View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:00 pm



Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe ... UPDATE: Resigns with Rams 
Author Message
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe ... UPDATE: Resigns with Rams
OJ is looking for a long term deal, and I am not sure Miami is looking toward FA for a long term fix at FS. If he is willing to come aboard on a 1 or 2 year deal while Clemons continues to develop, I'd be very interested. But I doubt he settles for that.

Quote:
Rams S O.J. Atogwe, a restricted free agent, insists he will not sign his one-year, $1.226 tender in the hopes of landing a long-term deal. This would force the Rams to offer him a one-year, $7 million guaranteed contract by June 1 or allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Atogwe, who missed the final four games of last season, would be a hot commodity if he becomes free. According to the NFL Network, the Bears, Dolphins, Cowboys and Jaguars all would be in on the bidding for Atogwe, who turns 29 in June. ...


http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Tr ... ms_on_deal


Sun May 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Makes sense. Mike Nolan had Ed Reed in Baltimore and Brian Dawkins in Denver. He'd probably like a proven playmaker back there. I think Chris Clemons can be that guy, but is he ready? We'll see.

_________________
Image


Sun May 23, 2010 6:21 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
They have been right about 8% of the time this off season, so far every free agent, unrestrcted or not is on the radar here.....



Got old a few months ago... I dont see them bringing in anyone now... But who knows

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Sun May 23, 2010 6:24 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 am
Posts: 226
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
It's a lot of chance to bet on landing Atogwe when he's unrestricted, if we really need another safety

_________________
-
A Dane lost on the internet, crashed here
-


Sun May 23, 2010 6:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:09 pm
Posts: 5
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Phins Rock wrote:
OJ is looking for a long term deal, and I am not sure Miami is looking toward FA for a long term fix at FS. If he is willing to come aboard on a 1 or 2 year deal while Clemons continues to develop, I'd be very interested. But I doubt he settles for that.

Quote:
Rams S O.J. Atogwe, a restricted free agent, insists he will not sign his one-year, $1.226 tender in the hopes of landing a long-term deal. This would force the Rams to offer him a one-year, $7 million guaranteed contract by June 1 or allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Atogwe, who missed the final four games of last season, would be a hot commodity if he becomes free. According to the NFL Network, the Bears, Dolphins, Cowboys and Jaguars all would be in on the bidding for Atogwe, who turns 29 in June. ...


http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Tr ... ms_on_deal



Kinda a misleading post considering any information here is based on the fact that we all don't know what we have in a FS. One big assumption by Sporting News?
Anything is possible, but this if way far from breaking news stating that we are looking to sign him.

I do understand that the news right now is few and far between and we are all ready for some football.


Sun May 23, 2010 7:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21598
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Title of thread is misleading.

_________________
Image


Sun May 23, 2010 8:08 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
I can't picture him signing his name on anything under 3 years.

_________________
Image


Sun May 23, 2010 9:55 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 215
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Personally I don't see us really looking at Atogwe. I think the answer this regime is looking for is on our roster already. Atogwe doesn't have to sign his tender and the Rams can actually pay him the 7mil if they want to thanks to the uncapped year. This actually benefits Atogwe, if he stays put he gets 7mil in one year, 7 times what he would make with the tender. If he does well then maybe he gets the deal he's looking for. If he doesn't, he just made 7mil in one year. To me that says stay put.


Sun May 23, 2010 11:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 am
Posts: 226
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
finfan808 wrote:
Personally I don't see us really looking at Atogwe. I think the answer this regime is looking for is on our roster already. Atogwe doesn't have to sign his tender and the Rams can actually pay him the 7mil if they want to thanks to the uncapped year. This actually benefits Atogwe, if he stays put he gets 7mil in one year, 7 times what he would make with the tender. If he does well then maybe he gets the deal he's looking for. If he doesn't, he just made 7mil in one year. To me that says stay put.



He's gonna be 29 before the season starts, which means if he's franchised he can't sign a new deal untill he's 30 with another team. The best bet for him is to go beyond june 1st and become unrestricted. I don't see it as highly likely that Rams will pay him 7 mill, they paid ham 6 something last year on a similar deal.

