View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Will Allen willing to move to free safety 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Will Allen willing to move to free safety
Quote:
Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2010 11:15 PM ET
Dolphins defensive back Will Allen has vowed to be in the starting lineup when the 2010 season begins.

To make good on that promise, he's willing to move to a new position. Youngsters Vontae Davis and Sean Smith could have the inside track at the position Allen plays, and that he prompted talk that he could move to free safety.

"I just like playing football, man," Allen said Sunday night regarding whether he'd make the shift, per Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "Whatever it is, I like playing football, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon."

Allen also said that his surgically-repaired ACL is healed.

"I think I'm right where I need to be," Allen said. "I'll be ready to go when the time comes. I'm going to try and do a little bit. We'll see what happens. . . . I feel good. You can line up against me right now. We'll see what happens."

The answer to that question depends on who the "you" is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ?related=1

Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Will Allen willing to move to free safety
Quote:

Will Allen, who tore up his knee last season, was there also. Allen said he’s “fine” now, and isn’t expecting any problems with participating this week. His intention is to compete for his old job, as a starting cornerback, against Vontae Davis and Sean Smith. And he’s enough of a technician that, if healthy, he has a good shot to unseat one of them.

But, at this point, I wouldn’t rule out a switch to free safety. The key for the Dolphins is getting their four or five best defensive backs on the field as much as possible. Allen is certainly in that group.

What’s the starting secondary you’d like to see?

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_se ... l+Blogs%29

Mon May 17, 2010 9:38 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He might be willing, but that doesn't mean he'll be put there...I don't really trust him as the last line of defense against a full speed 230lb back.

Mon May 17, 2010 9:38 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think he more valuable to Miami playing CB anyway. I don't think he will beat out Davis or Smith, but he can help fill the role Nate Jones filled last year.

You can never have enough good CB.

Mon May 17, 2010 12:32 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
I think he more valuable to Miami playing CB anyway. I don't think he will beat out Davis or Smith, but he can help fill the role Nate Jones filled last year.

You can never have enough good CB.

:yay: :yay: him moving to safty.....I just don't see it

Mon May 17, 2010 2:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm not really sure where Allen will wind up this season. If he can get back to where he was before the beginning of last season then he can easily take either Vontae or Sean's job. If he's not 100%, then I think he'll be used in different packages like Nate Jones was last year. I'm not sure how he would do at free safety. It's an interesting move because Allen did have great ball skills before the injury. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how camp and pre-season shakes out. I really don't care where he plays as long as he is productive.
:pumpiron:

Mon May 17, 2010 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]