View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Super Bowl 48 to be played in New York 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Super Bowl 48 to be played in New York
Hopefully this will be the only battle the Jets beat us in this year.

Quote:
Super Bowl 48 to be played in New York
by JP

First of all, you have to be kidding me. This is a joke, right? While some former players like Tedy Bruschi, Fran Tarkenton and Jerry Kramer have expressed their jubilation for a cold weather Super Bowl, I couldn't disagree more with the NFL's decision. Yes, the media/marketing aspect of the game will be phenomenal; probably better than any previous Super Bowl. However, it is just too risky. Sure, New England has winter days in which it is 50-55 degrees. It also has days in which two feet of snow fall and the wind blows at 25-35 mph. What if it snows? Can you postpone the Super Bowl? Can you play the game in those conditions? What is the wind-chill is below zero and the wind at 30 mph? Can two high powered offenses battle through those conditions? What if our Dolphins make the Super Bowl? Why should we get that kind of a disadvantage?

The bottom line is that conditions should not play a factor at all in the Super Bowl. None. Yes, you will get rain in South Florida every once in a while, but it rains all over the country all the time. But how can you expect the Super Bowl to be played in February-New York conditions? It just does not make sense. Chad Pennington compares this scenario to the "tuck rule" game. In other words, "bad idea."

At least it isn't in London...

http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index. ... 7&Itemid=1

Wed May 26, 2010 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Super Bowl 48 to be played in New York
This move is very hypocritical of Goodell. He made such a big deal about us putting a roof on our stadium because his rich friends didn't like sitting in the rain; So instead lets move it to the northeast in the middle of winter and let everybody freeze their butt off. :hithead:

Wed May 26, 2010 5:55 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I kinda like the Superbowl in the elements idea... it's football, let it be football.

Tired of all the prissyness in a game thats supposed to be about toughness.

Wed May 26, 2010 8:05 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I agree ... I like it played in the cold as well.
There is no reason why a franchise like the Steelers , easily the most successful & probably the best one as well should not have a super bowl played there.

Wed May 26, 2010 3:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hm...I don't know how I feel. It can go both ways. You want the two best teams to fight it out without the elements being involved. Obviously, a team like Green Bay is going to play better in the snow than Peyton Manning coming from a dome, while anyone can play well in San Diego or Tampa. However, football is a sport where it's played in any weather....so it makes sense.

Wed May 26, 2010 3:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You know the ol' mantra: whatever is good for NY is good for the league. And yes, it is hypocritical of Goodell to insist on a roof only to have a SB played in possibly frigid conditions.

Thu May 27, 2010 12:14 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

joeschmoe wrote:
This move is very hypocritical of Goodell. He made such a big deal about us putting a roof on our stadium because his rich friends didn't like sitting in the rain; So instead lets move it to the northeast in the middle of winter and let everybody freeze their arse off. :hithead:

Just like everything else he does.

Chances of rain in Miami Super Bowl? Happened once in ten years. (10%)

Chances of it being absurdly cold for NY Super Bowl? 100%

Chances of it snowing heavily during NY Super Bowl? (That I can't tell you, but I'm sure it's significantly more than 10%!)

It is absurd that (a) Goodell said that in the first place, (b) the NFL can mandate that for the Dolphins but not any other location, (c) he has now taken Miami out of the "regular rotation" unless they spend $200-300M to upgrade the stadium they JUST UPGRADED.

Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 am

I agree with all the Goodell comments .... however that aside all these northern cities even with their sub freezing temperatures supports their teams & their fans are truly die hards instead of fair weather. Put them into the rotation just like Miami & California & the domed stadiums ... they deserve it.
Wayne H. wanted to monopolize the super bowl & I am thinking Ross would like that as well ... just not fair.

Thu May 27, 2010 4:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I say its due time they play a cold weather Superbowl, However I would also like to see the league mandate open topped stadiums.