_________________
-
A Dane lost on the internet, crashed here
-


Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 215
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
enJeppesen wrote:
He's gonna be 29 before the season starts, which means if he's franchised he can't sign a new deal untill he's 30 with another team. The best bet for him is to go beyond june 1st and become unrestricted. I don't see it as highly likely that Rams will pay him 7 mill, they paid ham 6 something last year on a similar deal.


I see your point. The rams didn't go after a S to replace him should he leave. I think that in itself says that they aren't looking to part ways. Secondly, I think they are trying to sign him as cheaply as possible. Yes, he'll be 30 next year, but there isn't going to be a big payday for a 30 something safety who has been very good and not stellar.


Mon May 24, 2010 1:40 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
I read an interesting piece over on FinHeaven suggesting that if we sign Procter (as I see wee did) it opens the door for Grove's departure, which would free up enough (imaginary) cap space to make a move for Atogwe. It sounded interesting enough to kick around until June 1st..

_________________
Image


Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
joeschmoe wrote:
I read an interesting piece over on FinHeaven suggesting that if we sign Procter (as I see wee did) it opens the door for Grove's departure, which would free up enough (imaginary) cap space to make a move for Atogwe. It sounded interesting enough to kick around until June 1st..


The first part makes sense. Getting rid of Grove (a dumb signing in my opinion) would definitely be nice after shipping Smiley. Should Miami ship out Grove as well they will have done a great job of shrugging off dead cap space before it actually hurts them.
Highest paid LT, RT, and WR and second highest paid ILB could constrain Miami, so freeing up space now is wise. Moving Grove for Atogwe, however, doesn't make sense. They have 2 young FS right now competing, why bring in a veteran with a hefty salary?

_________________
Image


Mon May 24, 2010 2:39 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
I read an interesting piece over on FinHeaven suggesting that if we sign Procter (as I see wee did) it opens the door for Grove's departure, which would free up enough (imaginary) cap space to make a move for Atogwe. It sounded interesting enough to kick around until June 1st..


The first part makes sense. Getting rid of Grove (a dumb signing in my opinion) would definitely be nice after shipping Smiley. Should Miami ship out Grove as well they will have done a great job of shrugging off dead cap space before it actually hurts them.
Highest paid LT, RT, and WR and second highest paid ILB could constrain Miami, so freeing up space now is wise. Moving Grove for Atogwe, however, doesn't make sense. They have 2 young FS right now competing, why bring in a veteran with a hefty salary?


I am pretty sure that Jake and Vernon are no longer the highest paid at their respective positions. Also.. Marshall is not the highest paid WR. Fitzgerald is.

_________________
Image


Mon May 24, 2010 2:55 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3096
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
I wouldn't trade Grove for less than a 3rd...He has value...And anything less i think we would be better off just keeping him


Mon May 24, 2010 3:21 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
hypocritex wrote:
I am pretty sure that Jake and Vernon are no longer the highest paid at their respective positions. Also.. Marshall is not the highest paid WR. Fitzgerald is.


Well you'd be wrong on all three accounts. Marshall is tied with Fitzgerald, both making 10 million a year.

_________________
Image


Mon May 24, 2010 4:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Iowafin wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
I am pretty sure that Jake and Vernon are no longer the highest paid at their respective positions. Also.. Marshall is not the highest paid WR. Fitzgerald is.


Well you'd be wrong on all three accounts. Marshall is tied with Fitzgerald, both making 10 million a year.


Err.

Quote:
Many of you have wondered how and why the Miami Dolphins could have made Brandon Marshall the highest-paid receiver in NFL history. The easy answer, as we pointed out the other day, is that they didn't -- his widely-reported four-year, $47.5 million extension fairly should be regarded at best as a five-year, $50 million contract, giving Marshall a $10 million annual average that matches the yearly total paid to Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

Now for the truth.

For starters, the full contract is worth $47.3 million over five years. It contains a phony $2.7 million roster bonus payable in 2014 -- but only if Marshall participates in 95 percent or more of the Dolphins' special teams plays in 2010.

Why would this be included? To allow Marshall and his agent to characterize the contract as a package worth $10 million per year. Truth be told, it's worth $9.46 million annually.

