View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 King: Miami 6th Best Team in NFL 2010? 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post King: Miami 6th Best Team in NFL 2010?
Quote:
6. Miami. I probably like the young quarterback more than most do; I think Chad Henne is set for a breakout year, and I think the receiver group (Brandon Marshall, Brian Hartline, Davone Bess) will be good enough to give Miami enough at that position for the first time in years. Even though the Dolphins didn't get a fourth receiver like the one they wanted (Demaryius Thomas) on draft day, they'll be good enough there to contend.

The most important rookie in the league to a playoff contender, other than Ryan Mathews of the Chargers, could well be Koa Misi, the second-rounder projected to rush the passer for Miami. But as Bill Parcells has said since he came out of the womb, "They don't sell insurance for that kind of thing.'' They don't, and Misi needs to have immediate impact to bolster the one area of the Dolphins that they need the most help -- pass-rush.

Read it all here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... z0oCjHvQtV

Mon May 17, 2010 12:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: King: Miami 6th Best Team in NFL 2010?
I saw that from Mr. King this afternoon. Thoughts on were Miami stands right now are wide ranging. ESPN has Miami in the 20's, but WalterFootball likes Miami alot and has them in the top 10 as well, right behind the Jets.

I think Pete Prisco of cbssportsline.com had Miami at 13 or 15, with a note to watch out for the Dolphins this year.

Mon May 17, 2010 12:24 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Miami wanted Demaryius Thomas at 28?? Dang...

Miami at 6, New Orleans at 5? I can live with that....;p

Mon May 17, 2010 1:29 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:

Maybe when it's all said and done.. we will be that high.. Maybe higher. But, not yet.. not right now. I'd put us around 15 right now.

Mon May 17, 2010 1:31 pm

hypocritex wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Maybe when it's all said and done.. we will be that high.. Maybe higher. But, not yet.. not right now. I'd put us around 15 right now.

If we stay healthy, I don't see any reason why we can't live up to that ranking. They remind me of the Bruins...great core of young players with experience; they went and added the two best players available this off season and I think are ready for business.

I'm a big fan of Green Bay. Glad to see them at number 1 too. I think this is their year.

Mon May 17, 2010 1:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

I'm a big fan of Green Bay. Glad to see them at number 1 too. I think this is their year.

I don't understand the Green Bay hype. If anything, they've gotten worse. No Aaron Kampman, and their corners are getting really old. That defense concerns me. Offensively they're as good as anyone though.

Mon May 17, 2010 1:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Eh, I don't really care for this list. Houston needs to be higher, and Baltimore is definitely not number 3. Green Bay number 1? I don't know...they're up there, but not the most powerful team in the league.

Mon May 17, 2010 1:48 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Eh, I don't really care for this list. Houston needs to be higher, and Baltimore is definitely not number 3. Green Bay number 1? I don't know...they're up there, but not the most powerful team in the league.

This is how he thinks it will end up. Not how it is. In otherwords.. He likely has us winning the division and winning in the playoffs.

Mon May 17, 2010 1:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

This is how he thinks it will end up. Not how it is. In otherwords.. He likely has us winning the division and winning in the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure that's the same thing. Do you think he thinks that Green Bay will magically get better? Besides, the name of the article is "After busy offseason, a look at how the 32 teams stack up now"

Mon May 17, 2010 1:54 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

.[/quote]
If we stay healthy, I don't see any reason why we can't live up to that.[/quote]
I think this statment will be the real key to how well we do this season.....JMO....the year we went 11-5 think we had like 1 player to miss the most of the season.

Mon May 17, 2010 2:03 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Man I really can't wait for the Jets to sputter... I'm tiring of all the hype already.

This guy admits to being bad at this... so why should we put any stock in this Power Ranking?

Mon May 17, 2010 2:06 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They all say different #'s for use, and other teams....I say the way to find out is let the season play out, and the cream will always rise to the top.....please let it be us, please let it be us, please let it be us.......lol

Mon May 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I don't understand the Green Bay hype. If anything, they've gotten worse. No Aaron Kampman, and their corners are getting really old. That defense concerns me. Offensively they're as good as anyone though.

I'm with you on this one. I liked GB a lot after Favre left, but they have been declining since and I just don't see it for them this year, they need to start getting better defensively for sure.

Mon May 17, 2010 2:26 pm

GB was the number 1 defense in the NFC last year....

Mon May 17, 2010 2:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
GB was the number 1 defense in the NFC last year....

In yards. PPG was 7th. Stats are great, but wins are what matters. Also, they played the Lions twice, the NFC South (Tampa Bay, Carolina) and the NFC West and AFC North. Not exactly powerhouse offensive teams. Heck, Tampa put 38 up on them. Pittsburgh scored 37, and Arizona 51.

Plus they didn't do anything in the offseason to upgrade that defense, and Woodson and Harris are another year older.

