View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hit the Panic Button on Jason Allen??? 

Who should we start against New England, Jason Allen or Sean Smith?
Poll ended at Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:43 pm
Jason Allen 89%  89%  [ 31 ]
Sean Smith 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 35

Hit the Panic Button on Jason Allen??? 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Hit the Panic Button on Jason Allen???
I was as impressed as anyone on this site that Jason Allen played as well as he did the first two weeks. But last night was eye opening. Jason Allen made some costly mistakes in that game. Is it time to give Sean Smith another shot? Or does Allen deserve the benefit of the doubt and he should be our starter against New England?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:43 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Hit the Panic Button on Jason Allen???
I'd give him the benefit of the doubt because it was just one game. If it continues, then maybe give Smith a shot. VD darn well better be covering Moss, though.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:47 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Way too early to be asking that question.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:53 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Not his best game certainly, but he is still learning, keep JA in.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:08 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If he would have caught that ball, nobody would be talking bout this so blah blah blah so we have something to talk about till sunday.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He made some mistakes, but remember last year how Edwards pwned Miami? Yeah, he is going to get his and JA just happened to be the victim this time. I think there is much room for improvement in his game, but he didn't play horrid last night, just not very good.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Now who will cover Wes Welker this week? Will that be Sean Smith or Benny Sapp?
Personally, I think Sapp would be a better choice considering Welker's size and ability to change direction. I think he would eat Smith up in the short passing game. But that's just my opinion. Maybe Smith could do well if given the opportunity.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:57 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Allen had a rough game but really let's be honest in the evaluation.

1. Where was the safety when he fell down?
2. Was that in the back of his mind when he should've taken the short route, cut off Edwards and picked off the ball? Allen took the safe over the top route...maybe he was doubting that Clemons had his back.
3. The PI call was a good call but I think the Jets score anyway. I think that came on 2nd down and goal at like the 3. Allen gave them a fresh set of downs.

I told everyone last week not to get over excited and Allen would have both good and bad days. Until he and Clemons get on the same page and really understand where each will be there will be mistakes. IMHO, Y Bell had the worst day of any secondary player...burnt on the first TD and stood and watched the 2nd.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:59 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:

Not every defensive formation requires the safety to be over the top.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What about the fact that Sanchez was untouched all game long? The lack of a pass rush was a giant factor in this game.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:16 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

JA will start because he matches up better against Welker and Tate, but he's got one more week to impress, or it's Sean Smith's job again.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:37 am

Phins Rock wrote:
JA will start because he matches up better against Welker and Tate, but he's got one more week to impress, or it's Sean Smith's job again.

Based on what? Sean Smith didn't exactly distinguish himself this week.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:54 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

This thread is a joke. Allen is the starting CB, he has earned it. He had three questionable plays.
1. Edwards TD reception. Allen slipped on what should have been a routine tackle for him. Are you saying that no one who has ever slipped and missed a play should be a starter? There goes a lot of starters to the bench.
2. The third down reception. Yes this was his fault for being out of position.
3. The pass interference call in the end zone. Well if he doesn't it would have been caught for a touchdown anyway. He got his head around but it was a second too late.

Allen did not single handedly lose the game for us.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:25 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

NFLJunkie wrote:

I believe they were playing a cover 1 which takes away the middle of the field (Keller) and the short slant. It was a good defensive call and if JA didn't slip, it would have been a routine tackle with min. gain.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:08 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

wkloiber13 wrote:
I was as impressed as anyone on this site that Jason Allen played as well as he did the first two weeks. But last night was eye opening. Jason Allen made some costly mistakes in that game. Is it time to give Sean Smith another shot? Or does Allen deserve the benefit of the doubt and he should be our starter against New England?
Oh no a CB allows a Wr to catch a pass. Must be replaced.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:11 am

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I would love to know where the safety was. Miami only rushed 4 guys so he wasn't blitzing. Sanchez looked right, and then looked back and found Edwards. It sure seemed to me that Clemons just bit heavy on Sanchez's head movement.

Quote:
I believe they were playing a cover 1 which takes away the middle of the field (Keller) and the short slant. It was a good defensive call and if JA didn't slip, it would have been a routine tackle with min. gain.

To be honest, I don't know. I do know that Allen was overly worried about being burned deep so you might be right. It would seem an odd defense that would leave JA on an island out there. He's a decent CB but if you're going to have a guy on an Island...that guy needs to be Vontae Davis.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:12 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I would love to know where the safety was. Miami only rushed 4 guys so he wasn't blitzing. Sanchez looked right, and then looked back and found Edwards. It sure seemed to me that Clemons just bit heavy on Sanchez's head movement.

