View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Henne will "lock on a receiver, force the ball" 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Henne will "lock on a receiver, force the ball"
This is true, but I've seen Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do the same thing. One thing those great quarterbacks have that Henne does not have yet is consistent accuracy and wide open receivers. I love how mentally tough he is. He doesn't follow a mistake with another one and he is not afraid to take a hit.

Quote:
One personnel director rates Henne as a ``solid NFL starter'' but doesn't project him to be a top-half-of-the-league starter. The other director said: ``He'll lock on a receiver, force the ball and trust his arm too much at times. Accuracy is erratic, but most of his weaknesses are correctable.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/07/1 ... start.html

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:55 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Henne will "lock on a receiver, force the ball"
I disagree with that. I thought he did that during the Pre Season and early on in the Regular Season, but I thought as the season went on he did a much better job of going through his progressions.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:37 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Young QB tend to do that, but I thought Henne got better with that as his playing time increased. Williamson bought up obvious stuff that all young QB do.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:59 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Everything I saw from Henne was positive. His patience in the pocket was remarkable, he never gets antsy feet and made some very heads up plays, especially for a first year starter. He made throws I haven't seen a Dolphin quarterback make since Marino.
Anybody that criticizes some of this guys attributes are either jealous or being knit picky.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:22 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Doesn't project him to be in the top half of the league? Um, I beg to differ. I certainly believe he can crack the top 16 qbs in the league.
I think he 'can be' (project), or is already, better than:
Cutler
Shaub
Hasselback
Orton
Edwards
Garrard
Cambell
Hill
McNabb
Cassell
Romo
Leinhardt
Sanchez
Young
Delhomme
Moore
Kolb
Bradford/Feeley

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:18 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phin wrote:
Doesn't project him to be in the top half of the league? Um, I beg to differ. I certainly believe he can crack the top 16 qbs in the league.
Cutler
Shaub
Hasselback
Orton
Edwards
Garrard
Cambell
Hill
McNabb
Cassell
Romo
Leinhardt
Sanchez
Young
Delhomme
Moore
Kolb
Bradford/Feeley

He's not better then some of those guys yet. But, I agree there is no reason to think he can't surpass them. He is better then a lot of them now. After only 1 year of play.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Out of that list I would say he is already as good as all of them, or better, except for Schaub, Hasselback, McNabb and Romo.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:56 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Interesting...... 18 QBs listed there, lets figure out who the other 13 would be

Brady
Manning
Manning
Brees
Favre
Stafford
Freeman
Rodgers
Rivers
Big Ben
Flacco
Palmer

And Im missing one

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1. Manning
Puts up numbers and wins games.
2. Brees
He's beaten just about every odd.
3. Roethlisberger
Nobody can tackle the guy, and he seems to be the go to guy when the game is on the line these days.
4. Schaub
On the rise, and can make every throw.
5. Rivers
One of the best deep throwers in the game.
6. Rodgers
Everything Favre had and more.
7. Brady
Benefits from a system and cheating, but to make the list credible I put him in the top 10.
8. Henne
Can make every throw and is very patient.
9. Flacco
Big cannon, great footwork.
10. McNabb
Still one of the best in the league with footwork. He really hasn't lost much.
11. Favre
He's only out of the top 10 because he's over 40.
12. Palmer
He's got the ability to do it all, but can he put it all together?
13. Stafford
He could jump into the top 10 in the next few years.
14. Cutler
He can be great when he wants to be, but his inconsistency leaves him the cold of Chicago.
15. Manning
His genes make me think he can be great, but again inconsistency leaves him in the cold of New York.
16. Ryan
Haven't seen much of him, but he's careful with the football and hands it off to Michael Turner.
17. Cassell
Product of a New England system, now trying to fit in the Kansas City system.
18. Romo
Give me those huge lineman, a great running game and a great defense and I'll put up good numbers in September too. He makes plays, but he's not a top flight quarterback.
19. Hasselbeck
His age has gotten to him.
20. Orton
Denver's system allows for good numbers, but take Orton out of the gun and he scares me.
21. Garrard
He can't carry a team, but he can he manage one pretty well.
22. Young
Running-good, winning-above average, throwing-below average.
23. Campbell
If it weren't for being drafted by Washington, he could be very good. Now he's in the death trap of Oakland.
24. Kolb
I haven't seen much of him. He could easily be much higher than this.
25. Sanchez
Didn't impress me last year. All those turnovers and backwards movements aren't great for quarterback play, but his soft touch and ability to move well can make him a pretty decent quarterback.
26. Moore
He won some games.
27. Freeman
Who?
28. Delhomme
Turnover machine.
29. Leinhart
Noodle armed trouble maker, but he's fairly accurate.
30. Smith
The 49ers should just abandon the quarterback position and run the wildcat on every down.
31. Edwards
I think he could be good, but behind swiss cheese for a line he looks awful and those bad habits will haunt him.
32. Bradford
Two shoulder surgeries and a smaller than average frame behind another swiss cheese offensive line make a nice recipe for failure, but he could also succeed because he's a rookie and at this point nobody really knows.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:41 pm

