View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Dennis Pitta, TE out of BYU 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Dennis Pitta, TE out of BYU
I was really impressed with him today in the East-West game. He has Dallas Clark written all over him, IMO.

I think he could be a dangerous WR/TE hybrid similar to a Dallas Clark. Right now he's a projected round 4 or 5 pick.

Goes about 6'5, 250, has way too much speed for a LB, but has good enough size to block out a DB. He put up great numbers as a Jr., and good numbers as a Sr., (although they did go down a bit)

Did you guys get a chance to see him play today? I was pretty impressed.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Dennis Pitta, TE out of BYU
Phins Rock wrote:
I was really impressed with him today in the East-West game. He has Dallas Clark written all over him, IMO.

:hithead:

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

After further review...I think Phins Rock might actually be on to something this time. Both were walk-ons, both had outstanding final years at their respective schools, and they have identical 40 times. Both can be flexed. A difference I see in Pitta is his height. I've seen him listed as 6'4" and 6'5"...that inch can make a difference. Both are more receivers than blockers, but I guess that's Pitta's only downfall.

What really helped Clark elevate though (other than Manning) is definitely the system. They run virtually the same thing as Iowa did when he came out...a form of spread, 3 wides, the TE and a running back. He was usually on the end of the line and helped in the zone blocking scheme. The Colts run the exact same thing. 3 wides, a TE and a running back and most of their out of that formation is zone blocking..stretch blocking. So if you're going to draft Pitta, you'd have to think you'd want to fit him in the same type of role.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Iowafin wrote:
After further review...I think Phins Rock might actually be on to something this time. Both were walk-ons, both had outstanding final years at their respective schools, and they have identical 40 times. Both can be flexed. A difference I see in Pitta is his height. I've seen him listed as 6'4" and 6'5"...that inch can make a difference. Both are more receivers than blockers, but I guess that's Pitta's only downfall.

What really helped Clark elevate though (other than Manning) is definitely the system. They run virtually the same thing as Iowa did when he came out...a form of spread, 3 wides, the TE and a running back. He was usually on the end of the line and helped in the zone blocking scheme. The Colts run the exact same thing. 3 wides, a TE and a running back and most of their out of that formation is zone blocking..stretch blocking. So if you're going to draft Pitta, you'd have to think you'd want to fit him in the same type of role.

If Pitta were to ever become a starter, he would definitely have to be developed as a blocker, but I think he does have the size to be able to do that. He can create a lot of mis-matches though. I like him.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

If Pitta were to ever become a starter, he would definitely have to be developed as a blocker, but I think he does have the size to be able to do that. He can create a lot of mis-matches though. I like him.

Dallas Clark didn't have to.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:11 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:

I think he could be a dangerous WR/TE hybrid similar to a Dallas Clark. Right now he's a projected round 4 or 5 pick.

Goes about 6'5, 250, has way too much speed for a LB, but has good enough size to block out a DB. He put up great numbers as a Jr., and good numbers as a Sr., (although they did go down a bit)

Did you guys get a chance to see him play today? I was pretty impressed.

4th or 5th round i would really be interested in him ,not sure he lasts that long
i have him going in 3rd

he had limited playing time in the game ,but according to a some of my friends who watched more of the game as me did well in the game and during all the practices

andrew quarless[te] seems to be a guy who interests me as well,according to the reports did well

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:43 am

Iowafin wrote:

Actually Clark has developed into a decent blocker. But Coach Sparano isn't going to have a TE on his roster who can't block...regardless of what he can do in the passing game.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:09 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I watched Pitta live this year many times. He is very strong, great hands, and has good football IQ. He is also a hard worker. I would definately take him in round 4 if he is still there. BYU players usually do a bit later than they should. Austin Collie would have been a GREAT fit for Miami last year and is a future number 1 receiver/pro bowler. If we had taken him rather than Pat White we would could be focusing just on D and perhaps a RB this year.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:01 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Actually Clark has developed into a decent blocker. But Coach Sparano isn't going to have a TE on his roster who can't block...regardless of what he can do in the passing game.