(That may not seem like much of a difference, but the phantom roster bonus allows Marshall and his agent, Kennard McGuire, to claim with a straight face that Marshall is getting $10 million per year.)

Then there's the notion that the Dolphins would pay $24 million in guaranteed money to a guy with a history of off-field incidents. Surely, V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells hasn't lost his mind, right?

He hasn't. (Or, more accurately, if he has, this isn't proof of it.)

With the 2009 decision in the Plaxico Burress grievance that signing bonus money can be recovered only if the player holds out or retires, a $20 million signing bonus would have been untouchable, even if Marshall had been suspended for a year or longer. So the Dolphins instead have paid out a signing bonus of $5.5 million. Coupled with a guaranteed base salary (for skill and injury) of $4 million in 2010, Marshall's contract has a minimum value of $9.5 million over one year.

Here's the kicker. If the Dolphins decide before April 2, 2011 that Marshall isn't who they thought he was, they can walk away, possibly without paying Marshall another penny. Prior to April 2, 2011, he has only $3 million in future guaranteed money that already has been unlocked. But the contract contains offset language; if they cut him and someone else pays him $3 million in 2011, the Dolphins are off the hook for the balance of the contract.

And even if the Dolphins pay a $3 million option bonus due on April 2, 2011, guaranteed base salaries of $6.5 million in 2011 and $6 million in 2012 (he also has $3 million in non-guaranteed base pay in 2012) can be nullified if Marshall is suspended by the league.

So, for now, the only guaranteed money is $12.5 million, with an offset for up to $3 million. If the Dolphins decided to keep him past April 2, 2011, another $9.5 million in guaranteed base salaries will be available -- as long as Marshall stays out of trouble.

These facts are another reason why it's always dangerous to accept at face value the numbers that the player's camp begins to parrot as soon as the deal is signed.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... hall-deal/

Vernon you might be right about. Looking for a website to confirm.

Here ya go: http://content.usatoday.com/sports/foot ... alary+desc

Jake wasn't the top paid OT last year. . And if you want to go on TOTAL contracts. Jason Peters deal is slightly over 60 million. Jakes is about 57.5 . On a yearly basis.. Last year both Gross and Peters made more. Look over the list.



Guess I am right on 2 accounts. :ann0y: Darn those pesky facts..

_________________
Image


Last edited by hypocritex on Mon May 24, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Mon May 24, 2010 4:19 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Where the heck did all the hate for Jake Grove come from all of a sudden?? Geesh...


Mon May 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Phins Rock wrote:
Where the heck did all the hate for Jake Grove come from all of a sudden?? Geesh...


He is getting paid a ton of money and needs to stay healthy.

_________________
Image


Mon May 24, 2010 4:52 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 am
Posts: 226
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Phins Rock wrote:
Where the heck did all the hate for Jake Grove come from all of a sudden?? Geesh...



I guess people are frothing at the mouth for his cap space to get Atogwe and then bet on Berger stepping up ;)

_________________
-
A Dane lost on the internet, crashed here
-


Mon May 24, 2010 4:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
I thought Miami got rid of plenty of cap this off season with Porter, Akin, Gibril and Smiley.

Torbor is making 3 mil....He's gone. Charlie Anderson is making 3+ mil, and he is in a contract year. Yeremiah Bell, (and his huge deal), could be in his last year here if Reshad Jones shows he can play. Ronnie and Ricky are the highest paid tandem in the NFL (as of before last season), and obviously we know the story there.

I don't think you have to let go of Grove in order to get back into good cap shape. Yes, you will have to pay your QB in an off season or two, but I think there are plenty of other players right now that will be gone by 2011, who are currently eating up plenty of cap.

Because I have nothing better to do tonight though, I'm going to review Grove from Miami-NY from Week 8 real quick.


Mon May 24, 2010 5:04 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
hypocritex wrote:
Guess I am right on 2 accounts. :ann0y: Darn those pesky facts..


I don't understand how either of those links proves anything. Should Marshall "stay out of trouble" and play, he is the highest paid WR...tied with Larry Fitzgerald. That list has Vernon Carey as top paid RT, and Jake Long as top paid LT.....

