View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 
 Senior Bowl Practice Day 1 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Senior Bowl Practice Day 1
Did anybody happen to see this on NFL Network? I was just wondering if it was worth watching.....

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:43 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Senior Bowl Practice Day 1
I did, however, they only showed the North team practice, not Sparano's South team.
Just some quick observations...

SC's boy Brandon Graham, DE/OLB out of Michigan was awesome...schooled a poor LT in the 1v1 drills with ease.
Jacoby Ford looked pretty good. Kid is fast.
The CB out of Boise St. (name escapes me), was ridiculously good in WR/CB drills.
Jared Odrick, DT out of Penn St., looked good too. Looks strong and quick.
Alerric Mullins, DT out of UNC looked good as well...only showed a little bit of him though. hardly anything to go by.
Alex Carrington, pass rusher from Arkansas St., looked pretty good as a speed rusher off the edge.
Daryl Washington looks real fast, the ILB out of TCU. He's too small to play 34 ILB though.

Those are some quick reactions from what I can remember. Didn't take any notes or anything. The next 3 days they will be practicing in full pads, and more 11 v 11 drills, (all they had were 7v7, and 1v1 drills today).

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:59 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Thanks for the info, I have to set my DVR tonight for tomorrow's practice....

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:11 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I certainly will be checking it out tonight.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:06 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Here is some observations from Phinfever Live buddy Matt Bitonti:

Quote:
Heaviest & Largest Hands: Terrance Cody, Alabama: 370, 11 1/4".

Tallest: Sam Young, Notre Dame: 6'7" & 1/2.

Longest Arms: Mike Iupati, Idaho: 35".

Offense:

Ole Miss RB #22 Dexter McCluster played like a star today. He exploded through the line and was able to exploit tiny holes for big gains. Easy to imagine him doing the same at the next level.

Oklahoma State QB #10 Zac Robinson was a smooth operator, throwing timely and tight sprials. Robinson was able to connect with UAB WR #5 Joe Webb on the deepest pass of the session.

Florida QB #15 Tim Tebow had an up-and-down session. Pro: play-action fake leading to connection with Ole Miss WR #3 Shay Hodge during 9-on-7's. Cons: trouble with center exchange, a long windup and inaccuracy.

Defense:

Alabama DT #62 Terrence Cody was an immovable object at the point of attack. Cody didn't push the pocket but will not give ground. In better shape he has unique potential.

South Florida DE #95 George Selvie couldn't be handled by the South tackles. Selvie displayed the first step and balance required of N.F.L. ends. Selvie made an impact in both run and pass situations.

Auburn DE #52 Antonio Coleman also was a menace in pass rush drills, displaying good hand fighting and aggression.

Much more: http://draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile YIM

Selvie is a kid that a lot of people have forgotten about. I brought him up a few weeks ago. I think that he is a better player then Pierre-Paul, (from the little I have seen). I think he would be a nice pick-up in round 2 or 3.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:54 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

George Selvie was a guy I bought up in my blog a few weeks ago when I was addressing the linebacker position. I basically looked at DE that could make the conversion to OLB in a 3-4 scheme and I like Selvie and his size at 6'4, 250 lbs, and his athleticism.

Another kid I was watching and keeping an eye on had a bad break first day of Senior Bowl, as O'Brien Schofield, the DE from Wisconsin tore his ACL. He is 6'2, 242 lbs and played DE for Wiscy and lead the team with 12 sacks and had made the move to OLB at the East-West Shrine Bowl were he was MVP.

JP, the CB you were talking about from Boise State was Kyle Wilson. I think he is a nice CB.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

South Team: Good Days
Julianne Varacchi/ESPN.com
Joe Webb 6'3" 220
looks to have the tools to make a successful transition from quarterback to wide receiver.
UAB WR Joe Webb -- Webb started his career at UAB as a wide receiver before moving to quarterback, and now he is switching back. He dropped a couple of catchable deep balls on Day 1 but impressed us with his ability to create separation. He is a very good athlete and was a surprisingly good route-runner for a player who spent little time as a receiver in college. He snatched anything thrown at him underneath, showed good burst out of his breaks and got upfield quickly after the catch. We're interested to see whether he can carry over the momentum he gained.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:28 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Quote:
Ole Miss OT #77 John Jerry received tons of attention from the Dolphins coaching staff. His appeal to power-running teams is apparent.

