View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Miami Dolphins' weakness: Safety 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami Dolphins' weakness: Safety
Quote:
By Scouts Inc.'s Jeremy Green
This is not only the biggest weakness on what is a pretty good defense, but the biggest weakness on this team right now.

Ideally, though, you would like your free safety to be able to get people lined up in the middle of the field when he is in the deep third, and this is an area where Culver is going to struggle. He does not have the necessary experience to run the defense. He is going to have trouble getting himself lined up, let alone trying to get everyone else aligned.

Culver is not a quick-reacting safety in the little I have seen him on film. He is slow to break from the middle of the field. His lack of experience hinders his ability to read routes quickly and get a jump on the football. He does not always take good angles against the run or the pass.

What is even more alarming for Miami is the complete lack of depth at the position. The Dolphins have only three other true safeties on their roster. One of those is rookie Reshad Jones, whom they took in the fifth round of the draft. Jones will have to contribute early and often in the sub packages if this unit is not going to be exposed in 2010.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... ess-safety

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:37 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Miami Dolphins' weakness: Safety
I agree. I like that we have youth there. But, we can't know what Clemons brings to the table until we see him in a game. I'm not so sure I would bank the FS spot on Clemons and Jones just yet. I think we need a veteran there to mentor our pups. Atogwe is not only a ball hawk. He is a smart player. Would be great for the younger guys. However, we may not be interested.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:48 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

This writer did not even mention Clemons.

Lame.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:54 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

LikeUntoGod wrote:
This writer did not even mention Clemons.

Lame.

Especially with all the praise our staff has given the guy, some writers have no clue and are just reaching for stories this time of year.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:27 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Well, it looks like Miami is making a serious run at O.J Atogwe. So if it is a weakness, the Phins are trying to address it with a solid, 29 year old veteran FS with 19 career interceptions.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't think the safety is a weakness. Right now, there's a lot of uncertainty on the defensive side of the ball. How can you single out the safety?

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:33 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I believe Miami has some in house candidates in Chris Clemons, Tyrone Culver and Reshad Jones, talented guys.

But we know Gibril Wilson struggled last year and that is why he is gone. Culver, Clemons and Jones are unproven commodities, so I could see why FS is considered a weakness.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:42 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Yeah. I agree with that. Am I the only person around here that thinks Koa Misi is going to be off the chain this season?? Parcells has a good track record of drafting OLBs. I think were gonna strike gold. Hey first post for me! Do I get a cookie now? Or do I have to wait...

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]