View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly ....by Rich Rodriguez 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly ....by Rich Rodriguez
Rich wrote:
Dolphins 14, Vikings 10
Written by Rich Rodriguez
Sunday, 19 September 2010

The Good

1.Jason Allen - 11 tackles, 2 interceptions. Allen also had another interception wiped out by a penalty. It took longer than expected, but it appears Jason Allen has finally arrived.

2.Vontae Davis - Davis is a terrific tackler, plays the ball well and is an emerging star. His assist in helping Karlos Dansby tackle Adrian Peterson at the goalline helped seal the deal for the Dolphins.

3.Cameron Wake - His sack and forced fumble in the endzone won the game. The fumble was eventually recovered by Koa Misi for a touchdown. Wake is another player having a coming out party.

4.Jake Long - Long has been worth every penny of that expensive #1 pick rookie contract. He completely neutralized Jared Allen, one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and an elite all around player.

5.Dolphins Interior Offensive Line - The Dolphins ran for 120 yards against the top run defense the past four seasons in the NFL.

6.Karlos Dansby - The leader of the defense, Dansby is in on a lot of plays and was the first man to get to Adrian Peterson on his goalline run that may have turned into a game winner if successful.

7.Brandon Fields - Four punts inside the 20. Field position is huge in a defensive battle and Fields has been giving the Dolphins good field position on punts so far this season.

8.Brandon Marshall - Caught a 46-yard bomb and continue to establish himself as the Dolphins go-to guy.

9.The Dolphins have started 2-0 for the first time since 2002.

The Bad

1.Fumbles - Even though Ronnie and Ricky were effective running the ball, their turnovers almost let the Vikings win this game.

2.Playcalling - Even when the Vikings were stacking the box with 8-9 guys, the Dolphins continued running the ball. When you have Brandon Marshall lined up one on one, you have to go to him.

3.Run Defense - Adrian Peterson is going to get his, but 145 yards rushing is simply too much.
4.The Dolphins offense is averaging 14.5 points per game.

The Ugly

1.The game in general was an ugly game. 14-10 games are generally not a thing of beauty. Both teams have huge question marks and it showed today. "

Excellent write up as usual. There were a couple of 9 man fronts near the goal line with Marshall outside that were begging for a quick throw.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly ....by Rich Rodriguez
NFLJunkie wrote:
"Dolphins 14, Vikings 10
Written by Rich Rodriguez

1.The game in general was an ugly game. 14-10 games are generally not a thing of beauty. Both teams have huge question marks and it showed today. "
Solid write up. An ugly win is much better than a pretty loss.

Miami is 2-0 win both wins coming on the road. That is huge.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:47 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The bad part 2

Dump the wildcat
pick one RB and stick with him

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:48 pm

"Miami is 2-0 win both wins coming on the road. That is huge."

I initially thought Miami had a chance at 2-2 going into the bye week but I certainly had this as a loss on the schedule. While I don't expect them to sweep the Jets and Pats, I think a split there is possible. The Jets are a little vulnerable on defense but the only way to exploit it is to go deep. Miami has a real reluctance in regard to that. The Patriots Defense is in shambles. They've got no secondary and can't stop the run. As long as a defense can hold Brady in check, they're done.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:58 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

NFLJunkie wrote:
2.Playcalling - Even when the Vikings were stacking the box with 8-9 guys, the Dolphins continued running the ball. When you have Brandon Marshall lined up one on one, you have to go to him.

I have been saying this for 3 years. The game has passed Henning by. We need to get a little more modern with our passing sets.

Furthermore, why does he continually keep Bess on the sideline? How can Marlon Moore get the same amount of snaps as Bess? Why are we not running the ball out of 3 WR sets? the list goes on and on and on....

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I have been saying this for 3 years. The game has passed Henning by. We need to get a little more modern with our passing sets.

Furthermore, why does he continually keep Bess on the sideline? How can Marlon Moore get the same amount of snaps as Bess? Why are we not running the ball out of 3 WR sets? the list goes on and on and on....

I don't think they let Henne check out of a play. Any sane QB would check out of the run when looking at 9 up front.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:56 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:

4.The Dolphins offense is averaging 14.5 points per game.

Excellent write up as usual. There were a couple of 9 man fronts near the goal line with Marshall outside that were begging for a quick throw.

I think we are borderline unanimous so far.. The nay-sayers should come soon and speak of "development" and such....

But 9/15 against a questionable secondary is rather odd, specially when you run it at a solid run D...
But hey, a W is a W and I'll take it, now for the :jests:

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:41 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Good write-up, Rich.

NFLJunkie wrote:
4.Jake Long - Long has been worth every penny of that expensive #1 pick rookie contract. He completely neutralized Jared Allen, one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and an elite all around player.

And as good as Long did, Jason Allen still did get a sack and two QB hurries going against Henne's 15 passes. Long vs Allen was like a heavy-weight fight and I would definitely give this one to Jake Long.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Miami is 2-0 win both wins coming on the road. That is huge.

One more road win and we match out total from last year. While I would feel more comfortable without those two fumbles, good teams win the ugly ones, too.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:14 am
Profile WWW

Long verse "Jason" Allen would be a mismatch :) While I think Long won his battle against Jared, Miami only dropped back 15 times.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Quote:
I think we are borderline unanimous so far.. The nay-sayers should come soon and speak of "development" and such....

But 9/15 against a questionable secondary is rather odd, specially when you run it at a solid run D...
But hey, a W is a W and I'll take it, now for the :jests:

My argument was against Henne slinging it all over the field. I think yesterday showed what happens when you do that throwing caution to the wind (Favre 3 picks, Flacco 4 picks, Brady 2 picks...). More controlled reads and careful throwing (Ryan, Sanchez, Schaub...) with the occasional deep ball produced better results.

