View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Breaking down the Dolphins draft, Week 1 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Breaking down the Dolphins draft, Week 1
Quote:
> Posted by Dave Hyde on January 26, 2010 09:36 AM
It's baaaack! Last year, London draftnik Simon Clancy wrote the longest, most in-depth posts available examining the Dolphins needs leading into the NFL draft. This year, Simon will take turns with his cohorts at UniversalDraft.com , Richard Lines and Chris Kouffman.

Simon kicks it off today with a position-by-position breakdown of what the Dolphins need and what the draft offers:

Ever since the final gun went off at Landshark Stadium to mark the end of Miami’s 7-9 season, the only topic of conversation has been just what exactly the Dolphins will do with that 12th overall pick. Conventional wisdom says offense and specifically wide receiver to help a passing attack that finished 20th in the league, giving Chad Henne and his big arm the outside threat that will eliminate 8 man fronts and afford Bess, Hartline, Ginn and Camarillo better match up possibilities. But that only tells half the story because the defense began to deceive, especially down the stretch and some serious help is needed inside and out at linebacker, as well as at free safety and, potentially, at nose tackle. So who are the sorts of players we should be looking out for at pick 12 in the 2010 draft?

QUARTERBACK: ......

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Breaking down the Dolphins draft, Week 1
So just for the sake of discussion if it came down to CJ Spiller(RB), Jared Odrick(NT), or Earl Thomas(FS) who would you take?

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:17 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

SPILLER!!! I think I want the phins to draft him more than anyone.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:46 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The only reason i say Spiller is because playmakers like Peterson, Chris Johnson or D. Williams can change games in a heartbeat and he is one of those guys. He is electrifying!!! I'm a Seminoles fan, I've seen it first hand.

:cry:

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:11 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

if not Spiller, than can we look at this kid in a later round:

Joique Bell RB Wayne St.
5'11" 225#

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Project86JLL13 wrote:
if not Spiller, than can we look at this kid in a later round:

Joique Bell RB Wayne St.
5'11" 225#

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Because he's 5'11", 225 and wears the number 5 I'm going to assume that Phins Rock will say that he is the next LT.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:56 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Iowafin wrote:

Because he's 5'11", 225 and wears the number 5 I'm going to assume that Phins Rock will say that he is the next LT.

LMAO!!!

OMG I'm sorry JP but I just spit my soda out my nose... that was some funny stuff!!

:)

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Good Lord.....draft a #1 receiver....or bring one in via free agency. This team is just stuck on stupid if they don't. Get a true receiving threat (WR, or a special TE) and the offense will improve DRAMATICALLY. It won't take 14 play drives to score every time. Dink and dunk passing and running plays mean the need for long sustained drives. While a thing of beauty when executed, it is very demanding on the offensive team. More chances for turnovers and penalties.....also, when you are behind by a couple TD's, it would be nice to score quickly. We play Brady twice a year and there are a bunch of high flying offenses out there to cope with (we played most of them this season). Let's move away from being a one dimensional team.

Yes....we need linebackers......we have other picks to use. We even wasted a pick last year in the 2nd round that could have brought in some defensive talent.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 pm

We would have beaten most of those "high flying offenses" if our defense held up.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I'm secretly hoping for Taylor Mays.

Guess it's not a secret now.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:24 pm

MTFan wrote:

I'm seeing more and more mock drafts having him go late 1st now... before he was top 10 lol

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

IamPZ wrote:
MTFan wrote:

I'm seeing more and more mock drafts having him go late 1st now... before he was top 10 lol

I've been seeing that to. Hard to imagine that if this guy would have came out either of the last two years he would have been top 10. The guy has the physical tools to be a great FS in this league. Word is if he is on the board when the seahawks draft he is gone.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

New postby IamPZ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:20 pm
We would have beaten most of those "high flying offenses" if our defense held up.

Would have, could have, should have.....our defense would have been better served if we could have put away opponents. We held the ball for over 45 minutes in the game against the Saints and couldn't outscore them.

Here is the 4th quarter scoring in that game:
4th Quarter
13:23 NO TD Reggie Bush rushed to the left for 10 yard gain (John Carney made PAT) 31 - 34

8:35 NO TD Drew Brees rushed up the middle for 2 yard gain (John Carney missed PAT) 37 - 34

3:23 NO FG John Carney kicked a 20-yard field goal 40 - 34

1:53 NO TD Tracy Porter intercepted Chad Henne for 54 yards (2pt attempt failed, Drew Brees pass to Marques Colston)

Hmmmm......where was our offense that quarter?

By the way....I think we were one of the worst 4th quarter teams and that had as much to do wtih our punchless offense as it did our hapless defense.

We only score 13 points against the Chargers......was that the defense's fault? The Chargers hung a lot of points on a lot of good teams. We just couldn't score on them.

The offense scored 14 points against the Jags and the Bills. Was that the fault of the defense?

Against the Texans, Titans and Steelers, our anemic offense could not move the ball and score TD's until late in each game. The defense stunk, yes.....but the offense was also putrid. Nice comebacks....but still big L's.

The teams ranked 2nd in red zone scoring percentage....yet was 14th in TD's per game. That is a telling stat. It means our offense had trouble sustaining drives. We were 2nd in 3rd down conversion percentage....yet 17th in yards per game. Hints of a similar problem?

So what was killing drives for us.....I would say the big negative plays in offense versus the big postive gainers.

