View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 Parcells replaced every starting 2009 LB except for Crowder 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Parcells replaced every starting 2009 LB except for Crowder
And Crowder has competition.

Omar Kelly wrote:
When the 2009 season ended with three straight losses, which extinguished the team's playoff hopes, who knew the Dolphins' decision-makers would blame the team's 7-9 record primarily on the defense's failures.

A thorough look at all of the moves made this offseason indicates Bill Parcells and company were determined to rebuild that unit to the point that every starting linebacker but Channing Crowder is gone. And their coaches are gone, too.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Fri May 07, 2010 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Parcells replaced every starting 2009 LB except for Crowder
Crowder better watch his back. It could end up being Wake, Dobbins, Dansby, Misi

Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
....who knew the Dolphins' decision-makers would blame the team's 7-9 record primarily on the defense's failures.

Couple things: Is that a question? If so, put a question mark. If not, it makes no sense. Secondly, what a stupid question. I think everybody here other than FrustratedFinFan knew that the defense was responsible for the 7-9 season. As soon as Chad Henne went under center, the offense was awesome, and even in the three games he wasn't in there, the Colts' defense was murdered by the run attack.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:33 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

hypocritex wrote:
Crowder better watch his back. It could end up being Wake, Dobbins, Dansby, Misi

don't rule Edds out just yet either.....the expectation is that he could be a nickel LB, but he may have the ability to be a 3-down ILB when all is said and done?

Fri May 07, 2010 1:36 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

keebler_kahn wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

don't rule Edds out just yet either.....the expectation is that he could be a nickel LB, but he may have the ability to be a 3-down ILB when all is said and done?

Maybe down the road. I don't know if he is that type of guy from day 1 though.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:40 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

hypocritex wrote:
Crowder better watch his back.

More like his mouth.....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri May 07, 2010 1:47 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I truly think the stuff about Crowder's "mouth" is way exaggerated? Does he spout off? Sure. Does he like to talk trash? Of course. Does he say a few things he shouldn't? Yes. But for someone who talks as much as he does, who has as much fun as he does and who plays as hard as he does, I've seen MUCH WORSE from players who talk MUCH LESS and nobody cries about them. Crowder has found a way to stay just inside the lines - or to step on them and not over them - and I'm OK with that.

Fri May 07, 2010 2:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Frustratedfinfan never said our bad defense wasn't part of the problem.....I just kept emphasizing that it wasn't our only problem and that I felt our #1 position of need was a WR. I think the acquisition of Brandon Marshall showed that the coaching staff also felt WR was a weakness in Miami...unlike many folks on this page who felt that our WR corps was just fine :)

I knew we would go heavy on defense after we signed Marshall and that seemed fine to me. I think bringing in so many linebacker prospects might indicate our scouting/staff has some difficulty making picks they think will stick...but I guess you have a better chance of hitting a target with a shotgun than a pistol (if you can't aim that is).

Fri May 07, 2010 2:59 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

onlygators wrote:
I truly think the stuff about Crowder's "mouth" is way exaggerated? Does he spout off? Sure. Does he like to talk trash? Of course. Does he say a few things he shouldn't? Yes. But for someone who talks as much as he does, who has as much fun as he does and who plays as hard as he does, I've seen MUCH WORSE from players who talk MUCH LESS and nobody cries about them. Crowder has found a way to stay just inside the lines - or to step on them and not over them - and I'm OK with that.

But Crowder stinks Adam. Lol. Ok ok.. He is mediocre. But, if he plays like he did last year again. He is downgraded to STINK.

Though I personally feel like he will thrive with Dansby moving into his spot and Crowder moving over.

Fri May 07, 2010 3:45 pm

hypocritex wrote:
onlygators wrote:

But Crowder stinks Adam. Lol. Ok ok.. He is mediocre. But, if he plays like he did last year again. He is downgraded to STINK.

Though I personally feel like he will thrive with Dansby moving into his spot and Crowder moving over.

It's a Gator thing I guess,,,, :)

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri May 07, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile YIM

hypocritex wrote:
onlygators wrote:

Actually Crowder will be staying at the Mike from what I have read, and Dansby is simply replacing Akin as the "Mo" ILB.

But I agree that Crowder will thrive with Dansby alongside.

Fri May 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think with all the help Crowder has now he will be more productive,like back when he had ZT&JT playing at there best. Then if he gets hurt......agin we have solid back up in place.

Fri May 07, 2010 5:17 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
onlygators wrote:

Actually Crowder will be staying at the Mike from what I have read, and Dansby is simply replacing Akin as the "Mo" ILB.

We will see......

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri May 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

People have bought into the notion that Crowder isn't a playmaker and mediocre at best. He's good. Not great, but good and serviceable. Put Dansby next to him and they could be oustanding.