Quote:

To be honest, I don't know. I do know that Allen was overly worried about being burned deep so you might be right. It would seem an odd defense that would leave JA on an island out there. He's a decent CB but if you're going to have a guy on an Island...that guy needs to be Vontae Davis.

Early on the Jets receivers weren't catching anything while Keller was killing the Dolphins. Perhaps he was the reason the CBs were being left on an island.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:31 am

I just re-watched the highlight. Vontae Davis was coming on a blitz so they rolled the safeties to that side.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:41 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
I just re-watched the highlight. Vontae Davis was coming on a blitz so they rolled the safeties to that side.

So they were probably playing a three deep coverage with Bell, Clemons and Allen dividing the field up in three.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:07 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
Way too early to be asking that question.

Especially considering one of the TD's he yeilded.. he slipped on fresh sod.

The penalty was costly.. but ticky tacky. The one long pass at the end where Clemons was over the top.. There is no excuse there. That's a mental error. He should have played that one underneath and had a pick.

Not a good game. But, mistakes that can be fixed.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:41 am

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

So they were probably playing a three deep coverage with Bell, Clemons and Allen dividing the field up in three.

Not sure. The highlight had them snapping the ball too quick. Davis did come untouched. Just didn't get there. Sanchez took the same 3 step drop. He looked briefly right and then threw left. IMHO...it was a perfect call and it appeared they set it up. It might have been dumb luck to call that play at that time but they sure had a lot of those "moments" throughout the game where they called the perfect play. Its like they were inside Nolan's head. Since Nolan and Ryan have coached together and run similar schemes, its possible they guessed right. If JA was in man/press coverage, Sanchez would've been sacked.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:36 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

There should be a third option: keep him right where he is.

He made two mistakes against a good Jets team. Give him a break.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

on a side note... I would change this poll to deal with Dobbins... he has a couple of decent plays this year, but overall he has been... well... not very good. I have sit here and watched the games and have found myself cussing him for bad angles more than any other player. I would rather have a coverage LB or a run stuffer. Being good at 1 aspect of the game is better than not being good at either. I really had hopes that Johnson would prove to be the beneficiary of Crowders injury but guess he needs more time to develop.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

PossumHollow wrote:
on a side note... I would change this poll to deal with Dobbins... he has a couple of decent plays this year, but overall he has been... well... not very good. I have sit here and watched the games and have found myself cussing him for bad angles more than any other player. I would rather have a coverage LB or a run stuffer. Being good at 1 aspect of the game is better than not being good at either. I really had hopes that Johnson would prove to be the beneficiary of Crowders injury but guess he needs more time to develop.

I agree, Dobbins has done nothing to make me believe that he can take the starting job away from Crowder. He continues to make bad angles and try to make up for it with sloppy arm tackling. It just looks bad. I think there is a reason San Diego let him go for so cheap. I think Crowder starts against New England if he is healthy and ready to go. Carpenter has proven himself to be an asset in coverage on passing situations. I like what he has done so far. Lets just hope the combination of Crowder and Dansby is electric, it really seems like a combination that could work out well. Crowder had his best years as a Dolphin when he played next to Zach Thomas. Maybe playing next to Dansby will elevate his game?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Here's the big question....can he learn? He's finally gotten significant game time, and excellent situational football experience. If it's 3rd and long and you have over the top coverage, will he again play on top of the receiver and allow a first down? Can he keep his footing, can he come up and seal the corner like Davis can? If we continue to see him slip or give up big 3rd downs, then I think it's time to deal him elsewhere. Otherwise, continue to allow him to learn and make plays. He has the ability. I still think he had good coverage on Edwards on the PI call...he had his head around, it's just that Edwards threw his body into Allen so it looked a lot worse than it was.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
What about the fact that Sanchez was untouched all game long? The lack of a pass rush was a giant factor in this game.

This. We had 0 sacks. Little to no pressure most of the game. That almost always means a bad day for someone in the secondary.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:58 pm
Profile WWW

Considering Sanchez took 3 step drops most of the game, the pressure would've had to be generated from the inside front 3.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:37 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I thought Nolan was this defensive genius with all sorts of exotic blitz plays to call? The defense generated no real heat on Sanchez all night. Nolan needs to dial up some of those blitzes....or admit that we don't have the players to execute his defense.....which really is not an ideal situation. Next week we face a much better QB and passing attack....but I am hopeful our offense can keep up with the pace since the Patriots' secondary is not a good one.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:00 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I thought Nolan was this defensive genius with all sorts of exotic blitz plays to call? The defense generated no real heat on Sanchez all night. Nolan needs to dial up some of those blitzes....or admit that we don't have the players to execute his defense.....which really is not an ideal situation. Next week we face a much better QB and passing attack....but I am hopeful our offense can keep up with the pace since the Patriots' secondary is not a good one.

