View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Poor use of PA passing/Wildcat and coaching flaws 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Poor use of PA passing/Wildcat and coaching flaws
I do not have really have a problem with a player slipping down or making a mistake.

But when the coaching and game plan sets the whole team up for failure that really upsets me, because we have to win IN SPITE of poor coaching and play calling.

Henne to be seems to be just a tad slow on dropping back and setting up. Not really slow but just enough for a defender to get 2 feet closer or for his pass to be a 1/10th of a second off.

So..
A) Don't use a play action pass when you need a lot of yards on 3rd down.
B) Don't use a play action pass when the defense has no reason to think you might run (see A).
C) Don't use a play action if you cannot make a simple ball fake (If you do not fool the defense, a PA pass is counter productive since it takes longer for the QB to set up and he has to take his eyes off of downfield.

A play fake is 80% on the QB, 20% on the RB and 110% of the coaches. I've yet to see Henne make one decent fake or any running back act like he had the ball and was really running with it.

A good example would be on our first three and out. We had not shown the Jets that we could run on them. We also used a PA pass on our first play last week and we had our only long pass completion on that play. So trying a PA pass on our first play of the game was foolish and expected.

K Wilson was 9 yards off of Brian Hartline, Wilson never had a thought that we were running the ball and/or he did not care. Chad Pennington would have changed to another play. Chad Henne either did not see it or he is not allowed to make audibles.

This is our first series:

* Miami Dolphins at 09:17
* 2-N.Folk kicks 55 yards from NYJ 30 to MIA 15. 38-P.Cobbs to MIA 30 for 15 yards (34-M.Cole).
* 1-10-MIA 30 (9:12) 7-C.Henne play action pass, incomplete deep middle to 82-B.Hartline.
* 2-10-MIA 30 (9:04) 7-C.Henne sacked at MIA 27 for -3 yards (92-S.Ellis).
* 3-13-MIA 27 (8:25) 7-C.Henne play action pass, incomplete short right to 34-R.Williams.(why call a play action pass and then attempt a short pass that would not have made a first down anyway.
* 4-13-MIA 27 (8:16) (Punt formation) 2-B.Fields punts 68 yards to NYJ 5, Center-92-J.Denney. 20-K.Wilson to NYJ 13 for 8 yards (27-B.Sapp).

Now the Wildcat:

One team that knows how to stop the Wildcat is the Jets. They understand that the player we use to run it is not a ex QB like the player they use in it. To me what really makes the Wildcat work is the the running back coming into motion across the field (and a real ball fake would not hurt). One big reason that this works is because it puts some defensive players into motion.

On Ronnie's really poor pass attempt, he did not have a fake or player in motion. No one is ever going to respect him not running until he completes a pass.

I also would not run the Wildcat 3-4 times in a row, IMO, it works best as a surprise and before the defense puts in a defensive set just for it.

The prefect example of doing things the right way is the Jet's Brad Smith. His came really out of more of a spread option(the play by play on NFL.com said it was a direct snap to Smith in the Shotgun) then the Wildcat but he faked Cameron Wake into fully commenting to stopping the running back that put his nose down and dived into the line (sorta like he really had the ball). Brad Smith made 16 yards on that play.

I played football in the 70's and was a Wishbone QB. Ball fakes had to be more then perfect, a Wishbone QB has to put the ball into the fullback's guy and make the snap decision on giving him the ball or pulling it out and going to the next set of options. Ronnie Brown really needs to learn how to do this. To read the defense and decide in a split second to give the ball to take it himself.

All in all, I have to put this on the coaches much more then on the players.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:12 pm
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Post Re: Poor use of PA passing/Wildcat and coaching flaws
I seem to remember Henne having good success when using playaction. His deep pass against the Vikings was off playaction. I remember him having several good throws out of playaction throughout the Jets game.

I agree that playaction on 3rd and 13 doesn't make a lot of sense. But playaction on 1st down makes a lot of sense. So does playaction on 2nd and manageable. There was one third and short on which the Jets were totally expecting a handoff to Polite, there was a playfake to Polite and then a pass completed to Marshall for a touchdown.

Henne also performed well out of the shotgun, which I had been calling for this past week.

3. 1-10-MIA 27 (14:54) (Shotgun) 7-C.Henne pass short right to 82-B.Hartline to MIA 34 for 7 yards (20-K.Wilson).
7. 3-6-MIA 42 (13:09) (Shotgun) 7-C.Henne pass short left to 15-D.Bess to NYJ 48 for 10 yards (20-K.Wilson).
10. 1-15-NYJ 35 (11:28) (Shotgun) 7-C.Henne pass incomplete short right to 19-B.Marshall.
28. 3-10-NYJ 47 (7:27) (Shotgun) 7-C.Henne pass deep left to 19-B.Marshall to NYJ 7 for 40 yards (36-J.Leonhard). WATCH HIGHLIGHT
26. 3-16-NYJ 42 (7:33) (Shotgun) 7-C.Henne pass short left to 19-B.Marshall to NYJ 32 for 10 yards (31-A.Cromartie).
52. 1-10-MIA 43 (1:28) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-C.Henne pass short right to 15-D.Bess to NYJ 41 for 16 yards (52-D.Harris, 20-K.Wilson).
53. 1-10-NYJ 41 (1:04) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-C.Henne pass short left to 19-B.Marshall pushed ob at NYJ 11 for 30 yards (22-B.Pool). WATCH HIGHLIGHT

Out of the shotgun, Henne was 6 of 7 (85.7%) for 113 yards (16.14 yards per attempt).

He hit Marshall on plays of 40 yards and 30 yards.

I'm pretty sure Henne is less effective on those plays in which the Dolphins move the running back out of the backfield and make it obvious that they will be passing.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:45 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The 3rd and one was a great time to use it. I thought I have written about it but I was still tired from the drive and it might be somewhere else.

I agree 110% that the Shotgun should be use more and that Henne has success with it.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Shotgun draw has always been one of me favorite plays in tecmo :)

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:14 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

ROFL, and when I play Madden and a team uses the Wildcat I play a goalline or almost all out blitz defense.

UNLESS, I'm playing against the Jets with Brad Smith.

Now if only Pat White had taken Brad Smith path of becoming a WR and then working in when needed he might still be playing football.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Seems like quite a few of Henne's TD passes from last year came on goal line play action passes to the tight end or Hartline in the back of the end zone. Wish they had used that approach on Sunday night during the final series.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:59 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

PA passing isn't always about "faking" the defense...it's about timing. Footwork is imperative for a quarterback, and timing for the receivers. The PA is just as good of a fake run as it a good passing play.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:44 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Agree with Rich.. If we are going to telegraph pass.. We should at least do it in the shotgun. Buy Henne a bit more time to throw the ball.. We all know he doesn't go through his progressions that fast. (Yet) He's got the cannon. I say we put him in the shotty more often. Especially with a threat like Marshall.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]