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Interesting...... 18 QBs listed there, lets figure out who the other 13 would be

Brady
Manning
Manning
Brees
Favre
Stafford
Freeman
Rodgers
Rivers
Big Ben
Flacco
Palmer

And Im missing one

You guys did this on purpose...

MATT RYAN!!!
:yay:

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:56 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
1. Manning
2. Brees
3. Roethlisberger
Nobody can tackle the guy, and he seems to be the go to guy when the game is on the line these days.
4. Schaub
5. Rivers
6. Rodgers
7. Brady
Benefits from a system and cheating, but to make the list credible I put him in the top 10.
8. Henne
9. Flacco
10. McNabb
11. Favre
12. Palmer
13. Stafford
14. Cutler
He can be great when he wants to be, but his inconsistency leaves him the cold of Chicago.
15. Manning
His genes make me think he can be great, but again inconsistency leaves him in the cold of New York.
16. Ryan
Haven't seen much of him, but he's careful with the football and hands it off to Michael Turner.
17. Cassell
18. Romo
Give me those huge lineman, a great running game and a great defense and I'll put up good numbers in September too. He makes plays, but he's not a top flight quarterback.
19. Hasselbeck
20. Orton
Denver's system allows for good numbers, but take Orton out of the gun and he scares me.
21. Garrard
22. Young
23. Campbell
If it weren't for being drafted by Washington, he could be very good. Now he's in the death trap of Oakland.
24. Kolb
25. Sanchez
Didn't impress me last year. All those turnovers and backwards movements aren't great for quarterback play, but his soft touch and ability to move well can make him a pretty decent quarterback.
26. Moore
He won some games.
27. Freeman
Who?
28. Delhomme
Turnover machine.
29. Leinhart
30. Smith
The 49ers should just abandon the quarterback position and run the wildcat on every down.
31. Edwards
I think he could be good, but behind swiss cheese for a line he looks awful and those bad habits will haunt him.
32. Bradford
Two shoulder surgeries and a smaller than average frame behind another swiss cheese offensive line make a nice recipe for failure, but he could also succeed because he's a rookie and at this point nobody really knows.

I dunno about 8.. Come on.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Iowafin wrote:
1. Manning
2. Brees
3. Roethlisberger
4. Schaub
5. Rivers
6. Rodgers
7. Brady
8. Henne
9. Flacco
10. McNabb
11. Favre
12. Palmer
13. Stafford
14. Cutler
15. Manning
16. Ryan
17. Cassell
18. Romo
19. Hasselbeck
20. Orton
21. Garrard
22. Young
23. Campbell
24. Kolb
25. Sanchez
26. Moore
He won some games.
27. Freeman
Who?
28. Delhomme
Turnover machine.
29. Leinhart
30. Smith
31. Edwards
32. Bradford

I don't know about 8, like Hypo said. I don't know how Stafford is above many of the names you put him above.

Overall a good list though that I can agree with for the most part. Unfortunately, I would have to put Favre in the top 5. I hate to do it as much as the next guy, but come on. Did you see the numbers he put up last season? Insane.

Also, you said "who" for Josh Freeman. That guy is going to be a stud man. If you can put some talent around him, he can really be something special.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
Cutler
Shaub
Hasselback
Orton
Edwards
Garrard
Cambell
Hill
McNabb
Cassell
Romo
Leinhardt
Sanchez
Young
Delhomme
Moore
Kolb
Bradford/Feeley

Forgot about Freeman, add him to this list.
There may be a couple of guys on here that he is not better than nor will he better than, but I listed 19 (including Freeman) starters in this league. This clearly demonstrates to me that he is and does project to be in the top half of the league.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:53 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Actually, I completely forgot about Ryan..... I actually forgot about the Falcons as a team when I was trying to think of the other QBs..... so that wasnt on purpose.

