View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Andy Benoit’s top five WRs 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Andy Benoit’s top five WRs
CBS Sports wrote:

5. Brandon Marshall, Dolphins

4. Calvin Johnson, Lions

3. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals

2. Reggie Wayne, Colts

1. Andre Johnson, Texans

I wish we could do top 10 receivers – this position is flooded with talent. A lot of times, a receivers’ success depends on the system he’s in. For example, Miles Austin, with his fluidity and speed, produces like a top five receiver in Dallas’s catch-and-run offense. But could he succeed in a downfield “power-throwing” offense like Vincent Jackson does in San Diego? Probably not.

As you can see, I like receivers with freakish athleticism and size. These five guys can dominate in any system. Shuffle Fitzgerald, Wayne and Andre Johnson in any order you want – just don’t drop Wayne from the Top 3 and tell me it’s because he plays with Peyton Manning. Wayne might be themost fundamentally-sound player in the entire NFL.

Calvin Johnson hasn’t done anything yet, but that’s only because he’s stuck in Detroit. He’s at least 125 percent as gifted as anyone on this list.

I’m willing to have just about any discussion that pertains to the best receiver in the game – just as long as you don’t try to sell me Randy Moss. As a deep threat, Moss is the best ever. As an all-around receiver (route running, blocking, reading coverages, etc.), he’s average.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... i_Dolphins

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Andy Benoit’s top five WRs
Big Dave wrote:
CBS Sports wrote:

5. Brandon Marshall, Dolphins

4. Calvin Johnson, Lions

3. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals

2. Reggie Wayne, Colts

1. Andre Johnson, Texans

I wish we could do top 10 receivers – this position is flooded with talent. A lot of times, a receivers’ success depends on the system he’s in. For example, Miles Austin, with his fluidity and speed, produces like a top five receiver in Dallas’s catch-and-run offense. But could he succeed in a downfield “power-throwing” offense like Vincent Jackson does in San Diego? Probably not.

As you can see, I like receivers with freakish athleticism and size. These five guys can dominate in any system. Shuffle Fitzgerald, Wayne and Andre Johnson in any order you want – just don’t drop Wayne from the Top 3 and tell me it’s because he plays with Peyton Manning. Wayne might be themost fundamentally-sound player in the entire NFL.

Calvin Johnson hasn’t done anything yet, but that’s only because he’s stuck in Detroit. He’s at least 125 percent as gifted as anyone on this list.

I’m willing to have just about any discussion that pertains to the best receiver in the game – just as long as you don’t try to sell me Randy Moss. As a deep threat, Moss is the best ever. As an all-around receiver (route running, blocking, reading coverages, etc.), he’s average.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... i_Dolphins

Andre Johnson is the best WR in the NFL. Why does this guy give Calvin credit for playing in Detroit without giving Andre credit for playing in Houston? Calvin is not 125% as gifted as Andre. He's not even 75% of Andre.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:07 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Gentlax13 wrote:
Andre Johnson is the best WR in the NFL. Why does this guy give Calvin credit for playing in Detroit without giving Andre credit for playing in Houston? Calvin is not 125% as gifted as Andre. He's not even 75% of Andre.

I would say Calvin is every bit as talented as Andre, and maybe even MORE talented.
Lets take first 3 years in the league (the length that Calvin has been in the league), so we can compare them equally:

Andre Johnson=
rec-211
yards-2806
avg-13.3
long-54
td-12
games=45
games started=45

Calvin Johnson
rec-193
yards-3071
avg-15.9
long-96
td-21
games=45
games started=40

I know that stats don't always prove everything, but in the first three years that Calvin has been in the league, he seems to be A LOT more talented than Andre. Started less games than Andre, but has 9 more TD's, more yards and higher average. They have both been playing with bad QB's their first three years in the league, albeit that Stafford had his rookie year in Detroit last year.

Here are more measurable talents:
Andre Johnson:

Calvin Johnson:

Seems Calvin is even bigger, faster, and can jump higher than Andre as well.
Again, I know that stats and measurable physical characteristics don't define a person as a football player, but to say that Calvin isn't as gifted as Andre is just complete ignorance.

