View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 I first became a Dolphins when ... 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post I first became a Dolphins when ...
Tell us about yourself.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: I first became a Dolphins when ...
I first became a dolphins fan when I was real young, I liked players then and I liked Joe Montana and Dan Marino. Joe retired leaving me routing for only one player when I was 8. I then hit that age where you start liking the whole team and not just a player so my dolphin fanhood was born. I have always lived in Indiana so I am surrounded by Colts fans, however in the 90s, it was the dolphins who dominated them year in and year out. Once the colts got Peyton, fans came out of everywhere (like with any team) but I have and will always remain loyal to my fins. (also when I was 7 or 8 wearing my Marino Jersey to a colts/dolphins game a drunk fan told me he could eat me and I thought he was serious haha so did not like them at all)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:16 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Born and raised in Fort Lauderdale, born and raised a Dolfan.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:27 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Moved to south florida when I was 3 (1983). It was a good time to begin being a dolphin fan. The Dolphimania stuff going on then was crazy. I was a small kid and my whole room was covered in those dolphimaniac stickers from Publix lol. Moved out of south florida in 2001 (a good time to go) when I joined up. Fan for life :)

Before Florida, we lived in Atlanta. So my older brother got the last laugh at the Falcons game last year.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:00 am
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

In 1971 I was 7 years old. Dad bought our first TV, a used black & white, because he was a big Cowboys fan and he wanted to watch the superbowl between Dallas and Miami that year. My older brother decided to root for the Cowboys with my Dad and is still a Cowboys fan to this day. Being the rebel that I am, I chose to root for the Dolphins. That day is one of my clearest memories as a child. Sitting on the couch with Dad explaining the game of football to my brother and I. I've been a diehard Dolphin fan ever since that day. Of course we lost that game but I got my revenge the next year. One of the worst days of my life growing up was when Czonka, Kick and Warfield defected to World Football League, I was crushed. I was 18 when we drafted Marino and I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to watch his career.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Born in Jupiter Florida. Was not a football fan at all was busy playing outside in the water with real dolphins to watch TV. Then my parents had a superbowl party in 73, it was pretty wild, had one guy break his arm in a arm wrestling match, I can still hear that sound. Then I watched the game and I was hooked. Been all over the world because of my Dads job and then joining the AF and I am always sporting my Dolphins gear. Moved back to south florida in 2001 and can now watch them full time. Bought a new 65in Plasma for this football season.....BTW Sailor came from Sailing beach cats with my now deceased brother. :jests:

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:45 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I became a Dolphins fan when my dad drilled the love for the Phins into my head. I was born up in Livingston, NJ, but moved down to Port St. Lucie when I was about 6. Dad was always sporting Phins gear... bright teal and orange was all I ever saw lol. I would always watch the game with him but never really understood it. Moved back up here to Jersey in 1998/1999 or so... began to get even more into the game. A lot of my family up here was really into it, then I met some friends who were also hardcore football fans (albeit Jets and Giants fans). Started getting into fantasy football as well and it just escalated from there.

Since then though I've always been a die hard Phins fan and cant imagine rooting for any other team.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:08 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I started loving the Phins when I was about 8-9 yrs old. My famliy and I were watching the Dolohins v Bills here in Buffalo, the bills were winning but miami came back in the end to win. Just the look on my fathers face plus my brothers they were all in shock at the fact that the bills lost another game. Plus with the fact that my father gave me a good whooping early that day it was a no brainer, he hatted the Dolphins cause they beat his team and I loved them for giving him a good whooping. lmao......but I did need that whooping I was bad that day lol. :stiffarm:

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

As a kid my Uncle was stationed at "Key West" (Navy)- Always brought back Miami Dolphins gear- Ironically, to be diffrent, he'd get my brother (twin) 49ers Stuff and that year they went to the SuperBowl (and lost). The was the last time I ever saw them at a Bowl Game- I was 9 .. Wasn't this supposed to be Happy?? lol Go Phins!!! Let's do it this year!

