphins will draft a player or two playing in this week’s Senior Bowl.

But who?

Coach Tony Sparano and his staff have the advantage of putting the South squad through the paces all week, while GM Jeff Ireland and the team’s personnel people will be here all week watching both squads.

Ireland wouldn’t reveal the Dolphins’ picks, which will be released next week. But he did say the team has three sixth-rounders, the round where guard Donald Thomas and running back Lex Hilliard went.

Some of the 104 players here this week are sure to last until the later rounds.

To help sort out who’s who and what’s what, here’s some scuttlebutt making the rounds the past few days:

Tony Sparano and the Dolphins' front office has seen plenty of Taylor Mays out of USC -- a player who likely won't play safety in the NFL. (AP)

Tony Sparano and the Dolphins' front office has seen plenty of Taylor Mays out of USC -- a player who likely won't play safety in the NFL. (AP)
- Despite some impressive physical tools, USC safety Taylor Mays will not be able to cover consistently in the NFL.

The 6-foot-3, 231-pound Mays has made a couple of impressive hits downfield in between the numbers, but this hasn’t hidden a number of concerns. Observers wonder if he could be cut from the same cloth as Carolina Panthers’ LB Thomas Davis.

Davis was a big, hard-hitting safety at Georgia who was moved to LB in the NFL.

SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline said Mays, despite being timed running the 40 in 4.32 seconds, struggles to pedal in reverse, cannot plant his foot and drive to the ball and cannot go outside the numbers.

The Dolphins could use a safety, and the good news is many believe it’s a good class for them.

South Florida’s Nate Allen, one of the top prospects, is on the South squad.

Dan Williams from Tennessee has been the best defensive tackle at Senior Bowl practices. (AP)

Dan Williams from Tennessee has been the best defensive tackle at Senior Bowl. (AP)
- The best nose tackle in Mobile isn’t Alabama’s Terrence “Mount” Cody, but Tennessee’s Dan Williams.

Williams had a terrific practice on Wednesday and is playing as well as anyone here.

Williams’ weigh-in also went well, unlike Cody, who tipped the scales at a slovenly 370 pounds.

Williams is massive, especially in the lower body, but carries 329 pounds well on his 6-foot-2 frame. He also had his best season as a senior, meaning he’s a player on the rise.

- The player having the best week at the Senior Bowl appears to be Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick.

Odrick has been dominating for the North squad. At 6-foot-5, 301, he’d be an ideal 3-4 end, a postion where the Dolphins appear to be set.

But the word is the Dolphins love Odrick.

- USC tight end Anthony McCoy is an athletic pass catcher with good size (6-4, 249).

McCoy has made several nice catches down field, flashing impressive speed.

But he’s not in the mold of a hard-nosed TE Bill Parcells and Co. prefer.

Alabama’s 6-foot-5, 250-pound Colin Peek might better fit the Dolphins’ vision for the position.

Sparano had nice things to say about Peek Wednesday.

- The best wide receivers this week have been, in order: Cincinnati’s Mardy Gilyard, Florida’s Riley Cooper and The Citadel’s Andre Roberts.
Mardy Gilyard may not have blazing speed, but he has been the top WR in practices before the Senior Bowl. (Getty Images)

Mardy Gilyard may not have blazing speed, but he has been the top WR at the Senior Bowl. (Getty Images)

Gilyard is as dynamic as any skill player here, along with Ole Miss running back Dexter McCluster. McCluster is only 5-foot-8, 165 pounds and listed as a WR, but also played RB in college.

Playing for the South, Cooper and Roberts have caught everything.

Cooper (6-3, 214) uses his body well to and goes up to win the ball. But he ends up catching a lot of passes in traffic because he lacks the speed to separate to defenders.

Roberts can get down field and is fearless.

But even Gilyard, much less Cooper or Roberts, isn’t expected to be a No. 1 WR in the NFL, the one thing the Dolphins need at the position.

- One scout said the sleeper of this week’s has been University of Virginia defensive back Chris Cook.

