View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Will Dansby be a bigger player maker than Zack was? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Will Dansby be a bigger player maker than Zack was?
Matty I wrote:
One glance at Dansby's numbers and you'll see what I mean. Over the past four seasons, Karlos is averaging the following stat line: 102 tackles (83 solo), 4 sacks, 2 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, 6 tackles for a loss, and 5 pass deflections.

Channing Crowder doesn't even come close to those numbers. In fact, his 14 career tackles for a loss is one fewer than Dansby has in just his last two seasons. And I don't need to point out how Crowder's insanely disappointing sack and interception numbers.

You can even go back to Zach Thomas and fail to find similar "play-making" statistics to those of Dansby. Thomas, for all his greatness as a guy who could read and react to a play and make the tackle, still wasn't the kind of play maker that Dansby is going to be here in Miami. While Zach did average 7 tackles for loss per season during his 12 years in Miami, he averaged less than 1.5 interceptions, just over 1 forced fumble per season, and only had 19.5 sacks as a Dolphin.

Granted, Zach wasn't asked to rush the passer often. But that's exactly my point. Karlos Dansby will bring to this defense an element of which we have not seen. His best comparison to a semi-recent Dolphin is probably Bryan Cox...but with his sanity.

Dansby's versatility is exactly what Mike Nolan loves. The Dolphins will be running a "tweaked" defense in 2010 that is naturally more fluid. And it's going to be Dansby who is the key cog in that front seven. I expect his versatility to be the reason Nolan's revamped defense will work.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/5/14/1 ... -offseason

Fri May 14, 2010 4:55 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Will Dansby be a bigger player maker than Zack was?
It is not talked about too often but it will be nice to see what Nolan does with this mix of players. Nolan took Denver's porous defense and made it respectable. If he can manage the same with Miami they should again be in the mix at the end of the season.

Fri May 14, 2010 9:31 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:
Nolan took Denver's porous defense and made it respectable. If he can manage the same with Miami they should again be in the mix at the end of the season.

I'm excited about that aspect as well, but I remember drinking the Dom Capers kool-aid. He didn't help our defense. You have to wonder what the heck McDaniels is doing in Denver. He alienated his QB, then had to trade him. He traded away Brandon Marshall rather than try to make him happy with a contract extension. Then he let Nolan leave rather than let him run that defense. He's trying to be Belichick, but unless he has the talent to replace those players with his own players/coaches, he is going to continue that free-fall.

Sat May 15, 2010 5:38 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
His best comparison to a semi-recent Dolphin is probably Bryan Cox...but with his sanity.

I'd like to think that Dansby will do more for Miami than Cox....he was a solid player but certainly us fans expect more from our #1 free agent signing.

Sat May 15, 2010 6:40 am

"Will Dansby be a bigger player maker than Zack was?"

A play on words? He certainly a bigger player. ZT was a smaller player maker....haha.

Dave,
Yeah there was more than that going on. He benched Tony Scheffler his outstanding young TE for the last game of the season. If that game was any indication, the players made a huge statement on the field by getting slammed at home by the hated KC Chiefs. 44-24 was the final score. Scheffler was well-liked in Denver on the media circuit. He often gave interviews on several sports stations during the season. His benching, and subsequent exodus is another feather in McDaniels estranged cap. My early take on McDaniels is he has as big an ego as his mentor without the skill to lead the team. I think the loss to KC was a calling card left by the players that they are no longer on the Josh McDaniels bus. Throw in Nolans departure...for the same job in Miami and things in Denver might get pretty volatile next season if they open slow.

Sat May 15, 2010 11:58 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Zach had a little something extra that you can't measure with stats . . . maybe with the blood dripping from his elbows Every Single Game. Dansby is a better "playmaker" but that doesn't necessarily mean the team will be better for it. The reason every Dolphin fan loved Zach Thomas is because he was always willing the underdog. He did the little, dirty, painful, humble, & down right challenging things that other defenders don't want to. Zach could always be counted on around the ball, even if that meant he had to take a fullback hit so that you could make the tackle on the running back.

I don't care if Dansby is a better playmaker in his career as a Dolphin. ZT54 will live forever in Miami

Sat May 15, 2010 12:01 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Watching the draft set the tone of the defense for me. I think they are going to be an attacking defense with an emphasis on non traditional blitz schemes. Meaning, they are really going to come from anywhere, everywhere and often.

Sat May 15, 2010 12:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

vafinfan wrote:
Quote:
His best comparison to a semi-recent Dolphin is probably Bryan Cox...but with his sanity.

I'd like to think that Dansby will do more for Miami than Cox....he was a solid player but certainly us fans expect more from our #1 free agent signing.

Wait, who compared Dansby to Bryan Cox? :boo:

Sat May 15, 2010 1:13 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I hope he is.....or why else did we give him all that money......so I say he better be.....or he owe's us some money back.

Sat May 15, 2010 1:29 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dansby is a fine player but lets not jump the gun. Zach was a Miami legend who did it for years! Let Dansby by Dansby and don't over blow the expectations before he plays his first game.

Sat May 15, 2010 6:50 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

catman_56 wrote:
Dansby is a fine player but lets not jump the gun. Zach was a Miami legend who did it for years! Let Dansby by Dansby and don't over blow the expectations before he plays his first game.

not comparing the legend of ZT the Dolphin to that of Dansby, but their playmaking abilities........this upcoming season will Dansby make as many plays on Defense that a guy like ZT would have?

I say looking at Dansby's past few seasons and the salary he has commanded and the answer had better be yes! :angry:

I am also expecting Dansby to be that kind of player for the next 3 seasons at least.....he should also be a leader on Defense, especially for all the young LB's that actually make the roster this year.

Sun May 16, 2010 7:10 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Put this together last night to get my mind off the Bruins being the Bruins...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sun May 16, 2010 7:13 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Put this together last night to get my mind off the Bruins being the Bruins...

good video Phins Rock.....nice job!

Sun May 16, 2010 7:28 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Nice vid dude. Dansby can fly man. He is certainly a playmaker and an emotional leader.

Sun May 16, 2010 7:52 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock, very nice job putting that video clip together. After watching Zach for years, the biggest difference is Dansby's size. No wonder Parcells likes big linebackers. It looks like has the instincts for the job, too. I am looking forward to watching him play for the next few years!

Mon May 17, 2010 4:06 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Only time will tell. Zach's efforts are done and in the books, Dansby still has to go out and do it. I sure hope he is.

Mon May 17, 2010 5:19 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Man with Dasby and " a healthy Crowder",and the speed and youth on the outside........wowo... this D-fence will make a lot of heads turn.

Mon May 17, 2010 12:01 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dansby is explosive as a passrusher, much more so than Zach was.

Any other offseason we would be buzzing over having Karlos Dansby, this year Brandon Marshall is the story.

I'm wondering if Tim Dobbins plays OLB? He would be a good, Matt Roth type of player out there imho.

Tue May 18, 2010 5:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]