View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Looking Ahead At GB/MIA Tilt (Packers injuries) 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Looking Ahead At GB/MIA Tilt (Packers injuries)
Green Bay suffered some ugly blows today. Getting beat in OT by the Skins is the least of their worries right now. IF and this is a big IF Green Bay's injuries hold true until next week we are looking at this;

Rodgers, Matthews, Finlay, Lee, Barnett, Grant, Tauscher, Burnett, Pickett, Chillar, Shields. Throw in there the injuries at the beginning of the year (Harris, Bigby) and you have 13 Packers players who would normally start in one formation or another. Ouch.

This is, of course, presuming that the injuries (which are hopefully mild) sustained today will hold those players out next week.

Now the rules of the NFL concussions state that if a player gets cleared by an independent doctor they can play the next game, so Rodgers all depends on how he holds up over the next 6 and 1/4 days.

I hate to see any player injured and was looking forward to going to Lambeau next week seeing some good competition out of some good GB players (and we still might, it is way too premature to guess on any of these guys). But this could potentially shape up to be a good game for Miami to come back into after the bye week to get back into the swing of things.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Looking Ahead At GB/MIA Tilt
Knowing the way this team is, whoever GB's backup is, he will likely throw for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns on us. (slaps forehead)

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think their backup is Matt Flynn, former LSU QB. He pretty much ended the Brian Brohm experiment in GB.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The only time I've watched GB play this season was the 1st half of the MNF game vs Chicago.

Rodgers looked amazing. He was hitting his targets on the numbers and his pocket awareness reminded me of Marino 25 years ago. He sensed the pressure and either threw the ball away or stepped out of it and hit his target on the numbers.

I have no idea how they lost that game, but it tells me GB has problems if the QB can play that incredibly well and they still screw up the game.

Despite what was said in a post above, our D hasn't been the reason we lost the last 2 games. If we can hold Rodgers (or whomever the QB will be) in check, it is a very winnable game.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:57 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Call me crazy, but I am way more worried about what Clay Mathews will do to our offense then what Rodgers or his backup will do..
I think Kolb is still hearing him run up behind him.. That kid is a beast...

Our pass D has been pretty solid so far, and they are hurting at RB.... I think we can hold.. Just need to control the clock and get some first downs...

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
Despite what was said in a post above, our D hasn't been the reason we lost the last 2 games.

What?

The ONLY reason the Jets beat us is because we couldn't stop the pass. We made Sanchez look like a star.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

10acjed wrote:
Call me crazy, but I am way more worried about what Clay Mathews will do to our offense.

he is such a stud at linebacker. plays with reckless abandon every down. guess it helps when you have kevin greene as your LB coach too. That guy was a nut, but then again, to play linebacker, you need to be a little sick in the head

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This game should be a close one....provided our special teams can avoid another bout of self-destruction.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:50 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

3rd game in a row where we are playing a team that is beat up way more than us. Hopefully we take advantage this time.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:44 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Packers are banged up so conversely my hopes are up!
I just read that Aaron Rodgers suffered a concussion on the last play of the game and in addition that Green Bay also had Donald Lee (shoulder), Jermichael Finley (knee), Ryan Pickett (ankle), Clay Matthews (hamstring) and Derrick Martin (knee) leave with injuries.

It is still going to be a tough game no matter but I like my chances of having a good road trip to watch the Dolphins play in Green Bay a little more this morning.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Packers are banged up so conversely my hopes are up!
catman_56 wrote:
I just read that Aaron Rodgers suffered a concussion on the last play of the game and in addition that Green Bay also had Donald Lee (shoulder), Jermichael Finley (knee), Ryan Pickett (ankle), Clay Matthews (hamstring) and Derrick Martin (knee) leave with injuries.

It is still going to be a tough game no matter but I like my chances of having a good road trip to watch the Dolphins play in Green Bay a little more this morning.

The problem is that although wins are nice...NFC wins are not helping to much in tie breaks....And since the division is such a long shot after losing 2 home games...The playoffs are a real long shot unless we beat the 2nd place teams in the AFC...Raven Steelers Bengals Titans, Patriot or Jets(you pretty much have to win one of those to finish 2nd in the division) games are gonna be huge for ties..

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

eleaf wrote:
degs wrote:
Despite what was said in a post above, our D hasn't been the reason we lost the last 2 games.

What?

The ONLY reason the Jets beat us is because we couldn't stop the pass. We made Sanchez look like a star.

