View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Miami Dolphins training camp: Day 5 practice report 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Miami Dolphins training camp: Day 5 practice report
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 3286.story

-- Tony Sparano confirms A.J. Edds is out for the year with a torn ACL. Had shown "good promise" ..."Will bounce back from this."

-- Austin Spitler not expected to practice today. Still out with illness. Oglesby, Grice-Mullen still out as well.

-- Kory sheets is "an explosive guy," says Sparano. ... Needs to improve blocking. Sheets has "the ability to do some jobs" ... Maybe kickoff coverage as well as return.

-- Koa Misi"s footwork and hand placement are works in progress ... "Can get off blocks and get out of trouble," says Sparano.

-- Sparano on Brett Favre's latest retirement: "there were times it felt like 7 on 7" playing against him. "I'll believe it when I see it. All I know is we're going to Minnesota in Week 2," Sparano said smiling when asked if Favre would say retired.

-- "Channing Crowder's a pretty driven guy ... Smart ... Football guy ... Dansby will help him ... Call 'em storm chasers," says Sparano.

-- Dobbins shows good instincts in coverage. "Not afraid to pull the trigger," according to Sparano.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Miami Dolphins training camp: Day 5 practice report
Im really hoping that Kory Sheets makes this squad. If he can get his blocking assignments in order, I believe he can make some big plays for us. All I hear is about this kids explosive speed.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not that's it is a position of need this year, but with the R&R Express likely to leave town soon, it would be nice to have some power behind the throne...

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
Not that's it is a position of need this year, but with the R&R Express likely to leave town soon, it would be nice to have some power behind the throne...

Yes, but not only is Sheets not the answer in my opinion, but running backs are dime a dozen so it's not like you have to hoard what you have now for later.
Even if both RB and RW leave after this season, next year's draft is not slacking in the running back category:
Noel Devine, Evan Royster, Brandon Saine and my personal favorite; Derrick Locke.

That's just the seniors. Guys like Mark Ingram, Caleb King, Quizz Rodgers, and Ryan Williams could all enter the draft (if memory serves right anyway.)

While I'm thinking about it, I'd love to have Saine and Royster. They could probably be had in rounds 2-4. Suddenly Miami has another 1-2 punch, at very little expense.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:42 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Not a big fan of Saine. I don't think his running style for his size will cut it in the NFL. I like Royster; I think if you compliment him with another bruiser he can really be an effective tailback.

I know I'm not exactly being unique, but to me Williams and Ingram are the two best backs (potentially with Williams) and then everybody else falls way below them. Williams reminds me of DeAngelo Williams, or a younger Ricky...he's even got the same number and hair. Ingram is a Ronnie Brown type of runner; not as complete a RB, but the same type of runner; powerful through the hole and real quick at the 2nd level. He's also got decent open field speed.

But as far as Sheets, I think you keep him if he can contribute right now, and you cut him if he can't. Like iowa said, RB's are a dime a dozen, so, you shouldn't be keeping Sheets with the intention of making him your number 2 a year from now even if he can't contribute in 2010. Not worth it. At the RB spot you have to be very narrow minded and think of 2010, and that's it.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]