View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Ireland: I feel great where we're at 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Ireland: I feel great where we're at
Quote:
Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland speaks to the media infrequently but assessed his roster for us at a team charity event on Friday:

• ``I feel great where we're at. Tony Sparano feels good, Bill Parcells as well. Across the board offensively, we are going to be better. The acquisition of Brandon Marshall. Chad Henne and Brian Hartline have another year under their belt. Greg Camarillo's healthy. Ronnie Brown and Patrick Cobbs will be healthy, Ricky Williams is back. We've got young running backs that show promise [Lex Hilliard, Kory Sheets].

``Defensively, we've gotten more athletic at linebacker -- that was a key point for us. We're young at outside linebacker but we've got some talent there. Those guys are going to have to grow up fast.'' The inside linebackers have ``speed, range, the ability to match up athletically . . .

Does Miami have enough pass-rushing? ``We'll have to see. We have a new scheme. I'm still learning how players are going to be utilized. I've got confidence in Mike Nolan and Tony to create opportunities for guys to get a pass rush.''

• Miami hasn't decided whether to keep four quarterbacks. ``That's something we're still looking into.'' Any thought to trying Pat White at another position? ``Not right now.''

• Was sticking with these tight ends a result of not being able to solve everything this off-season or faith that Anthony Fasano will develop? ``Probably both. We drafted him in Dallas -- we obviously like him.'' Marshall's presence could help Fasano in the passing game; ``That's the hope,'' Ireland said.

• He likes the adjusted guard mix. ``We were looking to upgrade, get bigger, more physical, more powerful at the line of scrimmage. That's the mentality of our head coach. We tried to fix that for him. Donald Thomas is going to be better. Richie Incognito has experience.'' With those two, John Jerry, Cory Procter and guard/tackle Nate Garner, ``we've got depth there, which we haven't had. Nate is kind of our tool -- he can fix everything. He fixed everything last year.''

• ``There's no doubt'' Vontae Davis and Sean Smith ``are going to be better. There were some plays given up at both of those guys. They're more mature. There's going to be nice competition -- Will Allen is getting closer to full speed. I don't think he's quite there yet.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/05/1 ... z0q6J2flBy

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Ireland: I feel great where we're at
I don't know how I feel about us keeping four quarterbacks. To me that sounds like Henne would be the starter, Pennington the backup/clipboard holder, Thigpen the #3/future backup to Henne, and White the Pistol Package guy/head injury waiting to happen.
Honestly, we need to cut/trade White this year before we can't get anything for him. White was brought in to be a gimmick quarterback, and he's on the brink of being a failure at that. He needs to sit on someone's bench for a long time and develop and I don't think he has that luxury in Miami. There is simply too much quarterback competition for him to remain on this team. He's our #4 in my opinion and we should try to trade him before the season starts.
The only way I see White staying on the team is if we cut/trade Pennington, or we cut/trade Thigpen, neither of which I want to see.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:39 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Ireland: I feel great where we're at
I think they will wait till preseason and see what P.White can and can't do. Thats when they will see what they can get for him....IMO

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]