View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 NE Patriots - Your Keys to the Game 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post NE Patriots - Your Keys to the Game
My Keys to the game last week were pretty much dead nuts. So I'll pat myself on the back.
Quote:
We all have them, let's share them here.

Dolphins on Offense:
This might be the first game of the season that Henne really has to have a good game. So the first key to the game will be pass protection. If Henne is under pressure all game it could lead to poor decisions.
2. Taking advantage of matchups - I don't know how else to say this but if the Dolphins face a 9 man front and don't utilize BMarsh...shame on them. He is the biggest playmaker on offense and not using him often will result in a defeat.
3. Running game - I expect the Jets to come in and force Henne to throw. So there will be a ton of 8-9 man fronts. The OL will need to still open up a few creases to make the running game a threat. While I don't expect 100yds, I do expect the Jets to have to worry about it.
4. STs - These units make me worry every time they hit the field. Coverage has been spotty and blocking is non-existant. A big return either way could tip the scales.
When Miami is on Defense -
1. blitz a few times early, then back off - Just like with Edwards they need to set the clock in Sanchez's head then mix in some good coverage schemes. He'll generously throw into double coverage if he feels hurried.
2. Dustin Keller had a monster game last week. Miami needs to put Smith on him all game.3. Run defense - Especially on 3rd down with LT back there needs to be a focus. Sanchez can rarely beat a team with his arm and while he had a good game last week it was the running game and short screens that killed NE.

NE vs Miami

I'm gong to start with the defense because the offense should be able to put up points this week. NE's Defense is the worst in the division.
1. Pressure on Brady - The Jets picked their spots and came after Brady and had success setting his clock a little faster.
2. They are the best screen-draw team in the NFL. Brady does a masterful job of faking a deep drop and then handing the ball to the RB. How Miami defends these two offensive plays might determine the game.
3. TE - NE has two rookie TE's that are playing lights out. Miami has had trouble with TE's and if they don't have an effective gameplan going in to stop these guys, it'll be another long first quarter.
4. I'll state the obvious - Take away Moss and Welker. The Jets took away Welker, limited Moss and won the game. It was a good strategy that bears repeating.

STs - Again Miami's ST's are a mixed bag. Carpenter makes a few big kicks, then lobs one OB right when the team can least afford to give up field position. Brandon Fields has some great punts but then the blockers up front are a big time worry. The return game is non-existant. It always seems to me the opposing return man is one tackle from going the distance.

When Miami has the ball -
This is a game where I'd loosen them up with the pass and then pound them into oblivion with R&R. The Patriots defensive front 3 okay against the run but get winded late in the game. They essentially have 3 NTs playing as their front 3.
2. Seconday - Their secondary could be the worst in the NFL right now. Chung might be the only legitimate player. The rest can be had on a regular basis by whomever. A repeat of the Jets Game passing on first down would be a great way to test them.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: NE Patriots - Your Keys to the Game
So do I understand that right: Pressure the QB, shut down the WR's, shut down the TE's?

That covers everything except the RB's.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

We better win this game. Going 0-2 at home against divisional opponents isn't a great way to inspire confidence in this team.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:44 am

degs wrote:
So do I understand that right: Pressure the QB, shut down the WR's, shut down the TE's?

I didn't ask for your critique of the post. :fart: I asked for your keys to the game. Some of it is saying what is obvious....ie Brady can't have all day. Limit Moss, you won't shut him down. limit Welker. Shutting down the TE's and Draw Plays/Screen plays I think is the biggest key along with Pressure on Brady.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

hypocritex wrote:
We better win this game. Going 0-2 at home against divisional opponents isn't a great way to inspire confidence in this team.

Yes and no...We would be in a serious hole....Not only that but it would just suck...
But it is still early and we could fix all this with a couple road wins...

Did i say i #@&% hate the Patsies :angry:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:48 am

Run the nickle package most of the game, man up Vontae on Moss, put Sean Smith on Hernandez, Sapp on Welker. I'd take my chances with that line up. I'd have the front 6 playing run first.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The only way to prevent this from being a shootout is to get serious pressure on Brady. You saw what happened when the Jets were able to do that. Miami should be able to contain the Patriots' running game if Bell and Dobbins decide to tackle.

If they can't get to Brady then Moss, Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez will give Miami fits.

Offensively Miami just has to execute. New England's defense will try its best to confuse Henne and force him to throw INT's, but if he can stay disciplined then he should be able to have his way with them.

Brown and Williams need to be effective. If they wear down the front seven then New England's secondary will be primed to be abused. Marshall should have his way with them.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:17 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
degs wrote:

I didn't ask for your critique of the post. :fart: I asked for your keys to the game. Some of it is saying what is obvious....ie Brady can't have all day. Limit Moss, you won't shut him down. limit Welker. Shutting down the TE's and Draw Plays/Screen plays I think is the biggest key along with Pressure on Brady.

OK, so instead of critiquing, I will add some similarly generic keys to the game:

1) Score lots of points.
2) Don't let them score as many points.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:20 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

NE has the worst secondary in the NFL. Period. They are awful...at CB and S.

They're soft on the inside and Wilfork is not helping the cause with a bad season. Their OLB's cannot run and can't pressure the QB.

Miami should be able to put up points if they come out with the same gameplan they did this past week. That said, I do want to establish the run game a little better, and they should be able to.

Defensively, they need to put pressure on Brady with a 4 man rush. They did that really well against Minny and Buffalo, but failed to do so against NY. Now, while the Pats O-line has been very good so far, it's not nearly as good as NY's.

NE will put up points. The key for Miami is to take advantage of any mistakes and to not break down in the redzone. Make a couple of plays, hold them to some field goals, and Miami's D will have done enough for their Offense to win.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tackle, tackle and tackle. New England is known for getting the ball out quickly and letting the receivers gain yards after the catch. Force Brady to throw it where you want it, then wrap up and make the tackle. The inability to do this on Sunday cost Miami the game.

Offensively, the offense needs to establish a rhythm. This offense can move the ball, but it just seems so stagnant at points. There needs to be more consistency and a better sense of identity. Is this a 3 receiver team that runs to set up the pass? Or is this a two tight end team and runs and then play actions? Is this a team that spreads you out and throws it to set up the run? Figure it out Henning, and quit being an idiot.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:43 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Miami has to figure out a way to deal with the TE, as New England will come after them with there TE as have Minnesota and New York. The pass rush has to be a lot better than it was against the Jets, as it was a non factor in the game Sunday Night. Pressuring Tom Brady is a big key.

Make New England one dimensional and stop the run, something Miami has struggled with the last 2 games. Losing Kevin Faulk for the year was a big blow to the Patriots.

Offensively, I would not change to much from the Jets game besides seeing more of Ronnie and Ricky and the run game.

Special Teams has to play a lot better.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]