I don't have a problem limiting Henne's passes because forced throws are what lost him games last year. He still doesn't look completely comfortable back there and that's something you're going to have to live with. We have a guy who has started 15 games, not 3 seasons worth. Besides Marshall, our receivers have proven to be hot and cold with their hands and route running. That will add to the consistency factor.

They could have thrown the ball more, they didn't, hidnsight is 20-20, they won, nuff said.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:55 am

Jammer,
I don't think people are calling for Henne to drop back 40 times a game but I think having him drop back 20-25 with the same controlled passing attack you speak of should happen. This team seems to get a small lead and then goes conservative. They did it in week 1 at Buffalo. Buffalo sneaks back into the game with a late score. Yesterday. Miami was up 7-0 when the offense went into hibernation. They have plays that are successful, then never return to them. By the late 2nd half the DB covering Marshall was parking on the short routes. You have to take your shots in this league to put people away. Let teams hang around and they'll lose a few games they should win. The defense has been stelllar but why put so much pressure on them. Yesterday they were a half yard from 1-1 because of the offense and the refusal to attack an 8-9 man front with the pass. You can't be paralyzed by the fear Henne will throw a pick. R&R almost gift wrapped a comeback for the Vikings...should we just stop running the ball?

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Jammer,
I don't think people are calling for Henne to drop back 40 times a game but I think having him drop back 20-25 with the same controlled passing attack you speak of should happen.

He did that last week in Buffalo and people still complained. I think some will never stop complaining until he is a top 10 QB with great stats. I think he will be but its not going to happen by the first half of this season.

I said in another post, the last two games were situational play calling. The defense stepped up so the offense played to preserve the lead. That isn't going to happen every week and I imagine it won't be the case maybe next week against the Jets (although I'd like to see Sanchez do something relevant against a secondary that isn't awful if this is going to be a shootout like last year). I think Henne is showing he is getting better at his reads, although he still lacks the good consistency you want. There will be games when he starts firing passes, but it doesn't have to be every week and it doesn't have to be forced.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:
Good write-up, Rich.

NFLJunkie wrote:

And as good as Long did, Jason Allen still did get a sack and two QB hurries going against Henne's 15 passes. Long vs Allen was like a heavy-weight fight and I would definitely give this one to Jake Long.

Come on Dave, that sack was a garbage sack in which Henne was trying to run out of the pocket and Allen tackled him half a yard short of the line of scrimmage.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:38 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Good write-up, Rich.

NFLJunkie wrote:

Come on Dave, that sack was a garbage sack in which Henne was trying to run out of the pocket and Allen tackled him half a yard short of the line of scrimmage.

I agree

And the sack by Williams in the first quarter looked to have been a coverage sack. I didn't see any receivers open and Henne didn't have enough time to get rid of the ball; he made the right choice to take the sack.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:15 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

NFLJunkie wrote:
Long verse "Jason" Allen would be a mismatch :) While I think Long won his battle against Jared, Miami only dropped back 15 times.

(Not being a smart-ass). Long handled Allen all day, not just on the passing downs especially on Ronnie's 45+ yard run from the goal line. Polite and Long opened a hole that Ski Money could have run through.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:19 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phin wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree

Hey, a sack's a sack. LOL.

:fart:

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:31 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mindtornado wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

(Not being a smart-ass). Long handled Allen all day, not just on the passing downs especially on Ronnie's 45+ yard run from the goal line. Polite and Long opened a hole that Ski Money could have run through.

I was gonna say the same thing... Long owned Allen on that play on the goal line.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
More controlled reads and careful throwing (Ryan, Sanchez, Schaub...) with the occasional deep ball produced better results.

Sanchez was throwing into cover almost every time... He was picking on a young secondary that many saw as a liability coming into this season. They just had a good outing week one and confused people. They are young, and very fast. But with good WR's that win the fight in single cover they get exposed. I would imagine our coaches are well aware of that and test them in 2 weeks as well.

All I saw was highlights of Schaub, but I doubt that the WR's were open for all 500 of those yards, just kinda seems like he would have to test the secondary and take a couple chances..

15 pass plays called...... Not much room for error, no INT's... And we won...

Its all good....

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Mindtornado wrote:

Dont forget the hot headed Incognito who has been a great addition so far... He handled his assignment in that one as well as coming across and pulling on another.. He mauled D linemen...

The guy really seems to be shining in this system.. No doubt we have one tough O-Line...

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Sanchez was throwing into cover almost every time... He was picking on a young secondary that many saw as a liability coming into this season. They just had a good outing week one and confused people. They are young, and very fast. But with good WR's that win the fight in single cover they get exposed. I would imagine our coaches are well aware of that and test them in 2 weeks as well.

All I saw was highlights of Schaub, but I doubt that the WR's were open for all 500 of those yards, just kinda seems like he would have to test the secondary and take a couple chances..

Don't want to keep writing novels, but you brought up two more good points. Sanchez, an inexperienced guy, took advantage of a bad secondary much like Henne against the Jags in preseason. He wasn't throwing bombs all over the field, but like you said, took advantage of mismatches. Henne hasn't played that type of secondary yet, but I'm sure he will do much of the same when given the opportunity (just like Sanchez didnt do much vs BAL). Schaub wasn't pulling a Favre or Flacco (heaving bad passes), but was able to work the deep game because of confidence and experience, and of course setting up the shorter game.

Trust me, I wish Miami had a high flying offense too. Point is they just aren't there yet (with personnel or Henne's experience/confidence/consistency...etc) to make it a larger part of the game plan. We can gripe about the play calling but if the situation doesn't need it then you don't have to risk it. I wouldn't doubt that Henne pounds on some bad secondaries this season and he will face quite a few (NE twice, CLE, DET, CHI). Patience, its still developing.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]