View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Chad Henne much better when field is spread out 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Chad Henne much better when field is spread out
Found this pretty cool website. Really has a lot of detailed type stats.

Henne's QB rating in 2 WR sets: 64.1.
QB rating with 3 WR's on the field: 96.3
QB rating with 4 WR's on the field: 98.1
In the shotgun: 96.5 (only behind Brady and Manning in the AFC).

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/lead ... C&rank=226

Lousaka Polite is not having a good season at all. He has blown pass protection multiple times, and has missed some blocks in the run game as well. Put more 3 WR sets out there with Fasano at TE and Ronnie in the backfield. You can run, throw and protect well out of that formation.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Chad Henne much better when field is spread out
So, I suppose this means Henning will continue to go "back to basics" and throw lots of 2 WR sets and plenty of R&R at the Packers then :hithead:

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:39 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

One would assume that good coaches would play to their player's strengths.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:59 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

That's the problem. Henning continues to try and fool the 8man fronts by passing out of 2wr and 2te sets. Henne has got one read and that's pretty much it. If you factor in that most of those are 1 fade and 1 underneath route how much chance does Henne have.

Not to mention his favorite target is the 3rd WR(Bess).

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Maybe the offense is holding back Henne's potential?
Maybe we need to change the way we operate offensively?

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:43 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

wkloiber13 wrote:

There's no maybe. They are holding him back and we definitely need to change the way our offense operates.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

oldgreg07 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

There's no maybe. They are holding him back and we definitely need to change the way our offense operates.

So what steps do we need to take in order to get Henne the weapons he needs?
More wideouts, more o-line depth, a pass catching back or tightend?

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
oldgreg07 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Just a new OC. Nothing more than that

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne doesn't need any new weapons. We just need to use the ones we have. I would like to see us in 3 WR sets a lot more. Marshall, Hartline and Bess with Fasano at tight end and a lone running back, Ronnie Brown. If teams stack the line, they risk being burned by the pass. If teams blitz and Henne makes sound decisions, then big plays should result. Heck, stick him back in shotgun more and that will give him more time to throw. Someone should dust off that old Bills' K-gun playbook.....I think a hurry-up offense might also be a nifty way to destroy the opponent's defensive game plan.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
So, I suppose this means Henning will continue to go "back to basics" and throw lots of 2 WR sets and plenty of R&R at the Packers then :hithead:

And how many of those games this season in which Henne has slung the ball have we won? Exactly none. We know for a FACT that we win when we run the ball more and play to our own strengths.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dol ... 68286.html

Those stats beg more questions than they answer. How many passes were thrown out of each of those sets? What were the down/distance situations? Without context these stats are mostly useless.

We need to run the ball and use it to open up the pass. That is what we're built for. That is how we win. Opening up in a spread offense and slinging it is exactly the blueprint for how we lose (well that and ST collapses). We need to play possession football and control the clock. I don't care how one player plays, I care about wins. Football doesn't have to pretty in order to win the game. We don't need to throw the ball 40 times a game to win (in fact that has been the formula for consistent losses). In fact our history shows that when we don't give the opposition a steady dose of R&R, we consistently lose over and over.

My, how we have such short memories around here.

Henne has had 1 very good great game and 1 great game this year, and we lost both because of our willingness to play to our weaknesses instead of running the ball.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

And how many of those games this season in which Henne has slung the ball have we won? Exactly none. We know for a FACT that we win when we run the ball more and play to our own strengths.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dol ... 68286.html

The staff also knows that we play better when we run the ball more than we throw. The proof is in the pudding. Of our 17 losses under Sparano, 15 of them came when we threw more than we ran. It's not a simple argument of going "back to basics", but of going back to what this team is built to do in games. We're not talking about playing some form of pop warner football, but the power running game that is tried and true.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/15/1 ... -seat.html

We need to run the ball and use it to open up the pass. That is what we're built for. That is how we win. Opening up in a spread offense and slinging it is exactly the blueprint for how we lose (well that and ST collapses). We need to play possession football and control the clock. I don't care how one player plays, I care about wins. Football doesn't have to pretty in order to win the game. We don't need to throw the ball 40 times a game to win (in fact that has been the formula for consistent losses). In fact our history shows that when we don't give the opposition a steady dose of R&R, we consistently lose over and over.

My, how we have such short memories around here.

Henne has had 1 very good great game and 1 great game this year, and we lost both because of our willingness to play to our weaknesses instead of running the ball.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I agree eleaf. But, I don't think this team is really that strong as in previous years with the running game. I base this on the constant interchanging at offensive line. Last year we were more settled on the interior part of the line. Except this year we've had G's by committee. Just don't think we can get any type of consistency if the G's keep getting shuffled.

As far as spreading out the offense, I think using more spread sets would open up running lanes. Running draws and sprints would really be more effective because you have to account for Bess in those sets. You won't be able to stack the box consistently. 3wr sets will instantly improve the running game IMO.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:58 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

degs wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Agreed. He already has the weapons at his disposal; they just aren't being used properly.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

oldgreg07 wrote:
degs wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Agreed. He already has the weapons at his disposal; they just aren't being used properly.

Me three; couldn't agree more.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Me 4.

Would it be nice to have an athletic TE and RB out of the backfield? Absolutely. Could take the offense to another level. But Henne does have enough weapons right now. Henning just needs to help him utilize them better. The playcalling has been a joke.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ok, so we've got the weapons in Marshall, Hartline, and Bess at wideout. Ronnie or Ricky can catch out of the backfield as well. You guys can't tell me you wouldn't like to see us get a pass catching tightend though. I know Fasano has been steady for us but it would be nice to see us get a Gates, Gonzalez, Keller, Shockey type that can stretch the field and create mismatches for opposing defenses. I still would like to see us get that for Henne. Just look at what Keller has done for Sanchez or Gonzalez has done for Ryan. Heck, just look at what Cutler has been able to do with a good pass catching tightend in Chicago. The truth is we need a receiving threat at tightend. I think that will really elevate our offense to another level.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:19 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

wkloiber13 wrote:
Ok, so we've got the weapons in Marshall, Hartline, and Bess at wideout. Ronnie or Ricky can catch out of the backfield as well. You guys can't tell me you wouldn't like to see us get a pass catching tightend though. I know Fasano has been steady for us but it would be nice to see us get a Gates, Gonzalez, Keller, Shockey type that can stretch the field and create mismatches for opposing defenses. I still would like to see us get that for Henne. Just look at what Keller has done for Sanchez or Gonzalez has done for Ryan. Heck, just look at what Cutler has been able to do with a good pass catching tightend in Chicago. The truth is we need a receiving threat at tightend. I think that will really elevate our offense to another level.

I agree and disagree. Because a pass catching TE would sacrifice blocking and Max protection situations. I think we have a good balance with Fasano, but we could certainly use an upgrade. I am still reeling from the loss of David Martin. I thought he would boost the TE situation tremendously but still scratching my head on that one.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:
I agree and disagree. Because a pass catching TE would sacrifice blocking and Max protection situations. I think we have a good balance with Fasano, but we could certainly use an upgrade. I am still reeling from the loss of David Martin. I thought he would boost the TE situation tremendously but still scratching my head on that one.

Ya, I miss the damage Fasano/Martin used to inflict.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]