Sat May 08, 2010 8:51 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
onlygators wrote:

No sir. I don't think that is accurate. It hasn't been said anywhere whether or not he will move into Crowders spot. But, I think one would assume as much. Either way.. It will be nice to have him in the middle. Crowder struggled at the Mike spot last year. I truly think Dansby will be put there.

Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 am

Hypo. Coach Sparano said in an interview the other day, (I'll try and find out which one), when asked about Dansby's role, that he'd be playing what they call the "Mo" ILB spot, and Crowder will stay in the Mike. Dansby didn't play the Mike in Arizona either anyway, so...

Sat May 08, 2010 9:47 am

Quote:
had ZT&JT playing at there best

Forget about those traitors!! They never won anything anyways!! The core we have now is best ever!!!

Sat May 08, 2010 9:53 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

FINesse wrote:
Quote:
had ZT&JT playing at there best

The core we have now is best ever!!!

I can tell that you are excited about the up coming season but.......these guys haven't played together yet,and we still don't know who will be the starters at this point. Love your excitement but "Come On Man" the best ever?

Sat May 08, 2010 9:58 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
Hypo. Coach Sparano said in an interview the other day, (I'll try and find out which one), when asked about Dansby's role, that he'd be playing what they call the "Mo" ILB spot, and Crowder will stay in the Mike. Dansby didn't play the Mike in Arizona either anyway, so...

Would like to see that. As I have watched all his interviews. I may have missed it..

Sat May 08, 2010 10:11 am

hypocritex wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Would like to see that. As I have watched all his interviews. I may have missed it..

I just skimmed through them and cannot find it. I could have sworn...maybe it was in a written interview.

In any case, I'm 99% sure that I have heard it...Actually I'm 100% sure because, unless it was a dream, it was when I first heard the term "Mo" used for one of our ILB positions.

EDIT: Rotoworld (not sure if this was speculation or not) had this to say:
Quote:
Dolphins signed ILB Karlos Dansby to a five-year, $43 million contract, including $22 million guaranteed.

Dansby, 28, gives Miami exactly what it set out this offseason to acquire: play-making ability. A fumble-forcing, tackling machine with underrated cover and blitzing skills, Dansby is a do-it-all inside linebacker. He'll take over as the Dolphins' "Ted" ILB next to "Mike" Channing Crowder. The deal is the richest ever for a linebacker whose main duty isn't to rush the passer, but Miami is looking for someone to help right away. And Dansby fits the bill.

Sat May 08, 2010 10:27 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

That's speculation. They wrote that before Sparano even spoke. Time will tell I guess.

Sat May 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Look , all sarcasm aside here is the thing .... as a Dolphin fan I (we) have all been down this road before & I dont critisize anyome for being excited but we all know that this story usually doesnt turn out in December like it is being written in May.
Off season moves are mind boggling , there is that 2 week window where they happen at such a rapid pace that most fans think that there teams improved to the max & then the draft comes & feeling is , that they are now over the top & you might as well pencil them in for the super bowl.
Everyone who has been here from the beginning knows this ... no matter who the coach , who the QB , who the water boy very logical reasons & assesments are given as to why we finally took those steps to dethrone the Patriots , overcome the Colts , be better than the Steelers & the Chargers , etc. I am at the point that Sundays are just a whole different thing entirely. Anything can happen & usually does. We get disapointed again & again & then blame a referee for our woes. Maybe I am just burned out by all this stuff or maybe Im just a realist ... I want good things to happen but all teams improve (OK most) in the off season not just us. I still see weakness but I also know that not every need can be taken care of in 1 off season. The title of this thread that every LB except 1 has been replaced should tell us something & quite honestly the one that has not been replaced is medoicre at best , I dont care who is playing next to him!!
Last but not least players are like Powder Kegs .... waiting to go off ... they come in with pasts & problems while professing to have changed because they just signed a huge contract. But when things go sour they are anything but leaders , they are cancers ... Marshall is no different but that is just the way this league has become ... we saw it with Porter ... JT , ZT & JP .... who the hell is gonna run on us ... Answer: Everyone , especially in the 4th quarter when those guys were sucking wind. So Im sorry if I just cant suck up anymore & drink the pre season kool aid.

