View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Sparano could care less what we think about the QB situation 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Sparano could care less what we think about the QB situation
Quote:
"This is no disrespect to any fans out there," Sparano said, "but I could care less what they think about the quarterback situation."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dol ... 74688.html

I love when people start out their sentence with "No disrespect" and then hit you with such a negative tone.

Regardless, with statements like this I personally believe the pressure to perform is starting to get to this coach. You can't run out a comment like this, especially about a positions that's been a VERY sensitive issue to the entire Dolphins fan base for over a decade .... not to mention an unsettled one.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:52 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Sparano could care less what we think about the QB situation
Rock Sexton wrote:
Quote:
"This is no disrespect to any fans out there," Sparano said, "but I could care less what they think about the quarterback situation."

I love when people start out their sentence with "No disrespect" and then hit you with such a negative tone.

Regardless, with statements like this I personally believe the pressure to perform is starting to get to this coach. You can't run out a comment like this, especially about a positions that's been a [b]VERY[b/] sensitive issue to the entire Dolphins fan base for over a decade.

How was that a bad comment by Coach? It's about darn time he calls out all the fans out there who are nothing but negative. Calling for Pennington or Thigpen, saying that Dansby hasn't made enough big plays, saying Coach needs to go....all of these criticisms with no merit behind them has been proof of how much of a joke our fanbase truly is, and it's a shame.

Good for Coach for telling us to shut up. We need to.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

How was that a bad comment by Coach? It's about darn time he calls out all the fans out there who are nothing but negative. Calling for Pennington or Thigpen, saying that Dansby hasn't made enough big plays, saying Coach needs to go....all of these criticisms with no merit behind them has been proof of how much of a joke our fanbase truly is, and it's a shame.

It was an insensitive comment. Calling out the fans directly is not what you want to be doing as a head coach, especially if the Henne experiment bombs. Not implicating that that is certain or anything, but you just don't do it especially after 11 years of the QB carousel.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:01 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Quote:

Regardless, with statements like this I personally believe the pressure to perform is starting to get to this coach. You can't run out a comment like this, especially about a positions that's been a [b]VERY[b/] sensitive issue to the entire Dolphins fan base for over a decade.

Amen. :yay: :clap:

Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:17 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'd take it step further if I was Coach Sparano and say that he doesn't care what the media tries to fill the fans minds with concerning the QB situation.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

In context I did not take it as insensitive merely a leader stating his position.

Should the Phins be coached by taking a poll of the fans opinions?

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
In context I did not take it as insensitive merely a leader stating his position.

That wasn't the point. Guys, back off the "I Love Henne" ride for one second. This could be ANY quarterback. The point is Sparano has no leeway to confront the fans so directly on such a hot topic. His job is to coach the players up and take whatever criticisms/compliments come his way. I repeat: DO NOT ENGAGE THE FANS LIKE THIS. The criticisms are clearly getting to him. The criticisms are understood ..... But warranted? Clearly mixed bag on this. However this is a fan base that has been teased and tormented with such an unsettled QB carousel for the last 10-11 years.

If he doesn't care, that's fine ..... don't say it ..... Telling them he doesn't care what they think is a bush league move in terms of coaching. That is my point. Especially with the team struggling like this. Blowing two important home games to two division rivals.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:40 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

The day Sparano cares what I think during the week after a nasty loss is the day he needs to retire. I'd say the same thing if a lame question like that got thrown my way. I think its one thing for people to criticize Henne's progress to this point, it is another altogether to ask a headcoach what he things about the critics.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
The day Sparano cares what I think during the week after a nasty loss is the day he needs to retire. I'd say the same thing if a lame question like that got thrown my way. I think its one thing for people to criticize Henne's progress to this point, it is another altogether to ask a headcoach what he things about the critics.

Again not the point .... do you think it's wise for a head coach of a team who just blew it badly vs. two division rivals (with lots of heat pointed at Henne) to confront the fan base?

