Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Post subject: PFF: Kenyan Drake
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:47 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

What surprised me when looking back at the game were the Ajayi-like broken tackles after contact. Very impressive.

PFF wrote:
The Miami Dolphins got a huge effort from running back Kenyan Drake in the teams Week 13 win over the Denver Broncos. With just one game left to play this week, Drakes 95.4 game grade is the highest of the week across all positions.

Drake was incredible producing yards beyond the scope of what his blockers created for him. 106 of his 120 yards came after contact on the day. On 26 total touches, Drake forced nine missed tackles and on his 23 carries he averaged a whopping 4.61 yards after contact per attempt. In total he produced an elusive rating of 159.5 which ranked second behind only Alvin Kamara this week.

The Dolphins have gotten solid production from Drake since they traded Jay Ajayi earlier this season. His overall grade of 74.0 ranks 34th out of 62 eligible running backs. In a limited sample, Drake has been very effective generating extra yards all season. On his 83 touches he has forced 21 missed tackles and when running the ball has averaged 4.69 yards after contact per carry.

Drake has also shown a knack for the big play, with 46.9 percent of his yards coming on runs of 15 yards or more, the third-highest percentage among running backs with at least 62 carries.

Pass protection has been an underrated skill of Drake’s. He currently leads all running backs in pass-blocking efficiency, not allowing a single pressure on 25 pass-block snaps.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... he-broncos

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Post subject: Re: PFF: Kenyan Drake
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:33 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

They must be counting when a finger nail touched a thread...He was breaking into the second level barely being touched.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

That would be because of two things: 1) Drake isn't trying to break a home run on every run. He runs to where the hole is supposed to be, and then he lets things develop. (2) Drake is our best pass-blocking running back.

Joe Schad wrote:
1. Kenyan Drake has been an upgrade over Jay Ajayi.

This is not a knock on all Ajayi did for the Dolphins last season, when his powerful running style sparked Miami’s turnaround and run to the playoffs. But Ajayi did not look as good this season as he did last season, when he was a Pro Bowler. Many shuddered at the Dolphins giving up Ajayi for just a fourth-round pick. But part of the decision was to clear the way for Drake, a more dynamic, explosive, shifty, big-play threat. Drake is faster, a better receiver, has superior vision and is stronger than the typical slashing back. On 138 carries early in the season, Ajayi averaged 3.4 yards per carry. On 65 carries this season, Drake is averaging 4.9, which would be tied for seventh in the NFL if he had enough carries. If he keeps toting it 20 times a game, Drake may qualify by season’s end. The last five games of this season are in large part about discovering if Drake can be a lead back, and on Sunday, he took a step toward that, flashing even when long runs were called back on holding calls. In the first quarter, a holding call on Mike Pouncey negated a 17-yard run. Although it didn’t count, it was an excellent example of how Drake is stronger than advertised. He may not be a bull like Ajayi, but he can break tackles. Drake was all but dropped for a two-yard loss. But he kept his balance, touched one hand to the ground and kept the play alive. A defender had his hand around Drake’s ankle, but Drake escapes and darted toward the left sideline, with great acceleration and burst. In the third quarter, Drake navigated through the middle for a key 42-yard gain. On the play, Drake showed off his ability to hop around in small spaces, to make defenders miss, to find seams and creases with vision and a feel for his surroundings. Those qualities are as valuable if not more than his blazing straight-ahead speed. And Drake is no one-trick pony. Not only did he go for 42, he also had runs of: 11, 9, 8, 8, 7, 7, 6, 5 and 5 on Sunday. That’s the type of consistency Miami craves. Even when it’s not blocked up perfectly, Drake can turn a profit.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... -a-review/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
They must be counting when a finger nail touched a thread...He was breaking into the second level barely being touched.

Let's see: Do I trust Pro Football Focus who has experts that grade every play, or do I trust Kev who only makes a post to take a swipe at Tannehill (in this case, he is taking a swipe at PFF because they support the fact that Miami's OL is terrible and Kev does not)?

I think I'll go with PFF.

Check out this good blocking .... not. He should have been tackled behind the LOS.

https://twitter.com/KDx32/status/937733106915737602

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:33 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I'm not sure how he escaped there, that was Barry Sandersesque.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:29 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Every time I see that clip my mind thinks he is tackled until he Houdini's out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:21 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Let's see: Do I trust Pro Football Focus who has experts that grade every play, or do I trust Kev who only makes a post to take a swipe at Tannehill (in this case, he is taking a swipe at PFF because they support the fact that Miami's OL is terrible and Kev does not)?

I think I'll go with PFF.

Check out this good blocking .... not. He should have been tackled behind the LOS.

Well I did watch the game...I did see him running through holes.

And must you turn every thread into a Tannehill is a bum thread.

All we hear here is how bad Tunsil was at guard last year. How many sacks has Miami given up this year? Or last for that matter. Ok compare?
We were 8th in rushing last season...So bad!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
Every time I see that clip my mind thinks he is tackled until he Houdini's out of it.