Looking to shore up the O-Line even more?

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:09 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:
Quote:
Ole Miss OT #77 John Jerry received tons of attention from the Dolphins coaching staff. His appeal to power-running teams is apparent.

Why not, lets get a line so good that we can run no matter what. Who needs a passing game any way

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 pm

We have a good enough passing game to support the run... I don't think this coaching staff is looking to throw the ball 30 times a game... they'd be happy running it 40-50 times and passing it 20.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:20 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

They may draft a tackle and move him to guard. Didn't Parcells do that in Dallas... I mean sign a tackle and move him to guard?

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:20 pm

IamPZ wrote:
We have a good enough passing game to support the run...

I strongly disagree. I believe our lack of a consistent passing game actually held back our running game this year. I know we're ranked 4th in rushing yards etc, but I don't think our running game was as good as it would be if we could actually attack downfield.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:22 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
I did, however, they only showed the North team practice, not Sparano's South team.
Just some quick observations...

SC's boy Brandon Graham, DE/OLB out of Michigan was awesome...schooled a poor LT in the 1v1 drills with ease.
Jacoby Ford looked pretty good. Kid is fast.
The CB out of Boise St. (name escapes me), was ridiculously good in WR/CB drills.
Jared Odrick, DT out of Penn St., looked good too. Looks strong and quick.
Alerric Mullins, DT out of UNC looked good as well...only showed a little bit of him though. hardly anything to go by.
Alex Carrington, pass rusher from Arkansas St., looked pretty good as a speed rusher off the edge.
Daryl Washington looks real fast, the ILB out of TCU. He's too small to play 34 ILB though.

Those are some quick reactions from what I can remember. Didn't take any notes or anything. The next 3 days they will be practicing in full pads, and more 11 v 11 drills, (all they had were 7v7, and 1v1 drills today).

CB Kyle Wilson Boise St was the corner who sure looked good to me!!

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

I strongly disagree. I believe our lack of a consistent passing game actually held back our running game this year. I know we're ranked 4th in rushing yards etc, but I don't think our running game was as good as it would be if we could actually attack downfield.

I thought they did pretty well...

It was Henne's first year starting and he threw for 221/game with 12 td's and 14 int's

Not stellar #'s, but certainly ok for supporting the run. Plus we'll have Henne back for his 2nd year starting, we have Camarillo back (maybe) in full force and probably a lot more confident.

Idk, to me the passing game was good enough... the defense towards the end of the year was our fail point.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:29 pm

IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

I thought they did pretty well...

It was Henne's first year starting and he threw for 221/game with 12 td's and 14 int's

Not stellar #'s, but certainly ok for supporting the run. Plus we'll have Henne back for his 2nd year starting, we have Camarillo back (maybe) in full force and probably a lot more confident.

Idk, to me the passing game was good enough... the defense towards the end of the year was our fail point.

We need players that can attack downfield. If all you do is throw it short to possession receivers, you really shorten the field. You need to make the best defenses play the entire field or they will shut down your passing and running game.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Rich wrote:
We need players that can attack downfield. If all you do is throw it short to possession receivers, you really shorten the field. You need to make the best defenses play the entire field or they will shut down your passing and running game.

So do we keep Ginn and try using him more to attack deep? Or do we go after someone via the draft?

Hartline had some nice deep plays too, he runs some really crisp routes for a kid.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 pm

IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:

So do we keep Ginn and try using him more to attack deep? Or do we go after someone via the draft?

Hartline had some nice deep plays too, he runs some really crisp routes for a kid.

I don't know what we do, but this team needs to get vertical more often. Look at what the Jets were doing with a rookie QB. Run, run, run.... playaction deep to Edwards.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:

I don't know what we do, but this team needs to get vertical more often. Look at what the Jets were doing with a rookie QB. Run, run, run.... playaction deep to Edwards.