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

That wasn't the point. Guys, back off the "I Love Henne" ride for one second. This could be ANY quarterback. The point is Sparano has no leeway to confront the fans so directly on such a hot topic. His job is to coach the players up and take whatever criticisms/compliments come his way. I repeat: DO NOT ENGAGE THE FANS LIKE THIS. The criticisms are clearly getting to him. The criticisms are understood ..... But warranted? Clearly mixed bag on this. However this is a fan base that has been teased and tormented with such an unsettled QB carousel for the last 10-11 years.

If he doesn't care, that's fine ..... don't say it ..... Telling them he doesn't care what they think is a bush league move in terms of coaching. That is my point. Especially with the team struggling like this. Blowing two important home games to two division rivals.

If I understand the context correctly then you have a scenario where the fans think you should bench Henne and start Pennington what do you say coach. I don't care what the fans think. This seems like a good answer to me.

If some random people were going to tell you how to run your business how would you respond?

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Again not the point .... do you think it's wise for a head coach of a team who just blew it badly vs. two division rivals (with lots of heat pointed at Henne) to confront the fan base?

He didn't come out of the blue and say, "Fans, I don't care what you think". He was asked on his thoughts on our lame criticism, and he answered as nicely as he could have. What was he supposed to say?

If I was Coach, I would have not been so easy on us.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
If I understand the context correctly then you have a scenario where the fans think you should bench Henne and start Pennington what do you say coach. I don't care what the fans think. This seems like a good answer to me.

If some random people were going to tell you how to run your business how would you respond?

Speaking of business .... I don't ever tell my clients, "I don't care what you think."

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Speaking of business .... I don't ever tell my clients, "I don't care what you think."

I think the owner is his client. I don't see his statement as somehow confronting the fans either.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
I think the owner is his client. I don't see his statement as somehow confronting the fans either.

The fans aren't clients?

I see it as confronting, he openly makes a comment to them that he doesn't care what they think.

Whether or not the criticisms are valid, a smarter decision would be to reiterate his belief in Henne and say nothing of the fans.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Actually there is some validity in the original post. But I also agree , if a coach is gonna take any advice from fans (which would never happen I know) , taking it from Fins fans should somehow give him a fate worse than fired.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:06 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

The fans aren't clients?

I see it as confronting, he openly makes a comment to them that he doesn't care what they think.

Whether or not the criticisms are valid, a smarter decision would be to reiterate his belief in Henne and say nothing of the fans.

I was thinking of clients as being a person or group that uses the professional services of another. Owner of Phins uses the coach's pro services.

If you mean the fans are customers - people who purchaces goods or services from antoher then the coach would be a representative of the organization which wants the fans to purchase stuff so I see your point there.

I don't get the outrage though but that is what makes the world an interesting place to live. Difference of opinion.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:

.....and apparently you don't understand the topic. This is not a Henne debate.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
I was thinking of clients as being a person or group that uses the professional services of another. Owner of Phins uses the coach's pro services.

If you mean the fans are customers - people who purchaces goods or services from antoher then the coach would be a representative of the organization which wants the fans to purchase stuff so I see your point there.

I don't get the outrage though but that is what makes the world an interesting place to live. Difference of opinion.

Wait so a client uses the professional services of another and a customer purchases goods or "services" from another?

I think people often find customers to be very random or one time ..... with clients being serviced for longer periods. I'd say fans are more clients than customers.

You're right about difference of opinion. I've never seen the wisdom in confronting either the customer/client in this manner.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:

Lol an interesting response. However I am quite sure that this thread is not required reading so sorry if you are not interested.

What particular dead horse are you referring too? I myself have come to see a little more clearly what Rock was getting at in his intial post. Still not convienced, maybe because I live in WY, but more understanding of his position.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Wait so a client uses the professional services of another and a customer purchases goods or "services" from another?

I think people often find customers to be very random or one time ..... with clients being serviced for longer periods. I'd say fans are more clients than customers.

You're right about difference of opinion. I've never seen the wisdom in confronting either the customer/client in this manner.

Sorry, maybe I was being annally retentive. Slightly different ways of understanding the term client.

