View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dolphins Wrap: Thursday practice summary 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Dolphins Wrap: Thursday practice summary
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... mmary.html

I’m not going to restate them, but to break it down: I’m sensing the coaches are trying to send out warning shots before Saturday’s 100 play scrimmage, which the players are excited about according to Jake Long….
Koa Misi deflected a Chad Henne pass, preventing the team from working on their screen plays during a period….
A couple of snaps later Jared Odrick picked off a Henne screen pass and would have returned it for a pick-six. Decent speed for a defensive lineman….
Rookie cornerback Reshad Jones picked off a pass intended for Ronnie Brown [some in the media think it was going to Brian Hartline] for what would have been a pick-six. I know you’re sensing a trend here.
Henne needs to work on those dump-off and screen passes. Can anyone say TOUCH?….
Patrick Turner made a nice catch on Sean Smith from Henne, continuing his respectable training camp. Truthfully speaking, I don’t remember it enough to describe the play though. But I did find it alarming that Smith was working with the second team, behind Jason Allen.
That’s right. Jason Allen was starting on Thursday afternoon and Smith was his backup. Clearly the coaches are sending Smith, who hasn’t been as sharp as last year’s training camp, a message.
He didn’t help his cause when Julius Pruitt, a practice squad member last season, beat Smith on a fade in the back corner of the endzone for what would have been a touchdown during the team’s red zone work.
I would take Smith’s demotion a little bit more seriously if it was rookie Nolan Carroll, and not Jason Allen, who replaced him.
Speaking of Carroll, I had my first conversation with him today and must admit I left ultra impressed. He’s an intelligent and articulate guy. He also told me he hadn’t returned a kick since his rookie season at Maryland, but the coaches convinced him he could do it considering he runs a 4.36 in the 40.
“I’m happy to do whatever it takes to make this team,” Carroll said….
The tight ends actually made an appearance today. They’re here everyday, but usually invisible. Anthony Fasano was wide open enough to catch what they call a rail along the left sidelines, and he scored a touchdown by running the final 10 yards. There was clearly a coverage breakdown. Not sure who was responsible, but Jones was the closest defender to Fasano, who went into motion, going from the right to left side of the line before the snap….
And finally, here’s something that should lift your spirits…. making you feel like a second-round pick wasn’t wasted in 2009. Pat White had a respectable practice.
The former West Virginia standout engineered two scoring drives during the little action he got in the team’s redzone session. White threw a touchdown on a fade to Roberto Wallace, and he drove the team down field, allowing the offense to rush for another score.
I’ve concluded White’s going to get the John Beck treatment from here on out. At this point I’ll only mention him when he has a good day because there’s no need to kick a man when he’s down.
Complaining about White is like complaining about the South Florida heat in August. It’s gonna be here till September, so get over it

Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:37 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Dolphins Wrap: Thursday practice summary
What's up with the rookies picking of Henne on screen pass drills...you know what's coming, let the offense get that stuff down.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:40 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I know it's training camp, but Henne is making me nervous. His INTs need to be a concern. We saw it last year especially later in games.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:42 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
What's up with the rookies picking of Henne on screen pass drills...you know what's coming, let the offense get that stuff down.

It's their job.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:26 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
Patrick Turner made a nice catch on Sean Smith from Henne, continuing his respectable training camp. Truthfully speaking, I don’t remember it enough to describe the play though. But I did find it alarming that Smith was working with the second team, behind Jason Allen.
That’s right. Jason Allen was starting on Thursday afternoon and Smith was his backup. Clearly the coaches are sending Smith, who hasn’t been as sharp as last year’s training camp, a message.
He didn’t help his cause when Julius Pruitt, a practice squad member last season, beat Smith on a fade in the back corner of the endzone for what would have been a touchdown during the team’s red zone work.
I would take Smith’s demotion a little bit more seriously if it was rookie Nolan Carroll, and not Jason Allen, who replaced him.

Smith has continually regressed since last August. I'm not sure he's the guy out there this September.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:46 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

It's their job.

In a non-live, not a game situation, reading the screen is easy to do. You want the defenders to rush the passer like in a game so the offense can get a feel for timing. Like stated in other threads, the defenses are always ahead of the offense at this point in the season.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]