I think that last iist was pretty accurate.... THERE IS A BIG DROPOFF AFTER THE TOP 7. Hate to say it, but Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Schaub, and Roethlisburger are in a league all their own. Yes we all hate Brady, but he wins games, Yes Schaub hasnt been to a playoff game but look what he's been doing, as for the rest.... Brees, Manning, Roethlisberger have 4 SB rings, and 5 appearances between the three, while Rivers and Rodgers are very deserving of the opportunity.

As for 8 - 18, theres a blur. Each one of these QBs has attributes that the others dont have. This is relative to your own opinion.
Does Favre still have it?
McNabb: good because of Reid, or good because of him?
Flacco: benefit of a good team? Romo: has he finally arrived?
Palmer: well.... sometime soon you'll be elite?
Cutler: we'll see what year 2 brings...
Eli: well was it Burress?
Ryan: go away, your a punk.
Stafford: jury still out...
Cassell: product of NE, not that great......
I also think Vince Young should be in this mix, he wins games!

Ok so slots 8- 19 (including VY) can be interchangeable. Personally, I know Henne is better than Cassell, Ryan, Stafford and Cutler hands down. We'll see what McNabb and Favre have left. As for Palmer, Romo, Eli, Flacco, VY.... the potential is there, the numbers are inconsistent, AND Eli is the only one of this group with a ring... Flacco gone deep in the playoffs, otherwise Romo and Palmer only have 1 playoff win between the 2.

Where I see it, Henne COULD be as high as 8, I do not see him lower than 14. I project him at 10, a top 10 QB..... he wont have the numbers to be elite with a run based team, yet he has proven that if neccessary, he'll take the team on his shoulders. Without a recieving corps, he rallied a team down 14 to the mighty Patriots and won! Had he played the second half of the Pitt game, I think he woulda won. He is a winner, and has the attitude. I see Henne with Fiedler like numbers (mind you Fiedler had a GREAT win percentage, and his stats were not entirely pedestrian) but in actually production, Henne is clutch, while Fiedler was flukey. That being said, thats where the comparison ends, different style qbs, different style teams, and the only thing really in common between the two was Ricky Williams in the backfield.

Otherwise, Henne is #10, he is a TOP THIRD QB definately, not a bottom half qb.... hence the original statement is completely bogus. go drink the Jets koolaid, and watch that whole team get mortgaged once a new CBA gets put back in order......

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, the criticism of my list is all right, but Phins Rock: I do not agree with Favre's numbers last year putting him in the top 5. He had AP...teams will want to stop him before Favre. Yes, great numbers, but I guess I would take those other 10 quarterbacks on the Vikings...namely because Favre enjoys throwing games away.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:55 pm

After 13 or so starts I sure hope Henne lives up to thr hype & pressure.
But hey ... like I said .... find me a loss on the schedule.
So I guess im sipping the kool aid as well.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:38 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Big Dave wrote:
This is true, but I've seen Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do the same thing. One thing those great quarterbacks have that Henne does not have yet is consistent jordans accuracy and wide open receivers. I love how mentally tough he is. He doesn't follow a mistake with another one and he is not afraid to take a hit.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/07/1 ... start.html

Yea that's a great quality to have. Now only if he could get that consistency up!

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:03 am

Iowafin wrote:
Well, the criticism of my list is all right, but Phins Rock: I do not agree with Favre's numbers last year putting him in the top 5. He had AP...teams will want to stop him before Favre. Yes, great numbers, but I guess I would take those other 10 quarterbacks on the Vikings...namely because Favre enjoys throwing games away.

YDS CMP% TD INT RAT
4202 68.4 33 7 107.2

I realize the man had Peterson, but, he also turned Sidney Rice into a Pro Bowler, Visanthe Shiancoe into a very good TE...But I mean those numbers are ridiculous.

Peyton Manning won the MVP again last year, and many said it was his best season since 2004's record breaking one.