Mon May 17, 2010 2:45 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I like Peter King but I think New Orleans and Indy have to still be ranked one and two going into this year. Green Bay, Baltimore, San Diego, and the NYj are ranked too high. I thought NE, Minnesota, Texas, and Tennessee were ranked too low. I am not sure if Miami is deserving of the number six ranking but they are much better than most of the prognostications. This season is going to ride on Chad Henne first and the defense second. If Henne develops into the promise he has shown then Miami will be in good shape. If he does not then it will be a mediocre season with Pennington or Thigpen mopping up. There are some questions at OLB and FS still but overall I think the D is primed for a good year.

Mon May 17, 2010 3:25 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

yeah these rankings suck. green bay number 1? try the saints. and he is being very optimistic having us at number 6

Mon May 17, 2010 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Actually I think the key to Miami is what kind of defense shows up this year. If we get a killer d this year than we are certainly top ten material. If our run game continues to be top 5 material and we wind up with a killer d, all we gotta do is get in to the playoffs. Once in the playoffs with that combination, well... look what the Jets did.

I can't predict what kind of team we'll be since the defense is under new managment with new players all around. 3/4 LBs are new to Miami, new to starting or new to both. No way to tell what we got till week 2 of the season (week 1 doesn't count lol).

Mon May 17, 2010 5:16 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

6th is definately a stretch I'd put us in the 8-12 range. Until our defense shows it has what it takes to compete with the big boys a top 10 ranking is wishful thinking.

“We all stink. We're 0-6, everybody stinks. We’ve all, in some way, shape or form have not been good enough I don’t care if it’s the front-desk secretary — she ain’t doing a good enough job.”-Reggie Bush

Mon May 17, 2010 6:56 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I didnt know Larry King was into football :fart: :ann0y: :fart:

Mon May 17, 2010 8:18 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Someone call the Paramedics because I must have overdosed on Mushrooms and Acid.

Peter "Pats Fanboy" King has rated us over the Patriots and in the top 10. I never thought I would see this in my life. King has always had great connections and information regarding the league, but he has a love affair with the Pats. That's why I saw this as such a shocker. And we're also above the undeafeatable Jets.... someone get my stomach pumped.

Tue May 18, 2010 10:11 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
Actually I think the key to Miami is what kind of defense shows up this year.

This is spot on. The offense is about as loaded as it has ever been. The OL is deep and talented. The RB pool is deep and talented. The WR pool is no longer a weakness and if Marshall lives up to his last two seasons will be a strength. Henne will only get better with time...finished with several 300yd games to end the season. If we can keep the Pat White Package bottled up for a season the regular offense might make some serious noise.

The defense has some huge questions right now. Moving your best DE to NT might make both positions worse. That remains to be seen. The OLB position might get after the passer if we project Misi and Wake to start you're going to have a couple of undersized OLB's trying to set the edge. The safety position is in transition. If no one steps up, what do you do? You've got a host of guys that can break out of the pack but will they? CB appears to be the outright strength of this unit right now and their both second year players. I like the fact that the unit is young but with that will come growing pains that will hurt early on.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:26 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

10acjed wrote:

I get the joke.. But I am pretty sure Larry King used to call Dolphin games.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:34 pm

hypocritex wrote:
10acjed wrote:

I think that was the joke. Lol.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:34 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
10acjed wrote:

I think that was the joke. Lol.

No the joke was.. He was implying that Peter King was Larry King.. It was ironic because Larry used to call Dolphin games. Not everyone knows that.. Most people know him as the host of Larry King Live.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Right....Exactly...and Larry King would be partial towards Miami, hence the high rating.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
Actually I think the key to Miami is what kind of defense shows up this year.

This is spot on. The offense is about as loaded as it has ever been. The OL is deep and talented. The RB pool is deep and talented. The WR pool is no longer a weakness and if Marshall lives up to his last two seasons will be a strength. Henne will only get better with time...finished with several 300yd games to end the season. If we can keep the Pat White Package bottled up for a season the regular offense might make some serious noise.

The defense has some huge questions right now. Moving your best DE to NT might make both positions worse. That remains to be seen. The OLB position might get after the passer if we project Misi and Wake to start you're going to have a couple of undersized OLB's trying to set the edge. The safety position is in transition. If no one steps up, what do you do? You've got a host of guys that can break out of the pack but will they? CB appears to be the outright strength of this unit right now and their both second year players. I like the fact that the unit is young but with that will come growing pains that will hurt early on.

I'll say this about the defense:

I don't worry about the defensive ends (Langford, Merling, Odrick [Starks was amazing here]).

I don't worry about CB with Davis, Smith and Allen

I don't worry about ILB with Dansby, Crowder and Dobbins

I don't worry about SS with Bell holding down the fort

OLB: I don't if I should or should not worry here. Pass rush is cake for this crew. Run D, well... time will tell.

I WORRY about NT, Starks is out of position. He is a beast DE, best we got imo.

I WORRY about FS... don't really have a name to throw in here.

Two most important jobs from my perspective in a 3-4 (considering our division): NT and FS. Those are the question marks, and they are make or break each. If they make, we make. If the break, we broke! Split em, and we split our record.

Tue May 18, 2010 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]