View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Dolphins Eyeing Rams Safety O.J. Atogwe? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins Eyeing Rams Safety O.J. Atogwe?
Quote:
Dolphins Eyeing O.J. Atogwe?
Mon May 3, 2010
http://www.ffmastermind.com

The Miami Herald reports there is the possibility the Dolphins might be planning to do something with S O.J. Atogwe after June 1. The issue can get complicated but, in a nutshell, Atogwe is a restricted free agent who is not signing his tender. After June 1, the St. Louis Rams must extend his tender to keep him from becoming an unrestricted free agent. But to extend the tender they must pay him 110 percent of his 2009 salary which was $6,342,021. Most observers don't see a way the Rams will extend a new tender of $6,976,223 after June 1. Atogwe simply didn't play up to that level last year after a very good year in 2008. So Atogwe may be hitting the market. And the Dolphins might/should consider the 28-year-old as an option.

Tue May 04, 2010 3:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Dolphins Eyeing Rams Safety O.J. Atogwe?
Could a "report" get more speculative than that?

Tue May 04, 2010 3:50 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Quote:
Dolphins Eyeing O.J. Atogwe?
Mon May 3, 2010
http://www.ffmastermind.com

And the Dolphins might/should consider the 28-year-old as an option.

Exactly right, Rich. Might? Should? Why not report when there is some substance to the information, instead of the whole thing being based solely upon the writer's opinion?

Tue May 04, 2010 4:44 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I seriously doubt it. He's going to try to get a nice contract and someone will probably pay it. We have all ready spent a lot of money.

Tue May 04, 2010 4:48 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If his play was only a little better than what we had last year don't get him. We don't need more so so players here, I say we stick with what we got. The new draftee's will bring some good comp to the table, and maybe that will put a fire under some of these guys A..

Tue May 04, 2010 5:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

In my opinion, the Dolphins will use the next month of getting more acclimated with Reshad Jones and their feelings towards the confidence level with Clemons and Culver, then perhaps see if they want to go after Atogwe. Personally, money may not be such an issue if they feel he will be their best chance to win.

However, that being said, I would be more inclined to feel that one of their existing guys will win the job.

It is all speculative anyway and Brandon Marshall is a good example of alot of people not seeing that happening and it did.

Physically, Reshad Jones sure does look impressive, in fact, he looks like a beast that can lay the wood and he has great ball skills, so I have high hopes for him to make a positive impact for the Dolphins and hopefully the missing link at safety.

Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
Could a "report" get more speculative than that?

this "report" sounds more like a post of "I sure hope the dolphins sign Atogwe" to me......yet he supposed to be a paid professional? :hithead:

Tue May 04, 2010 7:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Please not another underachieving safety!!..I would hope that a lesson was learned in the Gabril Wilson experiment?..

Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Despite not having as good a season as the last two I'd say Atogwe is much better than Wilson.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Speaking of guys who haven't signed their tender, has Ronnie Brown signed his yet???
As for Atogwe, the guy has talent. But I just don't see it happening. We've got too many good younger guys on the roster that our staff probably want's to see develop. I think the trio of Culver, Clemons, and Jones will be enough to make for a good training camp battle. Whoever comes out on top should do a good job, or at least better than Wilson.

Tue May 04, 2010 11:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm sure the Jets will sign him anyways. ;)

Tue May 04, 2010 12:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:
I'm sure the Jets will sign him anyways. ;)

nahh, he's only 28. Now if he were 36, maybe they'd consider him...

Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Too much money, there is 5.5 million from Taylor and Smiley, and there has been some savings from trading out of the #12 to #28, but 7 million plus?

We'd have the highest paid everything from Wr to LT to ILB..sooner or later that is not sustainable.

Tue May 04, 2010 3:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

padre31 wrote:
there is 5.5 million from Taylor and Smiley

What?

Tue May 04, 2010 3:47 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:
padre31 wrote:

What?

They had budgeted 2 million to sign Taylor, and Smiley will be gone one way or another and he is making 3 million to 3.5 million, voila..5.5 million that would have been budgeted for salaries this year that won't be spent.

Toss in Odrick at #28 will save millions over whomever at #12..there is some cash floating around whether they will spend it or not remains to be seen.

Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

padre31 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
padre31 wrote:

What?

They had budgeted 2 million to sign Taylor, and Smiley will be gone one way or another and he is making 3 million to 3.5 million, voila..5.5 million that would have been budgeted for salaries this year that won't be spent.

Toss in Odrick at #28 will save millions over whomever at #12..there is some cash floating around whether they will spend it or not remains to be seen.

Yet in the same post you said "too much money" and said Miami can't sustain the highest paid WR, LT, RT, and LB. So what're you saying?

Tue May 04, 2010 4:48 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:

Yet in the same post you said "too much money" and said Miami can't sustain the highest paid WR, LT, RT, and LB. So what're you saying?[/quote][/quote]

A team that has the highest paid players at a majority of their positions is unsustainable, just because there is money available does not mean they will, or should, spend it on one Free Agent.

Tue May 04, 2010 5:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

padre31 wrote:
A team that has the highest paid players at a majority of their positions is unsustainable, just because there is money available does not mean they will, or should, spend it on one Free Agent.

So Miami won't sign Otogwe because they already have too many high paid guys, but they have money to spend due to Smiley (who is still on the team) and Jason Taylor, but that's irrelevant so there was no need to bring it up?

Tue May 04, 2010 5:55 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I'm no NFL personnel wizard, but, I'd rather give a cheaper young guy some "on the job" training for a year than overpay for a "pro" ball player.

It would seem prudent to offer a chance to the best of the Culver-Clemons-Jones triumverate rather than pay $6M+/year for Otogwe. Plus, the Dolphins still have to do something with the Allen Brothers.

There are places on the field to pay top money for the best player. It looks like FS is not one of them for the Dolphins, otherwise they'd have snagged Earl Thomas for big money last month.

Personally, I believe this is a evidence of a writer throwing dots out there to connect, so if something along these lines happens, they can then write about how much they know about football. And, if it doesn't happen, no one remembers what was written.

Good observation on the Ronnie Brown tender. Does anyone have any info about that situation? What are the dates to sign by, and what happens if he doesn't sign or does sign?

Tue May 04, 2010 6:04 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Honestly, Atogwe could be, the Atogwe of old or Gibril Wilson if you know what I mean. I don't wanna take a chance on the later. I'd much rather take my chances with Culver, Clemons, and Jones who could honestly be the best one of the bunch.

We are already one of the youngest teams in the league. Let's not forget that. We should develop our players and not have them looking over their shoulders. Make or break! That's what we need to do.

Tue May 04, 2010 6:34 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:
padre31 wrote:

So Miami won't sign Otogwe because they already have too many high paid guys, but they have money to spend due to Smiley (who is still on the team) and Jason Taylor, but that's irrelevant so there was no need to bring it up?

FYI.

Tue May 04, 2010 7:29 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Miami wanted Atowge bad last year according to reports. Then the Rams franchised him. Now with the surgery's and all I'm not sure if Miami still has interest. June 1st will be interesting.

Tue May 04, 2010 7:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

padre31 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
padre31 wrote:

FYI.

:yay:

Tue May 04, 2010 8:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I hope we pass on Atogwe, I'd much rather see us continue with our youth movement and develop the young guys we already have.

Tue May 04, 2010 8:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]