View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 What are your top 5 keys to success this year? 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post What are your top 5 keys to success this year?
Mine are as follows:
1. Staying healthy - Miami is deep along the OL and at CB. They're painfully thin at NT, OLB and Safety. They'll need to stay healthy at those key positions to have any chance at the post-season.
2. Mike Nolan's defense - My sincere belief is that Nolan will put this defense in the top 15. If they go higher than top 10 You can almost write in a wildcard appearance. If they go all the way into the top 10 depending upon how players perform in several key positions, I think another division title could be Miami's.
3. QB play - With Marshall in the lineup there are no more excuses. The starter needs to play well. My head wants the younger Henne to show the world why he is the man. My gut is telling me that Pennington will make a serious run at getting his job back.
4. LB - Only 1 returning starter and a rookie on one side. Nolan has his work cut out for him. How this group performs out of the gate could be the difference in whether this team goes to the playoffs.
5. Safety - Right now, Miami has two guys that haven't gotten any notice from the media. The safety needs to be a playmaker not an average joe. My feeling here is Miami needs to seriously consider some older veteran talent at this position.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:40 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: What are your top 5 keys to success this year?
Staying healthy
The absence of a sophomore slump from Henne
Holding onto leads
Beating teams we should beat (see Bills last year)
Not giving up a plethora of big plays

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1) Avoiding injuries....split the carries and rotate the beef on the lines to make it so.

2) Put up 31+ points a game. With a healthy Ronnie and Ricky and the addition of Brandon Marshall, this should be achievable.

3) Come out of the gates quickly. That means start off the season with wins and work to get in the lead early in every game.
The Dolphins seem to struggle early in seasons...would love to see that change.

4) Don't give up huge chunk yardage on defense....the play of our safeties (whoever they might be) and the pass rush are key.

5) Killer instinct. When we are beating a team, keep the pedal down. Establish a winning and dominating attitude.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:19 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

I agree with most of everyones 5 here... I'll throw mine in.... just to do it lol

1. Injuries - Obvious reasons.
2. Chad Henne - Obvious reasons.
3. The entire defensive backfield
4. Pass Rush
5. DT play.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:36 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

1. Health
2. Starks
3. Henne
4. Misi/Wake
5. DB's

Frustrated...31 ppg? Do you realize the Saints were the only team to do that last season...Minny didn't even get to 30, GB didn't reach 29, and Indy was at 26. 31 ppg is A LOT to ask for. I'd say 26 is a good goal.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:43 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Interrior offensive line - Again
NT - Again, always, and forever
DB - Keep the play infront of you and let the pressure do it's thing
Turnovers - we need to create more of them
TE- They have to be offensive weapons and not skinny tackles.

I'm not that worried about injuries. Obviously if Dansby or Marshall went down that would hurt but we could survive. Even if Henne goes down I think Pennington could just as easily lead this team to the playoffs. Likewise, Ronnie, Ricky, and Cobbs are almost interchangeable. We have quality depth everywhere except OG/C, NT, DB, and NT again for good measure.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yep....I do mean what I say with the 31ppg mark. The running game should be awesome this year with a healthy Ronnie Brown (please God) and Ricky and no 8 and 9 in the box. Marshall is a scoring machine and Hartline and the tight ends should have a lot more room to roam this year. Adding Marshall was absolutely huge for this offense.....if Henne can be accurate and make the right decisions, then I see no reason why the offense can't light it up big time.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:23 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Gentlax13 wrote:
Turnovers - we need to create more of them

And have less of our own. If we put up the points our offense is capable of and have a turnover total at season's end like we did 2 seasons ago, we'll be in good shape.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

1. Healthy
2. Marshall (I really hope his change of scenery and his girl problems are really done with and he doesn't turn into a locker room cancer in a year or two.)
3. Defense, defense, defense. young guys need to step up and new guys as well.
4. The turnover game, less of our own and creating more.
5. Physicality, hit and hit hard.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

1. Stay healthy-

2) Stopping the run...That Starks video reminded me, "we have to stop the run up the middle." I don't think it's very encouraging.

3) Big plays...Can we stop them? And, can we make them?

4) Fast start...Be above .500 at the start of Nov.

5) "Be the Wolf"

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:16 pm
Profile YIM

"Interrior offensive line - Again" Interesting ... the positions I"m least concerned about because it appears we have 6 guys who can get it done.
Quote:
That Starks video reminded me

I didn't see it but I'd have to think with Dansby in the mix it should be better than late last season. My big concern with the running game was the smallish OLB's. Both Misi and Wake are great getting after the QB but how they hold up the edge on draw plays will be key.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:50 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
1. Health
2. Starks
3. Henne
4. Misi/Wake
5. DB's

Frustrated...31 ppg? Do you realize the Saints were the only team to do that last season...Minny didn't even get to 30, GB didn't reach 29, and Indy was at 26. 31 ppg is A LOT to ask for. I'd say 26 is a good goal.

I agree with this list, except I'd extend the Misi/Wake to just OLB's in general.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

1) Chad Henne -- Great teams have great quarterbacks. Henne doesn't need to throw 50 touchdowns, but his TD to INT ratio needs to be at least 2:1.
2) Start/Finish fast -- A brutal schedule to start means we need to be on top of our game. We had a chance to slip into the playoffs last year, but stumbled in December. A solid start combined with a scorching December should get us in the conversation.
3) Stay healthy -- We need luck to be on our side in this.
4) Pass rush -- A good pass rush is not only good for the defensive line, it will help our secondary and will help force turnovers. Having a good pass rush will have a ripple effect on the entire defense.
5) Homecooking -- We need to go 7-1 or 8-0 at home this year because our road schedule is brutal (MIN, GB, NYJ, NE, CIN, BAL all playoff teams from a year ago).

Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Health - this almost goes without saying but sometimes injuries run in packs. We don't have a lot of depth at many positions on this team and we cannot afford to have starters going down. An injury to Marshall, Henne, or Dansby would be devastating.
Henne - he must be better than last year. No room for a sophomore slump here, he must build upon last year's successes and fix some of his mistakes. Having Marshall will help, but he cannot continue to stare down receivers and hope to improve.
Safety - this is a position that is a huge question mark. I am a bit worried about the depth we have here.
Linebackers - while we look to be set on the inside, we have some huge question marks in the run game on the outside. We need some young guys to step up here.
Special Teams - we don't have a kick returner right now, and I wasn't overly impressed with Bess at the punt return position last year. Perhaps giving up Ginn was a bit presumptuous. I would much rather have Ginn on the roster than Turner at the moment; I hope Turner will prove me wrong though.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]