The Dolphins were 22nd in yards per passing attempt, but 9th in QB sack percentage. Dropping back for lots of short passes yielded sacks and negative plays....killing drives. The Dolphins were also 22nd in average team passer rating. Also a sign that the passing game stinks.

Check out this link.....the stats there tell you a lot about just how crappy our passing game was....
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/12 ... lance.html

Despite all the negatives....I think that Henne is the real deal. He just needs some more talent at the WR position around him. He only can throw the ball.....he can't will people to get open....and he can't catch it for him....nor can he get yards after the ball is caught.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Taylor Mays has been very unimpressive in man coverage and there is criticism about how stiff he is. Some teams are projecting him as an OLB now.

Of the three I'd take Earl Thomas, extremely talented and fits a large need. Spiller becomes overkill unless Miami can deal RB. Oderick may be a reach for the 12 spot.

Have to say I'm very intrigued by the possibility of moving Merling to OLB. I want to see this kid on the field and living up to the talent. It would solve a huge issue if he can make that transition.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:43 am

We had a lead on an opponent we weren't supposed to even come close to beating and we tried running out the clock, that's where the offense went.

You didn't help your argument one bit... plus it was the Colts where we held the ball for 45 minutes, not the Saints.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

IamPZ wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

LMAO!!!

OMG I'm sorry JP but I just spit my soda out my nose... that was some funny stuff!!

:)

I don't get it...lol.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:31 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

ROLANDO MCCLAIN!!!

That is who we want and need. I pray to Jebus we don't draft a WR, I would much rather get an ESTABLISHED WR in free agency. Too much risk to draft a WR in the first round (see..Green, Yatil and Ginn, Ted)

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes....we held the ball for 45 minutes on the Colts....but we had a big lead on the Saints and in the 4th quarter our defense reaked, but our inept offense couldn't even swing a field goal....tell me how the hell that helps your defense? You have to play both sides of the ball in this game. Defense is not the only answer. Yes....some of the greatest defenses of all time might be the answer, but we aren't in danger of becoming one of those any time soon. Our offense is much closer to making the leap to elite....why do we continue to hold it back...get a #1 receiver...all the other good teams have one (or two)?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:51 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Hey Project86JLL13! where in the world did you find that kid Bell? He has the size of an NFL RB and the speed judging from the way he hawked that kid down on the sideline, looked like Darrell Green catching Tony Dorsett. I was very impressed with him, but to play for the Dolphins he's going to have to pick up block by picking up blitzes. I heard that's why Sheets didn't see hardly any action this year.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:14 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Here is what J. Bell said about his preparation for the Combine:

1/26/2010 - "Basically I have to have a good Senior Bowl and do well at the NFL Combine a month later," Bell said this week. "Hopefully, I can get into the top 10. If I can prove I have what it takes to play at any level, my stock will shoot up." Bell was automatically invited to the Senior Bowl as the Harlon Hill Award winner. Bell feels the key to his success at the combine will be improving his 40-yard dash time, currently listed at 4.54. "I've run 4.4's before, but that time listed on most internet sites is a combination of times," explained Bell, who has hired an agent (Manville Trice) and a personal trainer (Thomas Weatherspoon) to help prepare him for what lies ahead. "I'll be headed out to California in early January to work out at my trainer's place there," added Bell. "He's going to have me run in the mountains. That's going to be a killer. But I've been working out every day and will continue to do so. I want to be in the best shape possible for the Senior Bowl and combine. "My trainer has been to the combine before and he's going to have me doing all the combine drills," Bell said. "I have a squeaky-clean background, and will have graduated (criminal justice major). Pro scouts like those attributes." How high up in the draft can Bell go? "Nobody really knows for sure, but if everything goes well I've been told I could go as high as the third round," said Bell. "Anything higher than that would be a real blessing." - AL Arend, Herald Palladium

Any news on him at the Senior Bowl?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:40 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Quote:
DraftDaddy.com: Wayne State running back #25 Joique Bell hit the hole with authority and had several long gains. Bell is raising his profile.

Quote:
Pigskin Paul’s Place.com:

JOIQUE BELL/RB BELL broke loose on a couple of long runs during 11-on-11 work today. The short, but stout D2 player appears to have good strength, burst and open field speed. In a year with a paucity of top RB Prospects BELL could really move up Draft Boards if he shows well the rest of this week, including the game.

Quote:
Draftguys.com:

Joique Bell (Wayne State): For those who are curious, his name is pronounced “Joyk,” and the onomatopoeic quality of his name will likely be something you can use to describe the sound of him bouncing off defenders with his shifty, powerful running style.

He demonstrated some nice stutter moves in the hole to set up LBs for a couple of big runs into the third level of the defense. Physically, he might have the biggest thighs and calves of all the runners here and he has enough burst and wiggle to get the job done as a pro. His blocking needs work. He frequently got out-classed by linebackers, but he was aggressive in the drills, and actually earned the respect of his opponents for his high effort and willingness to talk trash and raise the intensity of the exercise.

He did get the better end of the deal on a couple of blocks, one of them a final match up with LB Sean Witherspoon who tried to take a finesse approach off the line and get under the RB. Bell did not fall for change-up, showing good feet and quickness to re-direct Weatherspoon’s route from the QB, winning respect from the most vocal – and arguably the most NFL-ready LB – on this field today.

:stiffarm:

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

ya he has looked solid

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 pm
Phinfever All Pro