I also don't understand how Jason Peters can have the best contract when he had no signing bonus, and only 4k in incentives. Jake Long has 1.5 million in bonuses.

Can anybody else get in on this, because clearly hypocritiex is extremely confused or I am.

_________________
Image


Mon May 24, 2010 8:52 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Iowafin wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
Guess I am right on 2 accounts. :ann0y: Darn those pesky facts..


I don't understand how either of those links proves anything. Should Marshall "stay out of trouble" and play, he is the highest paid WR...tied with Larry Fitzgerald. That list has Vernon Carey as top paid RT, and Jake Long as top paid LT.....

I also don't understand how Jason Peters can have the best contract when he had no signing bonus, and only 4k in incentives. Jake Long has 1.5 million in bonuses.

Can anybody else get in on this, because clearly hypocritiex is extremely confused or I am.


Clearly you are not looking at their total salaries (Which includes MOST importantly their base salaries). I conceded Vernon. But, Jake is no longer the highest paid LT. Both Gross and Peters were paid more last season.. Peters overall contract is also greater then Jakes.

_________________
Image


Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21598
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
hypocritex wrote:
I am pretty sure that Jake and Vernon are no longer the highest paid at their respective positions. Also.. Marshall is not the highest paid WR. Fitzgerald is.


Why does it matter? You're arguing minutia.

The fact is all three guys have huge, cap prohibitive contracts.

_________________
Image


Tue May 25, 2010 4:02 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8946
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Phins Rock wrote:
Where the heck did all the hate for Jake Grove come from all of a sudden?? Geesh...


I don't get it. Grove has the skills and attitude to anchor this offensive line. You do not get rid of a top 5 center in the NFL. Give him another year to see if he can play a full season. His body isn't shot.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Tue May 25, 2010 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
hypocritex wrote:
Clearly you are not looking at their total salaries (Which includes MOST importantly their base salaries).


I clicked on the link you sent. I clicked on the "total salary" bar. The list is goes Jason Brown, Vernon Carey, Jake Long.

_________________
Image


Tue May 25, 2010 7:14 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Rich wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
I am pretty sure that Jake and Vernon are no longer the highest paid at their respective positions. Also.. Marshall is not the highest paid WR. Fitzgerald is.


Why does it matter? You're arguing minutia.

The fact is all three guys have huge, cap prohibitive contracts.


It doesn't. And I'm not arguing. Just making the point that his statement wasn't entirely accurate.

Iowa.. I don't know why it's not showing up for you. It goes directly to it for me. Dunno. But, here.

Quote:
Brown, Jason Rams $ 4,000,000 $ 11,000,000 $ 7,150 $ 15,007,150 $ 6,207,150
Carey, Vernon Dolphins $ 800,000 $ 12,000,000 $ 2,200,000 $ 15,000,000 $ 5,400,000
Grove, Jake Dolphins $ 2,000,000 $ 12,000,000 $ 200,000 $ 14,200,000 $ 4,600,000
Staley, Joe 49ers $ 460,000 $ 0 $ 12,217,280 $ 12,677,280 $ 13,527,280
Starks, Max Steelers $ 1,400,000 $ 8,000,000 $ 2,006,240 $ 11,406,240 $ 5,406,240
Peters, Jason Eagles $ 10,500,000 $ 0 $ 4,680 $ 10,504,680 $ 12,704,680
Gross, Jordan Panthers $ 5,000,000 $ 5,000,000 $ 5,980 $ 10,005,980 $ 6,005,980
Colombo, Marc Cowboys $ 1,342,059 $ 0 $ 8,107,280 $ 9,449,339 $ 2,699,339
Saturday, Jeff Colts $ 1,500,000 $ 7,450,000 $ 4,160 $ 8,954,160 $ 3,987,493
Long, Jake Dolphins $ 6,500,000 $ 0 $ 1,506,240 $ 8,006,240 $ 9,606,240


The bolded are their total salaries last year.