Sanchez has a qb rating of 105.3 8 touchdowns 0 int's...We are not the only one

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:20 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

eleaf wrote:
degs wrote:

What?

Without the ST debacle, Miami probably wins the game against the Jets as well.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
eleaf wrote:
degs wrote:

What?

Without the ST debacle, Miami probably wins the game against the Jets as well.

Two ill advised Sanchez throws break Miami's way and suddenly he is not a star and Miami is looking even better. Too bad its a what if.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:01 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

kev1321 wrote:

The problem is that although wins are nice...NFC wins are not helping to much in tie breaks....And since the division is such a long shot after losing 2 home games...The playoffs are a real long shot unless we beat the 2nd place teams in the AFC...Raven Steelers Bengals Titans, Patriot or Jets(you pretty much have to win one of those to finish 2nd in the division) games are gonna be huge for ties..

This game is as important as any.. The more wins Miami has the better... The race is still close, there are 6 teams that go to the post season..
Right now only 5 AFC teams have only 1 loss, so as of right now the 6th team has 2 losses..

Miami is still in the thick of it all...

Green Bay is a common opponent for us, both NE & NY play them... So they fall into a tie breaking cat... I believe its what gave us the Div title in 08, common opponents...

Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

kev1321 wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

Too early for this kind of talk.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Rodgers Might Not Play Week 6
ESPN FFL Text Message wrote:
Packers coach Mike McCarthy said QB Aaron Rodgers (concussion) could miss week 6 game vs. Dolphins

Don't really see a negative in this here... would help us get back on track for sure.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:43 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Rodgers Might Not Play Week 6
McCarthy is getting ahead of himself anyway.. Rodgers must first be cleared by the team Dr & the NFL appointed consultant...

Once both parties sign off, then Rodgers can return to practice 7 McCarthy can make his decision...

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

exactly, with how long of a process the NFL has setup to get guys to come back from a concussion it is way too hard to judge what is going to happen. All depends on how severe and what types of symptoms he has. No need for a Jell-o brain for the rest of his life.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm not sure how that would excite anyone. Miami's ST's could suffer another meltdown and it would be immaterial

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I hope he's back on the field ... in week 7.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
I hope he's back on the field ... in week 7.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:44 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think we stand a good chance with or without him on the field. Obviously if he was on the sideline we look much better but damn, he is my starting fantasy QB. :hithead:

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

eleaf wrote:
kev1321 wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

Too early for this kind of talk.

Not really....Pitt. or Bal.(4-1 conf. record already) will be a wildcard(cannot lose to both..bottom line)...Leaving one spot

You are behind both NE and NY(Have to beat these guys on the road now)....

KC will be an issue(see 2008 Dolphins)SD will also be there...

Along with Indy and Houston....

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:40 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:

Two ill advised Sanchez throws break Miami's way and suddenly he is not a star and Miami is looking even better. Too bad its a what if.

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! You are right that it is a "what if" or a "should have been", but the fact of the matter is if Langford makes that play (Sanchez basically pushed the ball to Langford) it's GAME OVER.

Sanchez went from goat to hero ONLY because Langford can't catch.

I will take the lose gladly, but having the analysts declare his greatness because of his decision making ability and calm demeanor it too much too take. Sanchez is improving but he made two HORRIBLE decisions that through luck he got out of.

I can't not wait to play the Jets again.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

kev1321 wrote:

?

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
kev1321 wrote:

?

Laugh now but KC is 3-1(losing a well played game to Indy on the road) in 1st place.....They have a very easy schedule....@Rams vs.Cards (2)Raiders vs.Bills @Seahawks... And home vs. Jax Den and Tenn......I see them having at least 9 wins

If they can pull off another win vs SD they could ice the division

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

kev1321 wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

For all the Jets hype if we win this week then we are only one game behind them and we still play them again this year. It is way too early to start worrying about tiebreakers and at any rate the jets proved last year by getting swept by us and going 2-4 in the division that you can still make the playoffs and go far.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

kev1321 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
kev1321 wrote:

?

Laugh now but KC is 3-1(losing a well played game to Indy on the road) in 1st place.....They have a very easy schedule....@Rams vs.Cards (2)Raiders vs.Bills @Seahawks... And home vs. Jax Den and Tenn......I see them having at least 9 wins

If they can pull off another win vs SD they could ice the division

I'm not doubting that Kansas City might have a shot at a wildcard spot, just confused why you said "see 2008 Dolphins" in there...

