View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Sean Smith has reportedly "lost a lot of the aggressiveness" 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Sean Smith has reportedly "lost a lot of the aggressiveness"
Jason Cole wrote:
CB Vontae Davis(notes) has looked terrific in camp this season and has the ability to be among the top 10 in the league very quickly. However, fellow CB Sean Smith(notes) has been wildly inconsistent. Smith appears to have lost a lot of the aggressiveness he showed last season after being a second-round pick. He also hasn’t been tackling very well his limited opportunities.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-road082010

RotoWorld wrote:
Smith has reportedly also struggled as a tackler. So promising as a rookie, it appears Smith didn't take his first full NFL offseason seriously. Unfortunately, the Dolphins don't have any better options to book end Vontae Davis.

www.rotoworld.com

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Sean Smith has reportedly "lost a lot of the aggressiveness"
WHAT?!?

First of all, what aggressiveness did he have a year ago? He didn't have any to lose. Second, Jason Cole, did you watch Smith against Tampa Bay, or are you just pulling this out of your arse? Smith looked a little lost in zone coverage on the TD he let up, however, he was MUCH more aggressive, at least I thought, than I had ever seen him, in coverage and tackling wise.

Man, this is why I try and refrain from reading Cole and Yahoo! sports in general. He has no idea what he's talking about and hates on the Dolphins consistently.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:27 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

There is no question that as the season went on, Smith regressed last season. Once he got burned a few times he crawled into a shell. Anyone remember the pouting on the sideline last season. Unfortunately for CB...you need a 2 second memory...Smith seems to let it get to him. He has never tackled well and that could be overlooked if his pass defense were on par with last preseason. Nolan Carroll or Jason/will Allen will be starting there soon. BTW...the guy who blogged Miami has no other options is flat out ignorant.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:24 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
First of all, what aggressiveness did he have a year ago? He didn't have any to lose.

Totally agree here. Sean Smith plays things safe, but he has good coverage skills. I think the feeling is that once he gains confidence he will be more aggressive. Also, if I remember correctly, Sparano has all ready tried to light a fire by having Jason Allen as the starter for a while at the beginning of camp.

Players are up and down throughout camp. Heck, they play twice a day, so, motivation may not always be at 100%. Everyone's not like Ricky. Jason Cole cannot see every practice as he used to do, so, he is only getting a snap shot here.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:07 am
Profile WWW

I posted before preseason began I thought his job is in jeopardy. He's done nothing to change my mind. I'd love to see Nolan Carroll or Will Allen in this spot.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't think Will Allen can do much with those crutches.....

1st i think this story is rubbish....I like Smith on our side myself and i haven't seen enough of Carroll to be calling him a starter.....

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:50 am

Big Dave wrote:
Jason Cole cannot see every practice as he used to do, so, he is only getting a snap shot here.

Wait, Cole used to write for the Dolphins?? Dayum...then what's up with all the hate for Miami.....constantly.....

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:56 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I am hoping to see Nolan Carroll against the opponent's first string offense as the pre-season goes on. I think he can be a starter sooner than anyone could have imagined.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Sean Smith has the best cover skills on the team, and has tremendously improved his tackling. He's got great ball skills as well. He was just a rookie last season...Madison and Surtain didn't even play as rookies, and they had great pressure on the QB their whole careers. Let Sean develop. Geez. The guy is going to be a stud for us.

On a side note, Smith was working at FS in a nickel package at practice....very interesting. Could be something to look out for.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Quote:
Smith was working at FS in a nickel package at practice

I've been waiting for this. Smith has range and size to play an outstanding centerfielder. He already have a hitter in Bell. Smith would make an outstanding complement.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:03 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
Smith was working at FS in a nickel package at practice

I've been waiting for this. Smith has range and size to play an outstanding centerfielder. He already have a hitter in Bell. Smith would make an outstanding complement.

I remember a few months before the draft when there was a question as to who would be the FS. I was the very first to say that Smith would be a good FS if Will Allen came back as the same player he is. I also agree that he plays safe but, I am not 100% sure that he isn't that way because he didn't have FS safety help over the top. Which in turn made him a little tentative when it came to the deep ball.

Madison, Surtain, even Buckley flourished because they had a FS that knew how to play.

Just my observation.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, for those who got to watch the game, how did Sean Smith do last night?

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think Smith is struggling with zone coverage. His biggest attribute is his size and when he's playing off of a receiver he loses that advantage. I would let him man up and blanket his receiver almost every snap.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]