_________________
Image


Tue May 25, 2010 9:40 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
hypocritex wrote:
Quote:
Brown, Jason Rams $ 4,000,000 $ 11,000,000 $ 7,150 $ 15,007,150 $ 6,207,150
Carey, Vernon Dolphins $ 800,000 $ 12,000,000 $ 2,200,000 $ 15,000,000 $ 5,400,000
Grove, Jake Dolphins $ 2,000,000 $ 12,000,000 $ 200,000 $ 14,200,000 $ 4,600,000
Staley, Joe 49ers $ 460,000 $ 0 $ 12,217,280 $ 12,677,280 $ 13,527,280
Starks, Max Steelers $ 1,400,000 $ 8,000,000 $ 2,006,240 $ 11,406,240 $ 5,406,240
Peters, Jason Eagles $ 10,500,000 $ 0 $ 4,680 $ 10,504,680 $ 12,704,680
Gross, Jordan Panthers $ 5,000,000 $ 5,000,000 $ 5,980 $ 10,005,980 $ 6,005,980
Colombo, Marc Cowboys $ 1,342,059 $ 0 $ 8,107,280 $ 9,449,339 $ 2,699,339
Saturday, Jeff Colts $ 1,500,000 $ 7,450,000 $ 4,160 $ 8,954,160 $ 3,987,493
Long, Jake Dolphins $ 6,500,000 $ 0 $ 1,506,240 $ 8,006,240 $ 9,606,240


The bolded are their total salaries last year.

Regardless, Miami has 3 of the top 10 highest paid offensive linemen, the highest paid WR, second highest paid ILB, and before it's all said and done Vontae Davis, Chad Henne, and Sean Smith will want new deals when they become "superstars."

_________________
Image


Tue May 25, 2010 10:18 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Iowafin wrote:
Regardless, Miami has 3 of the top 10 highest paid offensive linemen, the highest paid WR, second highest paid ILB, and before it's all said and done Vontae Davis, Chad Henne, and Sean Smith will want new deals when they become "superstars."


If Jake Grove can't stay healthy.. You have to think, that he should be let go. That is a HUGE contract for a guy who hasn't consistently been on the field.

Vontae has a nice contract. I don't expect he would ask for more for a while.. Even if he becomes a superstar. But, you could be right. Henne is a team first guy. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't get a new contract if he blows it up until towards the end of his current deal when they lock him up.

The great thing about this regime.. for the most part.. They bring in team players who are team first guys. They also bring an influx of cheap youth. Guys like Incognito who are low risk (Salary wise) and possible high yield. Restructuring deals to make things work in the future.. Will likely help things ease over as well. This regime does a good job of clearing out wasted cap space. You have to figure that Grove has a target on him this year.

To the subject at hand.. If Atogwe is healthy. I think we need to make a run for him. We need another veteran back there to show our young bucks the ropes and hold it down for a couple to few years. Atogwe and Bell would be a very nice combo to compliment our newly upgraded LB corps.

_________________
Image


Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Iowafin wrote:
Regardless, Miami has 3 of the top 10 highest paid offensive linemen, the highest paid WR, second highest paid ILB, and before it's all said and done Vontae Davis, Chad Henne, and Sean Smith will want new deals when they become "superstars."


Being a young talented team sucks, huh?
:ann0y:


Tue May 25, 2010 1:38 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3096
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Big Dave wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Where the heck did all the hate for Jake Grove come from all of a sudden?? Geesh...


I don't get it. Grove has the skills and attitude to anchor this offensive line. You do not get rid of a top 5 center in the NFL. Give him another year to see if he can play a full season. His body isn't shot.


I agree and the same thing applies to Carey...Who rated out very good this past season


Tue May 25, 2010 2:37 pm
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8946
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
A little info on the "topic" (lol).

Chris Mortenson wrote:
Rams S Otogwe, he had reconstructive shoulder surgery after season and is fighting sporrts hernia, accord'ng to sources.

http://twitter.com/mortreport/status/12944558724

RotoWorld wrote:
He's really banged up, which explains the lack of interest in Atogwe to this point. Still, it's likely to pick up shortly. Teams like the Dolphins, Cowboys, Bears, and Jaguars could all use a play-making free safety.

www.rotoworld.com

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Wed May 26, 2010 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:19 am
Posts: 216
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
Do the Dolphins even know he is banged up? I mean, they didn't for Marshall (supposedly). Either way, he'd be a huge upgrade and nice veteran presence. Even if we only kept him for a year or two and traded him if/when Clemons is ready to take over, it would be worth it. Time to add those pieces to the draft picks.

