View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Ross says Henne can be greatest QB in franchise history 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ross says Henne can be greatest QB in franchise history
Quote:
If Chad Henne wasn't feeling any pressure before, well, he just might now.

Speaking at a local high school in Miami Beach on Saturday, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross predicted his team would be in Super Bowl XLV and feels his starting quarterback will be a big reason why.

For comparison's sake

Chad Henne has a long way to go before being mentioned with Dan Marino, but that didn't stop Dolphins owner Stephen Ross. Below are the two quarterbacks' stats in their first year as a starter:

Chad Henne
Games/Starts: 14/13
Passer rating: 75.2
Comp. pct.: 60.8
Yards/attempt: 6.4
TDs/INTs: 12/14

Dan Marino
Games/Starts: 11/9
Passer rating: 96.0
Comp. pct.: 58.4
Yards/attempt: 7.5
TDs/INTs: 20/6

Ross, who went to Michigan, said that Henne has the potential to be the greatest quarterback in franchise history, according to the Palm Beach Post.

Better than even Dan Marino.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:09 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Ross says Henne can be greatest QB in franchise history
that would be awesome!

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Haha...I don't know about that, but certainly he will be very good.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:00 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Geeezzzz, talk about counting your chickens before they hatch... I'm just as hopeful, but staying on the realistic side! I'm thinking about picking up a Henne jersey, I'm tired of waiting on Marshalls #!!

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:50 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

i want some of the kool-aid he's been drinkin'

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:09 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Ross is a PT Barnum.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Aren't such comments a bit blasphemous in terms of Dolphins antiquity? Better wait till Henne has achieved something before comparing him to such epic legends as Dan Marino

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:10 pm

He will not be as good as Marino. Period. That I can say with 100% certainty.

However, I do think that he has a chance to be the 2nd best Dolphin QB in our history. The problem is that Bob Griese will always be associated with an undefeated season (even though he wasn't the QB for most of it), and he won two Super Bowls, something that in today's day and age is very hard to do.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:52 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Henne has his whole career ahead of him so it is possible. He has not had as good of a start as number 13, but then again no one has ever put up stats like that in their first two years in the league. If Henne wins a super bowl for the Dolphins, then I could care less about all of this legacy and history talk.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

So you can see into the future? Regardless, I'm keeping this in my file for things to rub in your face when the opposite happens.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:30 am

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

So you can see into the future? Regardless, I'm keeping this in my file for things to rub in your face when the opposite happens.

Keep it on file. Fine. Lol.

Come on now...Marino was the greatest of all time and we all know that. I think the only passer that compares is Peyton Manning.

I love Henne, and while I think he'll be playing in plenty of Playoff Games and Pro Bowls, (and hopefully a couple of games in February), can we really say that he has a chance to become as good a QB as the man who had 70 TD passes, 7,000+ yards, 535 completions, 2 Pro Bowl and All Pro's, 2 playoff appearances and a Super Bowl appearance in the same stretch of time that Henne has been in the league for, thus far?

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Come on now...

I hate it when you say that, as if what anyone says is just ludacris, when you're the one that makes some of the most outrageous comments. To say you're 100% certain that Henne won't be as good as Marino could be valid, and I'm just saying that he could. Will he? It's hard to tell.
I think his numbers could be as good, simply because the rules are skewed to allow for that. I.e Drew Brees and 5k yards, Peyton and 4k yards just about every season and twice the regular season TD record has dropped. Henne has Marshall. Henne has a running game. Marino never had a running game.

If we're comparing talent, I don't think anyone can touch Dan, but if we're talking stats and games won, Henne can do it.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Iowafin wrote:
If we're comparing talent, I don't think anyone can touch Dan, but if we're talking stats and games won, Henne can do it.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl and Marino didn't. Technically that SB counts for more than every win Marino ever had combined.

I'm talking talent wise. And that said, Henne's potential, (at least IMO), is not even close to what Marino was able to do for 17 years. Henne's roof is as high as any young QB in the NFL right now, but if his is 100 ft. high, than Marino's was 1000.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl and Marino didn't. Technically that SB counts for more than every win Marino ever had combined.

No it doesn't. Trent Dilfer didn't win the Super Bowl, the Ravens did. I don't give a crap about how many Super Bowl titles an individual has because that is a team accomplishment. The only way you could argue that a quarterback won a Super Bowl would be if he had to carry them on his back. Dilfer never did that. Neither did Namath, or a plethora of QB's.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Henne reminds me of Bledsoe in his early years.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne probably will never achieve the astronomical stats that Marino did, but he is a young kid with a good arm and a chance to do great things. He is a real competitor that has a team/owner that's willing to bring in talent to surround him and make him better. If Henne is the second coming of Marino, great. If not, well let's hope he's like Griese and leads us to a couple of Super Bowls!
:grin:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Quote:

I get where PR is coming from with this statement. I know its a sore subject with us Dolphin fans but in any sport the ability (or lack there of) to win a championship accounts for something in most peoples opinions.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
in any sport the ability (or lack there of) to win a championship accounts for something in most peoples opinions.

Uneducated opinions. Marino fought against the Jim Kelly Bills...which were a better TEAM in the playoffs. Same with Manning and the Colts. It was only until the Colts got him studs on defense that his TEAM was able to carry the Lombardi trophy. Manning threw an early pick, and the Colts were down 14-6 at the end of the 1st. The Colts won the Super Bowl, not Peyton Manning.
People lose track of that so easily. Terry Bradshaw in the hall of fame because of 4 super bowls? What a joke that is. Bradshaw was no where near one of the greats...he just happened to play on a team with a defense that obliterated opposing teams. Any shmuck could have walked in and played quarterback won at least 2 Super Bowls with them.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:27 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I hope he lives up to it...

Why not, what would be so bad if Henne became the greatest?

I dont think Ross said Henne IS the greatest, just that he could be

I am with it... He could be, and I hope he becomes it.... Wouldnt be so bad.... Be a nice change from what the last 10 years have been like...

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Quote:

I get where PR is coming from with this statement. I know its a sore subject with us Dolphin fans but in any sport the ability (or lack there of) to win a championship accounts for something in most peoples opinions.

Dan Marino aside here, I'll use Warren Moon. The argument that Superbowls determine greatness is an illogical argument no matter who the person using it is. Who is going to say that Trent Dilfer was better than Warren Moon because Trent won a Superbowl? Seriously.....
Superbowls are great to win and really the only thing worth owning in the NFL, but they don't determine how good a player is. Football is a team sport more so than any other.
In baseball a pitcher can get hot and shut down the other team. A pitcher can nearly single handedly win a game.
In Hockey a goalie can get hot and shut down the opponent much the same way as a baseball pitcher.
In Basketball a player can go off and score 50+ points and heavily influence the outcome of the game.
In football there are 22 players on the field and while one guy can be on his game, he doesn't handle the ball/goal for most the game. The quarterback can be precise, but he has to have a receiver to catch the ball, a line to block for him, and a defense to keep the other team from scoring.
So to say that in football championships equal greatness, it's really a ridiculous notion.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
I hope he lives up to it...

Why not, what would be so bad if Henne became the greatest?

I dont think Ross said Henne IS the greatest, just that he could be

I am with it... He could be, and I hope he becomes it.... Wouldnt be so bad.... Be a nice change from what the last 10 years have been like...

Yeah, it's not blasphemy if it's your own player.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]