View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Why wasn't Vontae covering Braylon Edwards? 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Why wasn't Vontae covering Braylon Edwards?
I know he's had 2 great games for us, but I was yelling at the TV wondering why the **** Jason Allen was covering Braylon "I have my best games against Miami" Edwards instead of our best DB???? Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the loss on him (that falls on Henning's shoulders I.M.O.) but he is not our best cornerback...

Without a doubt we have a top 5 corner on our team in VD as his name was not being called at all but once last night. When the game is on the line, why not stick Vontae on their biggest threat aside from Dustin Keller (I believe they had Sean Smith on him after Bobby Carpenter got beat on the TD)?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:02 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Why wasn't Vontae covering Braylon Edwards?
that falls on Henning's shoulders I.M.O

WOw. How much offense do you need to win a game? Henne threw for well over 300yrds and Marshall had over 150 yrds. Meanwhile, the D had no pressure, and the cbs were slipping and missing tackles. SPecial Teams blocks a punt. Are you still going to blame the offense? Sure the wildcat must die and some of the redzone playcalling was iffy, but the Jet's cords. get paid too to stop us too. I blame this loss on the D/special teams.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:12 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I agree they converted way too many 3rd and longs and we created very little if any pass rush all night ( Cam Wake, Randy Starks, where did go?)

But you have to admit that this spread formation BS is getting flat out dumb. The first quarter we got maybe 1,2 first downs? B Marshall had maybe 2 looks? I 'm all for keeping a defense on its toes but I feel that Henning tries to get too cute with the playcalling and breaks w/e momentum we were gaining by taking Henne out. I hope Henning starts trusting Henne more now based on the spectacular 2nd half he had against a great NY defense...

On a side note, Rex Ryan and whoever that other guy that poured the Gatorade cooler on JT almost broke his orbital bone... Karma for joining the dark side??? J/k... It did make me laugh a little though...

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:12 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Makchell wrote:
that falls on Henning's shoulders I.M.O

WOw. How much offense do you need to win a game? Henne threw for well over 300yrds and Marshall had over 150 yrds. Meanwhile, the D had no pressure, and the cbs were slipping and missing tackles. SPecial Teams blocks a punt. Are you still going to blame the offense? Sure the wildcat must die and some of the redzone playcalling was iffy, but the Jet's cords. get paid too to stop us too. I blame this loss on the D/special teams.

Not completely on his shoulders but right before the blocked punt the block head (Henning) whipped out the old spread offense to kill yet another drive. Momentum is huge in any sport and the NFL is no exception. No punt, no punt block. Defenders slipping...yes the defense sucked yesterday. When the offense sucked in the first two games the defense won both. Now the shoe is on the other foot and Henning out-coaches himself. I've called this out since last season. Henning is a danger to himself. He has brilliant schemes interrupted only by his stupidity. Furthermore if he's successful with a play he rarely returns back to it. However if he's not, he'll beat that play into submission trying to find an answer to fixing it. Practice is where you fix it...not on Sunday. The spread has been broken since week 1 last season. It is still broke. Retire it.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:45 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

The loss falls on missed opportunities defensively as well as a poor gameplan by Nolan, and a horrific night of Special teams play. Anytime we got momentum, ST's found a way to kill it.

But I agree. I think everybody in the stadium and watching on TV knew exactly what the playcall would be on that 3rd (?) down with 2 min. to go. Vontae is a stud and this is the second week in a row that opposing offenses have purposely thrown away from Vontae. His biggest strength, IMO, is his ability to defend the fade...Davis makes that play and maybe even picks it off.

Not only on that play; Vontae should have shadowed Edwards throughout the night. Teams have been throwing away from Vontae, not necessarily at Allen. After last night, teams will start throwing at Allen. He needs to play better, or it's time to give Sean Smith his job back.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wildcat23 wrote:
I agree they converted way too many 3rd and longs and we created very little if any pass rush all night ( Cam Wake, Randy Starks, where did go?)

But you have to admit that this spread formation BS is getting flat out dumb. The first quarter we got maybe 1,2 first downs? B Marshall had maybe 2 looks? I 'm all for keeping a defense on its toes but I feel that Henning tries to get too cute with the playcalling and breaks w/e momentum we were gaining by taking Henne out. I hope Henning starts trusting Henne more now based on the spectacular 2nd half he had against a great NY defense...

On a side note, Rex Ryan and whoever that other guy that poured the Gatorade cooler on JT almost broke his orbital bone... Karma for joining the dark side??? J/k... It did make me laugh a little though...

But that wasn't the reason we lost.

We lost because we couldn't cover, we couldn't tackle, and we couldn't muster one big play on defense. On a night where we get well over 400 yards on offense, you can't blame them for losing.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You know....If teams are afraid to throw at Vontae, he needs to be blitzing more. Especially against QB's who don't read the whole field quickly (like Sanchez). Vontae blitzed him once, and he threw a crappy pass that should have been picked off by Jason Allen.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yea, except Jason Allen forgot to show up last night...

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]