:pumpiron:

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:34 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

My story is very similar to TennFinFan13's.
I watched the Miami/Dallas SB in '71. In black and white.
I just fell in love with the team and Shula for some reason. Had never been interested in football before.
Watched every game of the perfect season, got my first jersey (Griese's) and turned into a fanatic.
My son was born Oct. of '72. So he and I watched the SB together ( we both had the flu). My husband kept me up-dated through out the game because I couldn't stay awake for all of it. I know I've said it before, but my son will tell you that's the only reason I remember his birth year.
THEN, I found out Don Shula and I were both born in Ohio on Jan. 4th. Karma? I think so. LOL
Loved this team with a passion ever since and have never given up on them. Some call me a homer, but I don't care.
Only got to see them in person for two scrimmage games in Atlanta, a charity basketball game in Atlanta (met Duper) and the best was my daughter took me to Atlanta for the season opener last year. We lost, but I was in heaven just seeing them in an actual game.
Ok, I've rambled enough. Just can't get enough Dolphins or talk enough Dolphins.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:07 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Born in 1984... My parents went to the Superbowl that year leaving me in Jersey with my aunt. Upon their return, My mother had gotten cold, and they had purchased a fleece throw blanket at the game with Miami insignia and striped orange and green. It became my security blanket as a kid, and still resides on my livingroom couch. My fiancee hates it because it is rather ugly, yet it is a memento. Been a dolphins fan all my life while living in jersey in a house of Giants fans. My father ran a sports memorabilia shop, and for christmas I always got some form of autographed item such as a dan marino helmet, signed framed photos, jerseys, signed hats, etc. Had the opportunity to go to the Jets/Dolphins NJ edition 15 of the last 16 years. And am planning relocation down to south Florida. While I grew up watching Dan Marino as a kid, Ricky will always be my favorite. I remember the day they announced the trade to for him... Ricky is the ONLY non Dolphin player I ever cheered for in the NFL, and watched during college when he broke the record, so the day we picked him up was also the day I was purchasing prom tickets. Instead of doing that, I went home and played an entire season of Madden after acquiring him from the saints (had to trade an entire draft to get him in Madden 02)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Well for my family it all started in 1969 with my dad and my uncle being fans. Then in 1988 when I was 5 months old I would watch them on tv from the crook of my dads arm, I guess you can say I was hooked from the get go.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:15 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I've been a Dolphins fan for as long as I can remember. They're my hometown team and, growing up, football in my parent's house meant watching either the Dolphins, Hurricanes, or Redskins (my parents are from VA). Marino's always been my favorite player so that made it even more natural to follow the Dolphins. One event that probably solidified it was the game against the Patriots in Miami where Marino threw 5 TD's to Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. That, to this day, is one of the best games I've ever been to.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:23 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Well you could say I'm a bit of a band wagon fan. Joined the wagon back in '72 tho. I was 6 and a Redskins fan in Hampton Va. During the Phins/Skins superbowl I was rooting for Washington and when they lost one of my friends convinced me that the Phins were the better team. The rest is history. I really became a die hard tho in '78. Since then I've shed a few tears ('82 superbowl loss, ironically to the skins and the '81 loss to the Chargers), but all in all the good times have vastly outweighed the bad. I hope to one day see them (in person) beat the Raiders...I've been to two Phins/Raiders games with the Phins loosing both ('84 and '86). One neat note on the '84 game, my dad and I went and that game is featured in a book titled "25 years of NFL History". There is a photo of Mke Haynes intercepting a Marino pass and in the stands you can see my dad and me. A special memory.
Well rambled long enough.
Go Phins!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Born and raised in Miami, and lived there till I was 26. Who else am I supposed to like?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think i was around 9 or 10 when i got a Dolphins jersey for Christmas from my parents neither whom were football fans (probably was on sale haha)

.....and the rest is history I guess?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:30 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Man, I started following the Dolphins when I was in elementary school during the championship years in 72 & 73. I was sporting Starter Gear type Miami Dolphin jacket before Starter blew up. The wool jackets with leather sleeves, darn that jacket was nice.

My brother was a Phins fans back then and we use to sport the jackets together, but something happened along the way and he is now is a Cowboy fan. Traitor...... :boo:

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Born and raised in Minnesota, I have never even set foot in Florida. But I became a Dolphin fan as a youngster, impersonating Dan Marino on the playground. My mom loved Marino, I was a big momma's boy, so I liked him too. My passion for the team grew from there. I am celebrating my 20th season as a fan this fall!

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

...when God shined his light around the Dolphin and placed on helmet on its head.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:04 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I can never remember not being a Dolphins fan. Born in the midwest, but moved here to the middle of Patriot country, 45 minutes from where 3 Super Bowl banners hang when I was 2 or 3. My dad is...at least was a Dolphins fan, so he got me into them. Probably the only reason I stayed true to the Dolphins this decade (even with my dad trying to convert me to a Patriots fan after their second Super Bowl when I was 10...traitor!), was Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor and Orande Gadsden. Those were my idols growing up, and in ZT's case still is. My first Dolphin memory is Marino's last game; a day that has haunted me since.