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Post Re: Looking Ahead At GB/MIA Tilt (Packers injuries)
Quote:
For all the Jets hype if we win this week then we are only one game behind them and we still play them again this year. It is way too early to start worrying about tiebreakers and at any rate the jets proved last year by getting swept by us and going 2-4 in the division that you can still make the playoffs and go far.

True dat , only thing is I thought we would be 2 ahead of them by this time.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:15 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

wearemarshall wrote:
but damn, he is my starting fantasy QB.

Mine too (not in the Phinfever league but my other one), but who cares??

I will take Miami Dolphin victories > Fantasy victories every single time.

I agree with you guys on Matthews being a beast, and my brother and I often debate whether or not we should have taken him instead of Vontae in that draft, but honestly what Aaron Rodgers can do to our team scares me WAYYYY more than what Matthews can do. Aaron is the one who lights up the scoreboard, not Clay.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:26 am
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Quote:
Rodgers, 5 other starters miss practice
Posted by Pete Dougherty October 13th, 2010, 12:58 pm

The Packers have six starters who appear to be in danger of missing Sunday’s game against Miami.

The six were among nine players who didn’t practice or left after the jog-through Wednesday: quarterback Aaron Rodgers (concussion), linebacker Clay Matthews (hamstring), linebacker Nick Barnett (wrist), right tackle Mark Tauscher (shoulder), defensive end Ryan Pickett and tight end Jermichael Finley (knee).

Tight end Donald Lee (chest) also didn’t practice, and left tackle Chad Clifton (knee) and defensive end Cullen Jenkins (hand) left practice after the jog-through. Clifton and Jenkins have been playing with their injuries for several weeks and are expected to play Sunday against Miami.

Three injured players also returned to practice: linebacker Brandon Chillar, cornerback Sam Shields and fullback Quinn Johnson.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:44 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Longtime Vikings fan here to give my 2 cents on the Dolphins-Packers game. Rodgers is more than likely going to play. All indications are that he is doing ok. However, if he hits his head hard enough on Sunday they will have to take him out of the game. Matthews is a beast. Don't know how bad his hammy is but he may not be at full strength. Pickett will more than likely be out. Barnett, their top MLB is on IR. That hurts. Finley was one of Rodgers top targets, Lee, his backup is not nearly as good.

The Packers running game is not that great. They prefer short passes to runs a lot of time. Currently they are passing 61% of the time and running 39%. They did well against the Skins but not that great in the other games without Grant. The passing game has taken a step back from last year. The WR's seem to be dropping a lot of passes. With Finley out expect more to go Drivers and Jennings way. They live and die by the long pass. If you can take that away, you got em. Most of their scoring drives have a long pass in them. That being said they can strike quick.

The Packers defense can be had. You can run against them. I would expect big days out of your RB's. They had no answer for Vick in the Philly game. He put over 100 yards rushing against them. The other teams they played don't have top RB's to test them.

Good luck, it should be a good game.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rodgers will be in and watch for those darn quick slant patterns they have been throwing for years. The Phins have always been soft in the middle and I suspect that will remain true this week.

I do think our running game should have a good week, but if it is not clicking early....Henning needs to spread out the "D" and put in more WR's. Henne in the shotgun might also be a good plan. Ronnie Brown should be the lone running back in those formations.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:43 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Rodgers will be in and watch for those darn quick slant patterns they have been throwing for years. The Phins have always been soft in the middle and I suspect that will remain true this week.

I do think our running game should have a good week, but if it is not clicking early....Henning needs to spread out the "D" and put in more WR's. Henne in the shotgun might also be a good plan. Ronnie Brown should be the lone running back in those formations.

I agree about the quick passing routes. With Rodgers bubbly in the head they are gonna look to get the ball out of his hand quick. So there will probably be more three step drops and go, you can't play that soft zone against these guys.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sloppy special teams play and turnovers have been holding the Dolphins back. We've simply been shooting ourselves in the foot. If we can clean our game up in those areas then we've got a great chance to win any game this season. It's no mystery why the Jets are in 1st and we're in 3rd. The Jets simply have done a better job on special teams and they protect the football. If we do a better job of those things then I think we're the best team in the AFC East.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:00 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

If we can do something that we've only done in the game against the Vikings, create turnovers, our chances of coming away with a win will be much better. We've squandered the opportunities to capitalize on what should have been turnovers in our losses and it's prevented the momentum from shifting in our favor.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]