Fri May 28, 2010 7:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't care for weather being an advantage for any team during the Superbowl; that is the one game where there truly should be no homefield advantage. I believe the only stadiums north of Tennessee that can host a Superbowl should be those with a dome. As for Miami needing to build a dome before getting another Super Bowl, that is just plain absurd. If your going to require that, then you should never allow a open air stadium to host a superbowl anywhere.

Fri May 28, 2010 8:37 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phin wrote:
As for Miami needing to build a dome before getting another Super Bowl, that is just plain absurd. If your going to require that, then you should never allow a open air stadium to host a superbowl anywhere.

Exactly.

Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

onlygators wrote:
Chances of it being absurdly cold for NY Super Bowl? 100%

Chances of it snowing heavily during NY Super Bowl? (That I can't tell you, but I'm sure it's significantly more than 10%!)

Define absurdly or heavily.
Because New York averages about 30-40 degrees in early February, and no snow. So if 30 degrees is absurdly cold for you, I'm sorry.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09 ... her-report

Mon May 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Stop being so combative. Yes 30-40 --- during the day. Then drop the sun and add wind chill and you could very well be in the teens. Either way, my comment stands.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Define "Early February"...

Video from Feb. 10, 2010 - I suppose that's to late in the month, not if it's played on the 16th...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Article from NY Times, Feb. 13th, 2006...
Quote:
The biggest winter storm in New York City history — destined for lionization as the Blizzard of '06 — buried the region and much of the Northeast yesterday under blowing, drifting, thigh-high snows that crippled transportation and commerce, knocked out power and disrupted life for millions in 14 states.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/13/nyregion/13snow.html

A recent article from NY Times - Feb. 26th, 2010 - Again maybe to late in the month?
Quote:
Like the seemingly endless winter — marked by three powerful snowfalls along the East Coast in February — this storm continued well into its second day, with forecasters saying it would not end for good until Saturday morning. The recovery, however, could spill into next week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/us/27snow.html

So from what I've read lately, and I may be wrong, the game can be played on either the 2nd, 9th, or 16th of February.

Here is an article with some %'s of those who say it could be fine, but don't expect it.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... game-day/1
Quote:
The game could be played on Feb. 2, 9 or 16 in 2014. AccuWeather looked at the weather data for Feb. 2 over the past 44 years and found:

* Snow occurred only 4% of the time.
* Winds of at least 15 mph occurred 54% of the time.
* Rain fell on 14% of those days.

An average day in the New York area on Feb. 2 would have temperatures in the 30s with winds between 10 and 20 mph. But don't expect such "normal" conditions, Rayno said.

"You're playing averages," he said. "Only 20 percent of the years recorded a high temperature within 2 degrees of the average high of 41 degrees. Climate is a product of extremes."

To me, nobody can tell what the weather is going to be like... it's going to be a crap shoot... it could snow, it could be 40 degrees, it could rain, it could be windy as all get out.... it coulbe bright and sunny... we'll just have to wait and see.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

onlygators wrote:
Stop being so combative.

Stop being so defensive. I gave you the opportunity to define absurdly cold. I sent you a video that explains the averages for early February. Combative? :hithead:

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Love to see it being played in a blizzard .... its Football!!

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

FINesse wrote:
Love to see it being played in a blizzard .... its Football!!

Me too, :frozen:

LOL

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:31 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

joeschmoe wrote:
This move is very hypocritical of Goodell. He made such a big deal about us putting a roof on our stadium because his rich friends didn't like sitting in the rain; So instead lets move it to the northeast in the middle of winter and let everybody freeze their arse off. :hithead:

Excellent point!

However, I don't care if they play the game in Iraq as long as the Dolphins are in it!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:02 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

If we made the super bowl, and it was snowing, I would be willing to bet that more than 70% of the fin fans would be crying that "it's such a disadvantage", blah blah blah... not facts, just what I'd be willing to bet on.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]