Ginn is very similar to DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Percy Harvin... yet those 3 guys get involved in their offenses and he can't seem to do jack on ours... whats the deal with that?

Anywho, back to the Senior Bowl. I really can't wait for this game on Saturday... the only one I've ever watched is the one that Tomlinson was in... but I'm getting so much more into the draft lately that this one is gonna be sweeetttt

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:01 pm

IamPZ wrote:
Ginn is very similar to DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Percy Harvin... yet those 3 guys get involved in their offenses and he can't seem to do jack on ours... whats the deal with that?

No, he is not.

They are football players. He just runs fast.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Also, Maclin, Harvin, and Jackson are very quick and they have toughness. Ginn has neither...

BTW guys, the NFL Network is showing South practice today....Sparano's. Lol...from the highlights from yesterday you can hear Sparano yelling at the players, treating them like his own. I love it.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Well I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Wish I could be home for that... start class tonight though.

It's on right now.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:57 pm

IamPZ wrote:

Not a matter of giving up but of what we have seen so far, but he has been in the league longer than those guys and they have accomplished more. Has he shown you anything to make you think he has toughness?

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:16 pm

IamPZ wrote:
Quote:

He's actually a Guard. He just went 1v1 with Dan Williams, the potential NT out of Tennessee....Got the better of him the first time, but then Williams came back and did a nice job pushing him back into the pocket the second time.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Watching Day 2 and Dexter McCluster is looking crazy good, no one out there can cover him, slants, go's outs, he gets in and out of his cuts so fast he is a do it all kinda guy.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:28 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Hey phin fan from England here.

Watching the second day and have you seen Cody blow the center about 7 yards into the back field yet !!! WOW

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Not a matter of giving up but of what we have seen so far, but he has been in the league longer than those guys and they have accomplished more. Has he shown you anything to make you think he has toughness?

Nope, but I think we could utilize him better. Even if we just use him on slants and straight go routes.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

^
^
^
^
Man.....what Rich said is oh so true. Harvin and Jackson made big plays for their teams.....even as rookies....and did it consistently. They are improving with each game too. Ginn makes a play here and there and then just disappears for big stretches. He is even worse than Chris Chambers was in that regard.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:22 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
^
^
^
^
Man.....what Rich said is oh so true. Harvin and Jackson made big plays for their teams.....even as rookies....and did it consistently. They are improving with each game too. Ginn makes a play here and there and then just disappears for big stretches. He is even worse than Chris Chambers was in that regard.

Let's see...

Percy Harvin >> Brett Favre
DeSean Jackson >> Donovan McNabb
Ted Ginn Jr. >> Lemon, Green, Beck, Pennington, Henne

Holy snikey's!!!

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:25 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

With a healthy Brown, are passing game is definitely good enough, but if we can get 1 big time WR or even TE our offense is going to be tough.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

No, he is not.

They are football players. He just runs fast.

Put DeSean Jackson, Maclin, or Harvin on this team and we'd be talking about them just like we do Ginn.

Anybody know how many times we threw the ball way downfield to Ginn, more often than not it was a big play. I'm talking when the QB really puts air under the ball and lets Ginn go get it.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ginn stinks. Get over it. 3 years and little production. Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin would easily lead this team in yards per catch, TD's and receiving yards. Do you really believe Hartline is as good or better than them? He would have to be....since he is our clear leader in yards per catch....and actually leads in receiving TD's with a horrid 3 TD total....and Hartline did that with limited playing time. Ginn simply is not productive at all, nor is he consistent.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Ginn stinks. Get over it. 3 years and little production. Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin would easily lead this team in yards per catch, TD's and receiving yards. Do you really believe Hartline is as good or better than them? He would have to be....since he is our clear leader in yards per catch....and actually leads in receiving TD's with a horrid 3 TD total....and Hartline did that with limited playing time. Ginn simply is not productive at all, nor is he consistent.

Ginn didn't exactly start this year either... so I don't think the "limited playing time" line comes into play here.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]