Yes 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Unsure 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
Total votes: 17
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
The Dolphins have focused their search on Patriots linebackers coach Brian Flores for the position and are expected to hire him, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

A three-year letter-winning linebacker at Boston College, Flores has worked for the Patriots since 2004, first breaking into the organization in the personnel department as a scouting assistant and eventually transitioning into coaching as an assistant in 2008. He's served in a variety of roles: defensive assistant, offensive assistant/special teams coach, safeties coach and finally, linebackers coach. This season also saw him take over defensive playcalling duties after the departure of Matt Patricia, and the results bode well.

New England finished seventh in the NFL in points allowed per game (20.3).

Overall, one fact is clear: Flores has traveled a winding, blue, red and silver road to this point and has gained the experience necessary for a head coaching job. With the backing of positive reviews from multiple Patriots staffers, per Rapoport, Miami has deemed him ready to take the position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ores-as-hc

My man Jeff Darlington reporting that Miami wasn’t necessarily looking for a guy that specialized on one particular side of the ball, but someone that can lead the locker room and have the ability to sit back and oversee all operations of the team. I like the approach.

No formal offers yet until NE is elmimated from the playoffs but if Miami is as set on him as they see to be, I’d imagine they will get him considering how much of a promotion it would be for this guy. He’s always been a top assistant coach.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I’m not entirely sold on or against this guy.

Apparently he has history with GM Grier.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Trying to recall which assistant coaches that have left the Patriots organization and succeeded as Head Coaches. I’m drawing a blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Trying to recall which assistant coaches that have left the Patriots organization and succeeded as Head Coaches. I’m drawing a blank.

Look no further. Here is your Billycheat coaching tree database. All head coaches.

Matt Patricia | DET | 6-10 | No Playoffs (...yet)

Bill O’Brien | HOU | 42-38 | 1-3 Playoffs

Eric Mangina | NYJ, CLE | 33-47 | 0-1 Playoffs

Josh McDaniels | DEN | 11-17 | No Playoffs

Romeo Crennel | CLE, KC | 28-55 | No Playoffs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:28 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

First time for everything.

He has defensive, offensive and specials team coaching experience and was also on the scouting side for four years.

Interesting resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Interesting resume for sure.

This definitely looks like a Grier hire, so hopefully he knows what he's doing.

If not, in 3 years Ross will be looking for a new GM who's first priority will be hiring a new coach.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:25 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I've also heard he really likes Loggains and Burke as coordinators.

Bad joke. Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Flores is the guy Grier was going to hire from day one, because they are buddies. Nevermind there are more qualified candidates out there. Ross should have cleaned house completely.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Flores is the guy Grier was going to hire from day one, because they are buddies. Nevermind there are more qualified candidates out there. Ross should have cleaned house completely.

This doesn't mean that he won't be successful though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:15 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phinsforever wrote:
Quote:

This doesn't mean that he won't be successful though.

True. I just wish, given that Ross entrusted him to make the right decision, that he would be more open-minded in his decision making.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:15 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

I like him only if he is hired.
If not. Once a cheater always a cheater.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I just want to know what this guy's plan is.......does he have a coaching staff in mind? I mean really, what kind of staff can a LB coach put together? Suppose the Patriots win Sunday, that's another week good assistants can be going to other teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:

Spoken like a true fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:08 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
My man Jeff Darlington reporting that Miami wasn’t necessarily looking for a guy that specialized on one particular side of the ball, but someone that can lead the locker room and have the ability to sit back and oversee all operations of the team. I like the approach.

I'm not sure about the hire, but I like that he knows all facets of operations, came from scouting, has a history with Grier (which means that Grier was just as sold as Ross), and is a very organized leader. We'll have to see. As long as he isn't another Hue Jackson (whom some of his team described as Michael Scott from the Office). Flores was actually my third choice (Kris Richards, Darren Rizzi, Flores). He also seems like a Belichick "business as usual" kind of a guy.

I guess "leaking" the news now means that if he wants the job then he can now finalize his initial feelers to those whom he wanted as part of his staff. Hopefully Rizzi will be a part of that. Everyone else can go.

jgod1 wrote:
I've also heard he really likes Loggains and Burke as coordinators.

Bad joke. Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

You hurt me real deep with that one as I hadn't had a chance to scour the news yet. I need to go change my jockies now.

:))

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:26 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A good clip as you see him relate to players, and you hear what the Dolphins probably liked about him.

Barry Jackson wrote:
One agent who has had multiple clients play for Flores said: “I’ve gotten nothing but rave reviews from my guys about him. He’s highly respected and guys love him. Smart, organized, diligent. He gets the player perspective. He’s not an ego-manic, not a control freak. Very balanced on the sidelines in his demeanor.”

Another agent said his clients have told him Flores is “detailed” and smart.