Sat May 08, 2010 2:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

FINesse wrote:
Look , all sarcasm aside here is the thing .... as a Dolphin fan I (we) have all been down this road before & I dont critisize anyome for being excited but we all know that this story usually doesnt turn out in December like it is being written in May.
Off season moves are mind boggling , there is that 2 week window where they happen at such a rapid pace that most fans think that there teams improved to the max & then the draft comes & feeling is , that they are now over the top & you might as well pencil them in for the super bowl.
Everyone who has been here from the beginning knows this ... no matter who the coach , who the QB , who the water boy very logical reasons & assesments are given as to why we finally took those steps to dethrone the Patriots , overcome the Colts , be better than the Steelers & the Chargers , etc. I am at the point that Sundays are just a whole different thing entirely. Anything can happen & usually does. We get disapointed again & again & then blame a referee for our woes. Maybe I am just burned out by all this stuff or maybe Im just a realist ... I want good things to happen but all teams improve (OK most) in the off season not just us. I still see weakness but I also know that not every need can be taken care of in 1 off season. The title of this thread that every LB except 1 has been replaced should tell us something & quite honestly the one that has not been replaced is medoicre at best , I dont care who is playing next to him!!
Last but not least players are like Powder Kegs .... waiting to go off ... they come in with pasts & problems while professing to have changed because they just signed a huge contract. But when things go sour they are anything but leaders , they are cancers ... Marshall is no different but that is just the way this league has become ... we saw it with Porter ... JT , ZT & JP .... who the hell is gonna run on us ... Answer: Everyone , especially in the 4th quarter when those guys were sucking wind. So Im sorry if I just cant suck up anymore & drink the pre season kool aid.

Way to speak form the heart....this gets me pumped up for the season to begin :grin:Thanks FINesse

Sat May 08, 2010 4:29 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Wow, wish I had not taken a week off from the site and saw this explode after my post. I agree w/ everyone who said Crowder will continue to be the Mike LB and that he will thrive alongside Dansby. If he doesn't, he's gone. It's as simple as that.

Wed May 12, 2010 10:15 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Let's not forget that Parcells made some major changes to his OL last year with good success. I think the moves he made this year to his front 7 will pay off for us in a couple of years ... hopefully sooner. As Rich pointed out in the Randy Starks video clip that Phins Rock posted, our linebackers were out of place a lot. These new players are young, smart, relentless, and are good leaders. We'll see if they have the talent to play in the NFL.

Thu May 13, 2010 4:41 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

onlygators wrote:

How about the insubordination he engaged in on local talk radio?

You and I would get fired for that kind of talk.

Thu May 13, 2010 4:44 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
onlygators wrote:

How about the insubordination he engaged in on local talk radio?

You and I would get fired for that kind of talk.

It was not insubordination. And you don't fire a good player who makes millions of dollars (as opposed to our tens of thousands) just because he disagrees with a decision that was made regarding one of his friends. People are allowed to have opinions - listen to how he said it on the air rather than the printed words. He is not the first - and will not be the last - player to say similar things and not be in fear of losing his job. His relationship with Sparano and Parcells - especially - affords him that ability.

WHAT HE SAID ON AIR: "If the game's on the line, I want my two Pro Bowlers coming off the edges. That's my mind as an inside linebacker. If I see different guys out there, not bad mouthing anyone, I'm going to be like 'Peezy, you straight? You good? You healthy? J.T., you straight? You healthy? Why aren't you all out there?' It was a funny situation among the team. The coaches and team are all supposed to be together as one, but there's still that camaraderie that gathers. It was an uncomfortable situation among the team, and I know I'm not the only player that thinks that. I know a lot of the other guys were, too."

Insubordination? Please.

WHAT HE SAID AFTERWARDS: "I talked to Tony afterwards, and Tony didn't say anything about it," Crowder said. "I wasn't picking sides. I was saying that the situation where your teammate is taken out of the game the day before the game was a surprise. It really was uncomfortable because we didn't really know what was going on. Joey's mad. He's visually mad. He's verbally mad. He's just upset about the situation. He was getting some stuff off his chest, and I was listening. It was an uncomfortable situation, but I don't think I'll get in any trouble because I really didn't say anything offensive. I just gave my opinion of the situation. That's what radio is."

Thu May 13, 2010 8:07 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I don't think Sparano would be happy with what he is saying. Sparano is the high ranking officer. Crowder is one of his troops. You speak out of turn without asking permission, all the while questioning the decisions of your Officer and there is going to be problems.

But.. Crowder is a little goofy that way.. He probably has a good relationship with Sparano. I'd imagine Tony probably pulled him aside and told him to shut his mouth or he will be finding his butt on the bench... another one.

Thu May 13, 2010 9:39 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

hypocritex wrote:
I don't think Sparano would be happy with what he is saying. Sparano is the high ranking officer. Crowder is one of his troops. You speak out of turn without asking permission, all the while questioning the decisions of your Officer and there is going to be problems.

Totally agree with that. As it turned out at the end of the season, Crowder was on his buddy Porter's side. I think maybe "gator" is a little biased;)

Thu May 13, 2010 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Crowder is very goofy, light-hearted and fun - especially when a microphone is in front of his face. What he said was blown WAY out of proportion. It is not bias, Big Dave, I would feel the same way if anyone else on the team said the same thing. Easy to resort to that justification though, isn't it?

Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]