My brother is a Pats fan, and my dad is neutral, and my mom is more of a Pats fan, so, it makes for fun Sunday's at least twice a year, especially when we kick their tails. GO PHINS!!!

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:57 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Believe it or not I was a Baltimore Colts fan first. My dad was in 'Nam, so, we stayed with my grandmother and uncle who lived in Baltimore, Maryland. My uncle saw us turn the tv off when a football game came on , so, he felt the need to introduce us to Johnny Unitas and the rest of the Colts. Shula had just left that offseason to coach the Dolphins, and the Colts went on to win the Super Bowl It was a great year for me. During that year I learned to develop an intense hatred for the New York Jets as every Colts fan remembered losing to the Jets in the Super Bowl a couple years back. I also was introduced to the Dolphins since they were both in the AFC East division. The Dolphins spanked the Colts in the second meeting, and I can still remember my uncle's frustration and having to leave the room a couple of times. It didn't stop the Colts from beating the Cowboys in the Super Bowl though.

My dad came back from Vietnam in February and was stationed in Key West, Florida. Since the Dolphins games were on each week, my dad was really into them. He got me to watch them play and it wasn't long before I was both a Colts and Dolphins fan. We ended up meeting Larry Csonka and developed a great love for the Dolphins ... that I continue to have today despite moving to England, Germany, Illinois, and finally North Carolina due to being a military brat;)

During my first 5 years in watching the NFL, I saw 4 Super Bowls (Colts 1, Dolphins 3), but have seen very little since.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:53 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Re: I first became a Dolphins when ...
I first started watching NFL in Australia back in 83/84 when they first started to show 1 game per week in its entirity, including brief highlights and scores of all the other games at the end of the show. Being new to the game, it took me a short while to work out the rules and the concept of 3 teams within a team, but it was fascinating viewing (late at night when it was broadcast delayed). Thanks to Dan the Man, I instantly found myself taking a liking to the Dolphins exciting style of play. A hand full of friends and work colleagues also started getting into this newly discovered game, and we all followed different teams, as there was a Raider, Cowboy, Steeler, 49er and a Seahawk fan amongst us, as well as myself being the Dolphin fan. Over the years I still get up in the early hours of the morning over here when my Dolphins play. At first I used to be over the moon just to listen to an audio broadcast of the game over the net; then I was able to watch it on TV (on the few times we played SNF or MNF); and more recently thanks to the Phinfever chat room, via internet stream. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Aussie Rules football ... and the added advantage is that when AFL Season comes to an end in late September, the NFL Season has just begun ... so I practically have 2 football clubs to follow for over 10 months of each year .... My dream now is to one day see a live home game in Miami. Go Fins 2010 !!!
:runwiththeball:

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Born In Miami in 1966. Later moved to central Florida in 1979. Dolphin fan for life.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:15 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
I can never remember not being a Dolphins fan. Born in the midwest, but moved here to the middle of Patriot country, 45 minutes from where 3 Super Bowl banners hang when I was 2 or 3. My dad is...at least was a Dolphins fan, so he got me into them. Probably the only reason I stayed true to the Dolphins this decade (even with my dad trying to convert me to a Patriots fan after their second Super Bowl when I was 10...traitor!), was Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor and Orande Gadsden. Those were my idols growing up, and in ZT's case still is. My first Dolphin memory is Marino's last game; a day that has haunted me since.

My brother is a Pats fan, and my dad is neutral, and my mom is more of a Pats fan, so, it makes for fun Sunday's at least twice a year, especially when we kick their tails. GO PHINS!!!

Orande Gadson!!! i remember that catch he had cutting across the middle, line drive, completely caught it one handed in full sprint. Biggest hands in the NFL when he played!

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:18 am

Iceberg85 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Orande Gadson!!! i remember that catch he had cutting across the middle, line drive, completely caught it one handed in full sprint. Biggest hands in the NFL when he played!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

That catch against the Jets was sick, but to me that was the best catch he ever made ^^

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was born in 1972 and the rest is history!

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
Man, I started following the Dolphins when I was in elementary school during the championship years in 72 & 73. I was sporting Starter Gear type Miami Dolphin jacket before Starter blew up. The wool jackets with leather sleeves, darn that jacket was nice.