The gameplan was terrific the first couple of weeks. I don't think he expected the Jets to come out passing so much and so effectively, and so we had to adjust. Remember that after the 1st quarter, the Jets didn't score again until well into the 3rd Q and it was the big play to Edwards...not really a scheme issue.

After that it just came down to poor play on the field. Clemons and YB were no where to be found on outside run plays, which was the complete opposite of the Buffalo and Minny games where both were flying onto the TV screen. The OLB's and Dobbins did not run laterally very well, and Jason Allen was atrocious when they ran the ball at him...he was getting completely blocked out of the play every time.

I don't think that scheme was as much of a problem as execution, however it was not Nolan's best day. But you have to have faith in a guy with such a great résumé and what he has been able to do with this defense so far.

Coming into the season I think we all knew that this D would have it's ups and downs. They're young, fast, enthusiastic, aggressive, etc. So, they'll have big plays and Sunday's where they do dominate (first 2 weeks). But that inexperience will kick in every once in a while, and Sunday was a perfect example of that. It was a young defense that just had one of those days.

If Nolan can get some consistency out of this group, they'll be in the top 10 at the end of the season. They have the talent, they just need to go out and be consistent. Hopefully Nolan can get it out of them.

But you're right. They will sure as hell have to play better against the Patriots, or Brady is putting up 40.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
The gameplan was terrific the first couple of weeks.

More like the Bills and Vikings offenses sucked.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:17 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The bigger move that should be made is that Vontae Davis should be shadowing Randy Moss and Jason Allen should be on Welker. Why we let teams exploit good size match ups simply by lining up their receivers on one side of the field is very frustrating.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I sure agree with Iowa on this thread....the Vikings and Bills have horrible offenses and made our "D" look awesome. The Jets found chinks in the armor and took it to the team in their own house.

Against the Patriots, the defense needs to put some real pressure on Brady....or they will end up giving up huge numbers. Wes Welker can be erased by beating him up at the line of scrimmage...no easy releases. Unfortunately, I think that makes Vontae the man to have on Welker. That means over and under coverage on Moss, because I don't think Jason Allen can cover him man on man. We probably should be in nickel coverage most of the night. The worst part of the coming week is the Pats have a rookie tight end who is leading them in yards per catch and the Dolphins have not been able to cover tight ends for going on 4 years now.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Nolan needs to dial up some of those blitzes....or admit that we don't have the players to execute his defense

So should Nolan schedule a press conference to say "we do not have enough talent to execute my defense"?

That would go over soooo well.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

I read somewhere that Sparano diagnosed the problem as too many blitzes up the middle rather than off the edge. I would agree with that. It was pretty predictable. But then again, blitzes up the middle are perfect for stopping the run which was likely our main objective.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I sure agree with Iowa on this thread....the Vikings and Bills have horrible offenses and made our "D" look awesome. The Jets found chinks in the armor and took it to the team in their own house.

Against the Patriots, the defense needs to put some real pressure on Brady....or they will end up giving up huge numbers. Wes Welker can be erased by beating him up at the line of scrimmage...no easy releases. Unfortunately, I think that makes Vontae the man to have on Welker. That means over and under coverage on Moss, because I don't think Jason Allen can cover him man on man. We probably should be in nickel coverage most of the night. The worst part of the coming week is the Pats have a rookie tight end who is leading them in yards per catch and the Dolphins have not been able to cover tight ends for going on 4 years now.

Last time Allen was on Moss 1-on-1, he was burned repeatedly. Hopefully they will not make that mistake again.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

They need to man VD up on Moss. He is the only one on this team that has beaten him.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:08 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

The play where he let Edwards catch the 3rd and 10 was maddening, but I think on the penalty in the endzone, he just didn't get his head turned around. Had he spun his head, I don't think the contact on the play would have netted a flag. He played well overall, IMHO.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:06 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

eleaf wrote:

Last time Allen was on Moss 1-on-1, he was burned repeatedly. Hopefully they will not make that mistake again.

Wasn't that 2 or 3 Yrs ago?

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:35 pm

It was 2 years ago and Allen was single up on Moss. He gave up 1 TD that was soley his responsibility and had 1 pick. The other TD Moss had that day was against double coverage.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wasn't that in 2007?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next