View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 am



Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 NBA Offseason and Free Agency 
Author Message
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Heat fans have something to be excited about this offseason, Riley has almost completely cleared out the roster and is gearing up to make some big moves. We have only 2 players under contract, Chalmers and Beasley, and rumor has it that we're looking to move Beasley to clear up even more space. This means we'll have room to sign Wade as well as two more big name free agents. Could you imagine having Wade, Lebron and Bosch all on the same team? Hell, put Wade with Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer and we'd have a great team.

Whats the news / rumors going around outside of Miami?

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:33 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 149
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
I'll be excited only if he makes some big moves. Wade wants to be down here so Riley just needs to complement him with Bosh or Stoudemire. However, if he's unable to bring the key pieces down here, all that cap clearing will have been pointless. As far as the rumor of a SoFla "Big 3" with Wade, LeBron and Bosh, I don't see it happening. It'd be awesome but I don't think it's all that likely. I'm hoping for Wade, Bosh/Stoudemire, and Joe Johnson. Chris Paul may also be available from what I've heard and, if he can stay healthy, he'd be an extremely nice addition.


Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:24 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Wade and Joe Johnson? Would you have Joe at the 3?

I have been saying since last summer, LeBron will go to Chicago. They'll give him Bosh as well. Staudamire will go to Miami to pair with Wade.


Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 149
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Phins Rock wrote:
Wade and Joe Johnson? Would you have Joe at the 3?

I have been saying since last summer, LeBron will go to Chicago. They'll give him Bosh as well. Staudamire will go to Miami to pair with Wade.


Wade can play the point. I mentioned Joe, for the most part, because I've read in multiple places that he may end up here. I definitely see LeBron going to Chicago, though. New York makes no sense for him if all he wants is to win a ring. I've seen reports stating Bosh will be waiting to hear where LeBron goes before making up his mind so it'd make you think he may be in Chicago as well.


Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21633
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Stephen A. Smith from Fox Sports is reporting that Lebron and Bosh are leaning towards Miami.

_________________
Image


Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:52 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 149
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Rich wrote:
Stephen A. Smith from Fox Sports is reporting that Lebron and Bosh are leaning towards Miami.


Here's an article about it:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/412614-lebron-wade-bosh-20102011-miami-heat

I really don't think it's going to happen but it would be amazing. There will be multiple championship banners hanging at the AAA at the end of the decade if this were to become a reality.


Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:50 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Egos aside, why wouldn't they want to play here?

_________________
Image


Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:00 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3840
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Even as a Knick fan I am not a big fan of this free agency. It almost seems like collusion on the players part while having teams like the Knicks & Heat just give away seasons because they were focusing on this free agency period. Now I know that Isiah just killed the Knicks with the contracts he gave out but lets face it , they had no intentions of winning games the last 2 seasons & that is just unacceptable. So now they sign Stoudamire whose first comment is that he will bring Anthony & Parker with him ... just kills whatever little integrity this league have left.
What would be nice is if these guys resigned with the teams that drafted them. Afterall they can make the most money that way , the team gets rewarded for taking the chance on them while the player gets a chance at carrying a team to a championship rather than being labeled as a guy who could not do it when it wasnt bought for him.
Then you have a slug like Pat Riley who wants to corner the market by dumping salaries only to sign Wade , Lebron & Bosh. That is not even the worst of it ... he will then fire Spoelstra to come back & coach (only if he can stack the team in his favor) because of his Phil Jackson envy. Just to take more credit.
Its no wonder why this league has sunk the way it has.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:13 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
I'm going to stick by my prediction of LeBron in Chicago.

I think he goes to the Bulls and Boozer along with D-Wade go with him.


Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:40 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
oldgreg07 wrote:

I really don't think it's going to happen but it would be amazing. There will be multiple championship banners hanging at the AAA at the end of the decade if this were to become a reality.


I wouldn't count on it. Chemistry is important to team sports. LA had Shaq, Kobe, the Mailman and the Glove and got beat by a bunch of blue collared Pistons in the Finals.
The Redskins have been known for signing big name after big name and they haven't seen the Super Bowl since the 80's.