I get the Sunday Ticket, and when I am not watching the Phins play, I try to catch the Detroit games (mainly cause I'm a UGA fan and root for Stafford, as well as Moreno in Denver), and with what I have seen Calvin do is sometimes mind boggling.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:47 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Project86JLL13 wrote:
Gentlax13 wrote:

I would say Calvin is every bit as talented as Andre, and maybe even MORE talented.
Lets take first 3 years in the league (the length that Calvin has been in the league), so we can compare them equally:

Andre Johnson=
rec-211
yards-2806
avg-13.3
long-54
td-12
games=45
games started=45

Calvin Johnson
rec-193
yards-3071
avg-15.9
long-96
td-21
games=45
games started=40

I know that stats don't always prove everything, but in the first three years that Calvin has been in the league, he seems to be A LOT more talented than Andre. Started less games than Andre, but has 9 more TD's, more yards and higher average. They have both been playing with bad QB's their first three years in the league, albeit that Stafford had his rookie year in Detroit last year.

Here are more measurable talents:
Andre Johnson:

Calvin Johnson:

Seems Calvin is even bigger, faster, and can jump higher than Andre as well.
Again, I know that stats and measurable physical characteristics don't define a person as a football player, but to say that Calvin isn't as gifted as Andre is just complete ignorance.

I get the Sunday Ticket, and when I am not watching the Phins play, I try to catch the Detroit games (mainly cause I'm a UGA fan and root for Stafford, as well as Moreno in Denver), and with what I have seen Calvin do is sometimes mind boggling.

AJ has been doing it for a while. You are better off comparing Brandon Marshall to CJ. They've been in the league almost the same amount of time.

Calvin Johnson first 3 years
rec-193
yards-3071
avg-15.9
long-96
td-21 with 1 Rushing TD
games=45
games started=40

Brandon Marshall first 3 years
rec-228
yards-2899
avg-13.6
long-71
td-15 with 5 Rushing TD's
games-46
games started-32

Brandon Marshall BARELY saw any playing time in his first year and STILL put up comparable stats to Calvin Johnson. Better in some areas. Started 8 less games and had 2 TD's less total. More receptions and almost as many yards. With 8 less games started. Not to mention he was used SPARSELY as a started in only 1 game his first season. Now if I would have used the first 3 seasons that BM started. It wouldn't even be close. BM would have blown CJ out of the water.

So by your argument.. Brandon Marshall is every bit as good as CJ and AJ.. if not better.

IMO, AJ is the best WR is the league. Larry Fitzgerald is right behind him. Brandon Marshall in 3rd. CJ is somewhere around 5. If Marshall keeps playing how he's been playing. He could become the best WR in the league.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:29 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

compare the divisions that each have been playing in though.....

Andre Johnson has been up against the AFCS with Indy having 12 wins a year, and Tennessee being either really hot or really cold....
Calvin has been playing in the NFCN with very strong Green Bay and Minnesota, and when Urlacher is healthy a very strong Chi-town
BM well he assassinated SD and thats been his only competition in the AFCW
Reggie wayne we can leave out of it, because he's been doing his thing forever
Larry Fitz you can also probably leave out of this discussion as well, but then again, the NFCW has been pretty weak since the Seahawks fell apart

All that being said, I think Calvin (on a bad Lions team) has probably seen the stiffest Defenses throughout his stint than BM or Andre, if all their numbers through the first 3 years are comparable (give or take 150 yards and a TD or 2) well just remember, Chicagos had a fierce D meeting him 2 times a year, the Green Bay D has been getting spontaneously good, and Minnesota well, you cant run on the Williamses so you gotta throw it, so that puts a bullseye on his back.... In Calvin's defense, just look what hes been up against 6 times a year as opposed to BM getting freebies against KC and Oakland (yes Asmagouh is prob the best out there, but they usually man-on-man him against a number 2 and double team a number 1)..... and Andre has faced an above average secondary with Tennesse until last year, and a colts d that is well....its still mannings team, lets just say that, and jacsonvilles d hasnt been the same as it used to be in a long time...

I dunno, even out the playing field and see where they are all at, and I dont know. Maybe Calvin is better than what he appears..... Im not sold on Andre J though, yes he's shredded the Phins first hand, I just see him as a T.O. or how he used to be.... he "CAN" dominate a game, or go COMPLETELY unnoticed....

