View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ricky Doesn't See A Problem With Ross's Comments 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Ricky Doesn't See A Problem With Ross's Comments
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5264858
Quote:
DAVIE, Fla. -- Ricky Williams can't understand why bold comments made by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross over the weekend have created such a stir.

Ross predicted the Dolphins would play in the Super Bowl and suggested Chad Henne could go down as the greatest quarterback in team history, a lofty notion considering Dan Marino and Bob Griese played for them.

"If you don't approach the season thinking that, then you shouldn't be playing football," Williams told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "The reason he said that is he probably heard Coach [Tony] Sparano say it, and that takes a lot of balls for a head coach to say it. He raised the bar, and it's our job to reach it."

Henne enters his third pro season, his first as the starting quarterback. He took over as the starter when Chad Pennington suffered a career-threatening shoulder injury in Week 3 last season. He has made only 13 career starts. He threw 12 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions on a run-oriented team.

Williams shrugged at the idea that comparing Henne to all-time greats was unfair.

"Who would Chad Henne be if he said 'I want to be the second-best quarterback in Miami Dolphins history?'" said Williams, who rushed for 1,121 yards and 11 touchdowns last year. "I don't want a quarterback like that on my team. I think you set the bar and you work hard.

"When I went to Texas on my recruiting trip, I walked into the T-Room, where they have all the pictures and the trophies, and I saw Earl Campbell's Heisman Trophy. At the time, I just said 'Wow, I'd like to put my trophy right next to it.' I didn't mean anything by it. It just touched me and thought it would be cool to have that happen," Williams said.

"Through my whole college career, I always had that in the corner of my mind, and I think it motivated me, pushed me, kept me out of trouble and eventually it happened. If you set the bar and are serious about it, that's when great things happen."

Tim Graham covers the AFC East for ESPN.com.

I like what Ricky has to say here, I think it's a great perspective on this whole thing.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:21 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Ricky Doesn't See A Problem With Ross's Comments
The article about Ross getting rid of Sparano and company really had me baffled lol. How can someone turn such a simple comment into such idiotic dribble??

Anywho, back to this topic, I like all the comments as well. I know a lot of fans like to stay under the radar, and I think we still will be despite all the commentary, but I still like the confidence they're instilling in this locker room. That's what its all about. The confidence to go out there and know you can beat any single team you face!

I'm just as optimistic as the next fan on this board, if not moreso, and I cant wait for this football season to start so we can pull off a 12 win season and shut up all the doubters! Let's do it baby!!!

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think the media made too much out of Rex Ryan's comments last year as well. So the guy boasted over his team, at least he had confidence in his players. As much as I think Ryan is a loudmouth, I don't think I can fault him for being hopeful for his team.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ricky Williams wrote:
"...and I think it motivated me, pushed me, kept me out of trouble and eventually it happened."

Kept you out of trouble you say? Kept you away from say, recreational drugs? Kept you away from being suspended for any sort of violation?

I love Ricky though. Just found that bit funny.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:38 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Quote:
"Who would Chad Henne be if he said 'I want to be the second-best quarterback in Miami Dolphins history?'" said Williams, who rushed for 1,121 yards and 11 touchdowns last year. "I don't want a quarterback like that on my team. I think you set the bar and you work hard.

:grin:

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

i agree with ricky. You don't play at this level and expect to be second. You work hard and develop your game. But there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. I think Ross needs to find that line.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
Ricky Williams wrote:
"...and I think it motivated me, pushed me, kept me out of trouble and eventually it happened."

Kept you out of trouble you say? Kept you away from say, recreational drugs? Kept you away from being suspended for any sort of violation?

Go read the quote again, he was referring to his time at Texas.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Ricky Williams wrote:

Go read the quote again, he was referring to his time at Texas.

I'm perfectly aware of what he was referring to...and I'm also perfectly aware that he was smoking marijuana in college.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
I'm perfectly aware of what he was referring to...and I'm also perfectly aware that he was smoking marijuana in college.

Yes, but he didn't get in trouble for it :)

I totally agree with Ricky here. And if you read what Ross said, he basically said he believed these things are possible.

Difficult? Extremely! Possible? Yes.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]