YDS CMP% TD INT RAT
4500 68.8 33 16 99.9

Stats don't lie, and I realize the differences in talent around him in terms of the run game, but Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning...For Favre to do what he did was amazing. Sorry, but I think he earned the respect of being considered an elite QB in the NFL, and I definitely think he should be on anybody's top 5 list.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
and I definitely think he should be on anybody's top 5 list.

Ok, yes that's a good argument. But do you think those 10 quarterbacks I had listed above him could put up the numbers he did with that team? I think they could, but my list isn't necessarily based on past numbers, but rather how I think they will do this coming year...so it's a list of speculation.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
and I definitely think he should be on anybody's top 5 list.

Ok, yes that's a good argument. But do you think those 10 quarterbacks I had listed above him could put up the numbers he did with that team? I think they could,

I think so. But that's not a fair argument either. That's like saying Kobe isn't really that good because he's always had a dominant big man to play with during his glory years. Could D-Wade do what Kobe has done in LA, if he had Pau, Bynum, Fisher, etc. etc.? Probably, but that's not fair to Kobe.

Again, I dislike Favre and what he has done the past few years as much as the next guy, and the media's love affair for him and all that. But what he did last year, and at his age, just amazing. There's no other word for it. The 49er game, the performance under the type of pressure he was under for the 2 GB games, taking them to the NFC Championship game and single handedly keeping them in that game...He had an amazing season and let's admit it, an amazing career. The guy had the best season of any QB last year, and I don't see any reason why he won't repeat that success in 2010.

Hate the guy, but you have to respect his game, especially when he's being smart with the football like he was in 2009.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I think so. But that's not a fair argument either. That's like saying Kobe isn't really that good because he's always had a dominant big man to play with during his glory years. Could D-Wade do what Kobe has done in LA, if he had Pau, Bynum, Fisher, etc. etc.? Probably, but that's not fair to Kobe.

It most certainly is a fair argument..
Could Wade have won a championship with those players? Maybe, but that's basketball. We're talking football...and one side of the ball. Put Favre back in New York, with the weather...take him out of the dome and you'll see an old man.
Against Chicago that Monday Night he played pretty well, but they ultimately lost. Was it his fault? No, AP fumbled it...but he threw away the NFC Championship game.

In my opinion, those 10 guys are listed above him because in equal opportunities, they are better than him right now. In the past? With Favre's numbers? No, they are not. But I'd take those 10 guys ahead of Favre for my team.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Ok , Farve might not be in the same class as Henne :ann0y:
but if he were the Dolphin QB since Marino he would be at #1 on this list.

Think with a clear mind , not a homer one.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Ok , Farve might not be in the same class as Henne :ann0y:
but if he were the Dolphin QB since Marino he would be at #1 on this list.

I absolutely hate Farve even if he donned a Dolphin jersey, to me he's Vinny Testaverde only with a team around him and his Ironman streak is just a fallacy as he should have been suspended for vicodin.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Alex13 wrote:

I absolutely hate Farve even if he donned a Dolphin jersey, to me he's Vinny Testaverde only with a team around him and his Ironman streak is just a fallacy as he should have been suspended for vicodin.[/quote]

I like that comparison...he really is Testaverde with a team around him. When he was younger he was more of Steve Young though...

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
Alex13 wrote:

I absolutely hate Farve even if he donned a Dolphin jersey, to me he's Vinny Testaverde only with a team around him and his Ironman streak is just a fallacy as he should have been suspended for vicodin.

I like that comparison...he really is Testaverde with a team around him. When he was younger he was more of Steve Young though...[/quote]Favre was like Testaverde even when he was a young player. He also benefited from playing in the NFC Central/North.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think for people to rate him above QB's as Romo and mcnabb already is ridicilous. Romo came from undrafted to his best season last year. Who knows where his roof is?

Now Henne has equal potential as some of the best QB's playing, though. But let's just wait and see a little more, imo

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

enJeppesen wrote:
I think for people to rate him above QB's as Romo and mcnabb already is ridicilous. Romo came from undrafted to his best season last year. Who knows where his roof is?

Now Henne has equal potential as some of the best QB's playing, though. But let's just wait and see a little more, imo

I believe most people are saying that he is better or 'projects' to be better than some of these guys. Obviously there is a lot of football left to be played before we will know for certain.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]