View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 What needs to go right for the Dolphins to make the playoffs 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post What needs to go right for the Dolphins to make the playoffs
Omar Kelly wrote:
What needs to go right for the Dolphins to earn a playoff berth in 2010?

1. Randy Starks, who excelled in his first season as a starting defensive end, needs to emerge as an effective nose tackle for at least the first eight games, which is the duration of Jason Ferguson’s suspension. If he fails the Dolphins might need to abandon the 3-4 scheme this regime prefers.

2. Henne, who is entering his second season as a starter for the Dolphins, must take the next step. Henne needs to improve his fourth-quarter play, cut down his turnovers, and establish himself as an unwavering team leader to prove he’s the quarterback of the future for the Dolphins.

3. Both Brown and Williams need to stay healthy for an entire season because the Dolphins lean heavily on the running game, and their style of offense doesn’t work well without both Pro Bowl backs.

So, what in your opinion needs to go right for this team to return to the playoffs?

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... ments.html

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed May 12, 2010 4:38 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: What needs to go right for the Dolphins to make the playoffs
Follow the same formula from 2008 - stay healthy and win the turnover battle.

Wed May 12, 2010 4:54 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

11 wins should do the trick.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Wed May 12, 2010 7:39 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

2nd point is the most important one.

Wed May 12, 2010 7:46 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Forget Starks being effective as a NT...it should say Miami's defense needs to be effective. Will this new scheme be aggressive enough? Will they get beat to frequently? There are so many questions on the defensive side of the ball, it goes beyond what Starks can do.

Offensively, Miami can go without Williams/Brown being healthy. We saw it last year without Brown and Cobbs....Brandon Marshall needs to stay healthy will be huge....
With him, this offense is best in the league (yes, I said it), without him they are just above average.

Wed May 12, 2010 10:48 am
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Iowafin wrote:
Forget Starks being effective as a NT...it should say Miami's defense needs to be effective. Will this new scheme be aggressive enough? Will they get beat to frequently? There are so many questions on the defensive side of the ball, it goes beyond what Starks can do.

Offensively, Miami can go without Williams/Brown being healthy. We saw it last year without Brown and Cobbs....Brandon Marshall needs to stay healthy will be huge....
With him, this offense is best in the league (yes, I said it), without him they are just above average.

I agree with the comment on the defense for sure. I have no question that Nolan will be very aggressive just by looking at those Ravens & 49ers defensive teams. This group is so young and there are so many new faces that need to be blended into a cohesive group.

How Miami defense comes together is by far the biggest key for me.

Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:

What we saw without Brown was a dramatic drop in points per game.

Wed May 12, 2010 11:38 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hypocritex wrote:

Not only were they facing tougher defenses, but they didn't have Brandon Marshall.

Wed May 12, 2010 12:44 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

Not only were they facing tougher defenses, but they didn't have Brandon Marshall.

Brandon Marshall has nothing to do with last year. I am making the point that we need Brown healthy. No matter what you say about the Defenses we faced. Look at the point average after Brown went down.

It speaks loudly enough.

Wed May 12, 2010 1:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

Brandon Marshall has nothing to do with last year. I am making the point that we need Brown healthy. No matter what you say about the Defenses we faced. Look at the point average after Brown went down.

It speaks loudly enough.

What do you mean Brandon Marshall has nothing to do with last year? You are saying Miami's point totals went down last year without Brown, so you're comparing this year's team to last year's....but yet I can't compare the two?

The point total going down is two-fold...one because Brown was gone and two because of the tougher defenses. Miami won 3 games with him, won 3 without him, and won another with him for half of the game so it's split. So Brown staying healthy has nothing to do with Miami's playoff hopes.

Wed May 12, 2010 1:57 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I would say less turnovers more takeaways, then no key injuries, and last when we have the lead on real good teams (i.e) Saints & Colts we keep the lead.....those two losses still hurt

Wed May 12, 2010 2:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
and last when we have the lead on real good teams (i.e) Saints & Colts we keep the lead.....those two losses still hurt

aka: Consistent defense. Giving up bundles of points in the 1st quarter or 4th quarter were suicidal.

Wed May 12, 2010 2:06 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
and last when we have the lead on real good teams (i.e) Saints & Colts we keep the lead.....those two losses still hurt

aka: Consistent defense. Giving up bundles of points in the 1st quarter or 4th quarter were suicidal.

Yes all that and the fact that Ginn tip the ball that Sharper ran in for a td.....Man i'm glad his azz is gone...that right there could have been at least 1 win..

Wed May 12, 2010 2:12 pm

A healthy Ronnie Brown would certainly be nice, but I thought Ricky Williams did a solid job taking up the slack when Ronnie got hurt. He averaged almost 90 yards a game the last 8 games of the season when Ronnie was hurt. Still, the more playmakers you have, the better.

Plus, Brandon Marshall certainly adds a different element to this team that they did not posses last year. He was very much a needed piece for this offense.

In the end though, the defense to me is the biggest factor in Miami taking the next step.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]