Cook is 6-foot-1, 212 pounds and played for Al Groh. The Dolphins don’t seem need another CB, but Cook might be a later-round prospect who could be too good to pass up.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
Well jeez if he slips all the way to the third Miami could have McClain, Cody, and Rolle...all need positions, and all very good at where they play.
Throw in a possible Brandon Marshall and this team could go some places.

could go some places?

we pounded on 3 of the 4 teams in the championship games. Were not that far away. These next couple years are our years. Parcells and Ireland doing there thing has proved beneficial. As long as Sparano can learn from his gameday management mistakes this team is going places.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:35 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Myron Rolle forget more about football in the past year off than Gibril Wilson ever knew. Sign him up if we can grab him in the 2nd :yay:

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:02 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I had never heard of Myron Rolle until this thread was created, now I'm very intrigued by the information out there on him both about football and beyond.

I find it interesting that this guy has an extremely unique "downside" to many scouts.

The info out there on the internet has his extreme intelligence listed as a knock against him!!

They say he's so smart, and capable of so many other things, that his desire to go to med school, become a Doctor, and continue to create youth foundations, and more are actually considered a bad thing because he could potentially leave football early!!

That is arguably the most unique "downside" I've ever heard of in my life as a football fan.

to downgrade a guy on your draft board because he's too intelligent and too capable in areas beyond football?
......That's just crazy talk to me.

I need to see more tape of him playing to see what his coverage skills are like to judge him as a player.... but the intangibles are absolutely off the charts in my opinion. On what little I've seen of his interviews, etc. I can't help but to literally feel inspired by the guy. His attitude makes you want to get out of your chair and go take the world by storm.
Wouldn't you want to work with someone like that? Wouldn't you want to have a guy like that on your team? ....I would.

He says he wants to play football, the guy obviously takes his 1 chance at life very seriously, so why not believe him?
Maybe I've just got a bit of a soft spot for what I perceive to be good people, but I find this guys character as a human being to be at an elite level.

If some team passes on Myron Rolle because they think he's "too smart" and "too capable", I hope he makes that team look very stupid on the football field when he has his chance.

I just hope he doesn't go to an AFC East rival, because I don't see how it would be possible for me to root against a person like that.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:50 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Bones wrote:
They say he's so smart, and capable of so many other things, that his desire to go to med school, become a Doctor, and continue to create youth foundations, and more are actually considered a bad thing because he could potentially leave football early!!

"I want badgers". It's another Parcells saying. What does a beaver do? Cuts down trees. What else? Not much. He wants guys who eat, drink and sleep football.

(snippet from here:http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/876658.html)

so Parcells might not go for a guy lke Rolle (though I hope the guy turns into a multiple all pro)

As for Terrance Cody: Parcells also does not like fat football players. There is no denying that Cody is humongously fat. So I don't see him as likely either.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:29 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rolle is a parcells guy he is a great person but he has great upside. Football is there he never had to play to get were he is today. He plays cause he love the game. A parcells guy i Hope he there in the 3rd to pick up but if he falls to 5 i trade some six rounders to get him. But a worth will 3rd pick.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:24 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Trust me, with that academic future Rolle has in front of him yet he's STILL playing football, he certainly loves the game, and it's important to him. I don't think he'd do all this for just a few years of football and then quit prematurely. I think he's a good mold of a player that Parcells would like.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TheBigFish wrote:
Trust me, with that academic future Rolle has in front of him yet he's STILL playing football, he certainly loves the game, and it's important to him. I don't think he'd do all this for just a few years of football and then quit prematurely. I think he's a good mold of a player that Parcells would like.

Why not? I'd do it, sign a contract with a few million guaranteed...it's more of a sure bet than going off to become a doctor. He was a Rhodes Scholar and went to school there last year, right? If he wants to go to med school, it'd be better to have a few million in your pocket for playing a game.
It's not like you need an ACL to do whatever it is he could do.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:32 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I keep waffling on Rolle because of his prospects outside the game of football, but it came down to, who cares if we only get 5 years from him, if there great years I'll take 'em.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:22 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I hate to be the downer here, but living in Tallahasse I got to see him play quite regularly. He is not that great a player. Average at best and most of the 'Nole fans (of which I'm not one) don't like him (as a football player). I don't know why this hasn't come out earlier. He is VERY smart (obviously), but as for football, I don't want him.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]