My reordering of the Top 5...
Fitz (Cant be stopped.... He's gonna make Leinart look like he may have actually won a Heisman)
Reggie Wayne (he'd be higher if it wasnt Peyton throwing it to him all these years)
Brandon Marshall (21 receptions in a game is absurd. Absolute force here, Possession guy, contact guy, phenom, the most complete on this list....give him a few more years and he'll be the best)
Calvin Johnson (if Detroit could actually get some other players around him, we'll see him shine when hes not TRIPLE teamed on 3rd and long)
Andre Johnson (If he doesnt dominate the first quarter, hes not gonna do much the rest of the game) check his stats, hes either a fantasy god, or a complete waste

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Smith anyone?

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:29 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

I would put Marshall ahead of Calvin Johnson because of his consistency and the fact Johnson is still very young and coming off a disappointing and injured year, and switch Wayne and Fitz. But I do agree that those 5 guys are the top 5.

I love Andre Johnson. I'm glad one of the "experts" finally put this guy number 1. To me, it's not even debatable; Johnson is number one, and everybody else is a couple notches below him.

But with that said I do think that Calvin Johnson has a chance to get to #2 on the rankings, if not number 1 very soon. The guy is an absolute freak of nature. He's Andre Johnson except bigger, stronger, faster and more agile. If he puts it together (which he started to do with that 1300 yard year 2 years ago), he's going to be a Hall of Famer one day.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:18 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

SkyHigh314 wrote:
compare the divisions that each have been playing in though.....

Andre Johnson has been up against the AFCS with Indy having 12 wins a year, and Tennessee being either really hot or really cold....
Calvin has been playing in the NFCN with very strong Green Bay and Minnesota, and when Urlacher is healthy a very strong Chi-town
BM well he assassinated SD and thats been his only competition in the AFCW
Reggie wayne we can leave out of it, because he's been doing his thing forever
Larry Fitz you can also probably leave out of this discussion as well, but then again, the NFCW has been pretty weak since the Seahawks fell apart

All that being said, I think Calvin (on a bad Lions team) has probably seen the stiffest Defenses throughout his stint than BM or Andre, if all their numbers through the first 3 years are comparable (give or take 150 yards and a TD or 2) well just remember, Chicagos had a fierce D meeting him 2 times a year, the Green Bay D has been getting spontaneously good, and Minnesota well, you cant run on the Williamses so you gotta throw it, so that puts a bullseye on his back.... In Calvin's defense, just look what hes been up against 6 times a year as opposed to BM getting freebies against KC and Oakland (yes Asmagouh is prob the best out there, but they usually man-on-man him against a number 2 and double team a number 1)..... and Andre has faced an above average secondary with Tennesse until last year, and a colts d that is well....its still mannings team, lets just say that, and jacsonvilles d hasnt been the same as it used to be in a long time...

I dunno, even out the playing field and see where they are all at, and I dont know. Maybe Calvin is better than what he appears..... Im not sold on Andre J though, yes he's shredded the Phins first hand, I just see him as a T.O. or how he used to be.... he "CAN" dominate a game, or go COMPLETELY unnoticed....

My reordering of the Top 5...
Fitz (Cant be stopped.... He's gonna make Leinart look like he may have actually won a Heisman)
Reggie Wayne (he'd be higher if it wasnt Peyton throwing it to him all these years)
Brandon Marshall (21 receptions in a game is absurd. Absolute force here, Possession guy, contact guy, phenom, the most complete on this list....give him a few more years and he'll be the best)
Calvin Johnson (if Detroit could actually get some other players around him, we'll see him shine when hes not TRIPLE teamed on 3rd and long)
Andre Johnson (If he doesnt dominate the first quarter, hes not gonna do much the rest of the game) check his stats, hes either a fantasy god, or a complete waste

CJ hasn't faced great pass D's at all. Those teams are constantly running up the score via the air. Look at GB and Minnesota.

AJ has faced the stiffest competition by far.

Competition doesn't really matter with these guys IMO. These are the type of guys who are going to do their thing.. no matter who they are playing. They are stars.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]