Should these guys get together, who's gonna be the guy to take the last shot? You can't put egos aside, especially in the NBA. Dwyane Wade can't be paid less than Lebron and Lebron can't be paid less than Dwyane. Could it work? It could. Will it? Not likely.

I predict Lebron stays in Cleveland and they land Boozer and Rudy Gay. I thought Joe Johnson would be a great fit with Lebron, but I guess he's staying in Atlanta.

Atlanta gets a trade for Chris Bosh, Dwyane heads to Chicago along with Tyson Chandler and possibly Richard Jefferson.

Just my two cents.

_________________
Image


Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:46 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Well, we'll find out Thursday night at 9 p.m.

LOL. They have an hour long special for it, requested by LeBron. I would say he's full of himself, but the proceeds go to a charity, so, I think it's a good way to mask his ego. I'm anxious. I've been saying since last summer, Chicago...I'll stick to it.


Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 149
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Iowafin wrote:
oldgreg07 wrote:
Should these guys get together, who's gonna be the guy to take the last shot?


With those three on a team, how many games would actually come down to the last shot? In all seriousness, though, they played together on Team USA without an issue and if winning championships is as important to them as they say, I don't see why it couldn't work in Miami. Like I said before, though, I don't think it'll happen.

I'm just hoping the Heat can keep Wade and then bring Bosh along with him. If Bosh doesn't end up in Miami, he'll either go to Chicago or Houston via a sign & trade. He hasn't even met with Atlanta, afaik, so I don't think that's too strong of a possibility. As for Boozer going to Cleveland, is that even possible if they keep LeBron? I thought they only had enough money for 1 max contract free agent (Boozer isn't a max, but he's not far off).


Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
oldgreg07 wrote:
With those three on a team, how many games would actually come down to the last shot? In all seriousness, though, they played together on Team USA without an issue and if winning championships is as important to them as they say, I don't see why it couldn't work in Miami. Like I said before, though, I don't think it'll happen.


There's 82 games in the season, and a potential 28 in the playoffs. There's a lot of chances not only to get beat, but to play for the last shot. I'm talking about the end of quarters though, too. Who's the go to guy? Yeah, they played on the USA team, but 82 games in the NBA is far different than a few games for the US.
For the NBA, it's about status, money and a championship. For the USA, it's about the gold for your country. To be regarded as the best player will always be there for Wade and James, and even Bosh said he's tired of being and undersized center....the egos are there no matter how much they mask it.

_________________
Image


Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:10 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 823
Location: West Caldwell, NJ
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
I think he is going to end up in NY. Just a gut feeling.

_________________
Image


Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:59 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
We have 2 of 3, Bosh and Wade committed to the Heat, let's go Lebron!

I really believe that Lebron will be coming to Miami. This is why they all planned their contracts to end in the same year-to have a chance to play together. They're all good friends, Lebron stayed at Wade's house whenever he was in town to play the Heat. Wade and Bosh have been together all weekend and Bosh even tweeted the pic of him and wade and an empty chair with the qoute "Feels like someone is missing." All the signs point to the big 3 in Miami, but because its so unprecedented nobody wants to believe it.

_________________
Image


Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:13 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Why would they do that? Who does Miami have to surround these two guys? Who comes off the bench when they need a rest? If I'm LeBron I still go to Chicago with a guy like Boozer, and bring another guy like Kyle Korver with me.

LeBron, Wade and Bosh is a sick combo, but who are the other 2 on the starting roster, and who is coming off the bench?


Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:39 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
I'm sure some veterans would play for a minimal contract to be part of a dynasty and retire with a few rings. I'm pretty sure Haslem would do it, we can keep Chalmers for cheap for bench players along with a couple of the rookies we drafted.

_________________
Image


Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:42 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Wow. Wade and Bosh. Wow. If LJ signs. You may as well mark it down as at LEAST 2 Heat Championships in the next 5 years.

_________________
Image


Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
hypocritex wrote:
Wow. Wade and Bosh. Wow. If LJ signs. You may as well mark it down as at LEAST 2 Heat Championships in the next 5 years.


If Kobe only plays for 3 more years, then yes, possibly.
:ann0y:


Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:10 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 149
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Iowafin wrote:
oldgreg07 wrote:
With those three on a team, how many games would actually come down to the last shot? In all seriousness, though, they played together on Team USA without an issue and if winning championships is as important to them as they say, I don't see why it couldn't work in Miami. Like I said before, though, I don't think it'll happen.