Another NFL official said a player told him years ago to keep an eye on Flores as an up-and-comer in the industry.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:18 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Relive1972 wrote:
I just want to know what this guy's plan is.......does he have a coaching staff in mind? I mean really, what kind of staff can a LB coach put together? Suppose the Patriots win Sunday, that's another week good assistants can be going to other teams.

It’s all irrelevant R. This hiring process further proves what a down in the dumps franchise the Fins are. Sure, this guy may be “genius” in disguise, I mean we are due for some good luck, the last successful HC hire for the franchise was 1970 so after nearly half a century maybe the odds begin to favor us? Maybe?? Oh, well, at least thankfully he doesn’t come with the false pub of a Gase, so expectations are low, if there are any at all.

The sad truth is no one available of any known quantity, ie., accomplishments and expertise, wanted any part of the Dolphins, as it would have been a three year road to a permanent blemish on their resume and sure unemployment. The hope for me now is this guy doesn’t talk much to Josh McDaniels, who may convince him to pass. What an embarrassment that would be, eh?.

But thinking “positively” now, (ahem!), Miami’s only option was the bottom of the barrel and that’s where this guy and the other interviewees lived. Loggains? Rizzi?? Puuulease! Coordinators will be a reach just like the HC. Player evaluation will be anyone’s guess. Draft success given Grier’s clear fingerprints all over that process over the past any number of years a major crapshoot. If we thought we were down and out prepare for the next level down. Maybe they’ll start climbing out of their hole around 2020 or 2021 if somehow they stumble, bumble into the next QB, but good luck to that kid. Hope he comes wearing an armored suit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:23 am 

Relive1972 wrote:

It is being reported that Jim Caldwell would come in as offensive coordinator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Relive1972 wrote:
I just want to know what this guy's plan is.......

I read that he came into his interview with the Dolphins with a detailed plan for the next 9 months. I'm sure he had a staff already in mind in that interview. The Dolphins came away VERY impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Relive1972 wrote:
I just want to know what this guy's plan is

Make the team better and win a championship

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phin wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Spoken like a true fan

lol don't let the hyperbole fool you, he likes to make fun of the Phins and their fans.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
lol don't let the hyperbole fool you, he likes to make fun of the Phins and their fans.

Sorry to break it to Finesse but all fanbases are the same. We all share the same blind homer fanboys, to the eternal pessimists down to the realists.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:16 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Hopefully, he's the guy to give us the worst record in '20, so we can get Trevor Lawrence in '21.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is a good point.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 am 

No homer issue here but if you go back to that mess of a press conference with Ross and Grier , basically what Ross was saying is that he wants to be the Patriots.
Now we have their best receiver in Amendola and best coach in Flores. I like the strategy. Everyone is trying to find the next McVay. Im thinking in a year from now when those 5 or 6 head coaching jobs open up those teams will be looking for the next Flores. NE will suffer with out him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:42 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

He wasn't my last choice, as Dennis Allen and Dowell Loggains win that honor. But after reading up on him I am a little more hopeful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Sounds promising. But then again so did Gase. I like that fact about having played against the team twice a year for a long time. I think it really helped his chances of getting hired, too.

One thing's forsure, if this hire happens, Miami will be in play for a lot more Patriot free agents for the foreseeable future.

It seems pretty obvious the front office went into this coaching search with a defensive preference (not necessarily a must, just a preference) and came away with someone who can cover many areas (potentially that is).

Like Rich said, definitely an interesting resume. Tough to say no.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:31 am 

What a defensive game plan he helped create against that Charger offense. So looking forward to next season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:22 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

They have to have 3 or 4 successful drafts. Including finding the long term answer at QB. There is no quick fix for the current state of the Dolphins. Its going to get worse before it gets better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 am 

The rumor is that Marc Colombo will come to the Dolphins as OL coach. He is currently the OL coach of the Cowboys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:29 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
The rumor is that Marc Colombo will come to the Dolphins as OL coach. He is currently the OL coach of the Cowboys.

This is what I remember from Colombo’s days as a Dolphin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
This is what I remember from Colombo’s days as a Dolphin.

We do like to hire those old farts whose best days are behind them. He last year in the league was that lone year he played with us. He seems to have done a decent job with the Cowboys. Isn't he under contract with da Boys?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:06 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Saw today that Mike Munchak agreed to become the Broncos' new OL coach. Nice to see an example of a coach getting turned down for a position but still winds up with the team somehow; something I hope happens with Darren Rizzi. I love Miami's special teams unit and we all know he is a very large reason why it has been so good. I would consider the team lucky if he decides to comes back. Dan Campbell didn't seem like he was very interested in the team after he got spurned, hope this isn't the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

There were a lot of rumors that we would bring in Columbo to coach the OL after doing a nice job at Dallas since he took over midseason. That would be false, and I didn't think the Cowboys would let him get away.

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]