My brother was a Phins fans back then and we use to sport the jackets together, but something happened along the way and he is now is a Cowboy fan. Traitor...... :boo:

I know how you feel about the jacket. I had a beautiful one. A letter man type with the leather sleeves. Some jerk broke into the dry cleaners and stole it. Talk about being mad, no furious. The police looked, investigated etc. because it was a unique jacket. They caught the guy, but he said he didn't know what he did with it. Still grieve over that jacket.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:50 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I was born in India in 1967, came to the US in '71 in time to see SB VI against the Cowboys. My dad was a Cowboy fan because he went to the University of Dallas. I, of course, was not going to cheer for the same team so I cheered for the Dolphins.

I was inconsolable after the game, but my devotion to the Dolphins was cemented that day. And the following 2 years were spectacular because of the perfect season and 2 SB wins. After that, there was no way another team would take the place of the Dolphins.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I first became a Dolphins fan when I had a Phys Ed coach at my grade school (Our Lady Queen of Martyrs) in Ft Lauderdale that was a running back for the Dolphins. His name was Nick Giaquinto, he later was a third down back for the Redskins on one of their Super Bowl teams. If anyone remembers that name I will be impressed. :yay:

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:51 am
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

i first became a fan of football in general when i was about 3 watching the games with my grand daddy. i found all the bright uniforms fascinating. As time progressed, certain teams grew on me, one of which being the almighty 'phins, amongst others. Then one day i sat down and analyzed all 28 teams, (that should give an indication how long ago that was), and decided the 'phins were the team i liked the most. Everything from the bright and shiny uniforms to Dan the Man Marino's ability to perpetually pull the proverbial rabbit from the hat, to the legendary history,etc.,etc. enthused me greatly. I chose not to ride the raider or 49er bandwagons that were so prevalent at the time around these here parts (central california) and picked my own team and have been a die hard 'phin fan now for the past 19 years and lovin' it!

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:10 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

DolphinDan wrote:
I first became a Dolphins fan when I had a Phys Ed coach at my grade school (Our Lady Queen of Martyrs) in Ft Lauderdale that was a running back for the Dolphins. His name was Nick Giaquinto, he later was a third down back for the Redskins on one of their Super Bowl teams. If anyone remembers that name I will be impressed. :yay:

I actually do remember him. I used to get him mixed up with Tom Vigorito.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think I started one day when I was really young and I went to the aquarium in RI with my family. I brought back a post card of a dolphin from one of the exhibits there... As far as I can remember, that is the only correlation to the Fins that I can pull from. My dad was a big football fan, originally a Giants fan, then Patriots fan.... figures. I even had Tecmo Super Bowl from 91 which I play even to this day haha. (oh and as i'm typing this, i figured out I can play it online!!) perhaps one of the biggest moments was when marino went down with his achilles injury (off the top of my head, '93??)... at 8 years old, i literally cried. I've learned to loathe the patriots and everything involving them even though they are the local team. 90 % of the people around here are pathetic... when the patsies sucked, no one would go to their games, but as soon as they start winning, "oh i'm a patriots fan". I'm just sick of that B.S. I can't wait till they are the doormats of the league again...

wow that went off in a different direction, sorry about that.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:03 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I became fan when I asked my dad in 1990 (5 years of age) who had the same name as me.... so there you go... hehe

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:58 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I was born in Miami while my parents were grad students at UM. Married student housing was near the athletic complex (mark light stadium actually heated our apartment with its lights). I just always thought football was terribly important and guys like Michael Irvin were just regular adults. There was another guy who played in Miami whom I thought was a normal adult but wasn't in college. I was crestfallen to realize that my "friends" at UM might not (and never did) play for Miami when they "finished school" but that didn't keep me from rooting for Miami every step of the way. Had there been no Marino and no Shula I would still be a Dolphins fan.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I moved to the US as a teenager in 1983 and I took me a couple years to figure out why Americans liked this sport. 1985 Monday night football Phins vs the Chicago Bears. I became a fan of Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins that night. I am an unapologetic die hard phins fan up here in patriots country.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

My Dad's business colleague brought me a Dan Marino Jersey to me at a convention we were in at D.C. We were from Utah, and the Jersey made a lasting impression. I still remember the smell.

Oh, those were good days!

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

When I was a kid football was like a religion in my house, and growing up in Wisconsin, Packer football was king. However, Monday Night Football was a good way for me and my dad to bond after a day at school and his day at work. it was like an extended sunday night for us. It was right around the age of 6 when I wanted to join Pee Wee league, and it was that time when I witnessed the Dolphins for the first time on MNF. Marino looked awesome and I was hooked from that point on.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]