There's 82 games in the season, and a potential 28 in the playoffs. There's a lot of chances not only to get beat, but to play for the last shot. I'm talking about the end of quarters though, too. Who's the go to guy? Yeah, they played on the USA team, but 82 games in the NBA is far different than a few games for the US.
For the NBA, it's about status, money and a championship. For the USA, it's about the gold for your country. To be regarded as the best player will always be there for Wade and James, and even Bosh said he's tired of being and undersized center....the egos are there no matter how much they mask it.


I'm not saying they won't lose games, every team does. I'm just saying I don't think they'd find themselves in a last shot situation often enough to worry about who takes it. Miami is Wade's team, and if LeBron's ego is as big as everyone assumes, he won't be wearing a Heat uniform next year. Even if it's not, I still don't think he'll be playing for the Heat.

Everyone pretends to know what these guys really want or are thinking, but the fact of the matter is that they're the only ones who know. The popular opinion may be that they wouldn't be willing to make sacrifices in order to allow a Super 3 to happen, but that's just speculation. Hell, it's looking like Bosh will be taking less money just to play down here because Toronto doesn't want to do a sign and trade with the Heat, according to ESPN, and that's the only way he'd be able to get a max deal. If they don't do it, he leaves $30 million on the table.

$30 million.

That sure doesn't make me think it's all about the money. I just hope Riley is able to bring in some good role players to fill out this roster. At the end of the day, it's been a darn good summer for Miami sports to this point.


Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:59 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3840
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
If Lebron comes to Miami how great would it be if they dont live up to the hype & implode. And if they do live up to it , who gets the credit ... they will be labeled a bought team.
Laker fans should be proud on how consistant thier franchise has been & pretty much doing it by making good trades & drafting well.
That formula now might be a thing of the past.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
FINesse wrote:
If Lebron comes to Miami how great would it be if they dont live up to the hype & implode. And if they do live up to it , who gets the credit ... they will be labeled a bought team.
Laker fans should be proud on how consistant thier franchise has been & pretty much doing it by making good trades & drafting well.
That formula now might be a thing of the past.


I don't think you can label a team 'bought' when there is a salary cap. Riley has been planning this for several years, and has stuck to his plan while other teams couldn't resist signing players for an immediate impact. If this happens it will only help to escalate Riley's legacy as one of the best figures in the NBA.

_________________
Image


Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:00 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
joeschmoe wrote:
FINesse wrote:
If Lebron comes to Miami how great would it be if they dont live up to the hype & implode. And if they do live up to it , who gets the credit ... they will be labeled a bought team.
Laker fans should be proud on how consistant thier franchise has been & pretty much doing it by making good trades & drafting well.
That formula now might be a thing of the past.


I don't think you can label a team 'bought' when there is a salary cap. Riley has been planning this for several years, and has stuck to his plan while other teams couldn't resist signing players for an immediate impact. If this happens it will only help to escalate Riley's legacy as one of the best figures in the NBA.


There is no salary cap in basketball. There is a maximum of how many "max players you can sign", which is 60% of your starting line up. There's no cap. As long as your signing guys to 1 mil a year, you can go as far over the "cap" as you want.

I'm with FINesse...Miami is buying themselves a championship. By next year they will have 10 new players on their 12 man roster, all acquired in FA.

The Lakers drafted Fish, Kobe, Bynum, Farmar, Sasha...Made a great trade for Pau and traded/developed Shannon Brown and Odom. Signed Artest in FA, but that's it. Not only do they have a complete veteran team, but they are also stacked with young talent (even though Farmar is good as gone).


Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:05 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21633
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Phins Rock wrote:
There is no salary cap in basketball.


Yes there is. It's $58 million.

It's called a soft cap....

_________________
Image


Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21633
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Funny to see a Boston Red Sox fan complaining about a team buying a championship...

_________________
Image


Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:49 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8956
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Rich wrote:
Funny to see a Boston Red Sox fan complaining about a team buying a championship...

:) No doubt!


Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:57 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8956
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
If Lebron signs with the Heat, that will be a powerful 3. They could sign a couple other players, maybe bring Shaq back to Miami, and voila, a great starting lineup. Couple problems though:
1. What kind of bench will there be?
2. Dream teams don't always work because of the chemistry. Boston recently has done it and it worked, but the 2004 Lakers did it and they nearly got swept out of the Finals.
The Heat are going to need to get some other key veterans in there to round out their depth.


Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:01 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Rich wrote:
Funny to see a Boston Red Sox fan complaining about a team buying a championship...


The Red Sox won their two championships through their great drafting and farm system.

Pedroia, Youk, V-Tek, Lester, Ellsbury, Ortiz (mine as well have been), Pap, Bard, Lowell (same as Ortiz), Bucholz....all these guys came up in our farm system.

Plus, the Yankees are the Yankees. If you want to compete with them in the AL East on a consistent basis, yes, you HAVE to spend money. The Rays have done what they have done and that's great, but it's been/will have been a 3 year thing and that's it. The Sox have built their team the right way; through their farm system and good trades at the deadline.


Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3840
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Phins Rock ... Im not a Laker fan but I am a huge Phil Jackson fan. For the reasons you stated be proud of them because the NBA for the most part has now changed.

Chatter on the radio today is that if Lebron signs he would become Miami's most beloved sports persona eclipsing Marino ... wonder how well that will go over with some people.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:09 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Phin wrote:
2. Dream teams don't always work because of the chemistry. Boston recently has done it and it worked, but the 2004 Lakers did it and they nearly got swept out of the Finals.


The difference is that Kobe (at the time), Payton and Shaq were all about ego. To this day I'm upset that Derek Fisher was not starting at the point for LA. I don't know why we went out and got Payton.

But Wade is the definition of a team player, and Bosh (from all indications) is more than fine being a 2nd or 3rd guy. LeBron, while he's getting criticism right now, is fine with being a facilitator and it seems he enjoys it more. I think it will work out fine.

The problem is that they offered Mike Miller a big time offer, and even if they traded Beasley they do not have the cap room for that. I'm a little surprised by this move.

This is why I say the NBA does not have a cap...because they can sign anybody they want as long as they agree to sign for the minimum (which is still a ridiculous amount).

If you get these 3 together, they will have no problems getting very good players to come off the bench, (ala Eddie House or Nate Robinson), and play for that kind of money, just like Boston did in 2007-2008.

There are no guarantees though, which is why if I'm him I'm going to Chicago.


Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21633
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Phins Rock wrote:
The Red Sox won their two championships through their great drafting and farm system.


Riiiiight.... no big money spent at all despite the fact they had the second highest payroll.

_________________
Image


Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21633
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Phins Rock wrote:
This is why I say the NBA does not have a cap...because they can sign anybody they want as long as they agree to sign for the minimum (which is still a ridiculous amount).


It's still a cap... but it's a soft cap.... so your statement is still incorrect.

Using that argument you can say football doesn't have a cap either because there are players on the roster that do not count against the cap.

_________________
Image


Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:22 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Rich wrote:
Using that argument you can say football doesn't have a cap either because there are players on the roster that do not count against the cap.


If you mean practice squad guys, they also don't play on gameday...

As for the Sox, like I said, in a division with the Yankees you need to spend money. However, most of their money is invested in players that they have developed through their farm system.


Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 149
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Phin wrote:
If Lebron signs with the Heat, that will be a powerful 3. They could sign a couple other players, maybe bring Shaq back to Miami, and voila, a great starting lineup. Couple problems though:
1. What kind of bench will there be?
2. Dream teams don't always work because of the chemistry. Boston recently has done it and it worked, but the 2004 Lakers did it and they nearly got swept out of the Finals.
The Heat are going to need to get some other key veterans in there to round out their depth.


I love Shaq but I hope they don't even entertain the idea of bringing him back. He'd only be healthy enough for half the games, if we're lucky, and he's way past his prime. I'm still surprised LBJ decided to make the Dream 3 a reality, but I'm definitely happy and I don't think they'll have any problem filling out the roster with some good role players.


Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Bought Championship. What? These are 3 of the best players in the league. The Heat is spending the Max they can against the cap.. sure. But, there is a cap. ANY other team can spend just as much.