Not to mention the one last week where he slipped through a crack a stick figure wouldn't made it through. I think with him and Williams we're fine at RB.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:40 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

So far whoever is responsible for player personnel, in the last few years, seems to be adept at procuring running backs and receivers.

Here's to hoping that they increase their repertoire.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:51 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

It is amazing how we keep getting backs that are all world at yards after contact.... Must be a special talent out front office looks for.
Not just any back can run behind this line.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
It is amazing how we keep getting backs that are all world at yards after contact.... Must be a special talent out front office looks for.

I read that he is also our best pass blocking back. We've done well analyzing running backs and receivers. The coaches like Damian Williams, but I'm not that smitten with him myself. He is hardworking, has nice hands, but to me he plays slow. I think his position can be upgraded.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

zatrex99 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Not to mention the one last week where he slipped through a crack a stick figure wouldn't made it through. I think with him and Williams we're fine at RB.

Yet still never stuck a 2nd hand on the ball. This guy is a fumble waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

NFLJunkie wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Yet still never stuck a 2nd hand on the ball. This guy is a fumble waiting to happen.

What a bum him scoring a TD like that. Trade him or cut him. Cut him now. : )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:59 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Drake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:16 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Ajayi who?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:39 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

I read that he is also our best pass blocking back. We've done well analyzing running backs and receivers. The coaches like Damian Williams, but I'm not that smitten with him myself. He is hardworking, has nice hands, but to me he plays slow. I think his position can be upgraded.

He missed a block that caused a sack...But it is nothing short of a miracle how he can play as good as Ajayi behind this line...Because we all know Ajayi was the only reason we had a run game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

He missed a block that caused a sack...But it is nothing short of a miracle how he can play as good as Ajayi behind this line...Because we all know Ajayi was the only reason we had a run game.

For the most part, the line pass blocked well, it did not run block well. Most of Drake's running yards came on two plays where the hole he was suppose to run into had a saftey there to meet him and he made two incredible plays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:31 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

We do have another special back... That's for sure..

Bama just didn't know what they had.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Great performance by Drake. That spin move was a thing of beauty and so was that seam route he ran. We certainly seem to have a potentially special back on our hands.

What I will be interested to see going forwards is whether Gase continues to use him as a workhorse when Williams is healthy enough to play, or will we see him revert to using some sort of one-two punch? And if Williams isn't healthy before the end of this season, will Gase use Drake as a workhorse next season or will want to add another back to form a new one-two punch or perhaps even use a trio of backs?

Gase said recently that he preferred to use multiple backs rather than one guy. I wonder if Drake's recent performances will change his mind on that? I hope it does because if Drake can stay healthy and keep these kind of performances up, we'll have a top ten back on our hands.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:

For a fan that got to watch Marino for his whole career and watched as year after year we couldn't draft/find a good RB, it's weird they now seem to grow on trees for us.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:53 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

zatrex99 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

For a fan that got to watch Marino for his whole career and watched as year after year we couldn't draft/find a good RB, it's weird they now seem to grow on trees for us.

It was a different game then.. RB's were a premium position. As I'm sure you know. Sammy Smith!

I remember how the line would be blamed for that too.."They could only pass block" yet Marino would be sacked like 10 times while they were all in the pro bowl..Must have been the Isotonas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:02 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
I remember how the line would be blamed for that too.."They could only pass block" yet Marino would be sacked like 10 times while they were all in the pro bowl..Must have been the Isotonas.
Do you know anything at all about Dan Marino? His quick release, quick decision making, phenomenal peripheral vision?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

zatrex99 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Do you know anything at all about Dan Marino? His quick release, quick decision making, phenomenal peripheral vision?

And that has what to do with the line run blocking?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

:yay: So you figured out an OL can be good at pass blocking and bad at run blocking then and vice versa. Good for you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

zatrex99 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

:yay: So you figured out an OL can be good at pass blocking and bad at run blocking then and vice versa. Good for you!

And still make the pro bowl.....But since our qb's take such and awful pounding and our RB's can't even get past the line of scrimmage without breaking three tackles..Which are they good at again?
Not to blame the whole line mind you, it's those guards. Especially that Tunsil last year.
I just can't wait til the return of Tanny.....He is so mobile, it will be all good again :yay:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Drake has been playing very well. We say glimpses last year, and I am glad to see that he is now getting his reps. If he keeps playing like this, we are set for the next 5-6 years....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:19 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

The Fish Baron wrote:
Drake has been playing very well. We say glimpses last year, and I am glad to see that he is now getting his reps. If he keeps playing like this, we are set for the next 5-6 years....

Had to wonder why he wasn't getting the ball earlier this year Though.
Like they we're saving him for when they either burned out Ajayi or traded him.
Seems a little more pre planned now?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Great team. Great coach. Its coming together. Fire Tannenbaum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:57 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
Great team. Great coach. Its coming together. Fire Tannenbaum.

Come on man if the team is great and the coach is great then why would you change anything?

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]