I do not think of fans as being customers or clients of Tony Sparano. But since he represents the Phins I see your point as I mentioned.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:44 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Seeing as how Tony Sparano has forgetten more about football than any of us will ever know, I agree. We need to shut up and let the experts work.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:25 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

It was an insensitive comment. Calling out the fans directly is not what you want to be doing as a head coach, especially if the Henne experiment bombs. Not implicating that that is certain or anything, but you just don't do it especially after 11 years of the QB carousel.

You are being too sensitive.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinjim wrote:
Seeing as how Tony Sparano has forgetten more about football than any of us will ever know, I agree. We need to shut up and let the experts work.

It's ironic you'd make a comment like that after something like ....

dolphinjim wrote:
I said Parcells was senile when he gave away Ginn, still believe it.

dolphinjim wrote:
why did we get rid of Clifton Smith?? I would much rather have him returning kicks than Cobb or Bess. At least there is a CHANCE he can break one.

dolphinjim wrote:
can we start a petition to BAN the dumb wildCRAP?

Doesn't sound too much like "letting the football experts work" ..... just sayin' ......

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:

Not quite.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:50 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

Not quite.

Really, you started a topic because because you thought he made an insensitive comment, hmmm.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

Not quite.

Really, you started a topic because because you thought he made an insensitive comment, hmmm.

I started a thread to talk about how Sparano shouldn't bother addressing the issue of what the fans think and that the building "talk" about Henne is obviously getting a little bit to Sparano. Thanks though.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Dude, he was asked for a response....what was he supposed to say?

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:16 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I think it is exactly the point. I think it actually boosts my, and others, opinion of Sparano to know the guy has the temerity to say what he said. If he'd have bowed to the media's question and attempted an answer to a lame question like that he simply opens the door for more lame questions in the future.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
I started a thread to talk about how Sparano shouldn't bother addressing the issue of what the fans think and that the building "talk" about Henne is obviously getting a little bit to Sparano. Thanks though.

Not sure there is a lot of evidence to support that its getting to him. He really just addressed a question. If you were to say the Wildcat questions were getting to Henning then I would agree with you.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:59 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

If I'm being honest... who cares? It's not like he called any of you out personally. If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't, throw the thing away. Did it hurt your little feelings when he said it? *eye roll*

In my humble and honest opinion, this is what's wrong with a lot of thing in this country today.

Quote:
It was an insensitive comment.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:14 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Sorry, Rock S. I think you are in the minority on this one.

If Henne were not moving the ball down the field and playing like Trent Edwards did this year, he would have to make the change and it wouldn't be our outcry that would do it. Cam Cameron didn't listen to us. What makes anyone think that Coach Sparano would be any different?

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I'm glad to hear Coach make a statement like that. Is it his job to make us fans happy by saying what we want to hear, or make the locker room understand that he has their back and at this point no-ones job is in danger? Think about it - how could he come out and say yes fans, you are the right, I am thinking about benching Henne? Not gonna happen!

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:40 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

The customer/client argument is a bit ridiculous.

Fans purchase "goods" from the Dolphins based on performance, not the answer to a question.

Making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Couldn't care less is the correct phrase. If he could care less, that means he cares.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He might want to start rethinking that.....Another game changing pick...In the redzone of course :cry:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:08 am

kev1321 wrote:
He might want to start rethinking that.....Another game changing pick...In the redzone of course :cry:

Young, developing QB. You take the bad with the good.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ANY coach who cares even considers running the team based upon fan reactions should be instantly fired!!!

ANY fans who think the coach should be "sensitive" to the coaching expertise of those in front of a TV set should get their heads out of their a**es

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:16 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
ANY fans who think the coach should be "sensitive" to the coaching expertise of those in front of a TV set should get their heads out of their a**es

thanks degs...that's brilliant!!

As to the topic...how are fans clients of the Dolphins? Seriously, if you go to the game, then you are a customer...they have a product that they sell...u buy it or you don't ! you buy the product they produce, or you don't....you think a chef at a restaurant gives a #@&% how you make veal picatta compared to his recipe ? If you don't like it...don't buy it!! Coach is right...and honestly I could care less what most of the fans think....news flash....THIS IS NOT A HENNE EXPERIMENT!!! he is our starter... that decision has been made final already!!! And to the 10 or 11 years of us struggling...that's nothing to do with this staff..get over it already!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]