View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Zach Thomas has no regrets after multiple concussions 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Zach Thomas has no regrets after multiple concussions
Quote:
Zach Thomas has no regrets after multiple concussions
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 18, 2010 9:15 AM ET

After 13 seasons in the NFL and more concussions than he can count, former Dolphins and Cowboys linebacker Zach Thomas says he doesn't regret anything about his career, even if it damaged his brain.

"I don't know how many concussions I had," Thomas told the Palm Beach Post Monday. "I played through some of them, I guess. I just said it was a sinus problem. You don't want that [concussion-prone] label, because it'll run you out of the league."

Those comments point to one of the biggest obstacles the NFL has to overcome regarding concussions: Even if the league, coaches and team doctors take every precaution to prevent players who suffered concussions from returning to the field before they're ready, some players will mislead their coaches and team doctors because they want to play even if they're risking their health.

And Thomas says he's glad he played the way he did, even as he discusses some of the symptoms of his concussions.

"You get fuzzy vision and can't concentrate," Thomas said. "It's hard to focus. Regrets? No. I knew the risks and chose to take them. If somebody told me when I was a rookie that I'd have the career I had, I'd do it all over again."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ?related=1

Tue May 18, 2010 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Zach Thomas has no regrets after multiple concussions
one hell of a go getter

Tue May 18, 2010 12:34 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I like 54 but when he is eating his dinner thru a straw we will see if he has any regrets.

Tue May 18, 2010 4:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
I like 54 but when he is eating his dinner thru a straw we will see if he has any regrets.

:hithead: Why would you even say that?

Idk about anyone else, but I found this to be a tasteless comment.

Tue May 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Iowa ... didnt mean it to come off that way & I have said it in the past as an anology on other threads about Zach & his multiple concussions. I dont need to see him on a segment of Inside Sports like was aired recently with former NFL players. They are shells of men.
But now with all we know & the advances that were made regarding concussions along with the new NFL guidelines on this issue to say that you have no regrets while he has every right to say it is pretty irresponsible to at the very least his family.
I hope Zach never gets that way but if he does & he becomes another ex NFL player who becomes a poster guy for stricter policies regarding concussions you can bet he will have regrets & I am sure will recant (if he could) his current statements & opinions on this issue.
BTW - I try to think out everything I write before I write it because I know my opinions are not the most popular around here but on this issue while I am sorry you or anyone else might find it tasteless , if it raises awareness it was worth it.

Tue May 18, 2010 4:37 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Its a blunt reality though. I'm thankful for everything ZT did for us here, but then again it might cost him later in life. Its up to the players a lot of times to prevent concussions and ZT just did not help himself out in that area.

But thanks for being tough for us!

Tue May 18, 2010 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]