Phinfever.com

Catch the madness!

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:07 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
I was really impressed with him today in the East-West game. He has Dallas Clark written all over him, IMO.

I think he could be a dangerous WR/TE hybrid similar to a Dallas Clark. Right now he's a projected round 4 or 5 pick.

Goes about 6'5, 250, has way too much speed for a LB, but has good enough size to block out a DB. He put up great numbers as a Jr., and good numbers as a Sr., (although they did go down a bit)

Did you guys get a chance to see him play today? I was pretty impressed.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
I was really impressed with him today in the East-West game. He has Dallas Clark written all over him, IMO.


:hithead:

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
After further review...I think Phins Rock might actually be on to something this time. Both were walk-ons, both had outstanding final years at their respective schools, and they have identical 40 times. Both can be flexed. A difference I see in Pitta is his height. I've seen him listed as 6'4" and 6'5"...that inch can make a difference. Both are more receivers than blockers, but I guess that's Pitta's only downfall.

What really helped Clark elevate though (other than Manning) is definitely the system. They run virtually the same thing as Iowa did when he came out...a form of spread, 3 wides, the TE and a running back. He was usually on the end of the line and helped in the zone blocking scheme. The Colts run the exact same thing. 3 wides, a TE and a running back and most of their out of that formation is zone blocking..stretch blocking. So if you're going to draft Pitta, you'd have to think you'd want to fit him in the same type of role.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:50 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Iowafin wrote:
After further review...I think Phins Rock might actually be on to something this time. Both were walk-ons, both had outstanding final years at their respective schools, and they have identical 40 times. Both can be flexed. A difference I see in Pitta is his height. I've seen him listed as 6'4" and 6'5"...that inch can make a difference. Both are more receivers than blockers, but I guess that's Pitta's only downfall.

What really helped Clark elevate though (other than Manning) is definitely the system. They run virtually the same thing as Iowa did when he came out...a form of spread, 3 wides, the TE and a running back. He was usually on the end of the line and helped in the zone blocking scheme. The Colts run the exact same thing. 3 wides, a TE and a running back and most of their out of that formation is zone blocking..stretch blocking. So if you're going to draft Pitta, you'd have to think you'd want to fit him in the same type of role.


If Pitta were to ever become a starter, he would definitely have to be developed as a blocker, but I think he does have the size to be able to do that. He can create a lot of mis-matches though. I like him.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
After further review...I think Phins Rock might actually be on to something this time. Both were walk-ons, both had outstanding final years at their respective schools, and they have identical 40 times. Both can be flexed. A difference I see in Pitta is his height. I've seen him listed as 6'4" and 6'5"...that inch can make a difference. Both are more receivers than blockers, but I guess that's Pitta's only downfall.

What really helped Clark elevate though (other than Manning) is definitely the system. They run virtually the same thing as Iowa did when he came out...a form of spread, 3 wides, the TE and a running back. He was usually on the end of the line and helped in the zone blocking scheme. The Colts run the exact same thing. 3 wides, a TE and a running back and most of their out of that formation is zone blocking..stretch blocking. So if you're going to draft Pitta, you'd have to think you'd want to fit him in the same type of role.


If Pitta were to ever become a starter, he would definitely have to be developed as a blocker, but I think he does have the size to be able to do that. He can create a lot of mis-matches though. I like him.


Dallas Clark didn't have to.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:48 am
Posts: 442
Phins Rock wrote:
I was really impressed with him today in the East-West game. He has Dallas Clark written all over him, IMO.

I think he could be a dangerous WR/TE hybrid similar to a Dallas Clark. Right now he's a projected round 4 or 5 pick.

Goes about 6'5, 250, has way too much speed for a LB, but has good enough size to block out a DB. He put up great numbers as a Jr., and good numbers as a Sr., (although they did go down a bit)

Did you guys get a chance to see him play today? I was pretty impressed.




4th or 5th round i would really be interested in him ,not sure he lasts that long
i have him going in 3rd

he had limited playing time in the game ,but according to a some of my friends who watched more of the game as me did well in the game and during all the practices

andrew quarless[te] seems to be a guy who interests me as well,according to the reports did well


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:09 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Iowafin wrote:
Dallas Clark didn't have to.


Actually Clark has developed into a decent blocker. But Coach Sparano isn't going to have a TE on his roster who can't block...regardless of what he can do in the passing game.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:01 am 
Offline
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:06 pm
Posts: 7
I watched Pitta live this year many times. He is very strong, great hands, and has good football IQ. He is also a hard worker. I would definately take him in round 4 if he is still there. BYU players usually do a bit later than they should. Austin Collie would have been a GREAT fit for Miami last year and is a future number 1 receiver/pro bowler. If we had taken him rather than Pat White we would could be focusing just on D and perhaps a RB this year.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Dallas Clark didn't have to.


Actually Clark has developed into a decent blocker. But Coach Sparano isn't going to have a TE on his roster who can't block...regardless of what he can do in the passing game.


Not really, Clark's blocking isn't exactly a focal point of the Colts offense, especially considering their ranked 32nd in rush offense, and weren't much better last year.
Regardless, you said Pitta would have to become a better blocker if he were to ever make it as a starter. Are you saying with the Dolphins? Because that was exactly my point...if you're going to draft him, utilize him like the Colts do with Clark...don't force him into something he's not. Which would be what would happen if Miami were to draft him, which is why he won't get drafted by the Dolphins.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Dallas Clark didn't have to.