These guys aren't taking the Max, they are sacrificing to play with each other. And you are talking about STARS taking less money to play with one another. Dwayne Wade most of all is such a classy guy to put aside his ego.. Taking less money. Bringing LJ to HIS team. Sharing the spotlight.

This is no more a bought team then any other team spending the max against the cap.

Baseball is where teams are bought.

_________________
Image


Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:55 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3840
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Wether it is bought or not it is already perceived that it is. Now that we know that these guys had this planned in June only furthers that argument. This Heat team no matter how many rings it wins will never be thought of as the greats like the Bulls , Lakers & Celtics.
This whole thing was a farce & that ESPN decision nonsense only tarnishes LBJ even more.
And this "party" that is going on at the arena right now .... the Heat just dont get it. The league is pissed & you are sticking it in their faces ... at least lay low for awhile. Typical Riley .... Phil Jackson envy!

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:22 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 572
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
Phins Rock wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
FINesse wrote:
If Lebron comes to Miami how great would it be if they dont live up to the hype & implode. And if they do live up to it , who gets the credit ... they will be labeled a bought team.
Laker fans should be proud on how consistant thier franchise has been & pretty much doing it by making good trades & drafting well.
That formula now might be a thing of the past.


I don't think you can label a team 'bought' when there is a salary cap. Riley has been planning this for several years, and has stuck to his plan while other teams couldn't resist signing players for an immediate impact. If this happens it will only help to escalate Riley's legacy as one of the best figures in the NBA.


There is no salary cap in basketball. There is a maximum of how many "max players you can sign", which is 60% of your starting line up. There's no cap. As long as your signing guys to 1 mil a year, you can go as far over the "cap" as you want.

I'm with FINesse...Miami is buying themselves a championship. By next year they will have 10 new players on their 12 man roster, all acquired in FA.

The Lakers drafted Fish, Kobe, Bynum, Farmar, Sasha...Made a great trade for Pau and traded/developed Shannon Brown and Odom. Signed Artest in FA, but that's it. Not only do they have a complete veteran team, but they are also stacked with young talent (even though Farmar is good as gone).
Correction the Lakers traded for Kobe, the Hornets drafted him.

_________________
Image
Image


Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
I still don't get whats wrong with guys wanting to win a Championship and wanting to be where they can win it. We are talking about 3 of the best players in the league. If anyone has earned it. It's them.

_________________
Image


Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:48 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
People just want to hate on this because they know we'll dominate the NBA. These guys are being very unselfish, especially Wade. He invited 2 other superstars to his team, and agreed to take less money than those 2 to do so. Now he's taking even LESS money so that we can resign Haslem. What we are seeing is truly remarkable and if you want to hate and be negative, I feel sorry for you.

_________________
Image


Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:56 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3840
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: NBA Offseason and Free Agency
You are splitting hairs when you say less money. When you get into the 100 million dollar area does a little less matter? Plus the no state income tax will justify the difference & this is before any endorsements ... I can see the 3 of them endorsing extenze like Jimmy Johnson!!

Joe ... if you dominate the NBA is this the way you really want to do it?? I know Pat Riley does but his morals have sunk to new levels I thought I would never see after the way he got the voters duped into building the new arena.
This was collusion at its highest level as these guys decided rings were the utmost of importance. They met in June & planed this. I can only hope South beach corrupts these guys. After all it seems Lebron is more in love with the fallacy of South beach than the Heat.
Im glad Wade is staying ... his kids will be better off than to have him close by in Chicago.
Lebron tarnished his image with the whole espn thing & Bosh is the puppet.
Sure Championships are nice but I will take mine earned & not bought.
Even as a yankee fam the sweetest championships were those won in the late 70's with home grown talent , not the ones with the mega priced free agents.
And if you are a Marlins fan the 2nd championship is sweeter for that same reason because the first one was bought.
In the end it appears they are taking less money but in reality the money they earn will be far more & they know that .... & then to have that party at the arena to throw it in the other teams face is just the South Florida way I guess. Hey it earned them keys to the slum.
You say "class" look at marino ... never complained about the talent around him or even hinted at not resigning ... I would wonder if LBJ even knows who he is.
Welcome to South Beach Lebron .... now when you throw that white powder up in the air the whole lower level will rush the court with straws already in their noses.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:59 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.