Not really, Clark's blocking isn't exactly a focal point of the Colts offense, especially considering their ranked 32nd in rush offense, and weren't much better last year.
Regardless, you said Pitta would have to become a better blocker if he were to ever make it as a starter. Are you saying with the Dolphins? Because that was exactly my point...if you're going to draft him, utilize him like the Colts do with Clark...don't force him into something he's not. Which would be what would happen if Miami were to draft him, which is why he won't get drafted by the Dolphins.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Not really, Clark's blocking isn't exactly a focal point of the Colts offense, especially considering their ranked 32nd in rush offense, and weren't much better last year.
Regardless, you said Pitta would have to become a better blocker if he were to ever make it as a starter. Are you saying with the Dolphins? Because that was exactly my point...if you're going to draft him, utilize him like the Colts do with Clark...don't force him into something he's not. Which would be what would happen if Miami were to draft him, which is why he won't get drafted by the Dolphins.

Right.

It sure would be nice to have a hybrid type of a TE like that though. A guy like that could be invaluable.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Well Clark suck as part of the run game. he belongs on a spread team like he is now. A lot of pick and FA get better with there situation they fall in , Not always ther skill. We are a power team we need a Heath Miller or tony gonzales tyoe that can do both

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I like Dennis Pitta a good bit, but the key for him is will he be able to develop as a inline blocker. We know coming out of the BYU system he more than understands the passing game.

He has the size and has the frame to put on some additional weight as well.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:33 am

You guys catch my boy Pitta today??

BEAST. 4.5 40, 27 reps (!!!), caught the ball real fluidly in the gontlet....I love this guy. If he's there in round 2 we have to consider him.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

BEAST. 4.5 40, 27 reps (!!!), caught the ball real fluidly in the gontlet....I love this guy. If he's there in round 2 we have to consider him.

I'm looking at the combine site, and I don't see Pitta running anywhere near a 4.5

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:09 pm

4.57 was the unofficial time.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
4.57 was the unofficial time.

Link?

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:30 pm

No link. I was watching live on the NFL Network.

I'll try and see if an official times has come out yet.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:08 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dorin Dickerson has been tearing up all the drills too. I like him a lot from a measurable stand point.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Like I said in another forum, he is too inconsistent with his hands. Plus, I don't know if he's a willing blocker. Pitta is, as well as Jimmy Graham from what Mayock has been saying.

I'm relaly becoming a fan of Graham.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:55 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Quote:
BYU TE Dennis Pitta ran an official forty time of 4.62 at the Scouting Combine Saturday.

He also had a strong, 34.5-inch vertical. Pitta, born in '85, is older than most prospects in this class after a two-year Mormon mission, but has vehemently answered lingering questions about his athleticism. The forty time is among the best by any of the tight ends. He may sneak into round two. Feb. 27 - 1:53 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 360&spln=1

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:00 pm
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Like I said in another forum, he is too inconsistent with his hands. Plus, I don't know if he's a willing blocker. Pitta is, as well as Jimmy Graham from what Mayock has been saying.

I'm relaly becoming a fan of Graham.
As with many tight ends/receivers in Wanny's system Dickerson wasn't given many opportunities. With Dickerson's size and speed he would most likely transition to receiver at the next level albeit undrafted or as a 7th round flyer.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks Hen.

4.62 is moving. I love Pitta, but I would not take him before round 3 because I do think there are several mid round guys who could be very good pass catchers at TE. This is a real deep class.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Went from 4.5 to 4.62

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Well I said 4.57......so a .05 differential is really that big.

The point is the guy can giddy-up.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure you said 4.5
Regardless, I think we'd all agree that the difference between a 4.35 40 and a 4.4 is pretty big

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:28 pm

I said 4.57 in my next post.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I said 4.57 in my next post.

Yeah...I realize that. So it went from 4.5 to 4.62
Just because 4.57 was in between doesn't mean it still didn't go from 4.5 to 4.62

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:22 pm

4.57 is 4.5.................?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
4.57 is 4.5.................?

What school of math properties did you go to?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:28 pm

To the school that qualified a 4.5 as anything that begins with "4.5".

4.57 begins with 4.5, therefore, it is a 4.5........

In any case, that's a faster time than Anquan Boldin and Jerry Rice ran. The kid can move.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
To the school that qualified a 4.5 as anything that begins with "4.5".

4.57 begins with 4.5, therefore, it is a 4.5........

In any case, that's a faster time than Anquan Boldin and Jerry Rice ran. The kid can move.

Ridiculous logic. There is a reason they put that hundredth place there...if 4.57 is the same as 4.5, why even bother specifying?
4.29 equals 4.2...what's the difference? Nothing according to you.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Correct.

They specify it further to better distance/compare the players.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Correct.

They specify it further to better distance/compare the players.

4.5 is not 4.57

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Lol. Whatever iowa.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]