Actually Clark has developed into a decent blocker. But Coach Sparano isn't going to have a TE on his roster who can't block...regardless of what he can do in the passing game.


Not really, Clark's blocking isn't exactly a focal point of the Colts offense, especially considering their ranked 32nd in rush offense, and weren't much better last year.
Regardless, you said Pitta would have to become a better blocker if he were to ever make it as a starter. Are you saying with the Dolphins? Because that was exactly my point...if you're going to draft him, utilize him like the Colts do with Clark...don't force him into something he's not. Which would be what would happen if Miami were to draft him, which is why he won't get drafted by the Dolphins.


Right.

It sure would be nice to have a hybrid type of a TE like that though. A guy like that could be invaluable.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:00 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:13 pm
Posts: 30
Well Clark suck as part of the run game. he belongs on a spread team like he is now. A lot of pick and FA get better with there situation they fall in , Not always ther skill. We are a power team we need a Heath Miller or tony gonzales tyoe that can do both


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 DRAFT GURU
2016 DRAFT GURU

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5501
Location: Columbia, SC
I like Dennis Pitta a good bit, but the key for him is will he be able to develop as a inline blocker. We know coming out of the BYU system he more than understands the passing game.

He has the size and has the frame to put on some additional weight as well.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:38 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
You guys catch my boy Pitta today??

BEAST. 4.5 40, 27 reps (!!!), caught the ball real fluidly in the gontlet....I love this guy. If he's there in round 2 we have to consider him.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
You guys catch my boy Pitta today??

BEAST. 4.5 40, 27 reps (!!!), caught the ball real fluidly in the gontlet....I love this guy. If he's there in round 2 we have to consider him.


I'm looking at the combine site, and I don't see Pitta running anywhere near a 4.5

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
4.57 was the unofficial time.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
4.57 was the unofficial time.


Link?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:08 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
No link. I was watching live on the NFL Network.

I'll try and see if an official times has come out yet.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 1063
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Dorin Dickerson has been tearing up all the drills too. I like him a lot from a measurable stand point.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:55 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Like I said in another forum, he is too inconsistent with his hands. Plus, I don't know if he's a willing blocker. Pitta is, as well as Jimmy Graham from what Mayock has been saying.

I'm relaly becoming a fan of Graham.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 7004
Location: ELP, TX.
Quote:
BYU TE Dennis Pitta ran an official forty time of 4.62 at the Scouting Combine Saturday.

He also had a strong, 34.5-inch vertical. Pitta, born in '85, is older than most prospects in this class after a two-year Mormon mission, but has vehemently answered lingering questions about his athleticism. The forty time is among the best by any of the tight ends. He may sneak into round two. Feb. 27 - 1:53 pm et


http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 360&spln=1

_________________
Image

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/finsradio

RIP, Tom


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 659
Phins Rock wrote:
Like I said in another forum, he is too inconsistent with his hands. Plus, I don't know if he's a willing blocker. Pitta is, as well as Jimmy Graham from what Mayock has been saying.

I'm relaly becoming a fan of Graham.
As with many tight ends/receivers in Wanny's system Dickerson wasn't given many opportunities. With Dickerson's size and speed he would most likely transition to receiver at the next level albeit undrafted or as a 7th round flyer.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:32 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Thanks Hen.

4.62 is moving. I love Pitta, but I would not take him before round 3 because I do think there are several mid round guys who could be very good pass catchers at TE. This is a real deep class.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Went from 4.5 to 4.62

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:33 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Well I said 4.57......so a .05 differential is really that big.

The point is the guy can giddy-up.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
You guys catch my boy Pitta today??

BEAST. 4.5 40, 27 reps (!!!), caught the ball real fluidly in the gontlet....I love this guy. If he's there in round 2 we have to consider him.


No, I'm pretty sure you said 4.5
Regardless, I think we'd all agree that the difference between a 4.35 40 and a 4.4 is pretty big

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:02 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
I said 4.57 in my next post.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
I said 4.57 in my next post.


Yeah...I realize that. So it went from 4.5 to 4.62
Just because 4.57 was in between doesn't mean it still didn't go from 4.5 to 4.62

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
4.57 is 4.5.................?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
4.57 is 4.5.................?


What school of math properties did you go to?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
To the school that qualified a 4.5 as anything that begins with "4.5".

4.57 begins with 4.5, therefore, it is a 4.5........

In any case, that's a faster time than Anquan Boldin and Jerry Rice ran. The kid can move.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
To the school that qualified a 4.5 as anything that begins with "4.5".

4.57 begins with 4.5, therefore, it is a 4.5........

In any case, that's a faster time than Anquan Boldin and Jerry Rice ran. The kid can move.


Ridiculous logic. There is a reason they put that hundredth place there...if 4.57 is the same as 4.5, why even bother specifying?
4.29 equals 4.2...what's the difference? Nothing according to you.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:58 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Correct.

They specify it further to better distance/compare the players.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Phins Rock wrote:
Correct.

They specify it further to better distance/compare the players.


4.5 is not 4.57

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Lol. Whatever iowa.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r