View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 OT:Jackson, McNeill to skip 2010? 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post OT:Jackson, McNeill to skip 2010?
As San Diego Chargers WR Malcolm Floyd finally broke rank and signed his RFA tender, we wondered if the rest of the "Big Four" would do the same. Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune opined during a mailbag column that LB Shawne Merriman is unlikely to hold out -- after all, he can't show off his improvement to other teams if he's not playing -- but as for the other two, WR Vincent Jackson and OT Marcus McNeill, it's not so clear right now.

We know that the Chargers plan on reducing the one-year offers for Jackson and McNeill to 110 percent of their 2009 salary if the players don't sign by next Tuesday's deadline. Sources familiar with the players' thinking have told Acee that Jackson and McNeill are prepared to sit out part of, or even the entirety of, the 2010 season if that happens. Yikes.

As we've seen in the past, Chargers GM A.J. Smith is usually not the type to cave, so this could get quite ugly.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features ... e=20100608

How is this different than Otagwe? Could other teams sign these guys if they do not sign their tenures? Anyone that knows how this work help me out, but if anyone can sign them VJ and B marsh on same team would probably make me jump on my bed like a 5 year old.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: OT:Jackson, McNeill to skip 2010?
One way that it's different is that the Rams cut Otagwe. The Chargers still own the rights to VJack. Secondly, there's no way we can pay to have both those guys on the same team IMHO.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:56 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

All these players who are not happy with their contracts & are threatining to hold out & not play .... arent they under a contract that they agreed to sign?? I just think its out of hand already especially in these times ... players who are paid handsomely & on their way to huge paydays once their conracts expire threaten to basically quit. At what point do even we as fans step up & call these guys out even if it means winning less games?
Am I wrong about this?

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:11 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

FINesse wrote:
All these players who are not happy with their contracts & are threatining to hold out & not play .... arent they under a contract that they agreed to sign?? I just think its out of hand already especially in these times ... players who are paid handsomely & on their way to huge paydays once their conracts expire threaten to basically quit. At what point do even we as fans step up & call these guys out even if it means winning less games?
Am I wrong about this?

I agree 100%... and I don't care for all the people who say, "they're just trying to get paid"

These guys make 10x more than the average American right out of the gate, even with the league minimum, so no I don't agree with the "trying to get paid" aspect. They get paid plenty, and they agreed to these contracts... so play it out and "get paid" when its done.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:28 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

When ever I hear a player :cry: about how they want to get paid it kills me. They do get paid and very well at that. Let them have to work in the real world for a year gettiing paid what us fans make, bet there attuide will change very fast. How many of us out there would love to work for 3 years then go in and say, Hey if you don't pay me what other ppl say I'm worth then I will sit out of work this year. How far do you think we would get before they fired us......What these guys need to understand is they are playing a game, and yes they are playing it at a high level but it's not like they are really under paid like so many of us out there.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:53 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

IamPZ wrote:

These guys make 10x more than the average American right out of the gate

They also work 100x harder than the average American. These players bring in the big bucks, they make the NFL the billion dollar empire that it is, and I believe that they deserve their fair cut. When I see a guy work his butt off and prove that he is better than another player who's getting paid more, I think he should be compensated. It's the owners who are holding the fans hostage, not the players.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:53 am

joeschmoe wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

These guys make 10x more than the average American right out of the gate

They also work 100x harder than the average American. These players bring in the big bucks, they make the NFL the billion dollar empire that it is, and I believe that they deserve their fair cut. When I see a guy work his arse off and prove that he is better than another player who's getting paid more, I think he should be compensated. It's the owners who are holding the fans hostage, not the players.

That's complete speculation.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:57 am

I think I worked harder than Pat White did last year.

:)

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]