View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 AFC East dominates the offseason 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post AFC East dominates the offseason
Quote:
Normally, the NFC East wins offseasons with aggressive signings and bold moves. This year, the nod goes to the AFC East.

In the toughest year to judge who did the best because of the limitations created by the uncapped year, three of the top five offseasons belong to AFC East teams: the Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots and New York Jets. That shouldn't be a surprise. You have Bill Parcells going against Bill Belichick and Mike Tannenbaum, all of whom have worked together on highly competitive, aggressive teams.

The uncapped year -- the first in nearly two decades -- depleted the market for available players. Only 48 unrestricted free agents have moved to new teams from a list of 221 who had to have six years in the league to qualify. Only 22 received contracts in excess of $3 million a year. The lack of unrestricted free agents resulted in 38 players moving via trades and more than 40 signing with new teams after being cut.

To be perfectly honest, teams didn't get much better

So who are the five teams that did the best this offseason?

2. Miami Dolphins: The key to the 2010 offseason is making more advances than retreats. Sure, the Dolphins took a hit to their pass rush by cutting Joey Porter and losing Jason Taylor to the Jets, but they added two impact players: Marshall and inside linebacker Karlos Dansby. Dansby more than makes up for the release of linebacker Akin Ayodele. Dansby, considered one of the main prizes in free agency, signed a five-year, $43 million contract. The Marshall deal could be the key to the season. The Dolphins didn't have a big receiver with yards-after-the-catch ability. They were trying to get by with mostly slot receivers. Marshall gives Chad Henne a big target. He's had three 100-catch seasons and is much better than Ted Ginn Jr., who had speed but didn't seem to fit into Parcells' long-term plans. Guard Richie Incognito could add more attitude to the offensive line. The Dolphins lost 16 of their 44 team sacks with the departures of Taylor and Porter, but they believe Cameron Wake, a former CFL pass-rushing star signed last year, can help. The draft gave them a quality defensive end in Jared Odrick, a linebacker in Koa Misi and a big guard in John Jerry

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=5167792

Thu May 06, 2010 9:58 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: AFC East dominates the offseason
Now if we can just dominate the reg-season to. All of these moves we did look good on paper,and sure it makes us fans feel good about our team and were they're going. I think that with what we have add to our team anything less than 11-5 and a shot at the playoffs is a waste. Just my thoughts but I'm tiered of saying "well maybe next year we will get it back on track". This is the time to make a good run at it.

Thu May 06, 2010 10:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think the key to this season will be the re-tooling of the defense. If Mike Nolan comes in and the defense takes off, then we're a top ten team with a shot at the playoffs. The offense will likely improve in my opinion because of the addition of Brandon Marshall and the return of Ronnie Brown. I already feel like we have a top ten offense, but the key to us making the playoffs will be our defense. If our pass rush suffers a lot because of the departure of Jason Taylor and Joey Porter then it might be a tough year for the guys in the secondary. Starks moving to the NT position will be another critical factor. If he fails to make the transition, we might struggle against the run. Yeah guys, I think this season comes down to what we do on defense. Our team will go as far as the defense lets it in my opinion.
:angry:

Thu May 06, 2010 10:18 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:

That is a telling quote & one I agree with.
When all is said & done after this season it will be funny if its business as usual & the Patriots win the division after really just standing pat & resigning their own guys & BUILDING THRU THE DRAFT!!

Fri May 07, 2010 4:39 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
When all is said & done after this season it will be funny if its business as usual & the Patriots win the division after really just standing pat & resigning their own guys & BUILDING THRU THE DRAFT!!

I was surprised at how rusty Brady was last year. His passes were off-target a lot and his pass protection seemed to break down more than usual. I expected to see a better Brady, but if Welker isn't back at 100% it could be a long year for that offense. I think they are beatable, but you can never count out the genius of Bill Belichick.

Red - Priority action needed
Orange - Some problems which need addressing
White - Could use upgrade
Lt Green - Starters good but issues with depth
Green - Confirmed Starters and depth

http://www.profootballfocus.com/article ... rc=&id=154

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri May 07, 2010 5:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FINesse wrote:
Quote:

That is a telling quote & one I agree with.

The Patriots are one of the oldest teams in the league. Building through the draft is something they haven't had much success with as of late. Despite the fact that everyone think Belicheck a genius every year for trading 22 times and getting a ton of guys. He just throws a ton against the wall and see who sticks. But, make no mistake.. Miami's youth movement is undeniable.. The fact that we are this young and will compete for the divison. Is a great thing.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

What a joke...New England was the number 1 team this offseason as far as getting better? That's laughable. Only the TE's make them a threat this offseason, other than that they've done nothing except get older. Their O-line is still average, their pass rush is still bad, and their secondary is still below average. This love affair with this classless, cheating, sorry excuse of an organization has to stop. Let's beat them by 60 twice this year.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]