View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Salguero: Quickie tutorial on the final league year 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Salguero: Quickie tutorial on the final league year
The NFL today sent out the following quick tutorial on the coming crisis offseason and what it all means.

Q: When does the CBA expire should there be no extension to the agreement?

A: In March of 2011.

Q: Will there be a college draft in 2011?

A: Yes.

Q: What is the "Final League Year" in the current agreement?

A: The "Final League Year" is the term used in the CBA to refer to the last year of the agreement. Without a further extension of the CBA, the “Final League Year” would be the 2010 League Year, which begins on March 5.

Q: What are the differences between the "Final League Year" and any other "0League Year?"

A:The principal differences are that in the "Final League Year" there is no salary cap and there are substantial additional restrictions on player free agency and reductions in player benefits.

Much more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... -of-2.html

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:44 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Salguero: Quickie tutorial on the final league year
so it sounds like in the Final League year a team will basically buy itself a championship??

I think I see a * next to the super bowl winner

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:48 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Quote:
Q: What is the Final Eight Plan?

A: During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the Divisional Playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. They cannot sign any UFAs unless one of theirs is signed by another team.

For the four clubs that lost in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters. Those four only will be permitted to sign one unrestricted free agent for $5.5 million (estimated) or more in year one of the contract, plus the number of their UFAs who sign with another team. They also can sign any unrestricted free agents for less than $3.7 (estimated) million in year one of the contract with limitations on the per year increases.

In the case of all final eight teams, the first year salary of UFAs they sign to replace those lost cannot exceed the first year salary of the player lost with limitations on the per year increases.

I found this part particularly interesting as it will affect the jests. If I am reading this right, they can only sign as many free agents as they let go to another team, and cannot pay any free agent more than the salary of the free agent let go. interesting.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:41 pm

found this part particularly interesting as it will affect the jests. If I am reading this right, they can only sign as many free agents as they let go to another team, and cannot pay any free agent more than the salary of the free agent let go. interesting.

Again , im sure im not getting all this 100% but it does not seem right ... as if the teams are not on the same even keel. What happens after next year ... strike??
Anyway still seems it will go down as a tainted year ... these guys got a great product .. why cant they get this stuff worked out ... oh yeah ... Greed.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:31 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Ah man unions drive me nuts... maybe cuz I have to deal with them on a regular basis... but what I just read was a whole ball of confusion.

This will be interesting if the don't sign a new CBA

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]