_________________
ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive: http://www.onlygators.com


Thu May 27, 2010 9:23 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
onlygators wrote:
Do the Dolphins even know he is banged up? I mean, they didn't for Marshall (supposedly). Either way, he'd be a huge upgrade and nice veteran presence. Even if we only kept him for a year or two and traded him if/when Clemons is ready to take over, it would be worth it. Time to add those pieces to the draft picks.


You mean Reshad Jones is ready to take over ;) Jones will beat out Clemons. Maybe not this year. But, in the end. JMO.

_________________
Image


Thu May 27, 2010 3:04 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 468
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
I think Reshad Jones is being groomed to take over for Yeremiah Bell at SS.


Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
MNDolfan wrote:
I think Reshad Jones is being groomed to take over for Yeremiah Bell at SS.


I disagree. . he was working at FS with Clemons at the last OTA's. While Culver worked behind YB at SS. I think he will be a FS. Just because the guy can hit doesn't make em a SS. He's a very rangy athlete.

_________________
Image


Thu May 27, 2010 8:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 am
Posts: 226
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
That could be this season out of necessity, needing depth at a weak position as opposed to YB being rock solid. I don't know could still happen :) Either way I doubt Reshad will have any starting duties

_________________
-
A Dane lost on the internet, crashed here
-


Fri May 28, 2010 3:36 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:19 am
Posts: 216
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
hypocritex wrote:
onlygators wrote:
Do the Dolphins even know he is banged up? I mean, they didn't for Marshall (supposedly). Either way, he'd be a huge upgrade and nice veteran presence. Even if we only kept him for a year or two and traded him if/when Clemons is ready to take over, it would be worth it. Time to add those pieces to the draft picks.


You mean Reshad Jones is ready to take over ;) Jones will beat out Clemons. Maybe not this year. But, in the end. JMO.

I don't think he's going to "take over" meaning win the starting job. I think they will give Clemons every possible chance to prove himself. As far as the future, Jones is supremely talented and was a steal IMO. That being said, he is a rookie and hasn't played a down.

_________________
ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive: http://www.onlygators.com


Fri May 28, 2010 9:34 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
hypocritex wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:
I think Reshad Jones is being groomed to take over for Yeremiah Bell at SS.


I disagree. . he was working at FS with Clemons at the last OTA's. While Culver worked behind YB at SS. I think he will be a FS. Just because the guy can hit doesn't make em a SS. He's a very rangy athlete.


He's got good ball skills, however, he does get beat in coverage and he doesn't have good change of direction skills.

I agree with MND. While I think in certain 1st down situations he will get playing time at "FS", he's a SS and I think the heir to YB.


Fri May 28, 2010 12:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
onlygators wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
onlygators wrote:
Do the Dolphins even know he is banged up? I mean, they didn't for Marshall (supposedly). Either way, he'd be a huge upgrade and nice veteran presence. Even if we only kept him for a year or two and traded him if/when Clemons is ready to take over, it would be worth it. Time to add those pieces to the draft picks.


You mean Reshad Jones is ready to take over ;) Jones will beat out Clemons. Maybe not this year. But, in the end. JMO.

I don't think he's going to "take over" meaning win the starting job. I think they will give Clemons every possible chance to prove himself. As far as the future, Jones is supremely talented and was a steal IMO. That being said, he is a rookie and hasn't played a down.


I said eventually. Clemons hasn't shown anything on the field to make me think he is ready. If it were to be today. Culver would get the nod.. JMO.

And Phins Rock.. I think we will have to agree to disagree. I think Jones is a FS all the way.

_________________
Image


Fri May 28, 2010 12:49 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:19 am
Posts: 216
Post Re: Dolphins to pursue OJ Atogwe
I agree - Jones is a FS.

_________________
ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive: http://www.onlygators.com


Fri May 28, 2010 2:24 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.