View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Joe Haden out of FL 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Joe Haden out of FL
What do you think of the Dolphins taking Joe Haden with the #12 pick......then moving Sean Smith to FS?

So the corners would be Allen, Davis, and Haden(nickel).......then Smith and Bell at safety.

that could solve the issue with getting beat deep constantly by Wilson not getting deep enough in coverage.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:21 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Joe Haden out of FL
Kinda hard alternating a guy from CB to FS... ala Jason Allen.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If you want a FS that is good then draft a FS that is good. Converting a CB to FS is not fun.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:30 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:
Kinda hard alternating a guy from CB to FS... ala Jason Allen.

Jason Allen was moved around because he couldn't grasp how to play either position and coaches were just trying to figure out how to get him on the field.......Smith picked up CB well enough to start at the beginning of the season and play well leading the team in passes defenced.

The two players are very different, and with that I believe the results would be very different as well.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:32 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Ski_Money wrote:
If you want a FS that is good then draft a FS that is good. Converting a CB to FS is not fun.

Guys the position is not new to Smith......he did play FS in college.......so there really isn't much conversion going on.......from what I saw of his game I got the impression that he would make a better FS than CB.......but to play FS you have to have a better understanding of what is going on in the secondary, not just your position.

The guy is a ball hawk, but playing CB he was not able to see the ball in the air because he could only look at the last minute defending his guy.......especially with very little help from the Safety position........at FS he could watch the QB and track the ball while its in the air......then use his 6'3 height to go and get it!

I'm not sure if he'd be up to it in his 2nd season, but I didn't know he'd be ready to start at CB in his first season either?

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:36 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Putting Smith at Safety is not a good idea. Even as a cover safety.. He would still be called on, a lot, to make tackles in the run game. Sean Smith has a problem being physical against the run. He does not tackle well at all. Vontae would make a much better safety of the two. Fortunately, Vontae is so talented he could play either. But, he'll stay at CB and become one the best tackling CB's I've ever seen. And hopefully a great cover corner.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think we should draft Tebow at 12 and convert him to Linebacker.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:26 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Iowafin wrote:
I think we should draft Tebow at 12 and convert him to Linebacker.

Great idea Iowa..... :stalker:

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:03 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

A kid to look at a little later in the draft, say from round 3-4 is Robert Johnson, the FS out of Utah. I don't have his stats in front of me, but I do believe he has double digit career interceptions and does not mind coming up in the run game.

Sean Smith is not a good or willing tackler right now, and Tony Sparano said he has to get stronger and do a better job in the run game.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:59 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

keebler_kahn wrote:
Jason Allen was moved around because he couldn't grasp how to play either position and coaches were just trying to figure out how to get him on the field.......

Wrong. Coaches moved him around out of necessity.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:
Jason Allen was moved around because he couldn't grasp how to play either position and coaches were just trying to figure out how to get him on the field.......

Wrong. Coaches moved him around out of necessity.

Thanks for the correction.......

Quote:
Putting Smith at Safety is not a good idea. Even as a cover safety.. He would still be called on, a lot, to make tackles in the run game. Sean Smith has a problem being physical against the run. He does not tackle well at all.

The Safety that is supposed to come up in run coverage is the SS more often than not. I believe Bell handles that job just fine. The FS may have to help in run coverage, but that does not happen a lot unless your front-7 stinks. Plus he is a better tackler than your boy Wilson who played FS last season and is terrible in coverage.

I believe Smith would make a better FS than CB because he seems to track the ball better when the ball is in front of him. Again it may take another season or so because as the FS he may be called upon to be the leader of the secondary and I'm not sure if he's ready for that?

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

phinsfansc wrote:
A kid to look at a little later in the draft, say from round 3-4 is Robert Johnson, the FS out of Utah. I don't have his stats in front of me, but I do believe he has double digit career interceptions and does not mind coming up in the run game.

Sean Smith is not a good or willing tackler right now, and Tony Sparano said he has to get stronger and do a better job in the run game.

Johnson has the ultimate combo of size, speed, etc...but he does not change direction real well and does not have good cover skills. But I think he could definitely develope into a great center fielder. He's also got tremendous ball skills.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]