View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Chad Henne - 4th quarter excellence? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Chad Henne - 4th quarter excellence?
I'm not going into a lot of detail on this pulling out stats, but the fact that he had 2 come-from-behind wins over AFC East divisional rivals last year speaks highly of his leadership and will to win. That's pretty impressive for a first year starter.

Andy Kent wrote:
Henne stepped in and wound up starting the last 13 games, completing 274-of-451 passes for 2,878 yards, 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He compiled a 7-6 record as a starter and engineered two memorable comeback victories over the New York Jets on Monday Night Football in Week 5 and over the New England Patriots in Week 13. Henne knows how important this season is to his development as a bona fide starter in the NFL.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/henne ... start-otas

Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Chad Henne - 4th quarter excellence?
This was the thing about Henne that impressed me the most last season. I'm so used to seeing our Defense get us to the 4th quarter with a shot to win just for our QB to ruin it. Henne has a winning attitude and never backs down. I really think he will be the real deal.

Tue May 18, 2010 6:02 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Henne also threw almost half his picks in the 4th quarter...

Tue May 18, 2010 4:55 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:

I was going to say this. He did lead a pair of fourth quarter interceptions, but he was inconsistant as he also ended some games single-handedly in the fourth quarter (forget the NO game, thanks Ted Ginn and his family).

Not to say he won't be a great QB in the fourth in the future, but I think he got a bit too amped up last year with the time running down and he kind of diverted from his calm, cool, and collective stature.

Tue May 18, 2010 5:04 pm

TheBigFish wrote:
Rich wrote:

I was going to say this. He did lead a pair of fourth quarter interceptions, but he was inconsistant as he also ended some games single-handedly in the fourth quarter (forget the NO game, thanks Ted Ginn and his family).

Not to say he won't be a great QB in the fourth in the future, but I think he got a bit too amped up last year with the time running down and he kind of diverted from his calm, cool, and collective stature.

Well.... that's how you learn.

Tue May 18, 2010 5:32 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Hi! New to this site posting but like to come here an lurk.
You have a fantastic site.

Its too early to know what we have in Henne. You have to like that Pennington mentored him and that he has been in the same system three years
in a row. He hasn't had what i'd call weapons surrounding him.

You do have to wonder how much the Wildcat threw him out of sync, but I seem to remember he'd come right back in and complete a crucial third down
pass, which impressed me.

He shows promise but it is way too early to annoint just yet.

Tue May 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos13 wrote:
Its too early to know what we have in Henne.

No it's not. He's the real deal.

Tue May 18, 2010 6:45 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Iowafin wrote:
apatos13 wrote:

One season doesn't prove anything. Don't get me wrong, I hope he is the man, I really do, but...He has to prove it. Rich said it best, 12 td's to 14 int's leaves alot of room for improvement.

Be interesting to see how many third down conversions opportunities he converted with passes.

Tue May 18, 2010 7:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos13 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
apatos13 wrote:

One season doesn't prove anything. Don't get me wrong, I hope he is the man, I really do, but...He has to prove it. Rich said it best, 12 td's to 14 int's leaves alot of room for improvement.

Be interesting to see how many third down conversions opportunities he converted with passes.

Stats are nice, but it's not stats alone that evaluate talent.

Tue May 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

How many years was Marino in before he set the single season passing record for yards (still standing) and TDs?

Henne is a good QB that will grow and CAN lead us to the promise land, but he is not a diva. His job will always be at risk for that next diva (Marino, Elway, Montana, Young, Brady, Manning, Unitas, ect...).

Tue May 18, 2010 7:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ski_Money wrote:
How many years was Marino in before he set the single season passing record for yards (still standing) and TDs?

Henne is a good QB that will grow and CAN lead us to the promise land, but he is not a diva. His job will always be at risk for that next diva (Marino, Elway, Montana, Young, Brady, Manning, Unitas, ect...).
um Ski those aren't Divas, those are some of the greatest performers the sport of football has ever seen, with the exception of Brady as he does have a pretty big mouth.

Tue May 18, 2010 8:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

My brother is an avid Vikings fan, and he will almost go out of his way to never give the Dolphins credit when credit is due. One statement from my brother that sticks out in my head, and this was right after the Dolphins came back and won on Monday Night Football against the Jets. He called me right after the win, again something that never happens, and he said that the Dolphins found themselves a real "gamer"
A "gamer" according to my family is someone that competes at the highest level. He's the type of guy that can will a team to victory by elevating his play. When the opponent strikes, he strikes back and never backs down. Somebody who can step in and take over a game.
While Henne hasn't really done too much of that, and his numbers are certainly not Pro Bowl caliber, he did do very well for a rookie. When you consider he led our team to a 7-6 record with a very depleated roster, that's impressive to me.
One thing that really stood out to me was that with the Ronnie Brown led Wildcat, Henne was 4-2 as a starter and we were scoring 30 points per game roughly. To me that says that we'll be dominant this year if Ronnie Brown can bounce back.

Tue May 18, 2010 10:33 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I thought Henne looked good overall in the season. Those 'beginner' picks will always happen, but he did looked poised and wasn't a fish out of water when the gameplan had to change because we got behind so much. I have high hopes still :)

Wed May 19, 2010 4:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I've put an R next to poor reads/decisions, a T next to poor throws, and -1 next to picks that weren't his fault.
San Diego:
1. 4th quarter, 1st game against Chargers. Looks off to his right and back across to his left. A slow read that resulted in a pick. R
New Orleans:
2. Perfect throw to Ginn, off his hands, off his leg, into Sharper's hands. -1
3. Man in his face, off back foot, dumb throw on 4th and 13. R
Tampa Bay:
4. 3rd and 7 late in the 4th up by 5, rolls right and throws it right to Quincy Black. R
Buffalo Bills
5. Down by 3 with 2:43 to go, Henne is slightly hit and lofts a floater to Drayton Florence. T
6. Down by 10, Henne locks into Bess and throws it right at Donte Whitner. R
7. Down by 17, 3rd and 9 garbage time. Tipped at the line of scrimmage and picked off by Corey Mace. -1
New England:
8. 2nd quarter, severly overthrows Bess right into the hands of Brandon Merriweather. T
Jacksonville:
9. Mid 4th quarter up by 4, Henne throws a first down pass outside to Fasano. Poor read, picked off. R
Tennessee (Bad game):
10. Down 17-6, trying to make a play, Henne is getting pulled down with 25 seconds to go in the 2nd and throws one up for grabs. R
11. Down 24-9, Henne throws the out and up to Ricky Williams. Slightly underthrown and great pick by Chris Hope. T
12. Overtime, Henne's worst throw of the year. R
Houston Texans:
13. 17-0, Henne hits Ricky Williams in the hands, but Ricky loses it and it goes into the air and into Cushing's hands. -1
Pittsburgh Steelers:
14. 2nd quarter, play action, and Henne tries to hit Camarillo on an out, but he underthrows it. T

7 Poor decisions/reads
4 Poor throws
and 3 that were tipped/dropped
Henne threw a pick every 32.2 attempts. In comparison, Manning's first season was 20.5 attempts, Brees' 32.8, Palmer's 24

Wed May 19, 2010 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]